QoL - Trash materials

Guildwars 2 got much trash materials over the years that can't be sold or have no value for player's in the trading post or have a very long crafting way to become a sellable item with a low benefit. 

In endgame many player's throw them away before they fill the bank storage or material storage. 

Some of these are: 

- Hatched chili (!!!)

- Legendary insights (if the legendary armor is finished)

- Pulsing brandsparks

- Resonating slivers and above materials 

- Vials, globs and shards of mists essence

- Ascended materials of HoT (bottles of airship oil and ley line sparks)

- balls of dark energy

- globs of dark matter

- Vision crystals and Lesser vision crystals 

- Shard of ... (for legendary weapons; if you accidently got more than you needed)

- junk of pure jade

- Many cooking materials, like plants and vegetables

- Candy cane (Winterday material)

- Halloween materials (skulls, fangs and nougat)

- kryptis essences

Some of them, like the hatched chili and vegetables, should give karma at a yearly thanksgiving event with a big stew 🙂

Do you have the same problems with all that materials?

Edited by Iustitian.9176
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

Li's go into the wallet, so you can strike those, right?

How big is your material storage? You have that many vision crystals (for example)?

Some of those have vendor values, so you can just sell the excess to a merchant if they don't sell on the TP.

Some of those do sell on the TP (candy cane, others?)

If you can't sell it, and don't need it, just delete the excess? That's what I do with the hatched chili.

• Like 4

It would be nice if many of these materials at least had some merchant value - it somehow would feel better selling those hatched chilies for 2c each (whopping an entire 5s for a stack of them) vs just destroying them, but that is what I do now.  The entire hatched chili thing turned me off a bit - spent money (in game gold or whatever) on that hatched chili node for your home instances?  Congratulations sucker, you have spent money on something in which the only use is to destroy the materials you get from it, or perhaps very minor benefit of getting bonus materials with your harvesting tool (which is only reason I still harvest, as with unbreakable tools, at least it isn't literally costing me more than the value one gets vs if one is actually buying consumable harvesting tools with gold)

I had hoped that when they did ascended cooking, and the needing to compost, that could be a good way to give at least some value to many of those items that have really no value (eg, take 4 of the same item and you can turn it into a pile of compost), but that didn't happen, so you have to use the original recipes that take other valuable items and then figure out what is the cheapest way to make that compost (fortunately, external sites like gw2 efficiency may make that easier, but it isn't a great user experience to be needing to figure those things out so as not to waste a lot of gold).

Some account bound items with have no value to the player once all the items one needs to make from them have been created - there isn't really a way around that, other than giving some minimal merchant value.  I suspect the reason there is no merchant value is they didn't want players mistakenly selling these hard to get/potentially valuable items because they see a 2c merchant value and think it is useless.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Iustitian.9176 said:

Some of these are: 

- Hatched chili (!!!)

Kinda agree. You won't get much of them, if you don't play Grothmar Valley though.

- Legendary insights (if the legendary armor is finished)

They already are a wallet currency. I wish they could be used for more than legy raid stuff though.

- Pulsing brandsparks

I agree. I don't really get that much of them though.

- Resonating slivers and above materials 

Agree

- Vials, globs and shards of mists essence

Agree

- Ascended materials of HoT (bottles of airship oil and ley line sparks)

Agree

- balls of dark energy

Agree

- globs of dark matter

Agree

- Vision crystals and Lesser vision crystals 

Agree

- Shard of ... (if you accidently got more than you needed)

Not sure what shards you mean.
Shards of Glory can be sold, it's fine.
Shards for gen2 legendaries need to be crafted. If you don't need them, you don't craft them.

- junk of pure jade

They have some value. Even when sold to vendor, with 2.5s per piece your get good gold.

- Many cooking materials, like plants and vegetables

Agree

- Candy cane (Winterday material)

They are consumables and give you a 10% karma boost.
They already have a good purpose. The max duration stacking could be more than 30m though.

- Halloween materials (skulls, fangs and nougat)

With the amount we get from Halloween I don't think adding more buyable stuff would change anything.
They already added the upgraded versions to the weekly halloween vendor.
Other than that, selling them to a vendor for 65s per stack is fine. It's a good additional income on halloween.

