New Pets from Janthir Wilds?

We haven't seen enough of the world to have a good idea of what type of pet we might get. There were wolves, so I guess it could be a wolf pet? Possibly something to do with bloodstone? Based on the Warclaw skins, maybe a mountain goat pet?

It will be yet another cat pet. 

I'm still miffed that rangers didn't get the improved crocodile-like drake skins seen in Elona. Not to mention that rangers still can't tame raptors, despite NPC rangers having them. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Genesis.8572 said:

It will be yet another cat pet. 

I'm still miffed that rangers didn't get the improved crocodile-like drake skins seen in Elona. Not to mention that rangers still can't tame raptors, despite NPC rangers having them. 

Yeah, it frustrates me as well that in GW1, ArenaNet went "drake pets are possible, but you don't get to have them until GW2" (although lizard pets were pretty close considering what was mechanically possible in GW1) and then story immediately went "oh, raptors are tameable too, but you don't get to have one".

IIRC Pocket Raptor was in the running for pets Ranger could have got back in HoT. Honestly I'm happy we got Smokescale and Bristleback. They're more interesting and cool.

6 hours ago, frazazel.7501 said:

Juvenile Pack of Pocket Raptors

I doubt it, but that would be pretty rad. 🤔

• Like 1

We will probably get 2-3 pets with this expansion.

SotO gave us Aether Hunter, Sky-Chak, and Spinegazer, one in each of the maps. We'll probably get something in JW that shows up as an enemy in the maps, too.

One of the maps will be the delta bog from the screenshot teaser with the autumn trees. This looks like a generic forest, but probably has a marshy portion as well. Could easily get a frog, drake, skale, or skelk in the marsh, or a wolf, bear, deer, or boar in the forest.

Heal Untamed needs a pet that can provide on-demand area stability. A boon-extension pet would be amazing, too.

With the new spears, ranger would like another pet to provide stealth to the ranger. But since smokescale already does this, I don't expect we'll get another one. Non-ranger players in PvP game modes would riot.

Another tanky pet that can hold its own in WvW zergs would be great.

We have such a wide variety of pets already that it's hard to find niches that aren't already covered.

• Like 1

Top 5 candidates for Ranger Pet (based on Anet's track record):

1. The most hideous creature you've ever seen (barely functions).

2. Another Feline pet (with lower damage and no utility).

3. Highest DPS pet in the game. Also hideous and makes extremely loud noises, and its F2 is useless on anything that isn't a boss that stands still.

4. A Raptor! Just kidding, it's another hideous Pet no one wants (and has no utility).

5. A scrapped pet from another expansion.

Please just give me an actually beautiful Pet. I'd love a magical deer or something that fits a "deep wilds" vibe. I say this on every thread that pops up, knowing it'll never happen.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bastrii.3047 said:

Please just give me an actually beautiful Pet. I'd love a magical deer or something that fits a "deep wilds" vibe.

We got a magical deer in Gazelle, it sorta looks like a deer and its magical where it will actually end up after Charge.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, Bastrii.3047 said:

3. Highest DPS pet in the game. Also hideous and makes extremely loud noises, and its F2 is useless on anything that isn't a boss that stands still.

Easily the best stun + field for more stuns. It's an awesome pet.

6 hours ago, Bastrii.3047 said:

4. A Raptor! Just kidding, it's another hideous Pet no one wants (and has no utility).

Boon corruption outside of Untamed is significant utility and it's a strong condition pet in general, up there with Iboga. I like it. I wouldn't say no to a Raptor though.

13 hours ago, Bastrii.3047 said:

5. A scrapped pet from another expansion.

Please just give me an actually beautiful Pet. I'd love a magical deer or something that fits a "deep wilds" vibe. I say this on every thread that pops up, knowing it'll never happen.

Scrapped pets might not be such a bad thing. I doubt it'd be in this expansion, but there's rumours they were considering a kirin for EoD, and that'd be your magical deer right there...

• Like 1

Although new pets it a thing to keep the class fresh i would love the old pets to have a rework so they are more inline with 2024 gw2, i really hate when i am locked and forced into one specific set of pets because the rest of them do cause more problems than actually helping. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Few things we don't have that would be cool:

1. Destroyer - Give it a big F2 burn, like a good one. Probably be a nice new pve prospect.
  2. Skelk - Give it stealth itself & ranger like the Jaguar, but give it an actual sneak attack like a Thief, for if it hits with a flank he has good damage. This would have some fun competitive potential.
  3. Dolyak - Give it an F2 that grants party stability, like a respectable usable intensity stack, say 3s stacks of stab with 6s duration. There is soooo much you could do with a pet like this, in both pve and competitive.
  4. Mushroom guys from HoT - Make his F2 just like they are in-game. It runs at someone and explodes when it touches them, putting itself into downstate instantly, but it deals damage based on how much health it has currently. If he bombs at full health, it should be big damage. Probably end up more as a competitive thing than pve, but something like this would be a fun new type of mechanic to play with.
  5. Minotaur - It's F2 should be strong charge CC that happens in a line for like 600 range, launching everything it hits along the way, and he should a stab stack when it triggers. This could see use in pve, but I'm imagining more of a wvw zerg pet that actually brings a meaningful CC to squad play.

Probably missed some other obvious selections. Feel free to pitch in the ideas.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

Snake

Venomous snakes that inflict poison and maybe bleeding, confusion, torment, fear, weakness, vulnerability.

Constrictor snakes that inflict immobilize and maybe cripple, daze, stun, torment, fear, weakness, vulnerability. 

We don’t have a pet that has slow on F2 yet. All other conditions are covered. 

quickness, alacrity, resistance, resolution, stability and vigor are boons we don’t have on F2 either. Other boons are covered

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Bast Bow.2958 said:

quickness, alacrity, resistance, resolution, stability and vigor are boons we don’t have on F2 either. Other boons are covered

Quickness and alacrity are no-goes. Those are spec specific, and heal Druid starting to provide group quickness or quickness Untamed providing group alacrity would be too strong. They also want to lower the amount of alacrity and quickness in competitive modes overall, so the pet would likely only be quickness or alacrity in pve (even if it was self/ranger quick or alac only).

Stability would be nice, mainly for group application on Untamed. Not entirely necessary but a good addition imo.

Resistance and resolution have high uptime with frost spirit. Frost spirit is a good skill, I don't think we truly need self or group applications of resistance or resolution.

Time to be pedantic- vigor is on Invigorating Bond, which activates with beast skills :3

Pets as a profession mechanic shouldn't cover everything. It's a good way to get certain utilities onto rangers without reworking skills, but just slapping boons (especially those meant to be upkept like quick/alac) isn't a good idea overall. Jungle stalker is pretty meh in the grand scheme of things considering it can't upkeep its might (and the f2 doesn't do strike damage alongside it), blue moa and red moa are awful (poor boon uptime with nothing else on the f2), and white tiger is only saved by the fact that aegis is incredibly strong (dare I say broken) and isn't meant to be upkept.

Edited by RainbowTurtle.3542
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1