How are the Casual players doing with their Legendary PVE Armor?

2 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

One thing that's really helped me and I think helped other people too is pointing out that you will never lose progress on a legendary (any legendary) by doing it too slowly. There's no time limit on completing it once you start and things don't get more difficult if you do them a bit at a time. (There might be some very specific exceptions, like if you need to complete 2 Fractals and they're both dailies you'll have an easier time getting them both done that day than if you do one and leave the other for tomorrow.)

A few times I've stopped working on a legendary part-way through, when I was making Ad Infinitum I stopped for about 2 months because there was a new story release and then Wintersday and I wanted to focus on that instead. Afterwards I was able to pick up exactly where I'd left off. With some of the others I've taken shorter breaks because I was getting bored with it, or just had days when I logged in, thought about what I needed to do next and decided I'd rather play something else so I did that instead.

I  get bored easily if I'm just doing the same things over and over (not just in GW2, I specifically look for the type of jobs where I'm never sure exactly what will happen today) so for me it really helps to break up things like farming materials. Even if I know I could get 20 mcguffins a day I'll probably do 1 or 2 runs a day and just accept it'll take longer. When I was getting the skyscale I set myself a maximum of 50 map currency per day (not 50 of each, 50 total) and after that I'd only carry on if I was in the middle of a meta event I wanted to finish. Otherwise I'd go and do something else.

I'll piggy back on this. Getting your first few legendaries is a journey for sure. At some point you realize what you really need to prioritize versus grinding individually, and then legendaries just kind of happen on their own. Things like not gambling in the Mystic Forge for Clovers and instead getting them from other sources.

• Confused 3

8 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

One thing that's really helped me and I think helped other people too is pointing out that you will never lose progress on a legendary (any legendary) by doing it too slowly. There's no time limit on completing it once you start and things don't get more difficult if you do them a bit at a time. (There might be some very specific exceptions, like if you need to complete 2 Fractals and they're both dailies you'll have an easier time getting them both done that day than if you do one and leave the other for tomorrow.)

A few times I've stopped working on a legendary part-way through, when I was making Ad Infinitum I stopped for about 2 months because there was a new story release and then Wintersday and I wanted to focus on that instead. Afterwards I was able to pick up exactly where I'd left off. With some of the others I've taken shorter breaks because I was getting bored with it, or just had days when I logged in, thought about what I needed to do next and decided I'd rather play something else so I did that instead.

I  get bored easily if I'm just doing the same things over and over (not just in GW2, I specifically look for the type of jobs where I'm never sure exactly what will happen today) so for me it really helps to break up things like farming materials. Even if I know I could get 20 mcguffins a day I'll probably do 1 or 2 runs a day and just accept it'll take longer. When I was getting the skyscale I set myself a maximum of 50 map currency per day (not 50 of each, 50 total) and after that I'd only carry on if I was in the middle of a meta event I wanted to finish. Otherwise I'd go and do something else.

For me its a matter of disliking the content needed to get SotO specific materials and the fact that I already have legendary armor for all three weights. The skins alone just are not sufficient to get me to log into SotO maps.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

I've been playing from the beginning, and I'm not even sure where or how to start.  I look into it and see big long lists of stuff I've never had and don't know how to get.  Then I look at my exotics and think, "That'll do for now..."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Not a casual player but my opinion about that armor is i have no interest on collecting that as it includes doing crap like rift hunting so much that i lost interest just by looking what i would be required to do.

• Like 2

"Casual" can mean totally different playstyles and (and stuff you have earned already before the armor got released) for everyone. A new player will have a lot more to do than an older player that already pre-farmed a lot of gold and saved it for such occasions.

Personally I have played from release until 2013, then again from Mid 2019 until now. Had a lot to catch up when I came back in 2019. Still playing chars ##3-9 (I want one of each profession having full world completion and the story done) and doing some of the older achievements. Other than that: Other hobbies + the festivals (currently SAB) take up a lot of time. So it is mostly trying to do a few older things at different places (also leveling a solo guild atm).

For the armor I have finished the pre-achievements + bought the pre-armor (for the achievements that you need to buy the pre-cursor). And done one piece for the vault special task. Pieces 2-6 (for the first armor weight for my main) ... will progress super slow I guess. Maybe just #2-3 this year. Maybe the full set. But I doubt that I'll to the whole 18 pieces. More likely that the next expansoin will keep my busy with other stuff (will probably start late in the year) and there are still other things to catch up. After having finished a few trinkets + the back item (missing the rings) I might do more runes. (Got one so I could get the free relic.) They are usable by all chars. Weapons and the other armor .... sloooooowly.

