Necromancer Spear Description

10 hours ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

@Magmi.6723  Swords go far beyond meta, which isn't their purpose in the first place.

• real mobility (not teleports to an "anchor" or enemy) with double leap
  • amazing mob tagging, far better than staff
  • a real ranged weapon - Staff and Axe are good for burst only, after that you swap or go shroud.
  • well rounded - you got cc, lifesteal, life force generation, mobility, might and vulni generation.

I've no idea why so many necros diss the swords. I'm running full Grieving gear hybrid reaper and I couldn't be happier
having double swords as one of my weapons swap options.

What's your other weapon on that build ? 

On the topic of spear : a new two-handed power weapon with mobility with a chill debuff sound nice, i just hope the "perforate" skill either channel fast or has at least 600 range otherwise necro will continue to suffer from his lack of stability/aegis.

Won't happen but it would be nice if they applied the "reset one CD" when coming out of shroud mechanic to all weapons.

5 hours ago, raido.4073 said:

What's your other weapon on that build ? 

On the topic of spear : a new two-handed power weapon with mobility with a chill debuff sound nice, i just hope the "perforate" skill either channel fast or has at least 600 range otherwise necro will continue to suffer from his lack of stability/aegis.

Won't happen but it would be nice if they applied the "reset one CD" when coming out of shroud mechanic to all weapons.

Other is Greatsword - has chills for bleeds, has big damage and a nice pull.
Unless i feel really feisty and want to go with Terror build for one reason or another, then i'll run staff for Reaper's Mark.
But 95% of the time it's GS.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Honestly not what i wanted but we get what we get... Spear 4 looks the same as spear 5 under water which is 600 distance (which isn't much) good luck hitting thief or WB or anything that can  run  away from you in WvW. Soul shards  mechanic can be fun to play around with, recharging  spear 4 when exiting shroud can be fun to play around with but overall I'm not too excited about  necro melee weapon especially in WvW

Edited by Memento Mori.1326

• 2 weeks later...

Spear 5 introduces a new stacking debuff that negates one incoming boon. No news yet on if it counts multiple stacks of the same boon as one incoming boon or stack number.  Tooltip on stream said it applied 3 stacks of this debuff.  If Stand Your Ground removes 6 stacks, I don't see this as being effective.  If it removes 2, this will be great.

https://i.ibb.co/5xHN5QS/addle.png
https://i.ibb.co/TMyLctW/perforate.png
https://i.ibb.co/n6hQ4fw/autoattacks.png
https://i.ibb.co/Dg0NcS5/isolate-distress.png
https://i.ibb.co/G96s5Z0/extirpate.png

okay, judging from cast times, this better serves as a power melee weapon that isn't greatsword. it should be nice to use on power reaper and power harbinger.

skills that grant multiple boons such as 'save yourselves' may immediately consume the debuff if it denies 3 given boons. oh dear. 

• Thanks 2

so once again, we got the short end of the stick....

while everyone else gets flashy skills, cool animations, useful stuff (soft and hard CC, Superspeed, Stability, etc) and gigantic effects, including Haboob, we got a boring auto-attack, and auto attack x5, a skill so underwhelming I literary can't remember what it does (probably another auto-attack), a standard throw with a teleport that needs a target and a standard AoE attack...

gee, you can even see and hear the awkwardness in the guy showing the skills: You spear, you spear again, hey, you spear again... Honestly WTF?!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Seems the desired PvP play pattern is leave shroud->isolate->distress->addle->perforate.

I already have a few suggestions on spear design.

1. It should have long duration stacks of Torment somewhere in the kit to synergize with Power Harbinger.  Can even be only a single stack, but something to work with the second power build in the class.
2. Copying sword and greatsword auto is laaaaame.  Give us something new here, ANet.
3. If Extripation stacks are consumed per stack of incoming boon negated, 3 stacks is totally useless outside of instanced PvE.

Edited by Drarnor Kunoram.5180
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

so once again, we got the short end of the stick

Again ? It’s been a very long time since necromancer saw the short end of any stick, if anything these days it’s considered one of the favourites by Anet, lol 

it didn’t become the 2nd most popular class in the game because it’s bad.

