Where's the Hype?

On 8/11/2024 at 12:02 AM, Ashantara.8731 said:

Legendary backpack? - Don't need another.

Legendary spear? - Don't care for two-handed terrestrial spears, but okay, will get it to complete my collection.

Homesteads? - Already decorated a whole guild hall by myself. (Looking forward to the updated decoration mechanics, though.) Also wonder if this will remain the only Homestead in the game.

Updated Warclaw for PvE? - Meh.

New raid? - Hope it is good, will definitely try it. It's the one feature that interests me at this point.

More convergences? - Blargh.

Only two new maps? - Hope they are fun to explore, at least, and feature interesting events. I don't need another Inner Nayos experience.

New story quality and scope? - I'm skeptical, to be honest.

New achievements? - Likewise.

Hype level? - Currently 1/10.

Basically this.
Only exception being that I haven't decorated a Guildhall by myself because It's just not my cup of tea. I liked decorating every now and then but found it 1) too expensive, 2) too tedious with the system at hand and 3) in the end pointless when there's nothing to do with it beside showing it to people. I know, 1) and 2) should be adressed and 3) is what it's all about for other people but again, just not for me. Instead of housing I would have far more apreciated new Elite Specs or more maps or a better story or whatever.

SotO destroyed so much trust and hope I had in this company/game it's unreal...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

I loved GW2 since the launch, and enjoyed a lot its progress until the Icebrood Saga, I remember I was hyped (specially after the ending of the season 4) but then the announcement event was a big dissapointment for me (it was basically a masked season 5) and for many other reasons I neither really liked that content as much as previous seasons and expansions.

Then EoD, "the third expansion" was announced too, I was cautious but hopeful... I didn't buy it at launch, but when I played, I also felt it wasn't as high as my expectations were. (But at least I liked more than Icebrood Saga).

After that with the Soto, officially being a smaller expansion, divided in chapters along the year, that's not a good formula for hype, I finished buying it this summer with the offer, and my suspictions were fully correct. But because I hadn't got hype or high expecations for it, I'm just enjoying it for being extra content to the global game.

With JW I feel more positive, I'm ready to get a short chapter and it won't bring as many features to be something significative for me, but I like GW2 and I'm glad they were adding content, even if it's few by few, so I will gladly explore it with my characters. But nope, I'm not hyped nor too excited, I don't know if GW2 will manage to rise those standards again.

• Like 2

To be honest, I think the game is still holding only thanks to HoT and PoF. I don't believe this team and management have what it takes to release something good and fun but I'm willing to be surprised.

I thought the second part of IBS, EoD and SotO were particularly bad. Let's see if they break the streak or if I end up giving up with GW2.

• Like 7
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

No, the point of criticism was the lack of proper content from 3/4 of the expansion's patches. I don't mind an annual expansion, relics (if they added more that make sense and will actually be used), nor the WV.

Um, I think you have completely missed the point of the thread. Perhaps re-read it?

We are discussing the number of posts pre launch for SOTO vs JW. The 3/4 of SOTO expansion patches you are criticizing didn't even exist prior to SOTO launching. Pre SOTO launch there was a lot of controversy about the annual expansion and relics which is what I was saying.

4 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

None of those are of interest for veteran players, except a new raid wing and a new weapon (if you are into two-handed spears, which I am not). Housing is redundant, we already have had decorating in the game for ages. A legendary backpack is redundant as there already have been several in the game for ages. And two new maps per a whole year don't make for much exploration unless they are of a similar scope as the bigger, more elaborate existing expansion/LW maps.

OK, so none of those are of interest to veteran players except for the things which are.

Which is what I was saying, there is a bit of something for everyone in JW.

Also, it's 3 maps per year not 2.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Hm, not sure if it would have generated much more HYPE if the announcement trailer went something like this:

EPIC VOICEACTOR with EPIC INGAME footage:

"A new threat is looming in the Northern Highlands of Tyria; prepare yourself; Hero!

Embark on a epic new quest to unravel the mysteries of the Highland Kodan Tribes! Learn from their teachings to obtain new powerful abilities that will assist you on your quest.

Though your new journey has just begun; know that you can always count on a very big hunk of fur to back you up; The Highland Warclaw!

With its Agile build and Mighty Claws; the Warclaw is able to overcome even the mightiest of Hills and the deepest of canyons. The Warclaw can call upon the Ancient Magical energies that linger in the land; allowing it to ascend to the sky in a series of Cool Air Dashes.  During confrontation the Warclaw can rely on its State of the Art Obsidian Chain Hook that can pull down Trees and Enemies Alike.

