[POLL] Are You Ready For World Restructuring?

[POLL] Are You Ready For World Restructuring?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Are You Ready For World Restructuring?

• Maybe - My Alliance of Guilds is ready to roll! We've been waiting patiently! Give us that 6th slot!
    • Maybe - I'm currently on the CB radio/phone/discord/fax/carrier pigeon/string paper cups/pager trying to get the band back together, we'll be ready in a month though!
    • Maybe - I'll have to try and convince people to leave other games... it's been six years ya'know... other stuff happened...
    • Maybe - Still trying to find an alliance guild to join! help!
    • Don't Care - I'm solo, WR doesn't matter to me.
    • Nope - It will be the end of the road for me and GW2. I bid you adieu wvw...
    • Don't Care - My guild isn't going to join an alliance.

Posted (edited)

I dont understand the pessimism. No more full servers. Now I can actually play with new players, and not always/only the same bandwaggoners that I dont care about. Far better socially with more player agency. More possiblities for matchups. It will be interesting for sure.

Also OP, your possible responses had big negative bias, so I couldnt really pick what I wanted. My only current gripe is that balance is still incredibad, so its a shame to lauch this improvement with balance in that state. And RIP instant ranged arcane wave.

About the bandwaggoners comment above: I play solo but am annoyed by the aftereffects of good guilds coming and going  - server is always worse after because the bad and broke stay, and some of the good players leave.

Edited by Loke.1429
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

. It's a very slim majority and the poll itself had some issues with wording choices which left people out.

But let me explain the sentiment a bit more on why a person would think that.

Even though your points are all valid, how can you say that it is a very narrow majority? When we're still talking about 49%, it's certainly a negligible sample because it doesn't reach 1% of the actual players of this mode. But in itself it is still telling us something. something that is absolutely not unexpected. something that Anet should look at carefully. And don't put it off 'future mechanics' because the risk is considerable.

It would have been smarter, first to provide the new design, present it and share it with this community and only then go and delete the servers. At least that's my thinking. Also, if we want to analyze this with a bit of intuition and in reference you have points that you have written. It is very likely that all host servers have lost/forgotten their identity. while the primary servers still have it well established. With this in mind, you will find the explanation of that percentage number that the survey highlights. Anet said that he is aware that this change brings with it a number of issues related to this concept of team and belonging. I wonder if he's really aware of how many players you're investing in this permanent beta. I wonder if you've considered a parachute if things aren't going well. I wonder whether it was really necessary to take these risks. Is it worth questioning a number of community ties? which are practically the heritage/value added of this game mode. WR arrives to solve a balance problem/credible competition. Was it really the only way forward?

Edited by Mabi black.1824
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

My one hope is that, since this will be 'beta', after some chaos there could be a chance they restore the servers. They did restore the Alpine Borderland after feedback. It could be new and merged servers, but some permanence would be welcome, as opposed to everything being guild-based ether and changing every 4 weeks. Coming back to the game after a few years, my WvW guild had become inactive, but it was still easy to find familiar faces and guilds on my server. With the new system though, it will be random. So with the community spirit gone, and defending capabilities nerfed, the drive to play this game mode is diminished for all who are not in top skirmish guilds. On a stable server, I have an option to join big fights when I want, and also to do smaller group guild run fights and ppt when I want. The way alliances are planned/advertised, I seemingly have to chose one. If latter, we'll likely be fodder for blobmanders.

Because the servers were a stable entity, this allowed people to learn and adapt over time, to get to know people who are active in the same game mode. An example after playing with them for weeks, pugs that join an open tag on BT are seemingly more skilled in fights than our randos, and I'd guess it is because BT has a lot of commanders that encourage voice and run open tag. I don't see how this improvement opportunity will exist in a non-server system. You can say "well just join a guild", but you'd be underestimating the current number of unguilded folks that both 1) join big fights and 2) contribute to ppt.

The serverless ether idea takes away a lot of what I enjoy about WvW.

Edited by hedix.1986
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, hedix.1986 said:

My one hope is that, since this will be 'beta', after some chaos there could be a chance they restore the servers. They did restore the Alpine Borderland after feedback.

But we still have DBL, which was chaos on release since it was broken and laggy with a complete mess of a design. DBL 2.0 that we have today is very different and vastly improved.

But hey I guess you can always hope. 

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Confused 1

Blah leave WVW ALONE.  Still waiting for you all to put dailies back to the way they where. I haven't done dailies since. I liked picking my own dailies and not being assigned them and the 2 gold.  I LOVE WVW just the way it is as well. So don't change it.