- kryptis essences

You can always turn them into Kryptis Motivations and sell them.
Doesn't work for the T3 essences though and an easier option to turn them into something useful would be nice.

Edited by kiroho.4738
  • Like 2

Trash items are up there with bags in bags in bags: it's what makes up the core gw2 experience. You can spam auto attack and clear 99.9% of the game, but inventory management? The the real challenge mode. 

I wouldn't hold my breath on them ever resolving this. but then they did suddenly 180 on the utterly worthless, constantly dropped, and type-to-delete annoyance that was the WvW Conflux emblems, so hey, let's get to breath holding.

• Confused 3

LI and balls of dark energy is somewhat a luxury problem in my opinion. Other than that I agree. I also want to add the huge amount of worthless materials like leaf fossils which are so cheap you cant even sell them on TP unless for 3c.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LSD.4673 said:

Trash items are up there with bags in bags in bags

Fun Fact: That "problem" got fixed years ago already.

It was mainly a thing in HoT, but it got turned down. Nowadays it's only a thing at WvW/PvP reward tracks (And I think 1-2 HoT bags).

However, the myth still lives. 🙂 

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, kiroho.4738 said:

Fun Fact: That "problem" got fixed years ago already.

It was mainly a thing in HoT, but it got turned down. Nowadays it's only a thing at WvW/PvP reward tracks (And I think 1-2 HoT bags).

However, the myth still lives. 🙂 

You're forgetting SW and Dry Top. I spend most time in WvW, but it's not just a WvW issue.

You still get containers with bags in all over the place, replete with pointless consumables that should be autoconsume.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

My favorite are the spirit shard reward bags. They go into the wallet, so there is absolutely no reason to give a bag that has to be opened. Nobody thinks, "Huh. Maybe I'll store this bag in my bank until I need them." 🤔

• Like 5

You're forgetting SW and Dry Top.

Could you elaborate?

You still get containers with bags in all over the place

Containers and bags are not the same.
Some containers (like those from champion) can drop Bags of Stolen Goods and alike.
These bags are different, they are sellable and don't contain other bags.

There are no (or barely any) container within containers anymore. Only said bags within containers.
So no "bags in bags in bags" (or containers in containers in containers).

Edited by kiroho.4738
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I'd like to keep my champion bags, tyvm. I open them on a low-level character to get low-level gear to salvage for low-level mats that would otherwise take ages to farm or lots of gold to buy. (And I don't want to imagine what's gonna happen to the price of platinum and iron when bag-openers are no longer a thing...) 

On the topic of trash materials: half of these items aren't an issue in my game, I have like a handful of most of these things. But I don't think there's anything wrong with at least giving everything a vendor price. I have the kudzu garden with a glyph of reaping on my harvesting sickle, so I get lots of sugar pumpkins etc. that don't sell on the tp. But a stack is almost a quarter gold at the vendor, so I'm satisfied with that.

It's a sad business when people start avoiding content so they don't end up with certain types of loot. 

Highest priority to get a fix are the HoT-mats, hatched chilli's, prismaticite and SotO-essences.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I was going to say I think laurels might be redundant now (I know that's a currency, not an item), since they only come from daily and weekly achievements and achievement point chests and astral acclaim does pretty much the same thing. Then I realised the difference is we can store as many laurels as we want but only 1,300 AA (or 1,799 if you're on 1,299 and then get a 500AA achievement), so if they were merged it would make buying anything from laurel vendors annoying, even if the prices were corrected to allow for the conversion being removed.

On 3/6/2024 at 8:57 PM, DeanBB.4268 said:

My favorite are the spirit shard reward bags. They go into the wallet, so there is absolutely no reason to give a bag that has to be opened. Nobody thinks, "Huh. Maybe I'll store this bag in my bank until I need them." 🤔

I think those can be useful for making it obvious to players they got a spirit shard. I have no idea how many I have in my wallet so if they just go in there I'd have no idea I got them unless I happen to catch the little icon at the side of the screen. But I think that's only necessary when you're buying it from somewhere - like converting tomes of knowledge into spirit shards. If they're just a drop then I agree they can go straight in the wallet.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 2