Flight of the Bumble Pugs

raykor.6723

It is tough. Some years I'm able to get it by doing the bee dog transform before the race, then flying the whole thing. Can still be close, but it might shave couple seconds on the path here and there. Thankfully, this year there is another annual in the list so you can skip the race and tribulation mode and still get the reward.

12 hours ago, raykor.6723 said:

Is it just me, or is this pretty tough. Got real close several times but breaking that 5 min mark is not easy-especially compared to the annual timed race event in every other festival.

Yeah it’s a bit tight. You can’t fall in the water section, and getting jammed under clouds in bee mode is pretty spectacularly bad as well. The bee handles like a bus and changing altitude takes a moment to react to your key presses. It’s a bit messy tbh, I just did trib mode instead as it was more interesting anyway.

Edited by nosleepdemon.1368

12 hours ago, raykor.6723 said:

Is it just me, or is this pretty tough. Got real close several times but breaking that 5 min mark is not easy-especially compared to the annual timed race event in every other festival.

This helped me a lot 😀

I ignore this one. Not worth the few bauble bubbles (the only reward from there - nothing unique). It is annoying that you can't really train it at your pace since they forgot to add this as a time trial adventure. You need to wait for the race to be up. Last part is the one where it is easiest to mess up. When you need to get the speed boosts when flying.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Luthan.5236 said:

I ignore this one. Not worth the few bauble bubbles (the only reward from there - nothing unique). It is annoying that you can't really train it at your pace since they forgot to add this as a time trial adventure. You need to wait for the race to be up. Last part is the one where it is easiest to mess up. When you need to get the speed boosts when flying.

Isn't there a time trial version? I believe it is collecting coins instead of hitting clouds, but I thought the path was the same.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Luthan.5236 said:

As Tanek said, you can do the Adventure version. You get coins instead of clouds, and the coins are in a slightly different position than the clouds, but the path is the same.

• Like 1

Didn't know about this lol. Must have missed the patch note in 1 or 2 years ago. (Pretty sure this is something that wasn't there from the start and only got patched in much later.) Since I usually look at the markers on the mini map - for adventures - I did not notice. ( No mini map in the SAB hub.) I guess now I need to look for the NPC with the adventure icon above the head. (Odd that I never noticed earlier when doing the race ... race starters usually are next to the guy starting the adventure - with the time trial icon. At least in normal world stuff.)

... and actually ... with the wiki I found it and the guy does not even have an icon above the head lol. That is why I might have missed it. (+ no permanent achievement to fill so there is no reason to look for it.)

Edit: I wonder why they did not just make the normal race into an adventure thing. Coins seems more confusing - when you have all the coin markers pop up everywhere. (Then at least better to do the race once so you have an idea of the route you need to move. 😄 Since the race is better at guiding you to the next point.) But for now I'll ignore it. (Maybe trying at the last day to at least register as silver time since I do not have done it at all - and no lifetime time registered.)

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Gop.8713 said:

Can't start the adventure in bee mode tho, so race still easier . . .

Correct, I found this out as well.  Need to do the race for doing it as a bee.   It will get you the under 5 minute annual achievement. 

23 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Correct, I found this out as well.  Need to do the race for doing it as a bee.   It will get you the under 5 minute annual achievement. 

I have seen a few cheeky cheatersons try that with the race, sitting at the start all smug in bee mode ready to beat all us plebs on foot. It does give me gratification when I am still faster than they are with my pixel perfect this and dodge-jump that 😉

4 minutes ago, nosleepdemon.1368 said:

I have seen a few cheeky cheatersons try that with the race, sitting at the start all smug in bee mode ready to beat all us plebs on foot. It does give me gratification when I am still faster than they are with my pixel perfect this and dodge-jump that 😉

Lol little buggers.  I did it just for the annual because apparently my fingers just won't go fast enough to run it.  That's great that you beat them!!  Ahh the satisfaction 😀 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Lol little buggers.  I did it just for the annual because apparently my fingers just won't go fast enough to run it.  That's great that you beat them!!  Ahh the satisfaction 😀 

If you can handle it in bee mode I’d say your fingers probably work better than you think, I always get stuck on stuff as a bee, or go sailing over/under geometry. What makes that particular race difficult in my opinion is the lack of single player mode. You have to contend with other players who block your sight with their furry bums or jump in the wrong direction and you instinctively follow them.

Edited by nosleepdemon.1368
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nosleepdemon.1368 said:

If you can handle it in bee mode I’d say your fingers probably work better than you think, I always get stuck on stuff as a bee, or go sailing over/under geometry. What makes that particular race difficult in my opinion is the lack of single player mode. You have to contend with other players who block your sight with their furry bums or jump in the wrong direction and you instinctively follow them.

aint it better to be a small bee then?

7 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

aint it better to be a small bee then?

I find their movement to be too imprecise, specifically the vertical motion makes it hard to judge how many times you need to hit raise/lower altitude to be at the right height to hit a coin/cloud.

• Like 2

I have decided to to it after all. Surprisingly with doing the race once (so I roughly knew the supposed route) then doing the adventure ... it went pretty well. Could do some training (instead of having to wait for the next race) by resetting when I fell down when making a mistake. This helped with training the last section.

And yes: Being without the bee (normal form) is much faster in the first part I guess. Since the bee and gaining/losing altitude is the annoying thing. (And maybe one or another part where you need to be careful to not fall down. Or getting stunned. In the dave with the water.) I still had a hard time telling if I am at the correct altidude. (Having to increase again at the coin which slowed me down.) In the end about 4 mins 31 seconds - far away from the top 1000 lifetime and with still a few small mistakes. So there should be some leeway. I recommend the race first to have a rough idea of the route you are supposed to take. Then adventure for training.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1