Weapon sets with no matching spears - what's the plan?

This is just something that has been on my mind since the teaser for land spears, but a lot of the really nice weapon sets have no underwater weapons. And since a lot of the spear skins we do have are from early in gw2's history, they really don't compare to the rest of the weapons on offer. This was never really a problem before because spears weren't used very often, but now that they're taking center stage, its a little upsetting? I would be lying if said I wasn't a little (a lot) sad at the prospect of having to break up my matching weapon fashions in order to use the spear.

Is it even possible to retroactively add spear skins? I highly doubt a decade's worth of spear skins is feasible, but maybe just a few? Several staff skins look like they could be spears, would it be possible to share between categories? Or are we just marching on to the brand new horizon and relying on what the future brings to give fashion forward players more options.

I know this probably sounds super complain-y. I am well aware that in the grand scheme of things this isn't really important. I'm just (probably overly) attached to my character's look and theme, and have worked really hard to perfect it. I would really like to at least have a spear version of the Aurene Legendary Weapon Set, but I'm sure I'll figure something out if that isn't possible.

Anyway, great expansion trailer, I really am excited for it!! Keep up the good work.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I have no idea, when under water weapons were cut from the usual weapon sets (after HoT? correct me if I am wrong), but with the confirmation of only adding spears (and not tridents and harpoon guns as well), I expect us to get a lot of spear skins via PvE story steps and perhaps them adding spears to existing BL sets over time (and reducing the over all new BL sets over time to give their Gem store designers more time and resources to add to existing sets), We will see in a few months (or a year to see how BL stuff develops).

Considering there are achievements for collecting an entire BL set, I wouldn't expect them to go back and add to those. But I'm sure they will sell plenty of new skins in the gem store, so hopefully enough to satisfy everyone's fashion sense.

• Sad 1

They did at least add spears to the two new sets available today.  BLC Chromatic Assassin has a spear, as does the Serpent's Wrath choice box from pre-order.  So it seems probable that future sets will also include them.

It would be nice if staff and spear skins were made interchangeable to use on both.  I don't know how easy/desirable ANet would find that, though.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

There is some low hanging fruit here: there are seven unobtainable spear skins in game at the moment (former PVP-skins, some obtainable via the Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock, others totally unobtainable), re-adding those would be a win for sure. And then ofcourse converting (at least) two specific staff skins: the SunSPEAR and the DarkSPEAR (would require an update to two LWS4 episode 1 items). Others might be applicable as well, because of the look, but these two are at least clearly meant as spears... 😉 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AllNightPlayer.1286 said:

A staff is not a spear! :classic_blink:

Agreed.  But so many of the staff skins *would* work as spears, and vice versa.  I suppose they could be selective and only double up the staff/spear options on pointy staffs.

Also, a greatsword is not a laser gun, either 😉

42 minutes ago, Super Hayes.6890 said:

I think they will add Black Lion Spear Skin collections to catch them up without devaluing current collections. After all, every profession is getting spears so this seems like an easy business decision to sell more black lion keys.

Adding spear skins to every BL collection and making those collections complete at 16 out of 17 would allow them to be a part of the existing sets without taking away anyone's current completion.

3 hours ago, coollizzylou.9387 said:

This is just something that has been on my mind since the teaser for land spears, but a lot of the really nice weapon sets have no underwater weapons. And since a lot of the spear skins we do have are from early in gw2's history, they really don't compare to the rest of the weapons on offer. This was never really a problem before because spears weren't used very often, but now that they're taking center stage, its a little upsetting? I would be lying if said I wasn't a little (a lot) sad at the prospect of having to break up my matching weapon fashions in order to use the spear.

Is it even possible to retroactively add spear skins? I highly doubt a decade's worth of spear skins is feasible, but maybe just a few? Several staff skins look like they could be spears, would it be possible to share between categories? Or are we just marching on to the brand new horizon and relying on what the future brings to give fashion forward players more options.

I know this probably sounds super complain-y. I am well aware that in the grand scheme of things this isn't really important. I'm just (probably overly) attached to my character's look and theme, and have worked really hard to perfect it. I would really like to at least have a spear version of the Aurene Legendary Weapon Set, but I'm sure I'll figure something out if that isn't possible.

Anyway, great expansion trailer, I really am excited for it!! Keep up the good work.

It's a fair question. I also wonder what the legendary spear will look like. I wouldn't want staff skins though...they're already in use for a different weapon type after all. Let's see what Anet says to this; I'm really curious.

Wow! Gw2efficiency says there are 327 axe (picked one category) skins compared to only 99 spear skins. Anet really does need to start cranking out some more options. A bunch of those spears are the various ascended skins that (I think) only vary by color.

Posted (edited)

I am SO glad that someone else has already posted this! I would love to see a legendary spear that goes with my character theme… because quite frankly… my fairy esque character isn’t going to be rocking a decaying shark!

Even if it was just adding an Aurene’s Spine (LOL - my iteration of what could be the name for an Aurene based legendary spears). Or even something like “The Sunspear” which was light & sparkly focused legendary spear (again, rather than a dead fish).

PLEASE ANET, THINK OF THE SPARKLY LIGHT ORIENTED CHARACTERS <3.

PS very excited for the new spear and to see what legendaries are ahead!. 

Edited by AvaLilly.6375
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Aaron Forestman.4758 said:

Adding spear skins to every BL collection and making those collections complete at 16 out of 17 would allow them to be a part of the existing sets without taking away anyone's current completion.

True, but a handful of new, spear only, collections allows us a chance to earn 7 more claim tickets per collection