Housing and home instance nodes locations

Posted (edited)

I heard on Mukluk's stream today when he was talking about the features that will come on JW that our home instance nodes will actually go to the new homestead.  One thing came to my mind as he said that: the nodes placement. It would be nice if this time we can actually choose where to place our nodes instead of having them at set locations like it is now.. otherwise, I don't see being too it much different from what we currently have. If this change will make my gathering route longer because every node will be split at far distances.. it will be hard for me to want to use it instead of the home instance. I wonder how players that own nodes or do daily home instance gathering feel about the subject.

Yes, there will be decorations but most people just want to get the nodes and do other things. I mean, this is also one of the long time requests from players... it's time to do it right.

Edited by leila.7962
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Why not just have a butler/maid in said mastery line that auto gather your stuff and mail it to you each day you login.

A faithful skritt servant would be great!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

If you take a look at the picture from the teaser article (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-guild-wars-2-janthir-wilds/) you will see that e.g. the six garden plots are right in front of the house. I expect those to be an "off-area" for placing decorations, so they don't collide with your wish to put down anything fancy on top of nodes. The areas right of the house could be for your lumber another spot could be for your ore nodes. From the first look, it seems that the Homestead will be smaller in size than the home instance and with less verticality (Sylvari, Norn) and less big things like houses and tanks (Charr, Humans). That layout makes getting to the nodes quicker than in the existing instances.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/5/2024 at 12:12 AM, Linken.6345 said:

Why not just have a butler/maid in said mastery line that auto gather your stuff and mail it to you each day you login.

I actually like the idea lol

On 6/5/2024 at 12:46 AM, DeanBB.4268 said:

A faithful skritt servant would be great!

But this one is even better!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Gorani.7205 said:

If you take a look at the picture from the teaser article (https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-guild-wars-2-janthir-wilds/) you will see that e.g. the six garden plots are right in front of the house.

Ugh, I didn't notice it before.. kinda sucks if it is. It would be fun to have my nodes wherever I wanted them :(( I'll keep my hopes still

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

I agree for a multitude of reasons. The main one being min-maxing gathering based on homestead layout. If ArenaNet ever sells or provides homestead maps for us to swap between, what will happen is we'll just min-max towards the best gathering node map. I'd rather min-max placements than min-max maps. The 2nd reason is that if we get outdoor decorations that the gathering nodes will obstruct our decoration plans. 3rd is that some home gathering nodes are indoors themed, like treasure chests. We can't have them indoors if they get in the way of our indoors furniture. We can't place our bandit lockbox on a table of ours if the placement of nodes are fixed.

On a side note, we also got things like M.O.X and cats. I hope they don't forget about them and I hope that they also let us place them too.

Edited by Quench.7091
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, leila.7962 said:

Ugh, I didn't notice it before.. kinda sucks if it is. It would be fun to have my nodes wherever I wanted them :(( I'll keep my hopes still

Why? Your argument was you didn't want the gathering route to be longer. If all gathering nodes are placed in those plots outside the house you'll have exactly that. Problem solved, right? So what is it about this that sucks so much?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 6/4/2024 at 11:12 PM, Linken.6345 said:

Why, then, even bother spending resources on building home instances in the first place?  Just have the items automatically added to the account when you log in.

I'd be willing to wager that the large majority of players who get and build out their home instances would only be doing it for the "free" resources anyway.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

4 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Why, then, even bother spending resources on building home instances in the first place?  Just have the items automatically added to the account when you log in.

I'd be willing to wager that the large majority of players who get and build out their home instances would only be doing it for the "free" resources anyway.

The homestead will be a bit more than just the nodes in the home instance that we have now.. The butler maid idea would be just a convenience for the homestead owners, and good part of what Anet sells to players is convenience (shared inventory slots, gear / build tabs, basic nodes, etc.).

