Heart quests Gift OF Exploration

I know it can be a noob question but i am just really confused here so i was trying to get gift of exploration but for it i had to complete maps and i am wondering collecting every vista point of interest and all but wanted to know that do we have to do heart quests too or will just waypoints and vistas and points of interest will be enough. :

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Not all of the core maps have heart quests.  The 3 Orr maps for example do not.  But, in order to get a gift of exploration you have to complete the entire "core" of maps.  Which means map completing each of them, which includes the heart quests.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Gift of Exploration is only needed for crafting legendaries. If you have only just started the game, there is no reason to rush through World completion. I've done it on 15 characters and quite enjoy it, but I never put myself under any time pressure. Some have taken weeks; some got distracted and took years. I think the record time for completion is measured in hours, but that's an experienced player who knows what to do.
On the plus side, it's a lot easier than it used to be. Mounts make a huge difference. Also, when we started you needed to complete all the WvW maps, which might mean waiting weeks to be assigned a different home border.

Edited by costepj.5120
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Obito.3294 said:

its such a pain :classic_blush: how long it can take to complete all of it that have to be done for GoE ?

The fastest clear is just about 7 hours, but most of us aren't at that level.  I've noticed at a casual pace I can finish map completion in roughly 16 hours.  I use blish hud, which is an add-on.  There is a pathing module which shows the path the speed run people use, I do it at my own pace.  Usually, I will put on a movie in a small window over the top of the game, in a corner, and set the media player to "always on top".  That way, I can play, do map completion, and watch a show or movie to pass the time.  It goes pretty quick if I do that.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Obito.3294 said:

its such a pain :classic_blush: how long it can take to complete all of it that have to be done for GoE ?

I started my second 100% about 3 months ago and have about 1/3 done I think (all Charr and half Norn).
Since hearts are such a pain, I'm not very motivated as you can see ^^

You can see your progress on the map (M). Map progress as well as world progress.

• Confused 2

You need to 100% everyting on all core maps - so yes all vistas, POI, hero poits and Hearts on a map. Hearts are very quick in most core maps though.

Just remember that Dry Top, Silverwastes and Southson are not required maps. And don't forget the Chantry of Secrets

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Hearts are very quick in most core maps though

Compared to what?

It takes 4x longer to finish a map with hearts than without. At least.
Then there are awful maps like Queensdale...

And the other day, on some Norn map, we were 3 people doing a heart and taking the banners and other stuff needed for it from each other. I quit it after 10 minutes and came back a couple days later when I was alone. And that wasn't the only time I experienced that.

With luck there's an event going that counts.

I have 1 char that has everything but the hearts. That is quick. Doing the hearts is what eats time. Otherwise I'd continue that char and not start a new one.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

On 5/3/2024 at 9:30 AM, costepj.5120 said:

Gift of Exploration is only needed for crafting legendaries. If you have only just started the game, there is no reason to rush through World completion. I've done it on 15 characters and quite enjoy it, but I never put myself under any time pressure. Some have taken weeks; some got distracted and took years. I think the record time for completion is measured in hours, but that's an experienced player who knows what to do.
On the plus side, it's a lot easier than it used to be. Mounts make a huge difference. Also, when we started you needed to complete all the WvW maps, which might mean waiting weeks to be assigned a different home border.

Yeah that wvw map completion was a pain, and players today complain about having to get gift of battle. But as suggested here do it bit by bit, check gw2efficiancy if you're no way near affording the rest of the mats there's no rush

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

Compared to what?

Compared to LS4 hearts and certain other expansion maps. Many core events can almost complete a heart. Not all hearts are the same length, but most core ones complete very quickly.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

You are entitled to say you don't like a particular map, but there's absolutely nothing objectively awful about Queensdale. I do Queensdale map completion on every single key runner (human common born ofc!) for a chance at a bonus key (and I often get one). There are no hearts or any other objectives that take very long, even on a low-level character.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

Compared to what?

It takes 4x longer to finish a map with hearts than without. At least.

And the other day, on some Norn map, we were 3 people doing a heart and taking the banners and other stuff needed for it from each other. I quit it after 10 minutes and came back a couple days later when I was alone. And that wasn't the only time I experienced that.

With luck there's an event going that counts.

I have 1 char that has everything but the hearts. That is quick. Doing the hearts is what eats time. Otherwise I'd continue that char and not start a new one.

I agree that hearts are a pain in the kitten, but they're meant to slow down the process of map completion. That's part of their job. Map completion is required for legendary weapons. Hearts slow down the process. Some people won't do it. Those people wont' get legendary weapons. The process is working as intended.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

I agree that hearts are a pain in the kitten, but they're meant to slow down the process of map completion. That's part of their job. Map completion is required for legendary weapons. Hearts slow down the process. Some people won't do it. Those people wont' get legendary weapons. The process is working as intended.

They can still get them since you can buy core and eod ones on the trading post.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

They can still get them since you can buy core and eod ones on the trading post.

