A simple way to make Dungeons/DRMs relevant

Posted (edited)

Dungeons and DRMs is good content that does not get played as much as it deserves in my opinion. 

I think this could be remedied by simply adding an option to convert dungeon and DRM currency to cryptic essence, with appropriate conversion rates for comparable effort of course. 

It would offer options for the legendary armor besides so many rifts.  I assume it is a very low development cost.

It seems to be a good opportunity.  Thoughts?  

Edited by Drall.2419
typo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

I would have literally zero motivation to play dungeons or DRM for kryptic essence since I am literally swimming in the stuff from playing SoTo.  

If anything, it should be the other way around if you are going to go that far: let us exchange kryptic essence for something, anything, else.  😂

Adding a dungeon or DRM to the WV dailies or weeklies could potentially be more impactful for returning people to play them more.

---Though queue the popcorn and watch the whinging begin if they do, since no doubt someone will get upset that they would "be forced" to play an option in the WV for AA. 🙄

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Would like them to make this content more relevant again

Doesn't have to be cryptic essence

I recently did the DRMs again for the jormag infusion

I found it to be pretty enjoyable this time actually

I ended up doing most of it solo, it was possible to get groups going though, but took some time

But yes, unless you are going for the achievements or items from the vendor, rewards are lacking

I haven't played dungeons in a long time, but apparently they have many issues that they don't want to spend time fixing, so it's abandoned? (At least that's what I've understood)

Edited by jokke.6239
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

They should better the rewards.
Both in terms of raw gold and some better skins.
A daily and weekly rewards for their completion, competitive rewards for them would do wonders, and some interesting new achievements would see players go there more often. 

Add a Dungeon/Response based legendary weapon set. A huge grind once more, but will definetly see that content being filled.
Maybe use Destiny's Edge as an inspiration for several Ascended gear sets - "Rytlock's Ascalon Set" or "Caithe's Nightmare Set" etc.

And the Dungeon Currency to be tradable for more interesting items than just some rare/exotic skins. Could add things like provisioner tokens, mystic coins, etc, on weekly locks or whatever. 

In the end players will go to content that is rewarding, dungeons and responses are not and thats all there is to it.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

I replayed through most of the DRMs to pick up some achievements.  Grinding them out, one notices how repetitive they are - most just boil down to kill a bunch of mobs and then kill a boss.

So while better rewards would get more people to play them, I also think how engaging the content is another factor.  So if the rewards are increased to be on-par with other content, but that other content is more engaging/fun to play, most people will still do that other content vs DRMs.

The WV doesn't seem to have anything from the LWS seasons, and IIRC, DRMs are tied to IBS, so for that reason alone, seems unlike it would get added to the WV.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I think Kryptic essence is always an over rewarded currency. I can’t see how more sources is going to produce more enthusiasm to abandoned content. Dungeons were scrapped in favour of other types of instances and they exist mostly as archived, legacy content. Any incentives come from the legendary gifts or unique skins. If they aren’t enough, essences certainly won’t be.

DRMs don’t really need revitalising either. Unpopularity aside, they are fully completable as solo content. Challenge modes are more difficult, but as optional content and with guilds prob able to organise groups easily enough, I don’t see it necs to incentivise them

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, jokke.6239 said:

I haven't played dungeons in a long time, but apparently they have many issues that they don't want to spend time fixing, so it's abandoned? (At least that's what I've understood)

The problem with dungeons is power creep. 5 experienced players just melts through them

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I think Kryptic essence is always an over rewarded currency. I can’t see how more sources is going to produce more enthusiasm to abandoned content. Dungeons were scrapped in favour of other types of instances and they exist mostly as archived, legacy content. Any incentives come from the legendary gifts or unique skins. If they aren’t enough, essences certainly won’t be.

DRMs don’t really need revitalising either. Unpopularity aside, they are fully completable as solo content. Challenge modes are more difficult, but as optional content and with guilds prob able to organise groups easily enough, I don’t see it necs to incentivise them

Even DRM CMs are meant to be solod, unless everyone going in is a sweaty gamer.
The average casual going in, just makes the boss HP/Defiance/Atk go up, making it harder to burst/CC/tank these bosses
With the exception of Snowden bug where Ryland gets boons from EMP, there is absolutely no reason to do DRMs with the vast majority of peeps.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

It’s been always proven that as long as the reward is worth it, then people will do the content no matter how dull or mundane the content is. I don’t think anyone ever thinks Dragonstorm is fun or engaging, but people still do it daily anyway. Same with Rift hunting or Convergence, they both are incredibly dull content and as shown right here no one thinks of them as fun, but heaps of people still do them for the armor. And if anyone talks about repetitiveness then running daily Fractals is the king of repetitiveness, and yet it’s still popular for the past 10+ years simply for the absurd gold it generates.