I honestly think it will be a small amount of people that will actually work on their homstead space. In many games that I've played before and even now, these private instances that can be customized are quite often left aside by most players. I do appreciate that they cared this time to give something that isn't related to the regular world events for this small group of people to play.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, BeardedBacon.9328 said:

The idea of a fully customizable home having set locations for nodes seems really antithetical. Would be a major flop for anet since you'd have to rework your entire home design around the nodes being there

Depends on what they give us. I think i will make it work 

9 hours ago, BeardedBacon.9328 said:

The idea of a fully customizable home having set locations for nodes seems really antithetical. Would be a major flop for anet since you'd have to rework your entire home design around the nodes being there

I doubt it will be "fully customizable". Just like the Guild Halls , I expect Homesteads to have set locations for all the buildings. So, having set locations for nodes won't matter.

• Confused 2

On 6/6/2024 at 8:23 AM, TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

Why? Your argument was you didn't want the gathering route to be longer. If all gathering nodes are placed in those plots outside the house you'll have exactly that. Problem solved, right? So what is it about this that sucks so much?

I don't think ore nodes or resource racks will be able to be placed on gardening plots. That's why. My MAIN argument refers to the matter of players placing the nodes they own how they want it, and not a matter of "well, I hope it's a gathering route a bit better than what we currently have". The secondary argument is that if that isn't the case, and if the route is longer because they like to add nodes at ridiculous places I will prob not want to use the homestead. The whole point is, is the homestead really my home my way or is it half my way and half Anet's way?

On 6/9/2024 at 6:19 PM, leila.7962 said:

I don't think ore nodes or resource racks will be able to be placed on gardening plots. That's why. My MAIN argument refers to the matter of players placing the nodes they own how they want it, and not a matter of "well, I hope it's a gathering route a bit better than what we currently have". The secondary argument is that if that isn't the case, and if the route is longer because they like to add nodes at ridiculous places I will prob not want to use the homestead. The whole point is, is the homestead really my home my way or is it half my way and half Anet's way?

It's always going to be a bit of both. For starters, you won't be able to change what your homestead looks like. I doubt we'll be able to make it look like a Sylveri homestead, for instance (which I personally would love and prefer). Whatever decorations we get will look what they look like and we won't be able to change that either. It's never going to be 100% customizable.

Personally I don't care how the gathering nodes are placed. I mean, to me it's completely inconsequential if it takes me 5 minutes to gather everything or 7 minutes. But that's just me. The only thing I would dislike is if nodes are placed in spots where I would want to put a decoration, or something along those lines. From everything I've seen so far I already know I'm not going to get the homestead I would prefer. I can only hope along the line we get options, e.g. homestead catering to the aesthetics of the 5 playable races.

That's not to say I'm dissatisfied with what we've seen so far. I'll gladly explore the possibilities we get and spend time and resources on it if it's something I actually like. I don't expect my personal tastes and preferences to be catered to in general anyway.

Edit: typo.

Edited by TheNecrosanct.4028
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

I'm leaning toward being able to put the nodes wherever we want like other decorations. Showing the example picture confirms nothing but a location that could be completely prefab or placed by an in game tool.

Yea and then people stack everything in as little space as possible to be able to glyph of reaping their own homestead in seconds.

Great idea mate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

With homesteads coming - and not knowing which locations they will be available in - I see no point in the home instance any more. Add all the home instance features (gathering nodes + krait / HP) to the homestead and simply make it possible to enter your homestead from all the entrances to the homestead too.

Then the home instance can just remain as an instanced location and part of the personal story online.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, vandrefalk.6823 said:

With homesteads coming - and not knowing which locations they will be available in - I see no point in the home instance any more. Add all the home instance features (gathering nodes + krait / HP) to the homestead and simply make it possible to enter your homestead from all the entrances to the homestead too.

Then the home instance can just remain as an instanced location and part of the personal story online.

They already said they will in the blogpost about the nodes.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-guild-wars-2-janthir-wilds/

share space with your friends, and access nodes and unlockable resources from your personal story home instance.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/11/2024 at 9:55 PM, Linken.6345 said:

Yea and then people stack everything in as little space as possible to be able to glyph of reaping their own homestead in seconds.

Great idea mate.

What would be wrong with that?  Heaven forbid they try to save 30 seconds. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1