Prediction: Next weapon is Spear

Yerlock.4678

I think they need to add a new weapon at this point, it’s getting pretty congested with all the weapon variants in game. 
Will see how poorly this prediction ages lol.

Edit: it didn’t age poorly at all.

Edited by Yerlock.4678
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Either a spear or trident as a condi weapon choice would be cool to see. Variety is the spice of life after all and its always been bizarre to me that they have all these weapons already in the game with all the artwork finished and all they need to become land weapons is some code and animation work.

At this point, I do wonder if adding a new weapon is for some weird reason fundamentally difficult to do in their engine/code.

Intuitively, from a third-party perspective, I would assume not.

But maybe there is some sort of issue with the way they have the weapon categories coded into the game. And as a result, they haven't been able to add new ones (even moving something from "under water" to "land").

The skins being the other obvious, and most likely, reason. They would be accepting a permanent increase to their development costs for adding new weapon sets if they elected to add a new weapon type. Even spear/trident/harpoon gun. Yes, there's some existing skins. But they haven't kept up with that since... HoT I think?

Also, they seem allergic to adding new animation. So fat chance of us getting suitable looking skills to go with it, even if they do add new weapons.

Hope you're ready to "triple chop" with your spear, when they inevitably recycle the animation again lol

I think we're going to see them try to find new uses for exiting weapons instead.

For example, maybe one of the magic professions will get main hand focus as a melee weapon, but it's used as a magical whip (air attune Ele dagger auto-attack animation, but with different VFX).

Or the infamous main hand shield.

50 minutes ago, Arewn.2368 said:

But maybe there is some sort of issue with the way they have the weapon categories coded into the game.

These sort of issues are almost always management issues and I doubt its any different in this case.

6 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

I vaguely recall at one point it was expressed that catching up on art assets was one of the main barriers to introducing new weapons. Not 100% sure now that it was an official comment, though.

I can concur with you. I remember that too. Was also why they reuse a lot of the animations on weapons lately. 

13 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

I vaguely recall at one point it was expressed that catching up on art assets was one of the main barriers to introducing new weapons. Not 100% sure now that it was an official comment, though.

Do you mean like making more 3d models for a new weapon? I think spear would be easier on them since they have underwater spears already. Just borrow those skins to use on land as a shortcut or head start.

7 minutes ago, gmmg.9210 said:

Do you mean like making more 3d models for a new weapon? I think spear would be easier on them since they have underwater spears already. Just borrow those skins to use on land as a shortcut or head start.

I think it is more that they do not want to commit to having to create more models in the future, which they would have to do if they ported UW weapons to land.

3 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

I think it is more that they do not want to commit to having to create more models in the future, which they would have to do if they ported UW weapons to land.

Okay I get that, but don't they add new weapon skins in the gem store and skiffs as well? Those must be new models. I'm confused lol

I am in the camp of we need shotgun MH pistol, with midrange, cone shaped attack, and shrapnels spread around main target. Rifle is fun, but also very focused on single tartget which is often not a case.

As for water weapons, they could mention underwater weapons more often in specialization. Like you get bonus ferocity on axes but also spears, your hammer spread weakness but so does harpoon. Without specialization boons underwater combat is dumped, and it feels slower, making it less dynamic and wet noodle fight.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2024 at 11:12 AM, Arewn.2368 said:

At this point, I do wonder if adding a new weapon is for some weird reason fundamentally difficult to do in their engine/code.

Intuitively, from a third-party perspective, I would assume not.

But maybe there is some sort of issue with the way they have the weapon categories coded into the game. And as a result, they haven't been able to add new ones (even moving something from "under water" to "land").

The skins being the other obvious, and most likely, reason. They would be accepting a permanent increase to their development costs for adding new weapon sets if they elected to add a new weapon type. Even spear/trident/harpoon gun. Yes, there's some existing skins. But they haven't kept up with that since... HoT I think?

Also, they seem allergic to adding new animation. So fat chance of us getting suitable looking skills to go with it, even if they do add new weapons.

Hope you're ready to "triple chop" with your spear, when they inevitably recycle the animation again lol

I think we're going to see them try to find new uses for exiting weapons instead.

For example, maybe one of the magic professions will get main hand focus as a melee weapon, but it's used as a magical whip (air attune Ele dagger auto-attack animation, but with different VFX).

Or the infamous main hand shield.

They added new kits, which technically are their own "weapons", such as Gunsaber. Granted the execution of that is...not great, but that is more to do with the fact that its a kit and not a normal weapon swap.

I don't think we'll get Spear next, though. If anything it will be Focus or Scepter in the off-hand and it will replace Shield as a defensive weapon. Watch.

• 3 weeks later...