[SPOILER DISCUSSION WARNING] The new Main Organization for Commander/Wayfinder

EdwinLi.1284

Posted (edited)

lets remind astral ward inst a anti-krypts organization, but a anti-"mist threats". só if theres new threats involving trespassing the mists, they can be involved.

is kinda cliché that mortal kombat like plot, but its work.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416

6 hours ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

Considering that they lobotomized ascended Zojja and went on and on about how she'll mostly forget her previous life, I really doubt that she'll be much of a factor in anything going forward.

And in any case I don't expect further voiceover for her. I'm sure Felicia Day's price tag isn't cheap.

That was partially mitigated in the entire quarterly updates.

Her memory was bad during Through the Veil, but by the time of The Midnight King she didn't seem much worse for wear. IIRC, it was established Zojja made preparations to help not forget Taimi, Commander, and others. That subplot was present but didn't really amount to much because they tried cramming far too much narrative into those three updates.

As for price tag - all of DE members are high profile names and they regularly bring in the other four, often for multiple roles. So I doubt it's just an issue of cost.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

lets remind astral ward inst a anti-krypts organization, but a anti-"mist threats". só if theres new threats involving trespassing the mists, they can be involved.

is kinda cliché that mortal kombat like plot, but its work.

Yep, their main focus is the Mist and the Open Wizard Tower event gives us a bit of a look into that through Lyhr's memories.

They did their best to keep the Shadow Army from invading Tyria and even kept the Aetherblades in check when they were getting too close to damaging reality itself when they were tampering with the Mist.

Though the Shadow Army part interests me because Lyhr tried to question them if their "Master" sent them to invade Tyria. I suspect something is going on in the Mist involving the Shadow Army but we probably won't get the answer for that until maybe another expansion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, EdwinLi.1284 said:

Yep, their main focus is the Mist and the Open Wizard Tower event gives us a bit of a look into that through Lyhr's memories.

They did their best to keep the Shadow Army from invading Tyria and even kept the Aetherblades in check when they were getting too close to damaging reality itself when they were tampering with the Mist.

Though the Shadow Army part interests me because Lyhr tried to question them if their "Master" sent them to invade Tyria. I suspect something is going on in the Mist involving the Shadow Army but we probably won't get the answer for that until maybe another expansion.

I get the feeling the 3rd mini-xpack will deal with the gods, including Lyssa, and Menzies.

The Astral Ward deals with threats from beyond, with it being mentioned they largely left things on Tyria to Soo-Won. SoTO was about demons, and Janthir Wilds will deal with Mursaat and Titans, all of which are extra-planar entities.

We saw back in SoTO their summary of the Elona fractal was that the gods shouldn't be allowed to come back because they cause too many issues. With the long hinted at Lyssa plotline, mentions of the Shadow Army, the Ward not wanting the gods to come back, and the lore about the gods being influenced/controlled by their domains, I could see them doing a god focused xpack next. Basically made it an Astral Ward/Mist threat trilogy of xpacks.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

I get the feeling the 3rd mini-xpack will deal with the gods, including Lyssa, and Menzies.

The Astral Ward deals with threats from beyond, with it being mentioned they largely left things on Tyria to Soo-Won. SoTO was about demons, and Janthir Wilds will deal with Mursaat and Titans, all of which are extra-planar entities.

We saw back in SoTO their summary of the Elona fractal was that the gods shouldn't be allowed to come back because they cause too many issues. With the long hinted at Lyssa plotline, mentions of the Shadow Army, the Ward not wanting the gods to come back, and the lore about the gods being influenced/controlled by their domains, I could see them doing a god focused xpack next. Basically made it an Astral Ward/Mist threat trilogy of xpacks.

With what we learn so far, the Astral Ward is probably going to be our go to organization to give commander/wayfinder access to future locations as well since they establish bases and outposts in places beyond our current known location to keep a eye out for Mist related activity beyond the places we know.

