Personal Housing, A New Raid, A New Weapon, and More: Janthir Wilds launches August 20! [Merged]

• ArenaNet Staff

We are thrilled to announce that the next Guild Wars 2 expansion, Janthir Wilds, is launching August 20, 2024! 

Janthir Wilds will bring a new story, two new maps, account-wide personal housing, on-land spears for all professions, a new raid, the Warclaw mount in PvE, and more! Read the details about these features here

Like what you see? Prepurchase is available now

Prepurchasing any edition of Guild Wars 2: Janthir Wilds before the expansion launches at approximately 9:00 a.m. Pacific Time (UTC-7) on August 20, 2024, will grant you the “Homesteader” title, the Dual Serpents Shoulder Armor skin, and a box with your choice of one Serpent’s Wrath weapon skin.

Visit the official store page for full details on the items included in the Standard, Deluxe, and Ultimate Editions. You can purchase Guild Wars 2: Janthir Wilds through the official store or from the in-game store, Steam, or official retailers. 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 1

Just now, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

We're working on that--the publishing process chose a FINE TIME to rebel. 😄 

Better check the buy.guildwars2.com page, as well.  Under Collections, it  lists the Black Lion Patron Pack for 29.99 including the Base Game and all 3 regular expansions (HoT, PoF, EoD). 

Posted (edited)

Does not seem to exciting. I mean the housing will probably be a grind (if you want to unlock lots of stuff for it) - and after getting the main stuff you won't ever visit it a lot again.(Unless it also has a lot of gameplay value - more than the home instance. I expect a trading post and all crafting stations to be possible to add!)

Weapon for all professions? Like ... all with the same skills or at least different skills? Does not sound too interesting when you have limited weapon-swap (no in-combat weapon swap) as engineer. Unless that new thing uses a totally different equipment slot + is available all the time. (Swapping with a button similar to the special action key.)

Raid: Well the raiders will be happy. Lets see how fast they will cry for more. 😄 I hope it is made sure that nothing  related to the housing (except maybe "skins") is locked behind the raid. We already know things from the EoD turtle (egg and the item from the Kainen strike) - would be weird if they really did not learn from this.

The news still needs to be enabled. (Still not working - the new links on the main page.) They are going to a 404 quaggan.

Needs to deliver on the story/plot and beautiful maps to explore.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 13

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

We're working on that--the publishing process chose a FINE TIME to rebel. 😄 

All good. 😉 I've also discovered a typo here: "[...] a dangerous land that was once home to the strange mursaat and their White Mantle sycophants in the time of the original Guild Wars 2®."

This was surely meant to say "The original Guild Wars", no? 😁

Also, is there a way to preview the Deluxe Edition features other than the screenshot in the promo video? 🙂 (Edit: The table reminds me of Dragon Age: Inquisition, heh.)

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Sounds pretty interesting to me overall. The warclaw was a surprise which I'm wondering what the use will be for it. I do have some cool warclaw skins that are underutilized. The new raid will be nice too! Am I to assume that the new raid will replace the strike missions, or will be still be getting 2 strike missions on release, a fractal, and a raid later on?

• Like 2

Spear looks nice and the areas, I like that boreal tundra stuff. But the housing? I mean we had perfectly nice places in cities for players, why put it in the middle of nowhere? 

• Like 7

Reading this, I hope we will be able to preview those armor skins and cosmetics this time before we start working on them:

"At launch, players will be able to work toward two new armor and weapon sets as well as several other cosmetic rewards."

I don't want a repetition of the Obsidian Armor fiasco...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Nemo.6295 said:

Spear looks nice and the areas, I like that boreal tundra stuff. But the housing? I mean we had perfectly nice places in cities for players, why put it in the middle of nowhere? 

yeah..  this tribal themed house is not that nice.

tired of this tribal themed mmos in general.

Edited by Efar.8153
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Forgotten Legend.9281 said:

won't let me pay... UNLIKE the gem store... it won't ask me for me PIN for my card, and then gives me an error (108)

Same here.  I posted in Account/Technical issues about it, though it might belong in Bugs.

the coolest thing about the raid: There is also world event style way to complete it...!!!!

RAIDS AND ENCOUNTERS

Additional challenging encounters will become available alongside new story chapters in the three major releases that follow Guild Wars 2: Janthir Wilds In the first of these releases, around November 2024, you'll get to challenge a new raid comprising three encounters. The story of these encounters will be accessible in two ways: through a classic 10-player raid instance (our eighth raid), or with large groups in open-world events. The Convergences system will also be extended to the region of Janthir, including Janthir-specific enemies. The following major release, coming in the first quarter of 2025, will introduce a challenge mode and legendary challenge mode for the raid. And in our final major release for Guild Wars 2: Janthir Wilds, we'll add a new fractal and its accompanying challenge mode.

• Like 11

16 minutes ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Weapon for all professions? Like ... all with the same skills or at least different skills? Does not sound too interesting when you have limited weapon-swap (no in-combat weapon swap) as engineer. Unless that new thing uses a totally different equipment slot + is available all the time. (Swapping with a button similar to the special action key.)

They stated in the overview page some professions will "melee" the spear while others will be able to "hurl" it from range so, like any other weapon so far, the skills will be unique per profession.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Reading this, I hope we will be able to preview those armor skins and cosmetics this time before we start working on them:

"At launch, players will be able to work toward two new armor and weapon sets as well as several other cosmetic rewards."

I don't want a repetition of the Obsidian Armor fiasco...

I thought that sentence referred to the Wizard's Vault skins/cosmetics.  🤷‍♂️

But, it might be something else, as there is usually only 1 set of armor in each WV season. 

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

I see. The news page was not available earlier. Reading this later in more detail.l The new PvP mode announcement seems nice. + the story of the raids being playable in open world. (Hopefully not too much stuff is locked behind the instanced version then - they should keep this to exclusive titles and some skins maybe.)

The Warclaw is the same cheap thing as the turtle (mainly for EoD and the siege damage) and the Skyscale siege fireball - probably mandatory for some events in the new maps but you won't use it regularly. 😄

Edited by Luthan.5236