Thoughts about GW3 [Merged]

18 minutes ago, Azinoth.1902 said:

But I guess we can at least agree on that the GW3 leak was a disaster and many people have their rights to feel upset and vote with their wallets. We don't have to have the same opinion, and it's fine.

Disaster for Anet, maybe. Who knows, maybe announcement of a new product is a good way to get additional investment capital. Maybe gw2 revenue is not really that important if they have other funding. Gw2 is not that big. Maybe it's only covering it's own development. Maybe development of a new product is doing good for the company's growth and morale. We really have no clue but from my own experience you usually ensure funding for the next big project in advance (I don't work in software development though, but we also have huge multy year projects). And many people prefer to work on a new product instead of same old, same old.

Disaster for customers? Why? Now we know (well we really don't know but ok, let's say we do). Knowing is definitely better for you. You can make better informed decision. It might just feel disappointing because some think this is the downfall for gw2 (which I am not sure, because we really don't know anything). But knowing doesn't really change much beyond you making better decisions.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Azinoth.1902 said:

Statement about what is GW3, is it an MMORPG, are they intend to succeed GW2 with it, or they will run paralell?
Will they keep updating GW2? If not, will our collections carry over to GW3?

I think these are valid questions.

Some more information about GW3 would be nice, certainly.  I feel like planning that far out for GW2 is unrealistic.  Suffice it to say that they are unlikely to drop a product that is still producing for them, although I wouldn't expect them to continue putting out expansions assuming GW3 is successful.  Naturally, that is something we can only know after GW3 is released.

On keeping all of your GW2 swag moving into GW3?  Like...all of it? How does that even work?  I don't get this expectation.  Doing something for their valued customers from GW2 would be nice, but I'm getting the impression some of us are having trouble with the idea of letting go.

• Like 1

I can't wait for GW3!

I'm ready for a new engine update!
I'm ready for a new story!
I'm ready for more fluid skills, combat and PvP!
I'm ready for pretty new items and skills and weapons and effects in the new engine!
I'm ready for HUGE seamless worlds and BEAUTIFUL cutscenes!
I'm ready for new buildcraft opportunities!
I'm ready for new guilds with old friends, and new friends too!

If you're an old fogey and not ready to move on to new things, stay in GW2 if you want! =]

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

I personally see no interest in Guild Wars 3,
but when they say "ArenaNet assures its players that Guild Wars 2 remains its priority" or "The team is focusing on the development of Guild Wars 2" in the current state, it can be scary. [for those who remain].

In my eyes (and even if I don’t know what their new extension will look like) coming out of the initial (and catastrophic) model anyway, it simply means to me that: nothing will change, no renewal, but a politically correct form of "it will remain as it is". For a game of this scale, I’m not sure that this is the answer that Guild Wars fans would expect (at least for those who have left since Icebrood Saga-EoD). This simply confirms that : the Guild Wars era is just over...
And even if a Guild Wars 3 would be planned in decades, not sure that it would be very interesting with as a base the second missed opus. I think that have little without too much advance do not count on any future significant investment on this game.

Guild Wars 2 is now a failure on a large part of the points (now that have in an overview), and that the true creatives of this company are gone : we can mourn it and let it sink... 😞

Edited by rylien.3824
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5

51 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

I thought they did?  Aren't they on board for at least two more expansions (or is SotO one of those?) And don't we know the framework for the release schedule on those (i.e. the SotO model)?

What are we asking for here? Assurances that GW2 will continue receiving expansions for X number of years into the future?  Such assurances would be meaningless and GW3 doesn't change anything about that. 

That can always change kinda like how legendary relic changed bettwen the blogpost and release.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, Chaos God.1639 said:

ANET basically said that there is still future for Guild Wars and it will be gw3. everybody knows it will takes years to develop it. getting money for it is already a success.

Agree. And in the meantime, GW2 will still get updates obviously.
They already stated plainly that it's their IP cash cow. They're not going to let it suffer and die while (or even after) they produce GW3.
It's just a continuation to attract people back to the IP, and to draw in new players as well.

If you're too invested in GW2, just stay there. They're not going to shut down servers when GW3 is released. Silly old people, rofl

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

There is only one logical step forward given how dated the engine is, and that is a new game. To remake guild wars 2 in unreal would basically be creating a new game and it would be less profitable then a new title. People poised against the game will not try a guild wars 2 reborn. But everyone will at least "try" a guild wars 3

Lets hope they return to the dark fantasy nature of the original guild wars, and leave behind the worst parts of both GW1 and GW2 while retaining the best parts of both. The lessons learned from both games and both games failures should lead to a better product in the long run.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Klaxon.1480 said:

I can't wait for GW3!

I'm ready for a new engine update!
I'm ready for a new story!
I'm ready for more fluid skills, combat and PvP!
I'm ready for pretty new items and skills and weapons and effects in the new engine!
I'm ready for HUGE seamless worlds and BEAUTIFUL cutscenes!
I'm ready for new buildcraft opportunities!
I'm ready for new guilds with old friends, and new friends too!