Other than that, the Shadow Army is something I am concerned with since from what Lyhr said in his memories, this was not the first time the Astral Ward had to push back a invasion from them. It is only a matter of learning now how frequent the Shadow Army attempted to invade Tyria and why has it been a constant event. If they handle it like they did with this upcoming expansion in SotO, we may get some clues about it through Janthir Wilds if the next expansion after Janthir Wilds focus on the Shadow Army in some way.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

Giving credit to Logan, he did stick to the airship mostly and I'd assume they worked on a much tighter security for fleets just to prevent another Verdant Brink from happening.

Though they could have also figured that during wartime, having the Marshall be among the troops is a moral boost and allows for much faster reaction time to situational changes, and since Logan is a highly experienced soldier and an officer, he doesn't suffer some of the problems that Trahearne faced being a scholar first, then Marshall. 

From memory, he was in the Melandru region on the Dragonfall map. He did keep to the airship in Dragon's End, though, and I don't recall if he left camp or not in the Charr civil war, although I have a vague feeling he was involved in the beach front while Kasmeer was the human representative on the forest front.

2 hours ago, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

I've been getting a feeling that the actual threat might be something more Lovecraftian in nature - the titan and mursaat elements are nods to the region's history, but not the reason it's urgent to go there right now. We'll probably be finding out either way soon enough, though.

8 hours ago, EdwinLi.1284 said:

More interesting about the Shadow Army is:

1. Because there was no Shadow Army incursion in Tyria, that means the Astral Ward succeeded.
  2. Mentioning their master (Menzies) implies Menzies is still alive at that point.
  3. This is a recent memory - the other two being within a decade old.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Shadow Army and Menzies are a secret enemy of Janthir Wilds given the presence of Titans is seemingly treated as just ambient fodder army ala chak or saurians for HoT. Though this may change as we get more information, given that though the titans are being treated as effectively wildlife of the second map, Titans were sapient entities in GW1 so they could easily form an army.

Either way, them tackling Menzies soon:tm: would make sense given their post-EoD storylines are all basically "remember this big mystery from GW1 that never got answered? We're making a plot answering it". Menzies was one of those big mysteries, next to Wizard's Tower and Janthir.

Could probably make a list of mysteries from GW1 and use that to chart future GW2 expansions tbh.

As to the notion of a Lyssa / god plot because of SotO hints... SotO in general shows that many of the Astral Ward and Wizard's Court (especially Isgarren) has a very biased hate kitten for the Six Gods, though there are still members who favor them. I wouldn't read too much into a member of the Astral Ward or Isgarren going "we can't let the Six return".

And aside fromthat hate kitten, I can't really say I saw anything particular that hinted at the fabled god plot showing up just yet. Certainly not more than a focus on answering GW1 mysteries ("who did Kanaxai serve" - "what's in the tower" - "what's in Janthir" - etc). If they do go the Lyssa (or turning any other of Six evil - bleh - again) angle, I imagine it'll be after tackling the Mists-related (directly or indirectly) GW1 mysteries.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

I've been getting a feeling that the actual threat might be something more Lovecraftian in nature - the titan and mursaat elements are nods to the region's history, but not the reason it's urgent to go there right now. We'll probably be finding out either way soon enough, though.

We're talking about the expansion or one of the expansions after Janthir Wilds expansion. 

Janthir Wilds for now looks focused on Titan, Mursaat, and maybe white mantle (whatever is maybe left of them). Atleast until we see if there are any twists in the end of current story for Janthir Wilds before we are forced to wait until the updates for the next part.

7 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

More interesting about the Shadow Army is:

1. Because there was no Shadow Army incursion in Tyria, that means the Astral Ward succeeded.
  2. Mentioning their master (Menzies) implies Menzies is still alive at that point.
  3. This is a recent memory - the other two being within a decade old.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Shadow Army and Menzies are a secret enemy of Janthir Wilds given the presence of Titans is seemingly treated as just ambient fodder army ala chak or saurians for HoT. Though this may change as we get more information, given that though the titans are being treated as effectively wildlife of the second map, Titans were sapient entities in GW1 so they could easily form an army.

