Legendary relic

As a side matter, something i have noticed right now. Some of the descriptions for Exotic Relics and their Legendary version seem to differ.

Example:

Exotic Relic of the Flock: "Heal yourself and nearby allies after you use a healing skill. Excess healing is converted to barrier.".

Legendary version: "Grant barrier to yourself and nearby allies after you use a healing skill."

Wonder if that's just a description difference (and if so, why?), or is the actual effect different as well.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

3 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

As a side matter, something i have noticed right now. Some of the descriptions for Exotic Relics and their Legendary version seem to differ.

Exotic Relic of the Flock: "Heal yourself and nearby allies after you use a healing skill. Excess healing is converted to barrier.".

Legendary version: "Grant barrier to yourself and nearby allies after you use a healing skill"

Interesting.  Is that just a tooltip typo?  Is the legendary relic still healing allies in addition to making barrier?  Or are you only giving barrier to allies when you heal?

Last time I checked, none of legendary gear, allowed access to stats from expansions one does not own. Since announcement of legendary relic, specifically stated, that it would work like other legendaries for pre-SotO and SotO stuff, but will diverge on mechanic with having to unlock stuff from expac 5 onwards, I'd guess it should be logical, that owning legendary relic, but not SotO would not give you access to SotO relics with it.

Same would apply if you had SotO and no other expacs, if AN has ever filled the relic lists for other expansions than SotO (to my knowledge currently we only have base game relics, and SotO relics....)

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Interesting.  Is that just a tooltip typo?  Is the legendary relic still healing allies in addition to making barrier?  Or are you only giving barrier to allies when you heal?

Legendary one does not heal. Just checked while having minimal amount of hps (so healing skill would not get me to max), and got a full-sized barrier and no healing. Will still need to do a little more checking before i report it (for example need to check the exotic version, maybe it works now the same way, even if it's not supposed to), but if anyone sees any similar inconsistencies (or confirms this one is mechanical as well), feel free to mention them as well.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

28 minutes ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

Last time I checked, none of legendary gear, allowed access to stats from expansions one does not own.

You are incorrect about that. So far every legendary item would grant access to everything related, regardless of expansion owership.

28 minutes ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

Since announcement of legendary relic, specifically stated, that it would work like other legendaries for pre-SotO and SotO stuff,

Exactly. You see where the problem lies?

It's not about not getting "free" access to expansion relics - i don't think anyone expected that before anet's misleading post anyway. It's about the discrepancy between what was said (or at least strongly implied, by deliberatly keeping relevant information a secret) and what was delivered.

And i don't even get what benefits they expect from that. It just fosters distrust ...

@Flock relic

It was recently changed from giving only barrier to healing + barrier. Looks like not letting the legendary relic update automatically might bite anet into the back in the end. At least a little bit 😛

Edited by Zyreva.1078
  • Like 9
  • Confused 1

I believe anet did their best to be be communicative and do right for the community. We can split hairs about the specific language, but in the end, you misunderstood their intent. Some of that is on them and some is on you. It makes sense to me to be how it is.

• Thanks 6
  • Confused 7

2 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

Last time I checked, none of legendary gear, allowed access to stats from expansions one does not own

Did you ever check? Legendaries have always provided every stat combo, regardless of expac ownership. A cursory Google search would have demonstrated that. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

8 hours ago, drubid.6482 said:

I believe anet did their best to be be communicative and do right for the community. We can split hairs about the specific language, but in the end, you misunderstood their intent. Some of that is on them and some is on you. It makes sense to me to be how it is.

I really don't.  I think Anet is trying to maximize profits by relegating the old rune effects to DLC and breaking the cottage rule on legendaries to incentivize us to buy expansions.  There was nothing wrong with the old rune system, so really what they're doing is their best to get money and not what is right for the community.  

• Like 4
  • Confused 5

2 hours ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

I really don't.  I think Anet is trying to maximize profits by relegating the old rune effects to DLC and breaking the cottage rule on legendaries to incentivize us to buy expansions.  There was nothing wrong with the old rune system, so really what they're doing is their best to get money and not what is right for the community.  

