why is smurfing allowed?

So, the only advantage they have over you is skill? They may also be using discord to talk to each other.  If they made alt accounts with fresh characters they would still have their knowledge of how to play their builds well.  Would you feel better if the characters destroying you appeared to be novice rank?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Never heard of that term either, but here is what it is...

Smurfing is a term used in online gaming to describe when a player creates a new account to play against lower-ranked players. The player who does this is called a smurf. Smurfing is common in competitive games and esports titles like Counter-Strike, League of Legends, Dota 2, and Call of Duty.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zera.9435 said:

The hell is smurfing?

A highly experienced player playing competitive content (like PvP) on a new, low-ranked account. I know the term from my days in CS:GO.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Since this game doesn't do match making based on earned rank, Op saw that they were playing against two platinum ranked players.  As some people have pointed out: if the pair had truly been smurfing they would have been on alternate accounts with low rank.

Frankly, I don't know how any game would stop real smurfing.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Since this game doesn't do match making based on earned rank, Op saw that they were playing against two platinum ranked players.  As some people have pointed out: if the pair had truly been smurfing they would have been on alternate accounts with low rank.

I've heard that some games won't allow alt accounts at all, and this might by why. I think it's one reason we periodically get people on this forum asking if they're allowed a second GW2 account and what the rules are.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Well we could try putting Gargamel and Azrael on them, but they've never really been effective. I also think they've been infected with purple disease already making them violent.

Edited by Conner.4702
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Dota 2 for example doesn't allow alt accounts aka smurfs. It's a perma ban if they catch you, for both accounts.

Whats the point of even playing when you know you don't have a chance? Those guys stomped me and my team, and it wasn't only once, it happens very often too. Some thimes they are on my team as well, and again its not fun because i get to do almost nothing and win, it feels like a hollow win.

Saying there's no way to catch them is just an uneducated answer. Ofc Anet can catch them. They won't because $$$$. 2 days ago they were even talking about how to smurf and with wich profesion in chat.

• Confused 4

28 minutes ago, Madafacar.4912 said:

2 days ago they were even talking about how to smurf and with wich profesion in chat.

Have you been smurfed by cartoon villains? 😅 Sorry, but them announcing there evil plans in public chat seems made up.

How did you even know they are platinum players? If they „Smurf“ on their main accounts it’s 1. not technically smurfing and 2. they will just rank up given that they win all their games.

• Thanks 3

They don't inherently do it to smurf, they just do it to secure their rating on their 'main account'.

That way they can practice builds without sacrificing rating, because unranked is a cesspool in its own way. Ranked is the closest to good matches, to most of the players who actually care about match quality anyway.

Despite the fact that artificially inflating the player pool and what not is (most likely) messing the system up more. Oh well.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Vinny.7260 said:

They don't inherently do it to smurf, they just do it to secure their rating on their 'main account'.

That way they can practice builds without sacrificing rating, because unranked is a cesspool in its own way. Ranked is the closest to good matches, to most of the players who actually care about match quality anyway.

Despite the fact that artificially inflating the player pool and what not is (most likely) messing the system up more. Oh well.

From my experience, most of the time they are playing the same builds they are playing on their mains

3 minutes ago, Endorphin.9147 said:

From my experience, most of the time they are playing the same builds they are playing on their mains

I was referencing the one time I knew someone who was genuinely just using an alt as their test dummy account to be a burner. Can't remember their account name right this moment, but they're the same sort of class main branch as Ambi would be. Holo/Daredevil/DE

1 hour ago, Vinny.7260 said:

Disagree, a lot of times you see one on their main and the other on their alt, and then they swap.  If they were really doing it to just practice builds and preserve their main account rank.. they their buddy wouldn't be running their main while his duo practices new things.  It's done to take advantage of fooling the MMR.   Also you see them purposefully tanking their MMR between sessions with their friends main to reset to a low level.

I know siayan runs an alt, but he tries on both accounts.  Just one he's more anal about, the other he plays looser to have fun with.  Sometimes his alt is higher than his main and vice versa.  For him it seems legit to me, because to do well you are disincetivzed to play too much, so having an alt account lets you actually play the game more.  But the key difference is, he isn't abusing MMR to help a duo get better match placement... he's actually just got one account he can play continuously throughout the season and another he picks the right times to play and minimises play on when it makes sense to for ranking purpose.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Kiof.5710 said:

Never heard of that term either, but here is what it is...

Smurfing is a term used in online gaming to describe when a player creates a new account to play against lower-ranked players. The player who does this is called a smurf. Smurfing is common in competitive games and esports titles like Counter-Strike, League of Legends, Dota 2, and Call of Duty.

Thanks for letting me know.  I'm kind of conflicted on this. On the one hand I like it because it means they buy multiple copies of the game, which supports it. On the other hand, it's really pathetic that someone got their kitten handed to them so severely in pvp that they have to let out their frustrations on less-experienced players, rather than 'getting guud', as they say.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Zera.9435 said:

Thanks for letting me know.  I'm kind of conflicted on this. On the one hand I like it because it means they buy multiple copies of the game, which supports it. On the other hand, it's really pathetic that someone got their kitten handed to them so severely in pvp that they have to let out their frustrations on less-experienced players, rather than 'getting guud', as they say.

free to play accounts can go into ranked matches I believe....   Core ele, core guard both reasonably viable to play as alt Smurfs when your both fighting  opponents +100 rank less than you because your average MMR is that much lower.

Edited by shion.2084

7 minutes ago, shion.2084 said:

free to play accounts can go into ranked matches I believe....   Core ele, core guard both reasonably viable to play as alt Smurfs when your both fighting  opponents +100 rank less than you because your average MMR is that much lower.

Uh oh that's not good. I don't think the free accounts should be getting into ranked matches. Unranked is fine, but if they want the full experience they should buy the game.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

They have to level their pvp level to 20 to play ranked. So I guess there is a bit of a gatekeep for it. Imo it should be higher. Bot accounts can probably get to 20 pretty easily.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shion.2084 said:

I know siayan runs an alt, but he tries on both accounts.  Just one he's more anal about, the other he plays looser to have fun with.  Sometimes his alt is higher than his main and vice versa.  For him it seems legit to me, because to do well you are disincetivzed to play too much, so having an alt account lets you actually play the game more.  But the key difference is, he isn't abusing MMR to help a duo get better match placement... he's actually just got one account he can play continuously throughout the season and another he picks the right times to play and minimises play on when it makes sense to for ranking purpose.

Appreciate the backing. People see the word "alt" on my other account name and immediately assumes I'm "throwing matches"... If I was doing anything shady in regards to playing that top 50 mini-game every season, I wouldn't have named my character, "Saiyans Alt" lol!

That said, I'm thinking of spamming ranked games now that Champion Brawler is our first color title. I only have 3k Ranked games to win.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Saiyan.1704 said:

Appreciate the backing. People see the word "alt" on my other account name and immediately assumes I'm "throwing matches"... If I was doing anything shady in regards to playing that top 50 mini-game every season, I wouldn't have named my character, "Saiyans Alt" lol!

That said, I'm thinking of spamming ranked games now that Champion Brawler is our first color title. I only have 3k Ranked games to win.

Lets duo and make sure we get on Park's team every time!

• Thanks 1