Either way, them tackling Menzies soon:tm: would make sense given their post-EoD storylines are all basically "remember this big mystery from GW1 that never got answered? We're making a plot answering it". Menzies was one of those big mysteries, next to Wizard's Tower and Janthir.

Could probably make a list of mysteries from GW1 and use that to chart future GW2 expansions tbh.

As to the notion of a Lyssa / god plot because of SotO hints... SotO in general shows that many of the Astral Ward and Wizard's Court (especially Isgarren) has a very biased hate kitten for the Six Gods, though there are still members who favor them. I wouldn't read too much into a member of the Astral Ward or Isgarren going "we can't let the Six return".

And aside fromthat hate kitten, I can't really say I saw anything particular that hinted at the fabled god plot showing up just yet. Certainly not more than a focus on answering GW1 mysteries ("who did Kanaxai serve" - "what's in the tower" - "what's in Janthir" - etc). If they do go the Lyssa (or turning any other of Six evil - bleh - again) angle, I imagine it'll be after tackling the Mists-related (directly or indirectly) GW1 mysteries.

I don't think they may get the Shadow Army involved in this expansion at this point after thinking about how they may handle the new storyline Post-Elder Dragon War. They may have them be a focus for the next expansion after Janthir's Wilds or a expansion sometime after.

Though if they plan the Shadow Army to be the focus of the next expansion after Janthir Wilds then we may get small hints about it through Janthir Wilds like we did during SotO with how the Mursaat we knew since GW1 are exiles, their mysterious City, and certain things happening in the background involving the Mursaat that can be easily missed. 

Edited by EdwinLi.1284
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, EdwinLi.1284 said:

With what we learn so far, the Astral Ward is probably going to be our go to organization to give commander/wayfinder access to future locations as well since they establish bases and outposts in places beyond our current known location to keep a eye out for Mist related activity beyond the places we know.

I'm honestly unsure of how long Anet will keep up the "Astral Ward takes up somewhere" thing. If you were to ask me to list off the remaining major plot threads of GW's setting, the majority of them take place in already established territories that we don't really need the Astral Ward to take us to.

Like if they did a mini xpack about the Charr, following up on IBS, showing us how Bangar is doing, the whole Khan-Ur election, and the Charr working with humanity to finally get rid of the ghosts(likely involving reforging Magdaer), I don't really see the need for the Ward to be involved/take us somewhere. We're already allies with the Charr, and can go into thier homelands(like we did in Grothmar). There is also the issue that Anet wants these xpacks to be a bit more stand alone than past ones, and if they keep trying to use the Astral Ward as a through line for the next like 6 xpacks or w/e, then there's just too much "past knowledge needed" buildup to really make it work as more stand alone.

SoTO, JW, and mini-Xpack 3, I could see them do it, but beyond that I think its pushing it.

15 hours ago, EdwinLi.1284 said:

Other than that, the Shadow Army is something I am concerned with since from what Lyhr said in his memories, this was not the first time the Astral Ward had to push back a invasion from them. It is only a matter of learning now how frequent the Shadow Army attempted to invade Tyria and why has it been a constant event. If they handle it like they did with this upcoming expansion in SotO, we may get some clues about it through Janthir Wilds if the next expansion after Janthir Wilds focus on the Shadow Army in some way.

Yeah, the Shadow Army thing really makes me think they want to do a gods focused Xpack, and wrap up stuff like the Menzies and Lyssa plot threads.

15 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

From memory, he was in the Melandru region on the Dragonfall map. He did keep to the airship in Dragon's End, though, and I don't recall if he left camp or not in the Charr civil war, although I have a vague feeling he was involved in the beach front while Kasmeer was the human representative on the forest front.

