Idea: Allow Gift of Battle and Gift of Exploration to be traded for each other.

On 8/18/2024 at 6:57 PM, HeliosMagi.9867 said:

2 GoBs = 1 GoE. PvE players have been begging for an alternative way to earn the Gift of Battle for years, and many players, WvW mains included, find Core map completion to be extremely tedious (seriously, 300 Renown Hearts!?) I think a really good compromise would be to allow the two Gifts to be exchanged, so if you really hate one or the other you have the option of just doing more of whichever you find more tolerable.

I think we missed part of the question here. What is the GoB needed for here. Weapons or armor?

1 hour ago, LadyRhonwyn.2501 said:

There's one thing I never understood...  WvW players are always complaining about the uselessness of PvE players.  But they're also against any method that would stop those players joining...

WvW players are like all players. Complaining about something is a thing. PvE players are an easy scapegoat versus a WvW player thinking, maybe the issue was my buildout versus theirs. So, yes its a thing, but it is also not.

This is great idea but it's not gonna happen. Most people don't want to go through the torture of 100% world completion more than once. WvW on the other side is relatively fun. So amounts of people with huge stockpiles of unused gifts of battle are significant. If you allowed to trade them, people would suddenly start crafting a lot more legendary weapons, which would hit ANet's earning significantly, as Trading Post legendaries are one of the main source of the income. Many people just buy legendaries off of the TP to avoid the world completion torture. 

• Like 1

ANET would be unlikely to even give this a thought because GoE, being necessary for leggies mean players need to make alts for more GoE's, which means $$$ unless your prepared to keep re-rerolling a throw away toon. Add to that you gunna need the relevant toons to open up the use of various weapons etc so ANET wont kill off a primary source of income just to  appease players unwillingness to do map completion.

4 hours ago, Bloodstealer.5978 said:

ANET would be unlikely to even give this a thought because GoE, being necessary for leggies mean players need to make alts for more GoE's, which means $$$ unless your prepared to keep re-rerolling a throw away toon. Add to that you gunna need the relevant toons to open up the use of various weapons etc so ANET wont kill off a primary source of income just to  appease players unwillingness to do map completion.

If somebody has 1 toon slot open, they can just recycle the slot since GoE takes commitment anyway, u dont just flit about and make another.
And an altaholic will buy toon slots regardless, I do not believe GoE plays a major role in Toon Slot sales.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MercurialKuroSludge.8974 said:

If somebody has 1 toon slot open, they can just recycle the slot since GoE takes commitment anyway, u dont just flit about and make another.
And an altaholic will buy toon slots regardless, I do not believe GoE plays a major role in Toon Slot sales.

Pretty sure that what I said... players will keep re-rolling toons, but that means they never progress the toon and therefore if they want more leggies there will be a need to actually have more toons.. not every class can play every weapon - yet.

3 hours ago, Bloodstealer.5978 said:

Pretty sure that what I said... players will keep re-rolling toons, but that means they never progress the toon and therefore if they want more leggies there will be a need to actually have more toons.. not every class can play every weapon - yet.

I said the opposite tho.
You said somebody will start a toon then give up halfway, and rather make another toon so they can complete more GoEs...which is weird becuz they aren't getting ANY GoE if they never finish.

But I don't believe this kinda in-between behavior is the norm.
I believe most ppl are either too lazy to finish the GoE for toons they alrdy have, like me and most other players, until we REALLY, really want GoE.
Or they are altaholics who legit make more toons becuz they can and want to, regardless of GoE anyway.
Of the 3 types of players, Anet makes the most toon sales off the 3rd type, and this has basically nothing to do with GoE.

On 8/20/2024 at 8:54 PM, SpaceMarine.1836 said:

This is great idea but it's not gonna happen. Most people don't want to go through the torture of 100% world completion more than once. WvW on the other side is relatively fun.

No, you might find WvW relatively fun. I hate it. With a passion. And I've done at least 13 map completions. And planning to do way more.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/20/2024 at 11:27 AM, TheGrimm.5624 said:

I think we missed part of the question here. What is the GoB needed for here. Weapons or armor?

All Legendary Weapons, as well as Vision, Aurora, Transcendence, and Conflux. Vision and Aurora are particularly a sticking point for a lot of players, as they're otherwise obtained fully from solo PvE content.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Bloodstealer.5978 said:

I'm not sure if that's a practical issue for most players.

If you have one toon per class (9 characters), that's 18 GoEs. I don't think many players have 18 gen 1  legendaries, and even if they do, there's only 19 types of weapons.  Furthermore, said characters could do expansion map completions.

There are of course some builds that demand duplicates of the same weapons, but this is super niche territory. Or maybe people just make legendaries to sell, but again, pretty niche.

Regardless, buying character slots for the sole purpose of map compleition doesn't seem to make much sense. Even if we buy them at half off (~150 gold)  that eats so heavily into any potential profit/savings that just buying it would probably be more time efficient, especially for someone that's even considering their 10+th legendary and considering a character slot purchase.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, HeliosMagi.9867 said:

All Legendary Weapons, as well as Vision, Aurora, Transcendence, and Conflux. Vision and Aurora are particularly a sticking point for a lot of players, as they're otherwise obtained fully from solo PvE content.

But all of those require a ton of PvE time versus what 8 hours of WvW time?  I think it took something like 80+ hours to get the amulet. If they aren't worth a 1v10 factor in time, are they really needed? 

