Update to Old Armor Sets?

Probably not going to ever happen because there is no incentive on their end to do it, but I would LOVE seeing some of the old armor sets gets graphical upgrades. You can vastly tell a difference in quality (look at, say Koda armor, Dry Bones armor, or even Whisper's Secret armor) from older sets and would love them to have a pass on appearing more appealing. Not even an entire overhaul, just more attention to the detail put into them. You hardly see people wear older sets and would bring them up to par with newer items.

Thoughts?

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

While I would love that to happen, they stated a while ago that armors were already insanely time consuming for them.

So I think that the best thing to do is pushing new content instead of reworking existing one.

Unless there's a magic trick to re-do those set like very, very fast.

Edited by Aesyr.6059
  • Like 1

Well they did those flame armor sets a few years ago.  Those were just existing armor with fire and glow effects added.  If they recycled armor like that again it would be an opportunity to update the dye channels ect.  

They probably should just release premium gemstore versions of each armor set.  Perhaps without the extra glow or elemental effects.  Ideally they would also remove some of the extra spikes, ropes, and shashes that just add clutter.

I would buy them.

• Confused 1

Improving the textures may be nice, but I'd rather not see the armour pieces I use getting bloated with more details.

I like my gear being nice and simple, instead of being over-designed trash.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I'd say it depends on what exactly "updating" them means. If there's places where they're noticeably more blocky or flat than newer pieces (like features or fur that's one solid lump) then maybe changing that would be ok as long as the changes are minimal. But if there's any possibility of adding more effects, patterns, accessories etc. then I'd rather not because it's nice to have the option to use simpler armour pieces and I'd hate to lose the ones I like using for new "improved" versions.

Maybe a better approach would be what they did with the Aureate weapons - they made new, more colourful versions for Lunar New Year but kept the originals available too so people who prefer the originals can still use them (which is good because I think they're one of the most popular 'realistic' weapon sets). Then when they "fixed" the new ones to also glow they kept the version without the glow available too for players who preferred that.

• Like 7

I assume if they have the original master model files it's probably not too hard. Original masters from artists are usually insanely highly detailed before scaled down to actually work in the game.

But they would probably feel the need to censor them too.

Also it wouldn't make anet any money, so they don't have any financial incentive to do this unless they had some bored artists or something.

Edited by SinisterSlay.6973
  • Confused 3

Honestly hoping for character model updates first - update the texture resolution and polygon counts, maybe minimal animation work where needed (charr tails perhaps) - and then maybe update old armour sets afterward.

I'm all for keeping this game looking the best ever.

47 minutes ago, Kiki.9450 said:

Honestly hoping for character model updates first - update the texture resolution and polygon counts, maybe minimal animation work where needed (charr tails perhaps) - and then maybe update old armour sets afterward.

I'm all for keeping this game looking the best ever.

I could use some wrinkles. Otherwise I want whatever moisturiser my characters use to keep such smooth, young looking skin after 11 years of stress

• Haha 4