Looking at the events in Drizzlewood he is mentioned as being present in the "Assault Petraj Overlook" and "Assault Port Cascadia" events. So he was in the field at least to some degree,

15 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Possibly, but I feel like after just doing SoTO, which had some lovecraftian like tentacle demons, doing lovecraftian threat again may be too repetitive. And it would be an odd fake-out to feature the Titans so heavily in the reveal trailer, and not have them be the big bad. I can't recall Anet doing that before off the top of my head.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

If they do go the Lyssa (or turning any other of Six evil - bleh - again) angle, I imagine it'll be after tackling the Mists-related (directly or indirectly) GW1 mysteries.

It might make more sense story-wise to have a plot about some entity trying to usurp Balthazar's now-vacant position, but that would probably be tricky given that the magic-absorption thing has already happened. Kormir was there to absorb Abaddon, and Aurene was there to absorb Balthazar. This putative usurper would need to have an independent source of power, which would involve a lot more storytelling than I'd credit the current team with since it feels like SotO's story was written to fit the gameplay, rather than the other way around. Nah, I think they'll take a pass on the divine angle and go for something easier to write around a couple of maps and metas.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

It might make more sense story-wise to have a plot about some entity trying to usurp Balthazar's now-vacant position, but that would probably be tricky given that the magic-absorption thing has already happened. Kormir was there to absorb Abaddon, and Aurene was there to absorb Balthazar. This putative usurper would need to have an independent source of power, which would involve a lot more storytelling than I'd credit the current team with since it feels like SotO's story was written to fit the gameplay, rather than the other way around. Nah, I think they'll take a pass on the divine angle and go for something easier to write around a couple of maps and metas.

Balthazar was stripped of his godly power before we ever see him in GW2. Aurene did not take Balthazar's godly power, she only took the magic he had accumulated via the bloodstone explosion, and elsewhere, after being freed.

And Kormir specifically notes in PoF, when one of Dragon's Watch comments on "it must be the five now that Balthazar is no longer counted" that no, its still "The Six". The gods already found someone to replace Balthazar. That's, seemingly, why they were able to strip him of his godly power beforehand.

Edited by Sajuuk Khar.1509
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

Anet has said that after Soto they'd be exploring more Tyrian subjects didn't they? Like the Sylvari, Charr, and Norn situation, Cantha's place in the world, etc.

Yes, and then they immediately went into more extra-planar Mursaat/Titan stories.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

That, and Kormir's words in PoF - as well as Nightfall's lore - would mean that Balthazar has to have been replaced before the events of GW2.

Otherwise Tyria wouldn't exist, and Kormir wouldn't call the group "The Six" still (keep in mind, they were called The Five during her mortal life before Abaddon was replaced - if one of them died permanently, they'd just adopt that title again - or at least Kormir wouldn't call Rytlock wrong for calling the group The Five).

This said, we know absolutely nothing about this supposed has-to-exist-to-not-kitten-over-the-ENTIRE-lore-and-story-of-Nightfall replacement of Balthazar, so he could even up being more evil and cruel than Balthazar. Though given the Six's habits of replacements, he should be a good guy at least for a while, unless he stole Balthazar's power while he was imprisoned (now that would be a plot twist - though a contradictory one since Balthazar and Kormir both attest to the Six being the ones to strip him of his divinity, not some unknown third party; easily solved by making Kormir a god damned liar (no pun intended) which would also neatly fix the whole personality change of pre-fall Balthazar that is a slap in the face to GW1 fans that leaves several people, myself included, thinking they should have just used Menzies for PoF this entire time).

24 minutes ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

Anet has said that after Soto they'd be exploring more Tyrian subjects didn't they? Like the Sylvari, Charr, and Norn situation, Cantha's place in the world, etc.

If it's the same post I'm thinking of, what was said more that the expansions will deal with lower level threats, and there are some Tyrian nation and DW member storylines worth including.