Edited by TheGrimm.5624

3 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

But all of those require a ton of PvE time versus what 8 hours of WvW time?  I think it took something like 80+ hours to get the amulet. If they aren't worth a 1v10 factor in time, are they really needed? 

8 hours in WvW is neverending...

Problem with 8 hours is, that it's not 8 hours.  Maybe if you manage to play a longer amount of time each time, but if you only have 10 minutes here and 15 minutes there, WvW is very time demanding (as you only get progress to the reward every 5 minutes, and if you're unlucky you also lose progress because you keep getting killed. Learn to play is not valid as I don't want to learn how to play PvP)

• Confused 1

I am all for a Gift exchange at the Mystic Forge Attendant.

1 GoB for 1 GoE and vice versa.

1 GoB for 1 GoCantha and vice versa.

1GoB for 1 GoMaguuma and vice versa.

1 GoB for 1 GotDesert and vice versa.

And so forth for any expac gift. I would be okay if it is 2 GoBs for any one gift, or any of 2 gifts for 1 GoB.

Make it so that only one trade a week can happen per exchange to stop people who have a horde of any such gift from creating a glut on the market. 

• Confused 1

More reasonable ratio would be 20 GoB for 1 GoE and 1 GoE for 5 GoB. People would still happily do it. Would have 10 legendary weapons in no time.

Still think this is terrible idea because only valuable thing in WvW economy are legendary weapons.

Edited by Riba.3271

1 minute ago, Riba.3271 said:

More reasonable ratio would be 20 GoB for 1 GoE and 1 GoE for 5 GoB. People would still happily do it. Would have 10 legendary weapons in no time.

GoE can be sped run in less than 8 hours and two are attained. 2 GoBs can be earned in that same time. A 1 to 1 trade with a weekly limit on the trade would be a more balanced approach.

3 hours ago, LadyRhonwyn.2501 said:

8 hours in WvW is neverending...

Problem with 8 hours is, that it's not 8 hours.  Maybe if you manage to play a longer amount of time each time, but if you only have 10 minutes here and 15 minutes there, WvW is very time demanding (as you only get progress to the reward every 5 minutes, and if you're unlucky you also lose progress because you keep getting killed. Learn to play is not valid as I don't want to learn how to play PvP)

The same is true in PvE and even longer since it requires more time though so not sure that is a factor in the conversation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

I am all for a Gift exchange at the Mystic Forge Attendant.

1 GoB for 1 GoE and vice versa.

1 GoB for 1 GoCantha and vice versa.

1GoB for 1 GoMaguuma and vice versa.

1 GoB for 1 GotDesert and vice versa.

And so forth for any expac gift. I would be okay if it is 2 GoBs for any one gift, or any of 2 gifts for 1 GoB.

Make it so that only one trade a week can happen per exchange to stop people who have a horde of any such gift from creating a glut on the market. 

1 to 1 would potentially impact the economy for some legendries. Plus there should be a convivence factor in play here as there is for the TP transactions, but applied in both directions. That's before the fact that the WvW is faster than the PvE gifts. These are again an endgame goal. Once you have it you are done after all.  

15 minutes ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

1 to 1 would potentially impact the economy for some legendries. Plus there should be a convivence factor in play here as there is for the TP transactions, but applied in both directions. That's before the fact that the WvW is faster than the PvE gifts. These are again an endgame goal. Once you have it you are done after all.  

Yeah, which is why I suggested a weekly trade limit, so as to limit the impact on the legendary economy.

2 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

GoE can be sped run in less than 8 hours and two are attained. 2 GoBs can be earned in that same time. A 1 to 1 trade with a weekly limit on the trade would be a more balanced approach.

Every heart you do in PvE is 1 lost braincell. You have many brain cells, but it does stack up when you do it multiple times.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Riba.3271 said:

Every heart you do in PvE is 1 lost braincell. You have many brain cells, but it does stack up when you do it multiple times.

You have 80+ billions of them, it'll be fine. 

A couple of billions are probably already lost watching thieves "fight".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Those with in-game wealth are already doing that.  Constantly buying out certain items and relisting them at higher prices/limiting the supply.  Making an exchange available wouldn't be bad depending on implementation, but, I would rather see them let players just sell them on the trading post or give them away to the needy.  I have like 2 stacks of GoB, I would love to do giveaways just doing fun things like trivia, scavenger hunts, whatever.

57 minutes ago, MedievalThings.5417 said:

Those with in-game wealth are already doing that.  Constantly buying out certain items and relisting them at higher prices/limiting the supply.  Making an exchange available wouldn't be bad depending on implementation, but, I would rather see them let players just sell them on the trading post or give them away to the needy.  I have like 2 stacks of GoB, I would love to do giveaways just doing fun things like trivia, scavenger hunts, whatever.

I had posted in the past about allowing them to TP'd but the more I looked at how many I had as well, I think they would become junk loot value pretty fast. You don't want a 'gift' level of an item to become junk loot, leaves a bad game feel for the time spent. 

13 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

The same is true in PvE and even longer since it requires more time though so not sure that is a factor in the conversation.

Yes, and that's why an exchange between them (not removing the accountbound, but a NPC merchant) would make sense. So that people that like to play the game, actually get to play the game they like. Instead of being forced to play something they don't like, just to get a tiny part of an item they want.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1