Likewise with Dungeon and DRM. The problem is simply that these 2 have nothing to offer. So let’s add something to them.

For Dungeons then I’ve been saying it for a while, but make Dungeons another sure way to get Mystic Clovers. That’s it. Yes I’m aware you’ll swim in Clovers if you play WvW, but that’s a dead game mode and we don’t like to talk about it. For pure PvE players then Clovers are really difficult to get, unless you resort to gambling in the toilet and flush all your gold and dignity away. Why Clovers specifically? Because it’s the one thing consistently used in every Legendary from gen 1 til now, and some gen 1 Legendaries are tied to Dungeons. It makes perfect sense. But it can easily be another source of Mystic Coins……for you to gamble with the toilet. Or maybe you can buy the crafting Gifts with Dungeon currencies instead of gold. I know people would kill for Gift of Exploration and Gift of Battle to become buyable.

For DRMs then honestly I don’t know what to put. You already get so many Defense Seals from Dragonstorm that having better prizes for the Seals doesn’t directly translate to interest for DRMs yet, and it only inflates the currency. Maybe a repeatable achievement where doing 500 DRMs will guarantee for you a Dragonstorm Infusion? Or maybe Ascended items for the Seals? So that we’re less reliant on Fractals for the Matrixes and the Cubes for crafting. Having the ability to trade the Seals for Provisioner Tokens would also be nice, considering that currently the Seals are largely worthless. 

Edited by ZephidelGRS.9520
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, ZephidelGRS.9520 said:

It’s been always proven that as long as the reward is worth it, then people will do the content no matter how dull or mundane the content is. I don’t think anyone ever thinks Dragonstorm is fun or engaging, but people still do it daily anyway. Same with Rift hunting or Convergence, they both are incredibly dull content and as shown right here no one thinks of them as fun, but heaps of people still do them for the armor. And if anyone talks about repetitiveness then running daily Fractals is the king of repetitiveness, and yet it’s still popular for the past 10+ years simply for the absurd gold it generates.

Likewise with Dungeon and DRM. The problem is simply that these 2 have nothing to offer. So let’s add something to them.

For Dungeons then I’ve been saying it for a while, but make Dungeons another sure way to get Mystic Clovers. That’s it. Yes I’m aware you’ll swim in Clovers if you play WvW, but that’s a dead game mode and we don’t like to talk about it. For pure PvE players then Clovers are really difficult to get, unless you resort to gambling in the toilet and flush all your gold and dignity away. Why Clovers specifically? Because it’s the one thing consistently used in every Legendary from gen 1 til now, and some gen 1 Legendaries are tied to Dungeons. It makes perfect sense. But it can easily be another source of Mystic Coins……for you to gamble with the toilet. Or maybe you can buy the crafting Gifts with Dungeon currencies instead of gold. I know people would kill for Gift of Exploration and Gift of Battle to become buyable.

For DRMs then honestly I don’t know what to put. You already get so many Defense Seals from Dragonstorm that having better prizes for the Seals doesn’t directly translate to interest for DRMs yet, and it only inflates the currency. Maybe a repeatable achievement where doing 500 DRMs will guarantee for you a Dragonstorm Infusion? Or maybe Ascended items for the Seals? So that we’re less reliant on Fractals for the Matrixes and the Cubes for crafting. Having the ability to trade the Seals for Provisioner Tokens would also be nice, considering that currently the Seals are largely worthless. 