They aren't abandoning this either, btw. SotO included almost all of them as a small subplot with the Canthan journalist and answering machine moments, and Janthir Wilds has a lot of Tyrian nation political stuff going on - one of the main plot points being a united nations of sorts between Kryta, Hoelbrak, Rata Sum, Ash Legion, and Cantha - if not more nations/groups.

However, I doubt that things like the Kasjory wedding or "election for Khan-Ur" (bleh, the charr are not - and should not be turned into - just another democracy) would ever be the main plotline of an expansion. They all feel like inciting incidents, much like the All-Legion Rally or the Commander being bored.

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

It is a rather Tyrian subject matter involving the long history of Mist related things affecting Tyria and their constant interests in Tyria. There could be something in Tyria or rather something about Tyria itself that attracts them.

In the long history of Tyria, something Mist related always seem to be attracted to Tyria for one reason or another. It is sometimes simple along with it being personal and sometimes something rather complicated within Tyria that attracts them in some place we never been before or have been but missed it because X or Y reasons. 

With the recent reveal of Mursaat maybe Mist by origin, we may get a bit of perspective on why Mist related things always seem to be attracted to Tyria through the history of Tyria. If they do provide this then how they may present this is going to be something we just have to wait and see through the upcoming expansion.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284

20 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

I also doubt the Gods storyline will come up just yet, when we've still got plenty of GW1/early GW2 mysteries left to tackle, as well as plenty of follow-up GW2 threads (E (I'm guessing will be revealed in Janthir Wilds), Malyck, Doern's homeland, Norn/Asura resettlement efforts, Charr Khan Ur  politics/Ghost follow-up, Deep-sea monster, Canthan Purists in Raisu, etc.). I'm thinking maybe they're saving the Gods Return/War storyline to be the last expac of GW2 (possibly leading  into a GW3), like a full-scale one like HoT, PoF, and EoD, because I just cannot see Anet fitting an entire God War storyline in two maps under the current mini-expac scale, even more so when they've already said they want to focus on non world-ending threats and smaller, local storylines.

Edited by Poormany.4507

13 hours ago, EdwinLi.1284 said:

We're talking about the expansion or one of the expansions after Janthir Wilds expansion. 

Janthir Wilds for now looks focused on Titan, Mursaat, and maybe white mantle (whatever is maybe left of them). Atleast until we see if there are any twists in the end of current story for Janthir Wilds before we are forced to wait until the updates for the next part.

Thing is that if there are Titans there from the events of GW1, they've been there since the events of GW1. White Mantle have been said to be completely destroyed now, the mursaat that were involved with the White Mantle are supposed to be extinct, and those that weren't aren't supposed to be on Tyria.

It's possible that something involved in the SotO or the dragon story has triggered something, but that something still might not be directly linked to what we've seen.

A big part of my thinking is that the preorder weapon and shoulder set is weird based on the groups that we currently know about. Some of them are serpent-themed, others are octopus (possibly Cthulhu-esque) themed, and the shoulders make me think of the Zoroastrian serpent king. Previous preorder weapons have typically been linked to the themes of the associated expansion (with the whole set usually being fairly easy to collect once the expansion releases), so the choice of the weapon set theme does seem to be pointing towards something coming out of the water being at least a significant subtheme for the expansion. And the octopus theme seems to be pointing at this not just being krait. 

5 hours ago, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

Possibly, but I feel like after just doing SoTO, which had some lovecraftian like tentacle demons, doing lovecraftian threat again may be too repetitive. And it would be an odd fake-out to feature the Titans so heavily in the reveal trailer, and not have them be the big bad. I can't recall Anet doing that before off the top of my head.

Eh, they often do feature things that are wildlife in the area rather than the big threat. EoD prerelease marketing went to some lengths to hide the identity of the final big bad and its minions.

