Ranger and wvw

Sansar.1302

On 6/3/2024 at 7:35 AM, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Seriously, I'm having reaper's aggressively attempt to chase me down like willbenders now, something is very wrong.

Funny how it was released as this "slow melee spec", but now has mobility and quickness pouring out of its behind.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Lazze.9870 said:

Funny how it was released as this "slow melee spec", but now has mobility and quickness pouring out of its behind.

"This ludicrious spec is balanced by been very slow with low mobility." - Cal Cohen

"We added swords to give necros insane mobility" - Cal Cohen

They literally dont have a clue what they are doing outside of PvE "Make Big Red Bar Go Smaller".

• Like 2

On 6/6/2024 at 8:38 PM, Lazze.9870 said:

Mobility pouring out of it's behind is one thing, the other is that it totally invalidates Anet's 2020 balance patch that saw every single power damage source nerfed to hell in competitive because "it's too unhealthy".

Meanwhile Willbender be like LOL BIG DAMAGE BIG MOBILITY LOLOLOLOLOL. 

• Like 2

While Druid is decent, there's no other reason to play Ranger in WvW. If you roam, you will get destroyed by anyone decent. If you havok, you will be focused first 100% of the time. If you pin snipe, projectile hate negates you. 

And all the while, you are balanced around your pet which is next to completely worthless. Untamed has some great potential for zergs, but the pet insta-dying on entering combat really kills it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

While Druid is decent, there's no other reason to play Ranger in WvW. If you roam, you will get destroyed by anyone decent. If you havok, you will be focused first 100% of the time. If you pin snipe, projectile hate negates you. 

And all the while, you are balanced around your pet which is next to completely worthless. Untamed has some great potential for zergs, but the pet insta-dying on entering combat really kills it.

Soulbeast is pretty decent for damage in zergs atm. Not top tier because it's melee locked, but absolutely playable.

Druid is good. Anet went full ridiculous on the cleanse nerfs (no idea why these weren't split for pvp/wvw, as usual they won't elaborate) considering what druid brings to the table compared to scrapper, but it's still good.

Edited by Lazze.9870

8 hours ago, Yasai.3549 said:

Mobility pouring out of it's behind is one thing, the other is that it totally invalidates Anet's 2020 balance patch that saw every single power damage source nerfed to hell in competitive because "it's too unhealthy".

Meanwhile Willbender be like LOL BIG DAMAGE BIG MOBILITY LOLOLOLOLOL. 

Willy might be the most disgusting thing ever when you consider how it is performing relatively to other classes. Renewed Focus is fine on any other guardian spec, but on willy it is a literal I win/free escape button.

There are obviously other kittenous builds out there, but they are mostly celestial based or stealth/blind spam thieves. There is a reason why willy joined the ranks of most played builds by guilds like SA and such.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

This takes me out everytime, because they refuse to make the pets more viable in competitive situations. So our kit revolves around our pets being alive at base, and hopefully with the ability to actually make use of their skills or hit their targets. Those things do not happen most of the time. It's obviously understood that if a pet is part of the spec's core functionality, then said pet must have decent sustain, and they've demonstrated that understanding with the Mechanist. So, why is this understanding not extended to Rangers?

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Lazze.9870 said:

Willy might be the most disgusting thing ever when you consider how it is performing relatively to other classes. Renewed Focus is fine on any other guardian spec, but on willy it is a literal I win/free escape button.

There are obviously other kittenous builds out there, but they are mostly celestial based or stealth/blind spam thieves. There is a reason why willy joined the ranks of most played builds by guilds like SA and such.

Not saying wb isn't op, but cele ranger is pretty decent against it. Sure, if they run you won't catch them, but you shouldn't lose to it and if they commit to the fight, they will die, at least when they are power, which most of them are.

Generally ranger is still a solid roamer, even after the nerfs. Is there more broken stuff out there? Sure. But with how low the average skill level is, any somewhat decent ranger player should still be able to beat 90+% of players just fine, at least when not too fancy to abuse cele.

• Haha 1

Soulbeast - DPS Soulbeast - MetaBattle Guild Wars 2 Builds

Soulbeast is on par with Berserker/Holosmith/PVindi (also Power mirage I guess but it's rarely played) for the top DPS'er in organized WvW squads right now. It has great access to ranged spike damage with Spit GoopElectrocute, and Storm Spirit. Spit Goop and Electrocute have relatively short recharge times of 15 and 10 seconds respectively, so they can be used on most ranged engages. It's melee cleave is outstanding between Hammer and Mace/Mace, and because Mace/Mace has the ability fully recharge all of its weapon skills, the build essentially has no downtime on melee dps.

Guild Wars 2 - WvW Power Soulbeast Squad Play 2024 [EVO] (youtube.com)

WvW || Soulbeast - [BBC] || Mace/Mace is Crazy, Guys - GW2 (youtube.com)

The build is growing in popularity and was recently moved into the "Great" category of WvW zerg builds on metabattle.

If players in a squad are playing power soulbeast and getting consistently out DPS'd by other players on different professions then it is either an issue of build, player skill, or both.

Edited by Soilder.3607

15 hours ago, meerfunkuhtron.9725 said:

This takes me out everytime, because they refuse to make the pets more viable in competitive situations. So our kit revolves around our pets being alive at base, and hopefully with the ability to actually make use of their skills or hit their targets. Those things do not happen most of the time. It's obviously understood that if a pet is part of the spec's core functionality, then said pet must have decent sustain, and they've demonstrated that understanding with the Mechanist. So, why is this understanding not extended to Rangers?

They've also built mechanics into the game that they didn't have previously, such as dealing less damage per hit after a certain amount of strikes. They could just apply that to damage negation for the pet too. When targeted, the pet should take 100% damage, but when it's just running randomly through AoEs and melting, it shouldn't just vaporise in 2s. 

