What should Anet do with stealth in competitive game modes?

What should Anet do with stealth in competitive game modes?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should Anet do with stealth in competitive game modes?

• Marked should prevent you from stealthing entirely.
    • They should leave it, it’s fine.
    • They should do something else. (Just comment your suggestion)

Posted (edited)

Given that perma stealth seems to be a big complaint in small scale WvW fights I just wanted to see what people think. I put the obvious potential change in the poll, but if the people who think something should change have other/better ideas please post them.

Edited by ascii.1369
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Fail poll.

Revealed do prevent you from stealthing completely (with exception of DE elite)

It’s just only applied for 3s unless by specific player skills with longer revealed.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

revealed do prevent you from stealthing completely (with exception of DE elite)

shadow meld does not remove revealed in pvp or wvw, this was changed over a year ago

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Fail poll.

Revealed do prevent you from stealthing completely (with exception of DE elite)

It’s just only applied for 3s unless by specific player skills with longer revealed.

Well, that’s what happens when you quickly put up a poll while at work. I meant to say marked 😂

Edit: seems a bit sus that I can edit the poll afterwards without resetting the vote, but in this case it shouldn’t make much of a difference 🤔

Edited by ascii.1369

This suggestion will not fix the problem, but I believe it will help mitigate perma stealth builds.

We have tools to aid in the fight against stealth within WvW, that being Target painter traps and Target painters.
We should be given access to special action keys for both Target painter trap and Target painter.
This will make the use of such tools less clunky and instead of going to inventory we simply press the special action keys.
Both Target painter trap and Target painter should also be insta cast and we should be given a lower CD on Target painter and be able to place 2 Target painter traps down instead of 1. 

• Like 2

an opponent in perma stealth is as relevant as one at spawn,  high stealth uptime only matters when it is used to contest a structure by hiding inside or keeping up a portal yet i doubt that is the main source of the complains.

if there were a need to reduce stealth further, it should be within class abilities/traits and not by an environmental effect like "marked". your suggestion on this is quite extreme when someone is marked but doesn't change fights at all when the opponent is not, this would just lead to people who would like to utilize stealth to avoid marked areas and reset combat by other means when they do get marked.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ascii.1369 said:

Well, that’s what happens when you quickly put up a poll while at work. I meant to say marked 😂

Edit: seems a bit sus that I can edit the poll afterwards without resetting the vote, but in this case it shouldn’t make much of a difference 🤔

In large scale it is much less of thing now  the main stealth is veil which has a marker on the ground and mass invis has a large cooldown. Before (in so-called recent memory) people were blasting sneak gyro smoke fields and superspeeding.

If your issue is permastealth then really it comes down to thief balance.

It's a very fun mechanic and it opens up lots of interesting opportunities but I do think it's ultimately unhealthy. I would make it so that it gives you a see through outline and give a large damage reduction (say 75%) while active. I think it's a reasonable middle ground and it also opens up the possibility for more brawling style builds.

A large damage reduction is worse because if you can predict where the stealth user is then you can just AoE them

For instance if they walk straight into a veil instead of going sideways or at an angle and you had AoEs 2 seconds in front of the veil , or if they veiled through an entrance at a keep into pre-timed bomb on the door that would be largely negated.

Make stealth a very short duration de-target but with the added effect of doing higher dmg and or higher healing etc.. on your next skill use during that stealth but on any skill use or even dodge you lose that stealth. The reveal effect only applys to self stealth but not to support stealth but the de-buff reveal becomes an condi type that stop stealth effect comply and dose some dmg when you try to stealth but fails.

I want stealth to be a moment for your hero to realty use an skill well and make stealth less of an passive effect.

Reveal should be clean able if its used as an debuff and it should have a long duration if you build for such an effect (there needs to be an relic and sigil that applys the reveal debuff.)

Get rid of it if you want a competitive environment, most competitive games don't have stealth in them.

It needs to have to have drawbacks for using it, stealth should be used as an escape tool, not constantly throughout a fight.

If you're going to keep it then it needs to have reasonable counters/detections, very short durations with very long cooldowns.

And if thieves want to point out their class cannot function without stealth, a willbender shows what a thief should have been without the stealth.

But anet doesn't care about competitiveness, just look at the current balance based on stacking numbers and support, that's how they solve problems, just stack more numbers.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

And if thieves want to point out their class cannot function without stealth, a willbender shows what a thief should have been without the stealth.

Yeah, just with y'know, consistent access to Aegis, strong anti-condition traits and skills, and way more sustain.

If we're talking specifically in WvW, classes with significant access to stealth need much stronger drawbacks.  However, there's no way to implement that without impacting their combat ability, and that is based around being able to stealth every 3 seconds or so.  It's not a simple problem to solve and will almost certainly just not get solved.