The current overarching theme does seem to be "things that are responding to the dragons being gone". Something coming out of the Mists could be one explanation. Something rising up out of the deeps could be another. The Krait have had their prophecy of doom (for everyone else) for a while - the mix of cephalopod and serpentine imagery in the weapon set might be a hint as to what form the obelisk-builders take. And it's possible that said obelisk-builders have taken an interest in Janthir. Some kind of twist also seems more interesting to me than ArenaNet pulling yet another "this force that you thought you beat in an earlier instalment is back and is now the big threat again" bottom-pull: we beat the titans in Prophecies, we beat them again in Nightfall, we finished off a survivor as a side quest in EotN, having a few stragglers in Janthir makes sense from a narrative viewpoint but I'm not convinced that they're the big bad just because they're the wildlife we see in preview videos thus far. They might be more along the lines of the dinosaurs in Heart of Thorns, which were shown off a lot in marketing but while they were a significant danger in the jungle, they weren't the reason we were there.

Granted, Gorseval is bedecked in tentacles and is often theorised to be a spontaneously-formed titan, so it's possible that threads will come together that way. But I think the preorder weapon set is a strong hint that there's something important that's otherwise being kept under wraps.

Posted (edited)

Speaking of Menzies, I remember back in Path of Fire, some of the Inquisitive Djnn mentions that if Menzies is still alive, he may have taken over the Fissure of Woe despite the Shadow Army becoming weaker since events of GW1 due to how Balthazar diverted all his attention on the Elder Dragons and moved all his Eternal Forces to become Forge.

If this is true for current events then things are far worse than we may think with the Shadow Army maybe now have full control over the Fissure of Woe. It would also explain why they can invest in countless attempts to invade Tyria now despite the Astral Ward needing to prevent their attempts each time.

This also means that Menzies may have control of the Temple of War which cannot be good considering what he may create with the Eternal Forge. 

Tyria will certainly be in for a fight if things are bad as they maybe hinted at back in Path of Fire unless events allow the Astral Ward, the commander/wayfinder, and whatever allies we get to act against the Shadow Army in advance.

Other than that, we are still waiting on discovering how the Shadow Army is created which would be a ideal time to explain in a expansion focused on the Shadow Army.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, EdwinLi.1284 said:

Other than that, the Shadow Army is something I am concerned with since from what Lyhr said in his memories,

what is shadow army? these guys from menzies domain we see in dragonfall?

that would be reallly interesting direction, that so many cool stuff they can link.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

what is shadow army? these guys from menzies domain we see in dragonfall?

that would be reallly interesting direction, that so many cool stuff they can link.

The Shadow Army is a old enemy from GW1. They are Menzies (Balthazar's "evil" half-brother) main forces and their origins are unknown. There have been many theories from NPCs since GW1 about their origins but never confirmed how they are created. 

Only thing known about them is that Menzies commands them and they have this passive behavior to kill anything related to Balthazar in anyway. 

Back in GW1, one of the first two Raids for GW1 focus on fighting the Shadow Army in the Fissure of Woe to turn the battle into Balthazar's favor and was the location where players obtain the Obsidian Armor as GW1's Legendary Armor. Menzies never appeared as he chosen to remain in the shadows commanding the Shadow Army. 

You can get a quick summary of events here..... 

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Menzies

Edited by EdwinLi.1284
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, anninke.7469 said:

Well, I certainly hope our old friends and acquaintances will NOT call us "Wayfinder" all of a sudden. The Wizards are supposed to work in secrecy, right? So "Commander" it should be.

Probably stay Commander for them but that may change as things move forward since our character is technically retired like everyone else but was just having a hard time moving forward after the war. Basically being that Veteran returning from war but do not know what to do now the war is over person.

Our character's title is based on how people view our character by their own organization, country, group, and etc. During early parts of Path of Fire, our character was called Outlander by Elonian people since it is their term for outsiders who are in their country. They only started to move into Commander due to being more formal when their country began diplomatic relationships with other countries. 

Not to mention our character's title was constantly changing through the Zhaitan Arc until they became known as the Commander by title.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1