Obby Armor variant speculations!

3 sets down! Now to look on to the future variant! But what should I do to prepare? Odds are there will be absolutely NO information on the variant's requirements until the next major update, but we can speculate! So, let's sit down for a minute and think, using the gen 3 variants as a sort of 'guide'.

Realistically:

• More essences, particularly to make amalgamated essences (at least 1 per piece but likely more per piece)
  • Clovers, either directly or in the form or purified essences
  • All 3 map meta rewards (lightning, pouches, screams) at least 1 per piece
  • Some particular achievement/collection pertaining to all the content as a whole
  • Lots of gold and karma to buy some... thing.

Possibly:

• Map currencies, perhaps included to a hefty gold/karma purchase
  • The upcoming fractal and/or strike mission
  • Unstable Kryptis essences
  • Some sort of additional crafting
  • Quaggan sacrifice?

What do you guys think? Got any other ideas for prep towards the variant?

Again, THIS IS PURE SPECULATION. Don't go buying yourself a stack of unstable kryptis essences and get angry at me later.

Edited by Zera.9435
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Zera.9435 changed the title to Obby Armor variant speculations!
9 hours ago, KindredPhoenyx.8976 said:

I think if I have to do any more rift farming with the variants, I'm going to eat someone's shoe due to the loss of what's left of my sanity. 

You'll be fine. At the very least, it won't be as extensive of a farm as it was for the armor itself.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, KindredPhoenyx.8976 said:

I think if I have to do any more rift farming with the variants, I'm going to eat someone's shoe due to the loss of what's left of my sanity. 

With the laces.  Seriously.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure about the crafting requirements, but as far as looks I'm imagining it'll be the existing set but covered in glowing runes or something similar that'll be dyable via the missing dye channel. It'd make sense if it needed purified Kryptis essence since that item was fairly under-utilized overall.

• Like 3

Just now, Kanaima.2546 said:

Not sure about the crafting requirements, but as far as looks I'm imagining it'll be the existing set but covered in glowing runes or something similar that'll be dyable via the missing dye channel. It'd make sense if it needed purified Kryptis essence since that item was fairly under-utilized overall.

Yeah that seems very reasonable. I doubt the variant is a completely different look from the current Obby armor, just some added effects, and hopefully another dye channel. Either way, I intend to play casually over the next few months to farm the mats I think will be required.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GBEW.5947 said:

I like this post, I think you did a good job on the speculation, I can't think of anything to add but haven't done any of this set. Looks about what i'd expect though.

Nice that you agree. It lets me know my speculations are at least somewhat reasonable and feasible.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

t2 open world pve armor thats coming in 3 months.

Similar to gen 3 legendary weapon extra skins

Notice, that after their initial calling of tier 2 as variant, more recently they are just saying it's an upgrade. That's not the same.

My guess? They didn't have the time or resources to do an actual variant, but had both tiers already mentioned, so decided to strip SFX from the base version and will use it for tier 2 instead of variant look.

• Like 2
  • Confused 6

6 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Notice, that after their initial calling of tier 2 as variant, more recently they are just saying it's an upgrade. That's not the same.

My guess? They didn't have the time or resources to do an actual variant, but had both tiers already mentioned, so decided to strip SFX from the base version and will use it for tier 2 instead of variant look.

Entirely possible. Either way it gives me something to work on and I'm here for it.

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 3:28 PM, KindredPhoenyx.8976 said:

You have a break now. What I do now is that I just do the Convergences and slowly accumulate extraction chests and Nuggets. Once we know if we need more Essence for anything I can just open them and the amount should be enough to cover it. I'd just need to convert them. If you do the same, keep them in their original form and only open them after the patch if necessary since the amount would flood your storage and then overflow.

As for the map items. I'm just meandering around doing the chests on the map slowly to get Ancient Coins since with the next expansion they'll turn into Unusual Coins and then I can use them to buy Jade Runestones.

Edited by Malus.2184
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

I'm preeeetty sure it was said t2 will be a variant "but not exactly understood like a gen3 weapon variants" (or something along these lines). I don't think they suddenly changed their mind on anything by referring to it as an "upgrade" -that's mostly how I understood it in the first place.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I'm preeeetty sure it was said t2 will be a variant "but not exactly understood like a gen3 weapon variants" (or something along these lines). I don't think they suddenly changed their mind on anything by referring to it as an "upgrade" -that's mostly how I understood it in the first place.

They specifically mentioned gen 3 variants as the example, (not as the "not example"). Aurene variants qualitywise are about the same. The Aurene variants do not have a better, bigger aura or sfx elements base version lack. Each element variants have, the base Aurene legendarieshave as well. The only difference is in aestethics theme/coloring.