2 hours ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

while everyone else gets flashy skills, cool animations, useful stuff (soft and hard CC, Superspeed, Stability, etc) and gigantic effects, including Haboob, we got a boring auto-attack, and auto attack x5, a skill so underwhelming I literary can't remember what it does (probably another auto-attack), a standard throw with a teleport that needs a target and a standard AoE attack

Warrior would like a word with you.

Necro spear isn’t a short end of any stick, elementalist definitely won, but necro isn’t bad at all. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, felincyriac.5981 said:

as expected, the only boon is might, from skill 5. 

After over a decade you were expecting different, I think the lack of this is intentional realistically, most classes have something they suck at, this is ours. 

Necromancer has always been a more selfish class and it’s designed to be such, but tbh the tbh, necromancer as a class fantasy is selfish, the nature of the magic is to empower yourself so I don’t exactly dislike this tbh 

37 minutes ago, Magmi.6723 said:

it didn’t become the 2nd most popular class in the game because it’s bad.

Necro has consistently been the second most popular profession in the game since its inception. Interestingly, this popularity was a double-edged sword for Necromancers in the past. MO's team seemed to struggle with the idea of Necro being widely favored while Mesmer remained overlooked.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Drarnor Kunoram.5180 said:

It's worth noting that we have no numbers regarding the actual effect of soul shards yet, so there's a lot of power budget we don't have accounted for.

Not the healing but you can see the damage in the video. Lots of 1702 above 50% and 2552 below 50%. 

Just now, Drarnor Kunoram.5180 said:

That's really significant damage.  15k below 50% just from soul shards is hella burst.

Terrible napkin math using the tooltip for life blast but in reality it would be slightly higher, given life steals lower power coefficients , as they only have ~ 2100 power in the stream.

May be wrong but the amount feels right since it comes out to perforate being a 3.0 above 50% and a 3.6 below. 

9 hours ago, Drarnor Kunoram.5180 said:

Seems the desired PvP play pattern is leave shroud->isolate->distress->addle->perforate.

I haven't played PvP in a long time - but the preferred play pattern for Necro always was:

Leave Shroud -> Kite for your life or be CC'ed/bursted instantly if melee.

Spear has no Stab, Aegis, Block, Invuln, Blinds, nothing - so I doubt that changed. Least of all on a Power setup.

As a dual warrrior/necro main I feel majority of ppl here are overreacting.
Necro spear is actually good, and worlds above warrior one.

Necro spear has:

• Skills that actually flow well with each other and weapon's designed purpose
  • Actual mechanics (resetting cooldowns, farming soul shards)
  • An unique effect (boon denial condition on spear 5)
  • A new role in necro's arsenal - high risk/reward 1v1 pursuit weapon.

All of this is a far cry from Warrior's spear design.
Not to mention some commonsensical choices like having an interrupt skill with a fast cast time (1/4s), unlike the warrior (3/4s).

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

36 minutes ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

Necro spear has:

Not to mention some commonsensical choices like having an interrupt skill with a fast cast time (1/4s), unlike the warrior (3/4s).

You need to have stab, prot, swiftness, resistance and cleanse to chase. None of which is given here.
Not even a blind, what u gonna do after u port in> get cc'ed to death like every other necro build?

