Female Asura Player Character's Voice Changed?

Gaming companies don’t always keep the same voice actors throughout the life of their products, same people aren’t always available when you need them and all that,  but they nearly always keep the existing/old recorded dialogue and just use the new actor for new dialogue because voice acting is expensive.

It has happened though. Blizzard did it with Quinton Flynn because some high profile charges were leveled at the actor at one point  and the company felt inclined to completely dissociate with him.  Blizz was also dealing with a ton of other harassment and discrimination lawsuits at the same time and the general consensus is that they did what they did with the voice actor to show that “we take these kinds of things seriously”; if Blizz wasn’t in such legal hot water in so many other areas they would have not done anything.  That sort of thing is extremely rare though. 

Edited by Tinker.6924
  • Confused 2

I don't play a female asura so I cannot say for sure, but:

• This is the only thread I've seen on this topic since the patch (here or on Reddit). If there was a change more people would have noticed I'd imagine, considering female asura's a popular race/gender.
  • I haven't seen any changes in the various spots that list voice actors in the Wiki for the female asura player character. I know that's a player-maintained space though.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

The last two times a player character's voice changed (male and female charr both got new voice actors), ArenaNet sent out an announcement to let everyone know. If there's been no announcement about the female asura VA, presumably you ran into a bug instead of a legitimate change.

Edited by Batel.9206
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/7/2024 at 3:17 PM, Tinker.6924 said:

Gaming companies don’t always keep the same voice actors throughout the life of their products, same people aren’t always available when you need them and all that,  but they nearly always keep the existing/old recorded dialogue and just use the new actor for new dialogue because voice acting is expensive.

It has happened though. Blizzard did it with Quinton Flynn because some high profile charges were leveled at the actor at one point  and the company felt inclined to completely dissociate with him.  Blizz was also dealing with a ton of other harassment and discrimination lawsuits at the same time and the general consensus is that they did what they did with the voice actor to show that “we take these kinds of things seriously”; if Blizz wasn’t in such legal hot water in so many other areas they would have not done anything.  That sort of thing is extremely rare though. 

We later called this "getting Mcree'd"

• Confused 2

it hasn't changed as far as i know, but keep in mind the asura female voice actor is now nearly 13 years older than when the core lines were recorded. this is also why zojja sounded quite a bit different when she returned for secrets of the obscure, compared to the personal story and dungeons in core.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...