The t1/t2 obby does not seem to be like that. T1 does not have any kind of SFXes usually attached to legendary gear - but we do know those are planned, because they were mentioned in the blog. Meaning, they willl almost certainly be present in tier 2. That's not a variant. That's an upgrade in style of the luminescent, elegy/requiem, blooming shard etc 2-tier models of armor. And those concepts are very, very different from each other.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

4 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

They specifically mentioned gen 3 variants as the example, (not as the "not example"). Aurene variants qualitywise are about the same. The Aurene variants do not have a better, bigger aura or sfx elements base version lack. Each element variants have, the base Aurene legendarieshave as well. The only difference is in aestethics theme/coloring.

The t1/t2 obby does not seem to be like that. T1 does not have any kind of SFXes usually attached to legendary gear - but we do know those are planned, because they were mentioned in the blog. Meaning, they willl almost certainly be present in tier 2. That's not a variant. That's an upgrade in style of the luminescent, elegy/requiem, blooming shard etc 2-tier models of armor. And those concepts are very, very different from each other.

I get your point, although the way they're referred to as "tier 1"/"tier 2" points to me that it wasn't exactly planned a sidegrade variant.
I went back to that post and the mention about aurene variants (at least the one mention I'm aware of) was in a direct answer to question about unlocking the tier 2 and whether the tier 1 will be used as a component, part of legendary collection unlock or if it will be an actual legendary armor by itself. So basically the answer given there was about "tier 2 skin unlock method being similar to gen3 variant unlock".

• Like 2

I currently finished the light set since the majority of characters on my account are in light armour.   The rest are equal parts medium and heavy, but I am choosing to hold off getting the other three sets to save all the stuff I have been collecting, until I see what the final versions of them all will  be.

Judging from the dye channels, maybe there will be four on the "upgrades" or "t2" or whatever people want to call them, instead of the three we have now is one guess.

I also noticed that depending on the dye I use on the light pieces, there seems to be some sort of texture lines on the body pieces which look like they could sport either another type of embellishment, strap set, etc. but they could also be meant for fx spots, if that is their intention. 

What I have also tried is dying the "metal" parts to see if they will hold colour more like cloth, and for the most part they do -- so people complaining about not wanting shiney light armour metals don't actually have to put up with that if they bother to dye them something other than another another metalic colour - I have gotten mine to mostly look like stitching now, which is pretty cool I gotta say.

I can't really imagine them making the sets animate like the Envoy sets.  As far as I am concerned the Heavy Envoy is by far the best set in the game so making something even remotely working like that isn't going to happen.  But I do see some room for something that will add some life to otherwise flat pieces.  Mostly, I think they need to first address some of the fit issues I have seen, for Charr and especially for Sylvari -- poor things in heavy are running around with smooshed faces!  😂

• Like 1

My basic speculation is that it will require beating all convergence bosses, as well as events tied to whichever variant you’re working on, but we don’t know what those are yet. It was started it won’t be a 1:1 correlation like the gen3 variants, maybe we’ll see something like a Kryptis/Astral/Arcane aura. 
I do expect a moderate grind and a heavy currency and material sink. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I wonder if the chest piece would have some sort of extra effect like the PvP and WvW chests with tentacles coming out from the back.

Or if they take the PvE route and make the armor transformable. 

Imagine it being both, [Extra Effects + Transformable], that'll anger so many people. 🤣

Edited by Royal Grand Majesty.9852
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I really hope that tier 2 will be variants (like Aurene's weapons) instead of upgrades (like Mistforged armors). Variants will give us more selections of armors to choose from. Upgrades will simply negate the tier 1 skins.

Also, I hope Anet will give us some more info regarding tier 2 armors (sooner than later). Concept art to give us some idea what they will look like, as well as more info on the materials we need to farm would be great.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, BlueJin.4127 said:

I really hope that tier 2 will be variants (like Aurene's weapons) instead of upgrades (like Mistforged armors). Variants will give us more selections of armors to choose from. Upgrades will simply negate the tier 1 skins.

Also, I hope Anet will give us some more info regarding tier 2 armors (sooner than later). Concept art to give us some idea what they will look like, as well as more info on the materials we need to farm would be great.

I'm guessing that we will get info on what will be required for the T2 version 2 weeks prior to release at the earliest, if any at all.

On 3/1/2024 at 12:55 PM, DarcShriek.5829 said:

My speculation is that people will complain that it is too expensive and too ugly.

kittenin aye right. That is guaranteed.

Edited by Zera.9435