A Big Flying Kitty Cat with a kitten Chain Hook?..... YES WE CAN!

Face off against a zealous cult bend on reviving an ancient evil; one that would shake the very foundations of the World if not stopped.

For the 1st time ever in the Guildwars saga; vanquish your foes with the Might of the Land Spear; a new weapon specialization. Unleash the fury of thousand suns as the Land Spear  enhances all base skills and utilities of your chosen class; whether you are a humble warrior or a ravaging necromancer; the Land Spear is sure to thrust your battle prowess to the next level.

After a hard day of adventuring; enjoy a cool drink in your new Homestead; one of the new additions to the game and introduced in the  Janthir Wilds Expansion.

With over a thousand different building modules and a vast tool set for deep customization at your disposal; making your Ultimate Base of Operations will be like stealing a shiny from a Skritt....  No really.... it is that easy. As you progress through the Main Story; specialized modules become available; allowing for more complex constructs to be created; like Jumping puzzle's, Race tracks, and more. Unlock special recipes which allows the creation of Automated Harvesting Units, weather manipulation, and a Personal Golem butler.  Invite other heroes and Alternative Characters to your Homestead to lively up the place; watch them play mini games like Poly mock; or if you are feeling bold.... participate and beat them at their own game.

For the very brave and fearless; an new exciting Raid Zone has been discovered; the original formula has been reworked to create a truly new experience that is sure to even challenge veteran Heroes to their very limits. For the 1st time to this game mode we introduce "Gambits" as well, similar to the Queens Gauntlet Festival event. The higher the risk/ the greater the rewards. 

How far will you take your raiding adventures?

Go on Hunting Quests to obtain value Kodan Relics. Each tribe has their own Relic and Hunting Quests which can be exchanged for new armor and weapon sets that are sure to leave an impression among your fellow adventurers.

On your journey you might also encounter "Many Pockets" the traveling Kodan Shaman. In exchange for specific materials/tokens/relics; he will offer more.... exotics rewards such as magical combat tonics, Miniatures and even.... a functional Chicken costume.

Welcome!... to Janthir Wilds."

Edited by Noidea Incognito.9607
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

They said JW would only feature two new maps, as far as I recall.

You recall wrong. 

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/secrets-of-the-obscure-looking-back-and-forward/

"For our next expansion, our first two maps will be released at the expansion’s launch just as they did in SotO. However, the final map will arrive in the second quarterly update and be expanded upon in the third—meaning it will be expanded on for two total releases like Bjora Marches and Drizzlewood Coast. Not only does this give our team a bit more time to develop the third map, it also means that the story during the next expansion cycle will better leverage all three maps and take you back to familiar areas from your past adventures."

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-guild-wars-2-janthir-wilds/

"Over the course of three quarterly releases that follow the initial launch, you’ll have the opportunity to challenge new content, explore additional story in a third new map, craft a legendary spear and backpack, and obtain new Wizard’s Vault rewards, cosmetic items, relic effects, and more."

The third map will also be split into two not three as per the looking back and forward blog above

Edited by Randulf.7614
Additional contexts
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Randulf.7614 said:

You recall wrong. 

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-guild-wars-2-janthir-wilds/

"Over the course of three quarterly releases that follow the initial launch, you’ll have the opportunity to challenge new content, explore additional story in a third new map, craft a legendary spear and backpack, and obtain new Wizard’s Vault rewards, cosmetic items, relic effects, and more."

Thanks! 🙂

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

After about 8 months away from the game I randomly typed in YT GW2 Expansion. And was surprised to see that it is coming in a week.

Knowing I have plenty of story stuff to do, I jumped in the game. Was at SOTO chapter 14. Oh my. I realize why i left the game in first place.

Whatever Anet decides to do. Please keep events out of story chapters. It has been a miserable experience just farming events, that are being over-scaled due to people in area and failing them. Please please please remove the awful mechanic of filling the event bard for Story missions. It ruins the flow and enjoyment at all.

On the bright side. Despide new weapons being introduced and other balance changes. My Scourge, Virtuoso and DH have the same darn build for a year. And still pumping numbers. That is awesome, hope I can use my GS/LB build for another 3 years without any change in traits.

Cheers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I thought they'd make a supply drop to create a bit of hype. Checking the wiki it seems the last one was one week before the release. Though they still might start one next week. Still saving my gems a bit haha.

