Spears for everyone—condolences to devs

Posted (edited)

To the dear game designers and developers,

You have my sympathy for all those spear skins you missed out the whole time and now have to add to the game, so players may buy/grind for the skin (sets). We always told you to not miss out the underwater weapons and always do 19 skins per set, though. 🫢

Edited by AllNightPlayer.1286
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 5

• AllNightPlayer.1286 changed the title to Spears for everyone—condolences to devs

Will take a wild guess that the "spears" we are getting will have a different code to them than the water ones so the point is rather mute most likely.  They will not need to do anything other than create skins for land spears and continue to ignore the water ones. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Surelia.2651 said:

Will take a wild guess that the "spears" we are getting will have a different code to them than the water ones so the point is rather mute most likely.  They will not need to do anything other than create skins for land spears and continue to ignore the water ones. 

their release page (which is now online) says spears will be available to all classes on land and water, including those that didn't have access to them in water before. i think its worded a bit differently but that's more or less the gist of it.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Surelia.2651 said:

You might want to read the news. Water spears = land spears, as far as skins go.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

You might want to read the news. Water spears = land spears, as far as skins go.

Where does it say that land spears may have water spear skins applied to them?

Obviously I am not a developer, but item coding is not the same as what items appear to be cosmetically.  It is quite possible land spears will have different item coding than what water spears have now, so the skins now available which are coded for them may not work on land spears any more than water spear skills would work on land.  They are different weapons.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5

2 minutes ago, Surelia.2651 said:

Obviously I am not a developer, but item coding is not the same as what items appear to be cosmetically.  It is quite possible land spears will have different item coding than what water spears have now, so the skins now available which are coded for them may not work on land spears any more than water spear skills would work on land.  They are different weapons.

" Spears can be used interchangeably in the aquatic and terrestrial weapon slots"

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Surelia.2651 said:

In their blog post. They say it's the same weapon. https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-guild-wars-2-janthir-wilds/

"Spears can be used interchangeably in the aquatic and terrestrial weapon slots, but you will need to equip multiple spears to use them in both slots. The unlocked spear skins in your wardrobe will work with both versions, and if you’ve made Kamohoali’i Kotaki, the legendary spear, you can equip it through the legendary armory in either slot!"

Edited by kiroho.4738
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

I doubt they'll add skins to all the older sets they made only the 16 land weapons for. Will be new sets getting the spears or maybe spear collection sets. 😄 (And of course we can be sure there will be at least 2 more expansions - each one featuring one of the remaining water weapons on land.)

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, kiroho.4738 said:

In their blog post. They say it's the same weapon. https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-guild-wars-2-janthir-wilds/

"Spears can be used interchangeably in the aquatic and terrestrial weapon slots, but you will need to equip multiple spears to use them in both slots. The unlocked spear skins in your wardrobe will work with both versions, and if you’ve made Kamohoali’i Kotaki, the legendary spear, you can equip it through the legendary armory in either slot!"

Thank you for including that; much appreciated. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

If anything, please just focus on completing the Aurene set! In another post, I suggested Aurene’s Spine could be the spear name. 

Surely the legendary set if any is the one that they close the loop on! I would love to have the consistency in my look and I already have all the others!

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

The only way I see this happening is when the Black Lion Chest cycles through old weapon sets, ie: Being drip fed two new spear skins one Black Lion Chest at a time (Common and Rare Drops)

That said, I seriously have my doubts they will do this.

Edited by spooky.9853
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, spooky.9853 said:

The only way I see this happening is when the Black Lion Chest cycles through old weapon sets, ie: Being drip fed two new spear skins one Black Lion Chest at a time (Common and Rare Drops)

That said, I seriously have my doubts they will do this.

Yea why go back to old sets when they can release new sets.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, RaveOnYou.2819 said:

lol people nowadays are just weird. we were used to getting new elite specs, new weapons for every expansion at past. now we get hyped by spear given all to classes.

You do realize we’ve been asking for land spears since when they first showcased the weapons back before the GW2 Alpha tests, right? The hype is long overdue… now we just need Scythes, Greataxes, and Cestas… then we’ll finally have all of the weapons from GW1 available in GW2.

Edited by Panda.1967
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, RaveOnYou.2819 said:

lol people nowadays are just weird. we were used to getting new elite specs, new weapons for every expansion at past. now we get hyped by spear given all to classes.

So we've gone from a full elite spec (including a weapon) every ~4 years to a new weapon every year. What's surprising about people being excited exactly?

Spear to each Profession is also just as much new stuff as each Profession getting any other random weapon, technically more.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Cernoch.8524 said:

I am worried we will never get all Black Lion spear skins or any other missing sets, most of them would "destroy" collections too. Which is very sad but as OP said, we told you!

They can add new collections for just spear skins only that are themed like older sets.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

They can add new collections for just spear skins only that are themed like older sets.

They can, of course, but will they? It is way too many skins. And no money for Anet that way.

• Confused 1