Personal Housing, A New Raid, A New Weapon, and More: Janthir Wilds launches August 20! [Merged]

On 6/5/2024 at 5:21 PM, LichOverlord.6329 said:

I still have no idea what this "horse" thing you're talking about is...

Fabienne: "Where is horse?" Butch: "Horse's dead, baby. Horse's dead.".

3 hours ago, Kuldor.9682 said:

As a very long time FF14 player, I don't know why anyone would copy the island sanctuary, at all.

It's some of the worst content the game has ever added, and definitely the worst when it comes to recent years, and it's not like the community hasn't been vocal about it.

Yes. It's horrible. I agree housing in FF14 is horrible. Decorating is horrible. The oversized furniture is horrible. Blocking off 3/4 of your house because the item count is laughable is horrible.

I hope GW2 does it better. I but I'm not holding my breath.

4 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

You should, because if Homestead decorating will be similar to guild halls, it will be pretty good and lots of fun. 🙂 

Guild halls decoration is crude and awful, its like comparing a diorama where you can randomly glue bits on to it to Sims 4.  I recommend experimenting with Free ESO to experience what good housing looks like.

Edited by Bladestrom.6425
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Bladestrom.6425 said:

Then i can only guess you have not played a game with properly fleshed out housing, because guilds halls is NOWHERE  near it.

That is very true, though. 😄

While I can agree on the GW2's tools for placing decoration to be crude and time-consuming, you can still get excellent results once you have mastered the pain. 😉 

• Confused 3

Just now, Ashantara.8731 said:

While I can agree on the GW2's tools for placing decoration to be crude and time-consuming, you can still get excellent results once you have mastered the pain. 😉 

Honestly its an unknown unknown for you, its like comparing baby lego bricks  to technical lego,  Do yourself a favour and try out eso or rift or one of the other games with proper housing, you will be blown away if you think GW2 guild halls are good lol and then you will realise how bad it truly is.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Do you have any screenshots of these results somewhere? I've never seen anything that looked better than a yard sale in all of the guilds I've been in. 

• Like 2

watch a video not screenshots or try the game for yourself, the difference is the configurability and the ability to layer and manoeuvre and the scale of the change and architecture permitted. 

As Morpheus once said 'Unfortunately, no one can be told what the housing is. You have to see it for yourself'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Bladestrom.6425 said:

watch a video not screenshots or try the game for yourself, the difference is the configurability and the ability to layer and manoeuvre and the scale of the change and architecture permitted. 

As Morpheus once said 'Unfortunately, no one can be told what the housing is. You have to see it for yourself'

Another good one to look at would be Warframe dojos. People have done some amazing things with decorating those.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bladestrom.6425 said:

Honestly its an unknown unknown for you, its like comparing baby lego bricks  to technical lego,  Do yourself a favour and try out eso or rift or one of the other games with proper housing, you will be blown away if you think GW2 guild halls are good

I just said that I had fun decorating my GH, but I believe you that other games certainly have much more advanced systems. No need to try to convince me. 😉 

Player housing is nothing that interests me all that much, so I am not going to spend money on other games merely to try out their excellent housing systems. 😄

• Confused 3

I don't know about Rift, never played that one, but I wouldn't recommend someone start ESO just to check out the housing. Takes quite a while to buy a good house and get good furnishings if just using gold. But there are housing walkthrough videos that should give a good idea of all that it can do. Of course, even then if you don't know how the house looks empty you won't be flabbergasted about how these decorators altered them so much.

• Like 1

Maybe I missed this information but, is the skyscale will be available on Janthir Wilds ? (or any other mount)

I don't see what is exciting having new abilities on the Warclaw... Unless it is the only mount possible to use on Janthir map, in which case that will be awesome (no more Skyscale, Roller beetle cut... only Warclaw for everybody !)

Edited by Blackbones.4259
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Blackbones.4259 said:

Maybe I missed this information but, is the skyscale will be available on Janthir Wilds ? (or any other mount)

I don't see what is exciting having new abilities on the Warclaw... Unless it is the only mount possible to use on Janthir map, in which case that will be awesome (no more Skyscale, Roller beetle cut... only Warclaw for everybody !)