For PvE there's already fractals and raids for easy Mystic Clover aquisition. Also WvW -besides it load of problems- still seems quite populated and far from dead to me. So adding Mystic Coins (which are also usefull outside of legendary crafting) for dungeon token exchange would be a better fit imo. DRMs however... I'd rather see them treated like a failed experiment and left to rott. While some of them invoke a slight remeniscence of old GW1 missions, the execution is so incredibly lazy and dull, I rather not have them adding any incentive to do them again.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/2/2024 at 4:03 AM, Nash.2681 said:

For PvE there's already fractals and raids for easy Mystic Clover aquisition. Also WvW -besides it load of problems- still seems quite populated and far from dead to me. So adding Mystic Coins (which are also usefull outside of legendary crafting) for dungeon token exchange would be a better fit imo. DRMs however... I'd rather see them treated like a failed experiment and left to rott. While some of them invoke a slight remeniscence of old GW1 missions, the execution is so incredibly lazy and dull, I rather not have them adding any incentive to do them again.

I agree that mystic coins being added to dungeon rewards would be a great addition (even if it had a daily/weekly cap) and would encourage more people to play dungeons.  I also think another method for pushing dungeons would be to add a way to upgrade an exotic dungeon equipment piece to ascended using some materials and dungeon tokens or dungeon specific gift (like gift of baelfire).  A hypothetical mystic forge recipe could be the exotic piece, 2 deldrimore steel, 2 elonian leather, and gift of baelfire.  This method would also allow people to earn ascended equipment without having lvl 500 crafting.  Providing a way to use dungeons to earn ascended gear would be a good way to help ease people into instanced group content as well as help them gear for other end game content such as fractals (strikes and raids too but exotic equipment works fine for those).  I know of many people who want to get into fractals but the ascended grind sometimes scares them off.  

• Confused 1

I suspect the ability to buy ascended equipment through the WV was one attempt to make it easier for players to get that equipment and start doing fractals.

While I'm not against them adding mystic coins, given that is a tradeable item going for ~2 gold right now, the question whether and extra 2 gold (either in the form of just giving 2 gold or a mystic coin) would make folks to more dungeons?  If you do dungeons a lot, there are some repeatable reward tracks that give you gold after you do 8 (IIRC) dungeon runs.

Allowing for upgrading of dungeon equipment to ascended has complications - aside from new artwork, everyone who previously got exotic dungeon equipment and salvaged it would want some way to be able go for that ascended equipment without needing to redo the dungeons.

But lets be realistic here - Anet pretty much never goes back and revisits old content, so while there are lots of good ideas here, the chance of any of them happening is near zero.

Dungeons should be the best way to get something that isnt already easily available from other sources. That used to be exotic armor way back in like 2014-2015, but that is basically worthless now. The dungeon vendors need to offer something like all runes/sigils.

• Confused 2

24 minutes ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

Dungeons should be the best way to get something that isnt already easily available from other sources. That used to be exotic armor way back in like 2014-2015, but that is basically worthless now. The dungeon vendors need to offer something like all runes/sigils.

currently there are still some runes/sigils that are exclusive to dungeons, and a few of them are still used in raid/strike/fractal meta, like rune of the monk for healers.  But it would be nice to have some additional dungeon exclusive content other than armor/weapon skins and runes/sigils.  maybe adding something like an infusion to it, like one that provides the ghost effect from Omnomberry Ghost (or other Halloween food).  I would also suggest adding mount, glider and\or fishing skins (rods or skiffs) but that would feel bad for anyone who doesnt have the requisite expansions.  I always hate doing wvw for gifts of battle and adding that as something you could get from dungeons would be nice, even if it was an absurd cost like 10k tokens or completing all exp paths of all dungeons.  

• Like 1

The problem with 1 time rewards is that while you will get some number of players doing dungeons to get that reward, once they have gotten it, they will stop playing dungeons.

Expanding what can be bought with dungeon tokens might be a workable solution, presuming what is offered is considered a good value.  This could even be things as simple as crafting materials, or maybe time gated clovers/mystic coins/other stuff (eg, 1-3/week).

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Raids , strike and fractals are way more funny than drms and dungeons.

dungeons are old , have no interesting mechanic , no interesting reward 

drms are freakign boring , you start the Drm with the good old bring x medkit to x npc , x bucket of water to clean x fire and sovort ....

rather have new fractals and strikes and that's exactly what anet is doing , they know where to focus for endgame without spending too much ressource

one easy way to make people do them is to add a special reward (like once a week) where you can choose currency and that reward should be updated with new currency every big update , if you give soto map currency i am pretty sure peopel will start rushing them again.

Edited by zeyeti.8347
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1