• Confused 3

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, hedix.1986 said:

My one hope is that, since this will be 'beta', after some chaos there could be a chance they restore the servers.

This is not happening ever. 1st) the population of gw2 and so wvw will keep going down in the years to come, therefore a lot of wvw servers will be dead. 2nd) this system can automatically pair people based on lots of things like activity, ranking etcetc and doesnt need to be manually done by anet. 3rd) this system maybe allow to have some competitivy systems and who knows if alliances.

Nontheless WvW needs wayyyy more new stuff and active development to actually be interesting at all.

PD: I hope that the permanent WR beta and UI is not scuffed as hell.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Mabi black.1824 said:

Even though your points are all valid, how can you say that it is a very narrow majority? When we're still talking about 49%, it's certainly a negligible sample because it doesn't reach 1% of the actual players of this mode. But in itself it is still telling us something. something that is absolutely not unexpected. something that Anet should look at carefully. And don't put it off 'future mechanics' because the risk is considerable.

It was 51% when I posted, literally a very narrow majority in the context of the poll. Also that kinda drives home my point; that's how narrow it was.

But that's not my point. My point was specifically 

On 5/19/2024 at 1:49 PM, ArchonWing.9480 said:

"majority here" bit because one can never be too certain about that.

because that relies on data only they really have.

The only real certain thing is that Xen needs to make better polls (j/k)

It would have been smarter, first to provide the new design, present it and share it with this community and only then go and delete the servers. At least that's my thinking. Also, if we want to analyze this with a bit of intuition and in reference you have points that you have written. It is very likely that all host servers have lost/forgotten their identity. while the primary servers still have it well established.

Yea I know. I already addressed that in my last post. Yes I know the current structure works for some.

On 5/19/2024 at 1:49 PM, ArchonWing.9480 said:

For those of you with strong enough communities that have survived to this point, I really do think it's unfortunate but most of you will be able to adapt. But this was only a matter of time and yes I pin about 90% of the responsibility on the devs for allowing things to get to this point.

But like, we've known that the current servers would be deleted in some point in the future for years now , so let us not pretend it was going to be some surprise.

So....

. I wonder if you've considered a parachute if things aren't going well. I wonder whether it was really necessary to take these risks. Is it worth questioning a number of community ties? which are practically the heritage/value added of this game mode

I am sure these ties would survive a few clicks per user to make a community guild to fit a new alliance. If it doesn't, I don't see how strong these ties were in the first place.

A lot of servers do already have Discord or the like to organize and prepare for these things, no? And certainly not something to quit the game over.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

I am sure these ties would survive a few clicks per user to make a community guild to fit a new alliance. If it doesn't, I don't see how strong these ties were in the first place.

A lot of servers do already have Discord or the like to organize and prepare for these things, no? And certainly not something to quit the game over.

The gratuitous threats that we often read in this section of the forum to quit the game and then are still here years later, I never liked, I find them useless and childish. I'm more afraid of the ''invisible' player than the one who will never enter a forum and won't even write to you what I want to complain about. They just leave because something has hit them and they are no longer interested in participating in a game or simply got bored.

That said, all the communities are using all the patches that are available to keep together the players who want to be together, right now. It won't be easy. But whatever comes out, WVW is in need of new things so much, that I expect to see excited and many numbers that will run everywhere. We have to see how things will go after 6 months 1 year.

Probably only then will we be able to say to Anet ''well done'' or ''I told you so''. I'm a WVW enthusiast so I can only wish the best of the best to this game mode.🤞

Good luck to everyone on the permanent beta.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Mabi black.1824 said:

Probably only then will we be able to say to Anet ''well done'' or ''I told you so''.

The breaking of Worlds is going to cost them players. From my experience, when Guilds or just their leads get restless enough to transfer, they begin shedding players and soon implode. I already hear a lot of Guilds/Tags/Players expressing that they're "going their own way". That kind of isolationism is going to cause a loss of connection and interest. Which will cause a shedding players.

I believe Anet knows this and welcomes it. That they've been convinced by others that new players and higher turnover is more lucrative than player retention. It's the only thing that makes sense of what they are doing.

