I miss meta events making sense in terms of story

I feel like big meta events used to makes sense while they ran parallel to the story, like Dragon's Stand: Story mode you entered the mind of Mordremoth and attack it while the army attacked/distracted their body, and the meta you were part of the army attacking the body. Perfect makes sense. This applies to Dragonfall and Kralk, pretty much same set up, and still makes sense.

I want to avoid spoilers for anyone who hasn't done the final SotO mission yet:

Spoiler

Why am I killing Eparch twice in 2 different forms? Both with Peitha and everyone with me? Have they not realised he is dead twice?

The story mission and the meta can't exist in the same lore/story, so why do it?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

Hide contents

It was all a dream!

Waiting for our Commander/Wayfinder to wake up to our partner being in the shower, asking us why we look so upset.

• Haha 7
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Edge.1653 said:

Waiting for our Commander/Wayfinder to wake up to our partner being in the shower, asking us why we look so upset.

That was actually the scene I was thinking of. So, that partner? Sieran/Tybalt/Forgal?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Spoiler

I thought you fight him in open world first and then he retreats injured, so you follow him into his base for the final battle.  They say he retreated to his tower  

• Like 1

I haven't done the meta yet but I did finish the story, sort of spaced out throughout because I stopped caring about the game's story somewhere along the time of DRMs but ultimately this means that 

Spoiler

ANET gave us THREE fights with Eparch. In the story, in the meta, and in a fractal. That's.... something.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
Spoiler

ANET gave us THREE fights with Eparch. In the story, in the meta, and in a fractal. That's.... something.

I can finally bust out the "how many times do we need to teach you this lesson, old man?!" meme!

Edited by KindredPhoenyx.8976
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Tom.8029 said:

Hide contents

I thought you fight him in open world first and then he retreats injured, so you follow him into his base for the final battle.  They say he retreated to his tower  

Correct. The story for this last episode is supposed to go 1st mission>meta>the rest of the episode. 

Granted, that really could've stood to have been signposted even a little, but it is what it is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Randin.5701 said:

Correct. The story for this last episode is supposed to go 1st mission>meta>the rest of the episode. 

Granted, that really could've stood to have been signposted even a little, but it is what it is.

When we said "complete events" as a story step, we meant go do the map meta, not repeat the easiest fastest events possible to progress the story.

I'm still amazed that they managed to get away with instructing you to complete events immediately after creating a whole story instance to hear 3 lines of dialogue at the start of the grand finale.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

I'm still amazed that they managed to get away with instructing you to complete events immediately after creating a whole story instance to hear 3 lines of dialogue at the start of the grand finale.

I genuinely finished up that instance and said, "This should have been an in-game mail and I wonder how many dev-hours were wasted on this?"

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

When we said "complete events" as a story step, we meant go do the map meta, not repeat the easiest fastest events possible to progress the story.

Here's the weird part, the "complete events" part is the middle of the first mission (mission one: talk to everyone>do events>return and defeat the ambush), and it's after that mission that we're narratively supposed to do the meta, so if you do the meta to finish off the "complete events" requirement, you're still doing things out of order.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2024 at 6:42 PM, Randin.5701 said:

Here's the weird part, the "complete events" part is the middle of the first mission (mission one: talk to everyone>do events>return and defeat the ambush), and it's after that mission that we're narratively supposed to do the meta, so if you do the meta to finish off the "complete events" requirement, you're still doing things out of order.

Hadn't even though of that.

The whole complete events to fill the bar is such low effort filler anyway.

• Confused 1

Its been that way almost the entire time, you need to do the map metas to unlock the final dungeon and complete Orr, Heart of Thorns metas are parallel to the story, Path of Fire is nearly the same, but not identical, End of Dragons put an achievement for the last map but a few of the stories make more sense doing the meta first, and so has SotO. I've gotten so engrained to complete (or at least attempt) the entire map meta before doing any story content in the map I'm not sure how to view the story of this game in any other fashion. Everything is messed up chronologically if you just steamroll the story and then go "I probably should do the meta at some point..." You still get plotholes doing the entire meta first, but its mostly characters you will eventually come across and not key details that scratch your head... its not like if you skipped an entire LWS you have no clue who the hell Taimi is... I went down that road before slamming the brakes real fast. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Arenanet forgot their great idea to include a visible achievement boon that appears to suggest doing the meta before story that they did for Dragon's End. They were too busy adding dozens of other boons to your bar instead of making that an achievement you can keep track of.

• Confused 1

On 5/29/2024 at 4:18 PM, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

Hadn't even though of that.

The whole complete events to fill the bar is such low effort filler anyway.

it feels like it is the "go kill 10 boars" questline.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, eyelogix.1654 said:

Except it's the "Go kill 10 bears to fill a sliver of the bar and then repeat until the bar is full" quest line.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Confused 2

13 hours ago, eyelogix.1654 said:

25 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Except it's the "Go kill 10 bears to fill a sliver of the bar and then repeat until the bar is full" quest line.

Worse still, it's "go busy yourself until the bar is full" at least someone had to come up with the boars, make the boars, write the dialogue about killing boars. This is just go do some stuff that you could do anyway - yes same as you did last time, and the time before that.

• Confused 1

The meta does make sense, it has the same idea as DE. You fight Eparch, who runs away to not die and then you confront him in his Throne room in the story afterwards. The meta doesn't run at the same time as the story - DS, DF - but the meta preceeds the last fight.

On 5/29/2024 at 4:39 PM, Hsanrb.1570 said:

Its been that way almost the entire time, you need to do the map metas to unlock the final dungeon and complete Orr, Heart of Thorns metas are parallel to the story, Path of Fire is nearly the same, but not identical, End of Dragons put an achievement for the last map but a few of the stories make more sense doing the meta first, and so has SotO. I've gotten so engrained to complete (or at least attempt) the entire map meta before doing any story content in the map I'm not sure how to view the story of this game in any other fashion. Everything is messed up chronologically if you just steamroll the story and then go "I probably should do the meta at some point..." You still get plotholes doing the entire meta first, but its mostly characters you will eventually come across and not key details that scratch your head... its not like if you skipped an entire LWS you have no clue who the hell Taimi is... I went down that road before slamming the brakes real fast. 🤣

You're trying to explain that Anet has been doing this for a while to people that want to complain about Anet changing things.

• Like 2