If you're an old fogey and not ready to move on to new things, stay in GW2 if you want! =]

You are basing this hope on what exactly? If anything you should be sceptical after dead dungeons, dead raids, nothing new for PvP/WvW, IBS, EoD, Gyala, Nayos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

Just now, Reeskel.5698 said:

You are basing this hope on what exactly? If anything you should be sceptical after dead dungeons, dead raids, nothing new for PvP/WvW, IBS, EoD, Gyala, Nayos.

Those were killed by a different team, the limits of the engine makes it impossible clearly for them to work with the game in any substantial way outside of living world format. You want dungeons and raids? A new game would allow for that as the original promise of guild wars 2 is that raids would never exist, that WoW like or BDO/Final fantasy like content would not exist. In a GW3 no such promise and expectation would be set.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

You are basing this hope on what exactly?

Hope is hope. I can hope for someone producing something new to succeed, and I think that's the better option than whinging about something new and exciting happening just because you have to start over, or re-invest in a great product.

🥰

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Thornwolf.9721 said:

Those were killed by a different team, the limits of the engine makes it impossible clearly for them to work with the game in any substantial way outside of living world format. You want dungeons and raids? A new game would allow for that as the original promise of guild wars 2 is that raids would never exist, that WoW like or BDO/Final fantasy like content would not exist. In a GW3 no such promise and expectation would be set.

They never said raids would  never exist, they said explorable dungeons would fill that itch in gw2 but apparently they were misstaken in assuming that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Reeskel.5698 said:

I’m afraid now is not the time for scepticism.
The License is really dead, from the beginning of the game they never knew what to do with it, the evidence is numerous (even Heart of Throns, which was the best expansion they could offer us, was not so incredible, especially since it exists thanks to the demand of players) and the contempt is certain...
I can only wish the incredible graphic designer, game designer and licensed composers to find new projects to bring their touch, which was deserved in contrast to those that the community is now struggling with their limits imposed by questionable directives.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Klaxon.1480 said:

Hope is hope. I can hope for someone producing something new to succeed, and I think that's the better option than whinging about something new and exciting happening just because you have to start over, or re-invest in a great product.

🥰

All I see is cope and cult mentality. Anet doesn't deserve my trust anymore. Not after IBS, trojan scanning, Soto.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

All I see is cope and cult mentality. Anet doesn't deserve my trust anymore. Not after IBS, trojan scanning, Soto.

Hey, if that's how you feel that's fine ^.^

I'm sure there's a better game out there for you. But I certainly hope that GW3 happens, succeeds, and brings in a lot of new players.
I for sure will be doubling down and re-investing in GW3 when it drops. I'm relatively new to the IP, but I enjoyed GW2 for a long time and I will be happy to move to GW3 when it's born

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

They never said raids would  never exist, they said explorable dungeons would fill that itch in gw2 but apparently they were misstaken in assuming that.

They did say that raids wouldn't  exist when the game came out in 2012, it went against the manifesto. I remember when they were talking about their design and WHY they went about the game in the ways they did

Edited by Thornwolf.9721
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, Klaxon.1480 said:

Hey, if that's how you feel that's fine ^.^

I'm sure there's a better game out there for you. But I certainly hope that GW3 happens, succeeds, and brings in a lot of new players.
I for sure will be doubling down and re-investing in GW3 when it drops. I'm relatively new to the IP, but I enjoyed GW2 for a long time and I will be happy to move to GW3 when it's born

You do you. Who am I to deny you  your fun. I am jaded or maybe just tired of mismanagement of this great project that GW2 is.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

So, if the premise is that we can't trust anything ANet says, what good is asking for information on the distant future?

That’s all right.
But by need of information like any business, it is better than the adapted silence of a few official years ago. You should remember the release of End of Dragons, and massive and abusive censorship because the comments were I quote : "too negative" !  All they did was shoot themselves in the foot all along...

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Reeskel.5698 said:

You do you. Who am I to deny you  your fun. I am jaded or maybe just tired of mismanagement of this great project that GW2 is.

Can you walk into their offices and tell them you can do abetter job at managing then they can?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I seriously doubt that the secret UE5 project is GW3. And since that's the case, I doubt that the resources currently available to the GW franchise are big (and passionate) enough to provide a well-wrought, well-executed, fun new game. The current state of GW2 doesn't provide me with much hope in that regard.

• Confused 3

1 minute ago, Nate Anabe.6091 said:

Can you walk into their offices and tell them you can do abetter job at managing then they can?

Frankly, yes.
But the question is not only in this, but in the will to have nothing to fix. I honestly think it’s for most of the cases: voluntary (at least from the directors), and they just don’t care about the community as long as you take out the credit card. I think that’s the real philosophy of this game.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Just now, Nate Anabe.6091 said:

Why should I? I am a paying customer. Are you telling me that I should just pay, shut up, and be excited for another product? Why can't I express my dissatisfaction with them?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1