Edit: After checking ... some were in fact the week/day of the release. Others earlier. (Not later though it seems. Not all were tied to content release and I did not experience earlier ones.) Might still happen. I think it would be fun - to tie a skin or so (for deco stuff for the Homestead) to it - amongst some other stuff I usually would not buy standalone in the store. (keys, wardrobe unlocks, etc.) I have mentioned in the last thread about the previous one that it is not worth that much to me. But also not tooo bad and I like to recevie the things weekly.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 1

Not sure if the new news has a own thread (most get a thread) - I did not see it. (Maybe I overlooked it.) That license thingy seems interesting. I wonder how it is going to work. Will this send you to kind of an own map/instance? Or (more likely) it will unlock an achievement to do stuff - to get a skin as reward at the end. (If I understood that correctly.) Instead of selling the skin direcly for Astral Acclaim. Sounds more fun - if there is more "content" to play. (While some players might prefer to get the item directly lol.)

• Like 1

Why should there be hype? I'd rather wait and see what it gives first.

After the utter meh that was SoTO, and even plenty of disappointing/annoying content before that, there's no reason to get hyped now. Only the land spears and the chance to finally explore Janthir would entice me, and given how they made even map exploration more tedious even back during HoT, that has lost its appeal as well.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

On 8/9/2024 at 5:17 AM, quake.9023 said:

there is 3.6k post related for JW 2 weeks out of release. and 15k for soto and 19k for EOD. OP has a point. its way behind on activity. there is minimal things to discuss and post about

They released tons of info about JW, not sure what you are getting at.

• Like 4

I must be in the minority because i actually liked EoD. SoTo wasnt the best for sure but it did give us overworld leggy armor , another way to get skyscale and a free skyscale skin, it also gave us new flying abilities across the world, some strikes and fractals, new weapon training, so i mean it has its good points.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Artemis.8034 said:

I must be in the minority because i actually liked EoD. SoTo wasnt the best for sure but it did give us overworld leggy armor , another way to get skyscale and a free skyscale skin, it also gave us new flying abilities across the world, some strikes and fractals, new weapon training, so i mean it has its good points.

I don’t think you are. EoD wasn’t as universally despised as the forums will lead people to believe. It just needed to do a bit more in the middle maps and I think people were still disgruntled after IBS threw the dragon story under a bus for it to be quickly ended. I spent more time in EoD than any other expac except HoT

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I don’t think you are. EoD wasn’t as universally despised as the forums will lead people to believe. It just needed to do a bit more in the middle maps and I think people were still disgruntled after IBS threw the dragon story under a bus for it to be quickly ended. I spent more time in EoD than any other expac except HoT

I don't hate EoD either and I was actually glad they finally ended that neverending dragon slugfest. But I did leave EoD alone within a couple of months after release. I didn't like fishing and I didn't care for the Gen3 weapons aesthetic so I had no reason to stay there. And EoD did feel empty, not of players but especially Kaineng and Dragon's End are just mostly empty maps.

Recently I did come back to EoD simply because Gen3 weapons now cost the same to craft as Gen1 weapons (not counting the ones that you get in a legendary starter kit). So to me it's a nice change of scenery. I never hated EoD, there was just not enough reason to go back there until recently. One thing I don't like about EoD is the bandit/pirate/gang theme that permeated the first 3 maps. I would've much preferred them to go a different way with Echovald. Oh yeah, that and the lackluster masteries. In short, it could've been better but I certainly don't hate EoD.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I also wonder what the mastery icon color will be. JW seems to have a blue-ish color in the logo. But with IBS and EoD already looking similar they probably (hopefully) won't use another variant of blue.

Also let's see how the ancient/unusual coins swap will change the amount of people going for legendaries. Did not seem to hard to gather such coins  in SotO and farming them in EoD seems harder actually. I think. Lol. But there might be people having farmed (pre-SotO) a lot of them in EoD and now after JW release they will (if I understood the sytsem correctly) change "unusual" ones to "ancient" ones. Making the old recipes (including legendary stuff from SotO) use ancient ones.

And adding "unusual" ones to JW. (+ one map currency each map). So no new/other overall currency (for all expansoin maps) but instead re-using that coins currency system. (Similar thing for shards from strikes.)

I wonder if we ever get maps that use a key-type of currency (to open containers) again.

I will not play a lot in the release week. (Busy week for me - as well as the week 2 weeks later.) Trying to do a lit in the week following it. (I still try to max my time playing ... staying awake long. If possible. Temperatures are a bit lower - according to the weather forecast. So I hopefully am not too tired all day cause of heat lol.)

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

You need this level of HYPE!!

Can I get a serious answer? Is invisioncic.com the new imgur to be able to embed screens in this forum? I can't find it to have any working service. Or can we simply copy&paste images from our clipboard into a post?

• Confused 5