Edited by DeWolfe.2174
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/22/2024 at 10:17 AM, TheGrimm.5624 said:

I think Anet needs to add this to the splash login in page. Been using the 6/14 message as a heads up and the number of what do you mean replies has been larger than expected from a player perspective. 

last night I realized that there are still players today, even excellent scout players who play every day, who don't even know what happens on 06/14. I don't know how many are in those conditions. but I think there are quite a few.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Mabi black.1824 said:

last night I realized that there are still players today, even excellent scout players who play every day, who don't even know what happens on 06/14. I don't know how many are in those conditions. but I think there are quite a few.

To be fair though, you’re not really an excellent scout if your philosophy is “I don’t know these people so I’m not going to say anything”.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

42 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

To be fair though, you’re not really an excellent scout if your philosophy is “I don’t know these people so I’m not going to say anything”.

I'm not questioning the scout's work before and after wr. especially the scout I was referring to. if I tell you that he is an excellent scout it is because when it is necessary you can be sure that he will do his duty perfectly. now and he will probably continue to do so later. we are also talking about a player who is somehow ''involved'' because I told you that he plays every day, probably his activity refers to his team / server because he is not in any big guild. my observation was referring to the fact that the permanent beta is 22 days away and probably many active players don't even know it. Maybe it's time to send an official in-game message when you log in?

• Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 9:09 AM, DeWolfe.2174 said:

I believe Anet knows this and welcomes it. That they've been convinced by others that new players and higher turnover is more lucrative than player retention. It's the only thing that makes sense of what they are doing.

it could be a conscious strategy. why not. I don't feel like excluding it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mabi black.1824 said:

I logged in on a couple of accounts to see if the content has become any better earlier this week. On both the WR happening was the talk in both map and team chat.

If a scout has no idea about what is happening, either they can't read or the server community isn't as strong as you think it is.

Edited by One more for the road.8950
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, One more for the road.8950 said:

If a scout has no idea about what is happening, either they can't read or the server community isn't as strong as you think it is.

perhaps both are true. but in fact there are players who don't have the slightest idea that on 06/14 wvw will change quite a bit. we also saw it in the other betas. they will write to anet the next day ''but what did you do anet? ''so I was saying, maybe it's better to send a message in the game? no?

but you know what, given your sarcasm that the problem is just that people can't read, forget it, don't pay attention to what I wrote anet. it's definitely like ''one more person for the road'' says. they are just stupid players who can't read.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

As I said if you consider there are large number of players that have no idea about 6/14 is a concern. Yes?

19 minutes ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

As I said if you consider there are large number of players that have no idea about 6/14 is a concern. Yes?

Well, what is the concern? Every month is a shuffle so people can play with or against guilds and find someone they can join.

Nobody expects everyone in WvW to just instantly be settled where they are supposed to be, do they?

But yes I’m sure there will be people furious about how they can no longer play with people that probably already made their own WvW guild plans.

4 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Well, what is the concern? Every month is a shuffle so people can play with or against guilds and find someone they can join.

Nobody expects everyone in WvW to just instantly be settled where they are supposed to be, do they?

But yes I’m sure there will be people furious about how they can no longer play with people that probably already made their own WvW guild plans.

Its more of a fact that I worry that Anet assumes everyone watches the website. Consider players that are just having fun and don't head to the website since why, things are going well and they are having fun and at the end of the work day I will jump into GW2 WvW and play.

Or let me put it in a different view. Why would anyone need tsunami, hurricane or tornedo alerts, it's a nice day out. 

I think a link to the blog on the login splash page wouldn't be a bad idea when acid testing in map chat are you ready for 6/14 is still is coming back with some replies of what is 6/14? You know as well as I the posting the day of is will be limited time posters to new posters asking, what just happened? So get a little more in front of it wouldn't be a bad idea.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Its more of a fact that I worry that Anet assumes everyone watches the website. Consider players that are just having fun and don't head to the website since why, things are going well and they are having fun and at the end of the work day I will jump into GW2 WvW and play.

Or let me put it in a different view. Why would anyone need tsunami, hurricane or tornedo alerts, it's a nice day out. 

I think a link to the blog on the login splash page wouldn't be a bad idea when acid testing in map chat are you ready for 6/14 is still is coming back with some replies of what is 6/14? You know as well as I the posting the day of is will be limited time posters to new posters asking, what just happened? So get a little more in front of it wouldn't be a bad idea.

You'd think they would learn their lesson after the all the beta mishaps.

Once again they had time to prepare in game mail to everyone this time, about a major change to one part of the game that would require players action beforehand.

Then again some people seem to live under a rock and ignore all the news.

But oh well, not my mess to clean up.