The Warclaw

In Janthir Wilds, the warclaw mount will be featured with new mechanics. Previously only available through World vs. World, the warclaw will be introduced to players in the story of Guild Wars 2: Janthir Wilds, including new skills for PvE play. At the same time, we’ll be revisiting the warclaw’s WvW skills to provide a refreshed experience that builds on what we’ve learned about mounts since first implementing the warclaw.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-guild-wars-2-janthir-wilds/

Probabely should have read the whole post but yea why would only warclaw work?

it is not like there will be no sky for griffon/skyscale or no ground for the other mounts.

Edited by Linken.6345

Too bad

Except for WvW (a lot of player are interested by PVE content only) we can imagine that the warclaw will be "useful" for some event requiring it, maybe bypass some zone like Roller beetle can destroy wall... limited use only...

It would have really be fun making this mount the only option on those new maps, Skyscale will probably do 90% of the completion/exploration of Janthir Wilds

Skyscale make all the other mounts obsolete, in very rare case I will use the other mounts, I don't see that changing with the new xpac

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Blackbones.4259 said:

All mounts work everywhere on open world maps, you just need to have unlocked them in order to use them and mastered them to utilize their full potential.

The Skyscale being available in SotO to players who have not yet unlocked it was an exception, because ANet wanted new players to be able to play the map and unlock the mount. The same will likely be the case for the Warclaw in JW.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

55 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

All mounts work everywhere on open world maps, you just need to have unlocked them in order to use them and mastered them to utilize their full potential.

The Skyscale being available in SotO to players who have not yet unlocked it was an exception, because ANet wanted new players to be able to play the map and unlock the mount. The same will likely be the case for the Warclaw in JW.

As much as I appreciate your reply, I don't think you understood the point I was trying to make, I'm fully aware of having mastered each mounts at their full potential offer various of different skill, movement etc... and yet, 95% of the time even with those multitudes of mounts mastered at max, I'm using the Skyscale.

The Skyscale in Soto is a must, the whole expansion is centered to it (meta, event, mastery, story etc...),  Skyscale being by far superior to every other mounts, even if I can, I don't want or need to use other mounts to do the contents. 

Now that being said, except for specific "path" (example like the roller beetle can break wall, or the jackal can use portal), Meta or Event (example requiring you to use specific new mastery of the warclaw to get participation...) what will make the Warclaw the new mount ?  Why would I want if I can travel, explore, do quests or any content with the Skyscale, forcing myself with the Warclaw ? Will the Warclaw have wings and fly like a Skyscale ? Spit fireball ? Run at the speed of the roller beetle ? 

Skyscale will still dominate all the PVE content on those new maps by the simple fact that a flying mount is way more practical, fast and easy to use... Warclaw can't beat the Skyscale, even with new shiny mastery.

Now for WvW that's another story, as it is the only mount available there, having new skill on it is definitively useful and a cool addition.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I mentioned this earlier because I have concerns about it:

I have a bad feeling about Warclaw. In press kit (you can see here -> https://zebrapartners.net/janthirwilds/) there is a mention - "New and improved Warclaw... using its unique double-jump ability to navigate tough terrain". Why do we need to jump when we have flying mounts? And now a description of the maps from the same document - "New maps...  tempestuous Janthir Syntri". I hope that "tempestuous" does not mean that we will not be able to use flying mounts due to the weather.

Edited by Fang.2137

4 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

There might be indirect benefits, too. Maybe if PvE'ers earn a Warclaw via the xpack, they might be more inclined to give WvW a try. As it is now, WvW isn't reasonable if you have no mount, making the process of getting it even more annoying. You just can't keep up (or escape) solely on foot. Maybe having the mount already might encourage more players to try it out. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Going through the features-list, it does look quite promising. Same as with SotO, I think the QOL improvements and overall gameplay improvements will shine brighter than the plot. Which is not a bad thing to be honest. For a game as old as Guildwars 2, which already has a fantastic story, those upgrades make it more appealing in comparison to the competitors on the market. There is still a lot to catch up with though. But ... step by step.

The decision for housing is a bit weird though. Looking at the market, I understand why you have changed your mind. But I still do not consider the target-audience large enough to be worth the entrepreneurial risk. On the other hand, looking at the customization options so far, you did not invest/risk too much budget for the feature. I think you are going to test it and see if it is worth to continue that feature. I'll try it for sure, out of curiosity of course. I already like some of your selected design elements.

Another thing I am really looking forward to is the Warclaw rework for PvE, something we have been requesting for years. Looking at all the ideas we had about its new 'purpose', I'm excited to see what path you have chosen. Hopefully, we also get an new non-wvw method for unlocking it.

Looking forward to the betas. 

• Confused 2