On 6/10/2024 at 10:10 PM, Zyreva.1078 said:

Not saying wb isn't op, but cele ranger is pretty decent against it. Sure, if they run you won't catch them, but you shouldn't lose to it and if they commit to the fight, they will die, at least when they are power, which most of them are.

Generally ranger is still a solid roamer, even after the nerfs. Is there more broken stuff out there? Sure. But with how low the average skill level is, any somewhat decent ranger player should still be able to beat 90+% of players just fine, at least when not too fancy to abuse cele.

This is 100% false

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sansar.1302 said:

This is 100% false

For context, IIRC they run full cele bunker Druid--so I'd wager that can survive a WB either long enough for it to get bored or make a mistake.  Just stealth 'use' to keep kiting the WB. 

Now, if they are doing this without using stealth I'd love to see it.  

28 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

For context, IIRC they run full cele bunker Druid--so I'd wager that can survive a WB either long enough for it to get bored or make a mistake.  Just stealth 'use' to keep kiting the WB. 

Now, if they are doing this without using stealth I'd love to see it.  

I don't need stealth or a whole lot of kiting to survive a WB in a 1vs1 and i can pressure it enough to force a disengage pretty reliably (if they doesn't run they die, at least if they are power - cele might be able to stalemate if played well). And i have fought good wb.

@Sansar.1302 Feel free to challenge me to a duel on whatever you deem more op than ranger ...

Edited by Zyreva.1078

6 hours ago, Zyreva.1078 said:

I don't need stealth or a whole lot of kiting to survive a WB in a 1vs1 and i can pressure it enough to force a disengage pretty reliably (if they doesn't run they die, at least if they are power - cele might be able to stalemate if played well). And i have fought good wb.

I gotta see it.  

ofc cele, suggesting any other stat combo in WvW right now is facetious.  

Edited by Gotejjeken.1267
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2024 at 12:28 AM, Zyreva.1078 said:

@Sansar.1302 Feel free to challenge me to a duel on whatever you deem more op than ranger ...

I agree with this. I run cele druid without smokescale, have never lost to a WB, only stalemate with a couple of cele ones. They either die or run away. I love fighting WBs because they're usually very cocky and used to winning.

My biggest issue currently is good axe thieves and deadeyes. Any tips on how to fight them?

20 minutes ago, Mystiz.8795 said:

I agree with this. I run cele druid without smokescale, have never lost to a WB, only stalemate with a couple of cele ones. They either die or run away. I love fighting WBs because they're usually very cocky and used to winning.

My biggest issue currently is good axe thieves and deadeyes. Any tips on how to fight them?

Thives is no problem sic em + some burst and 90% of them are dead or run away and those that dont run tanky gear so they have sub part damage and should be no problem. 

• Confused 1

On 6/10/2024 at 10:10 PM, Zyreva.1078 said:

You don't have to tell me anything. I play ranger 95 % of the time and mostly all of it is spent in WvW.

The problem with the argument "cele ranger is decent against it" is that celestial itself is broken as well. Willy doesn't need cele to be broken. That's the difference.

Edited by Lazze.9870
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2024 at 1:08 AM, Soilder.3607 said:

If players in a squad are playing power soulbeast and getting consistently out DPS'd by other players on different professions then it is either an issue of build, player skill, or both.

Except a good Holo should consistently outdps it.

Funny how double mace, hammer and chak is starting to get noticed 4 months after I did it, though.

Edited by Lazze.9870

19 hours ago, Lazze.9870 said:

You don't have to tell me anything. I play ranger 95 % of the time and mostly all of it is spent in WvW.

The problem with the argument "cele ranger is decent against it" is that celestial itself is broken as well. Willy doesn't need cele to be broken. That's the difference.

Playtime alone doesn't mean much.

And since cele is most likely going to stay as it is, it doesn't make sense to pretend it doesn't exist and whether something is op with or without cele doesn't matter.

(And i'm sure ranger would still  be fine with cele removed/nerfed , because unlike some other classes/specs it isn't actually reliant on those stats)

21 hours ago, Zyreva.1078 said:

Playtime alone doesn't mean much.

And since cele is most likely going to stay as it is, it doesn't make sense to pretend it doesn't exist and whether something is op with or without cele doesn't matter.

(And i'm sure ranger would still  be fine with cele removed/nerfed , because unlike some other classes/specs it isn't actually reliant on those stats)

I never mentioned actual "playtime". But let me tell you in a way you understand then: there is nothing you can tell me about ranger that I already don't know. Capiche? So stop wasting your time.

Pretend what? I'm making a statement. Cele is broken. Willbender is inherently broken despite its stats.

The irony of suggesting cele ranger to fight willbender, and then proceed to claim that ranger would be completely fine without cele stats. Why do you suggest cele ranger as your build of choice in the first place, then?

This is just me following your argument, in case you didn't catch that yet.

Edited by Lazze.9870
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Lazze.9870 said:

Why do you suggest cele ranger as your build of choice in the first place, then?

Because cele is op?

But if cele stats were nerfed or removed, you wouldn't have to deal with broken cele builds anymore (which imo are more problematic for ranger than power wb) and therefore other stats would be fine too. As it has been the case before cele buffs.

Edited by Zyreva.1078

On 6/18/2024 at 4:31 PM, Zyreva.1078 said:

Because cele is op?

But if cele stats were nerfed or removed, you wouldn't have to deal with broken cele builds anymore (which imo are more problematic for ranger than power wb) and therefore other stats would be fine too. As it has been the case before cele buffs.

Aaaaaaaaaand we're back to square one. 

What a surprise.

Edited by Lazze.9870
  • Confused 1