• Like 1

• The overall lack of supporting boons and conditions on main hand skills is disappointing as usual with every new weapon. Before mainhand sword, now spear.
    The lack of any kind of boon, condi or life force on auto attack chain #1, #2 makes every weapon bland and the same.
  • DId i forgot to mention the cast times of these auto chains is 3/4s not 1/2s for doing nothing else that just damage in 130range ?
  • We have seen the "damage, damage, chill" chain many times now, its time to move on from this ?
    The "Do just damage (nothing else), and even more damage on low enemies" is very unimaginative and un-creative and is very bland and have plenty of that already.
  • The #3 skill on spear is a melee, single target skill which does only 1/4s Daze and 1.5s on someone using a skill.
    I dont think the calibration is right on this one lol.
    This is a 130range attack not a 600 range one. This one is very funny btw.
    Even the immob is only 1.5s on a #3 skill on a single target in melee range as necromancer where everyone will be spamming blind, immob, cc on you lol. Meanwhile it only triggers if you are above certain soul shards limit.
    I'm not sure if it will disrupt anything in the game except yourself by wasting your time casting this skill.
  • #4 Skill is cool n all but what you gonna do after porting lol? get cc'ed? Also the port interval is only 3seconds which is the same problem as core shroud#2 that it is too short because necromancer have in general higher cast times, they cant use these 3seconds to do as much as someone would generally expect.
    No resistance, no stab, no prot, no cleanse, no swiftness, no blinds, no cc. Youre just waiting to die on this set.
  • #5 Skill feels cool right now but it will be nerfed because of zerg play and co ordinated scenarios and will go on 35 second cooldown soon make the set irrelevant. I'd much rather prefer it did something else and be low cd and an effective skill.

At the end of the day this will be just another run around with the zerg and press 2 skills to pad in an already winning fight gameplay.
As always, other classes and the boons or utility they provide are compulsory to enable your gameplay. No solo shenanigans allowed even though you are supposed to have assassination rp lmao.
The life siphon is a trash mechanic and we have enough of that. 
The only cool thing about this spear is that it has port on 4 which gets reset after leaving shroud thats it.

the #3 skill could be like 300 range then it might work on this class lol.
single target, 1/4s daze at 130 range. I cant get past this, its so funny.

Edited by XECOR.2814
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

54 minutes ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

Necro spear has:

Warrior Spear has 2 evades which, fun fact, is 2 more than all Necromancer Weapons combined have. 

E: Not to say Warrior blew me away either - but I'm pretty tired of gimmicks on Necro (be it Life Siphon/Soul Shards, Blight "management", clunky flipovers, low target health - which usually just screw you over my eating up a skills power budged over actually solid good mechanics), I just want proper actual mechanics and play making potential like everything else gets, aka Boons, Evades, Blocks, etc. 

I don't hate the Spear, but it's really not what Necro needed (unless we finally see some major reworks of old weapons, like turning Dagger into a condi melee or support weapon, etc.), and it's not fit for purpose as a Power Melee Weapon for this Profession specifically (unless we finally see some major reworks of old Utility skills, adding some on demand Stab, Mobility and active defense). 

We have way too many dead weapons and skills, and they keeping tossing things onto the same biggest pile of em.

Edited by Asum.4960

38 minutes ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

Skills that actually flow well with each other and weapon's designed purpose

True.

38 minutes ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

Actual mechanics (resetting cooldowns, farming soul shards)

Honestly, that's fluff to force someone into a rotation. Let's say that it add an illusion of complexity that can be used as shield against the "noob class" argument.

43 minutes ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

An unique effect (boon denial condition on spear 5)

Not gonna do much in 99% of the game though.

44 minutes ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

A new role in necro's arsenal - high risk/reward 1v1 pursuit weapon.

The concept of "high risk/reward" is alien to the game. Those were PvE numbers and you can be sure that it will be very different in competitive modes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, XECOR.2814 said:

You need to have stab, prot, swiftness, resistance and cleanse to chase. None of which is given here.
Not even a blind, what u gonna do after u port in> get cc'ed to death like every other necro build?

Since the port is a follow up skill, i can precast a big skill before i port,
and port at the last moment for instant result (like warhorn fear for example).

Also we have a lot of ranged aoes to keep enemy contained prior to our arrival.
Well of Darkness, Spectral Ring CPC to name a few.

Edited by StraightPath.3972
  • Confused 3

26 minutes ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

Since the port is a follow up skill, i can precast a big skill before i port,
and port at the last moment for instant result (like warhorn fear for example).

Also we have a lot of ranged aoes to keep enemy contained prior to our arrival.
Well of Darkness, Spectral Ring CPC to name a few.

you can cry and compare about warrior in warrior profession section. Let us give the feedback we feel here.
Just because you get to eat shet doesnt mean us getting a shoe to eat is better.

Edited by XECOR.2814
  • Confused 1