Stopped doing rifts after the last set got of rifts got released. (Done the permanent achievements and a full run each weep on each map in rotation until then.) Now doing 3 convergences weekly. (Saving the unopened chests so the essences won't clutter the inventory.) Slowly converting some of the older essences I have in the inventory (about 12 amalgamaged or so ... and 4k of the lowest tier essence to convert. I only do 1-2 each week from the ectos I got in tha tweek by normal play - no dedicated farming). A bit meta - switching between each of the maps for currency (hardest are the ones from Amnytas ans Skyward Archipelago). I still need to buy minis there that also need the currency material item (250 base currency converted but I prefer to take the 1 item from the daily meta heroic chest). That one is on hold during SAB festival though.

Provisioner tokens I have about 600-700 left. When I got my unbreakable salvage tools from the gem store I did not use the mystic stones from AP chests for mystic salvage kits. Slowly gave them to the provisioner guy in LA for a token each day.

At the end I guess it just will be painful grind for the money for the gifts of might/magic - to buy that mats (+ buying more ectos that now are more expensive) ... should I plan to speed things up. But since grinding is boring .... I take it slowly.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

The thing about legendary armor is ascended armor is cheap in comparison, sometimes free from the Wizard's Vault, has the same stats and is relatively inexpensive to stat swap if you need to, and transmutation charges are trivial to get, especially if you do WvW.  So unless you really stat swap a lot or would go through transmutation charges all the time, it just feels unnecessary?  The quality of life benefits just aren't there.

Nothing against anyone who's gotten theirs.  Except maybe the "I'm so casual I have multiple accounts and thousands of gold" guy.  I've got a couple of pieces done myself.  And there's always "the prestige" and the sense of accomplishment.  But the cost / benefit ratio just isn't there for a lot of players.  So if you're going to do it, you might as well take your sweet time.  You're not missing out on much in the meantime.  And I'll support you by selling all my Drizzlewood trophies. 💜

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Gwynnion.7364 said:

The thing about legendary armor is ascended armor is cheap in comparison, sometimes free from the Wizard's Vault, has the same stats and is relatively inexpensive to stat swap if you need to, and transmutation charges are trivial to get, especially if you do WvW.  So unless you really stat swap a lot or would go through transmutation charges all the time, it just feels unnecessary?  The quality of life benefits just aren't there.

Nothing against anyone who's gotten theirs.  Except maybe the "I'm so casual I have multiple accounts and thousands of gold" guy.  I've got a couple of pieces done myself.  And there's always "the prestige" and the sense of accomplishment.  But the cost / benefit ratio just isn't there for a lot of players.  So if you're going to do it, you might as well take your sweet time.  You're not missing out on much in the meantime.  And I'll support you by selling all my Drizzlewood trophies. 💜

I would say the quality of life benefits of Legendary armor definitely are there if you play at least a few different characters and builds - avoiding having to buy/arrange new armor or stat swap existing every time you want to try a new build is a significant QoL benefit. Even doing split builds (eg unless I'm doing serious content I quite often run a hybrid combo of power or condi damage stats with some celestial, Legendary armor makes it very easy to dial in as much celestial as you want). Even being able to freely change skins is a QoL benefit which allows you to change you look on a whim without a second thought (long term WvW players etc who have hundreds of transmutation charges wouldn't care but not everyone has that many). So players getting their first legendary armour (particularly a complete set) will enjoy some nice QoL benefits (I certainly enjoyed it when I finished my legendary heavy armour set, my first, earlier this year - I play all three of the heavy armour class professions with multiple builds on each so it's been nice).

However, I definitely agree that the cost / benefit ratio is bad. So saving money is a poor (or non-existent) reason to build legendary armor. Unless you have an awful lot of characters and builds, ascended armor is going to be more cost effective.

Edited by Mistwraithe.3106
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

However, I definitely agree that the cost / benefit ratio is bad. So saving money is a poor (or non-existent) reason to build legendary armor. Unless you have an awful lot of characters and builds, ascended armor is going to be more cost effective.

Yeah, that's basically my thing.  I do think it's useful if you're doing top end instanced content and swap around a lot, but at that point you can get raid legendaries or ascended from fractals pretty easily if you don't have them already.  Personally, I've got a dozen characters with multiple builds and gear sets and they're basically fine as-is, but I'm not playing at that level either.  The legendaries are convenient if you have them, but getting them is more work and more expensive than they deserve.  I actually remember feeling let down by what little legendary weapons and armor actually added, even as I agree they shouldn't have the ultimate best stats or anything either.

13 hours ago, Artemis.8034 said:

My feeling on it is , do it now, because by the time the next xpack releases there will be a lot less people in the zones

Oh, that's definitely true, but I don't enjoy the content either.  SOTO is my least favorite expansion by far.  So if I'm going to do mindlessly repetitive tasks, I can play WvW. LOL.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2nd piece done. Have enough essence for a 3rd piece + a little under halfway to a 4th. Have enough metas done for 2 more pieces. Need to do map comp still. 🤢

Motivations + the Convergence buff + weekly rifts add up quick for essences, let alone doing Convergences themselves. But, gods, I can't imagine farming rifts constantly. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1