Yep. Pushing expansion sales via taking away something people already had and putting it in another form. Does not give confidence that they have a team left who can create much of anything saleable; maybe they do, maybe they don't, but if this is their choice for how to make sales, to me it gives off the impression they have no confidence in their designers, or don't have any left who can work on GW2. Like to do a little analogy, if I was at a restaurant and the meal came fine but I wanted to save room for dessert, so I got a box for it and ordered dessert. And then the waiter opened the box, rearranged some things, and said "here's your dessert," not only would I be confused and disappointed, my assumption would be that the chef had gone home and they had no one there to make a dessert.

Effectively being asked to pay for what you already paid for, re-earn what you already earned when you were given the impression of longevity, however you want to look at it, is never a good look.

• Like 4
  • Confused 4

13 hours ago, LSD.4673 said:

Did you ever check? Legendaries have always provided every stat combo, regardless of expac ownership. A cursory Google search would have demonstrated that. 

Yup my 2nd account don't have EoD and i can use EoD stats on my legendaries armors/weapons/Trinkets (but not on ascended item with stats choice). So blog post was misleading when they said that relic come with all soto effect unlocked.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

Nothing wrong with the runes?

Well, I guess that if you love the uniformisation of having like 2 rune for power (1 dominant, 1 niche), 1 rune for support and maybe 4 for condition (1 dominant, 3 for specific conditions), there is nothing wrong there.

But if you like diversity, we now have dozens of differents rune + relic combo.

All of that in the meta, of course.

Not even talking about the fact there tend to be more diversity in the relic themselves compared to 6th bonus

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

Nothing wrong with the runes?

Well, I guess that if you love the uniformisation of having like 2 rune for power (1 dominant, 1 niche), 1 rune for support and maybe 4 for condition (1 dominant, 3 for specific conditions), there is nothing wrong there.

But if you like diversity, we now have dozens of differents rune + relic combo.

All of that in the meta, of course.

Not even talking about the fact there tend to be more diversity in the relic themselves compared to 6th bonus

And the situation now is any different? I mean, rune options are even more narrow now that we don't have to worry about 6th rune effect anymore. And relic options for each role aren't exactly any more numerous. The "relic diversity" you're talking about in the end is just a "diversity" of choosing between predominantly bad options.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

44 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

And the situation now is any different? I mean, rune options are even more narrow now that we don't have to worry about 6th rune effect anymore. And relic options for each role aren't exactly any more numerous. The "relic diversity" you're talking about in the end is just a "diversity" of choosing between predominantly bad options.

Yeah, it's way better now.

Contrary to what you said, before, the meta was basically lock down by a few 6th bonus effect (scholar for power, monk for support), now, every rune with power, ferocity and precision are viable for meta or slightly off meta for power. Contrary to before, where both having less offensive stat and not having +5% damage was more that slightly off meta.

Same for support, going from Monk only to basically every rune with healing and bd, with a few meta and many more slightly off meta.

And from the relic in itself, we went from basically an universal passive damage boost to multiple trigger based damage boost.

For the support part, there are now multiple option to fix some holes in some build or create new strenght whitout losing on healing or bd.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

19 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

Last time I checked, none of legendary gear, allowed access to stats from expansions one does not own. 

I think you're confused with the post about all other stat-selectable gear - legendaries were specifically exempt from this. 

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/upcoming-changes-to-attribute-selectable-gear/?fbclid=IwAR3zU7r-Lg1sqnYzVn-95lLSjyO-0g8kChT1GgiG9RbQaCQGkavVZDwtUTo

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, Zyreva.1078 said:

You are incorrect about that. So far every legendary item would grant access to everything related, regardless of expansion owership.

Exactly. You see where the problem lies?

It's not about not getting "free" access to expansion relics - i don't think anyone expected that before anet's misleading post anyway. It's about the discrepancy between what was said (or at least strongly implied, by deliberatly keeping relevant information a secret) and what was delivered.

And i don't even get what benefits they expect from that. It just fosters distrust ...

17 hours ago, LSD.4673 said:

43 minutes ago, Flowersunshine.7385 said:

I think you're confused with the post about all other stat-selectable gear - legendaries were specifically exempt from this. 

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/upcoming-changes-to-attribute-selectable-gear/?fbclid=IwAR3zU7r-Lg1sqnYzVn-95lLSjyO-0g8kChT1GgiG9RbQaCQGkavVZDwtUTo

I guess I stand corrected. I can see how relic is inconsistent now, and I can see how this could warrant addressing from AN.

• Like 5