Sure but then you're trading gold farming for map completion. It's still a grind, either way. It's nice that they give you a choice to grind.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

can feel your pain , while game launched hearts were a nice new thing no other mmo did (no backtarcking quests over kilometers and kilometers...) but now with the flow of the game it really feel like a shore to do , also it make you a bit out of shape with your character , remind me of Vabbi heart were you have to clean toilets for nobles... "i am the commander i've slain many foes , legendary creatures like dragons etc..." "hey commander my toilets are clooged can you uncloog them plz..." what am i , a freaking plumber ? I appreciate the humor out of it , but still a shore to do.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Map completion is required for legendary weapons.

I'm 1 GoE away from crafting the party mace. I estimate that by the end of the year I'll have the 100% done for the GoE. Most likely.

In the meanwhile I bought 2 leg. weapons from the TP and am collecting for Vision atm. Was almost to give that one up because the Kralki Ore from the bugged Istan map is even more a pain in the kitten than a 100% map completion. But then I saw that I can get it from repeating the Istan reward track, one stack per completion and I need over 3k.

11 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Sure but then you're trading gold farming for map completion. It's still a grind, either way.

And I didn't grind gold..

I mainly play wvw. And have 4 accounts.

My gold income is certainly not at the level of farmers, but at least I play what I like best and reach my goals on the side.

Isn't that how a game should be? I mean it's a game. Not work.
I do have a job. Not looking for a second one 😉
Reward tracks are the best thing Anet has implemented in the game. Too bad pve players don't have them so they can't play what they want, but what they have to.

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Confused 4

28 minutes ago, Lucy.3728 said:

I'm 1 GoE away from crafting the party mace. I estimate that by the end of the year I'll have the 100% done for the GoE. Most likely.

In the meanwhile I bought 2 leg. weapons from the TP and am collecting for Vision atm. Was almost to give that one up because the Kralki Ore from the bugged Istan map is even more a pain in the kitten than a 100% map completion. But then I saw that I can get it from repeating the Istan reward track, one stack per completion and I need over 3k.

And I didn't grind gold..

I mainly play wvw. And have 4 accounts.

My gold income is certainly not at the level of farmers, but at least I play what I like best and reach my goals on the side.

Isn't that how a game should be? I mean it's a game. Not work.
I do have a job. Not looking for a second one 😉
Reward tracks are the best thing Anet has implemented in the game. Too bad pve players don't have them so they can't play what they want, but what they have to.

If you want a legendary weapon, it's much faster to farm gold in PvE than WvW, and there are many different ways to do it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

If you want a legendary weapon, it's much faster to farm gold in PvE than WvW, and there are many different ways to do it.

I know. But it's no fun for me. And fun has the highest weight.

Every now and then I do a bit open world, just for fun 😉

If I was after gold I'd do bauble farm in Aurin Basin by now.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

I know. But it's no fun for me. And fun has the highest weight.

Every now and then I do a bit open world, just for fun 😉

If I was after gold I'd do bauble farm in Aurin Basin by now.

I'd wager there are far more people enjoying open world PvE than there are doing WvW.  The point I was trying to make was that reward tracks were added to PvP and WvW because they were less rewarding overall than PvE. It was faster to get stuff done more generally doing PvE, which was already rewarding. There's a vast array of activity you can do in PvE to make money. Everyone who PvPs or WvWs is already doing the activity they wanted, because they're each their own activity. PvE is much broader. If you don't enjoy fractals and raids, you can enjoy meta events. If you don't enjoy either you can enjoy fishing. They're all massively different actiivties.

PvE didn't need reward tracks, WvW and PvP did, because they were so far behind in rewards.

Edited by Vayne.8563
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

The point I was trying to make was that reward tracks were added to PvP and WvW because they were less rewarding overall than PvE.

I think this was one point, but not the only one.
Or why can you complete PvE achievements in WvW via these reward tracks? I think it's to allow players who don't enjoy these PvE maps to complete certain achievements and still have fun. For example, I've repeated the desert track a lot because you get the desert skins. I think 3 or 4 complete sets, which also included a PvE achievement per set. Or the emote tracks that you would otherwise only have to do in PvE.

I even unlocked the weapons in WvW and not in SotO. Though via an NPC, 10 seconds and done.

Imagine you love playing the HoT maps and don't like the maps of the seasons. Imagine playing your favorite maps and completing achievements on the season maps without having to play them.

That's what it feels like. Play what you want and choose the reward track from somewhere else.

Get dungeon tokens and their weapon and armor skins without having to play the dungeon --> Reward track.
(And I know all the dungeons and paths, except Arah, where I've only played one path)

I have already saved my Tarir 100x for the achievement and also done enough other metas. I do it from time to time as a variety. But it's rare. This motivation only increases with certain events that promote this with achievements.

I've never been hooked with fishing ;D In any game.

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Confused 1