A Rant About Homesteads (some spoilers)

Initial impression on Homesteads: Good, but come on!!!!

I want to build my homestead. That was a big reason why I purchased the expansion. What kind of system requires you to pick up 5-15 honey flowers or whatever before you can build a BED? It is already egregious enough the amount of raw materials it takes. The whole thing is lame and just busy work. I want to have fun, not fish for materials longer than I'm building. (BTW, many of the decorations require this item, and the new wood.) If you don't really want me to have fun, and instead go on a scavenger hunt for these things whenever I need to build something, then just say so upfront. "You can build, BUT you need to spend longer collecting these new items which are a bit rare in the map. Built the wrong thing? Oops, back to scavenging! Have fun building!"

Also, why the hell are we being time gated from buying homestead materials? Why? It's already going to take a while. (I mean, I know why...padding the run time, etc., but really!?)

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 14
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

It's bad. It takes about 100 flowers to craft ten decorations...wtf! I want to know what was the reason that went behind this. Plus you are forced to collect flowers and then forced to spend them on a decoration during the tutorial...no refund! It took me about 15-20 min to pick up 15 flowers. Making the decoration and putting it up takes like 2 mins.

Ugh...this really to took the wind out my sails when it came to decorating.

Edited by Logos.5603
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

I have over 200 flower things and I wasn't intentionally collecting them, just harvesting them when it's in event location or near mastery points etc cuz it's new material type so why not...

Seems like non issue, just farm for half an hour for full mat storage, what's the problem?

Like srsl, these honey things are everywhere, do map completion u rake stack of them without even going of side and just flying in straight lines in between interest points.

Costs might be high for hardcore decorators and rp'ers I guess?? But from what I can see they are abundant

Edited by Triptaminas.4789
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 11

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Triptaminas.4789 said:

I have over 200 flower things and I wasn't intentionally collecting them, just harvesting them when it's in event location or near mastery points etc cuz it's new material type so why not...

Seems like non issue, just farm for half an hour for full mat storage, what's the problem?

Like srsl, these honey things are everywhere, do map completion u rake stack of them without even going of side and just flying in straight lines in between interest points.

Costs might be high for hardcore decorators and rp'ers I guess?? But from what I can see they are abundant

LOL. Yea, no way it took you half-hour.

A) They are not as abundant as other materials.

B) I timed myself picking them up and it takes avg1 min per flower intentionally searching for them (using a combination of mounts for speed). This is in part because some are surrounded by creatures. No way you can collect 200 in 30 mins. Maybe 30-40 (enough for 3-4 decorations). Plus the maps don't have enough of the material for you to collect 250 of them anyways.

C) 250 flowers only give you enough for like 20-25 decorations anyways...and given that you can't look at the decoration prior to building them, you might not like what you craft.

Part of the issue is that it discourages experimentation. If every time I want to try something new I need to spend 1 hour fetching flowers for silly stuff like a bed, chair, or torch(!)...I just won't experiment.

Edited by Logos.5603
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

Just now, Mysty Meadows.1425 said:

Try guild hall deco. To make the Springer rental, you need 25,000 snowflakes.

I did...hated it too. Homestead is better than Guild Hall in terms of materials, but it needed to be way better.

LOL. You need like 5+ flowers to craft a torch!

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

"Decorations can't be insta build in quantities of stacks and I hate that" - the thread 

Like srsl, I'm not into decorations myself, not my vibe, but as far as these honey flowers go I just couldn't resist commenting

I have 200+ of them that's for sure, I didn't stopped once because of them, I picked them only while doing other stuff and them being in seconds distance from me or whatever. 

Idk might be all boosters and banners  and bounty thing on harvest tools etc etc inflating numbers from baseline count that node drops, but from my pov it's non issue, the nodes is more abundant than any other resource node I seen in this game.  Idk what u expected tho, maybe that u can craft everything with 0 costs or smtg so it's a shocker that builds will take time and dedication, idfk. But complaining about those white name spam tier flowers is just silly, chose other resource and remake thread.

I have to add that I played from launch time till basically now, so it was more than few honey nodes along the way, still, I can't see how those things can be issue if u into crafting and actually seeking the honey flowers.

Edited by Triptaminas.4789
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Triptaminas.4789 said:

"Decorations can't be insta build in quantities of stacks and I hate that" - the thread 

Like srsl, I'm not into decorations myself, not my vibe, but as far as these honey flowers go I just couldn't resist commenting

I have 200+ of them that's for sure, I didn't stopped once because of them, I picked them only while doing other stuff and them being in seconds distance from me or whatever. 

Idk might be all boosters and banners  and bounty thing on harvest tools etc etc inflating numbers from baseline count that node drops, but from my pov it's non issue, the nodes is more abundant than any other resource node I seen in this game.  Idk what u expected tho, maybe that u can craft everything with 0 costs or smtg so it's a shocker that builds will take time and dedication, idfk. But complaining about those white name spam tier flowers is just silly, chose other resource and remake thread.

I have to add that I played from launch time till basically now, so it was more than few honey nodes along the way, still, I can't see how those things can be issue if u into crafting and actually seeking the honey flowers.

Yea, stop strawmanning. You literally took the worst conclusion that could follow from what I was saying.

A charitable position would've been to assume that I'm arguing for a better balance of materials to decorations since it isn't really fun having to collect 15 flowers for a bed. Incidentally, this is my position.

Further, from the fact that its always been like that for X, Y, or Z novelty or crafting thingy doesn't follow that that was the best balancing of materials to crafting (or more fun).

I've also played for 11 years. It's always irritating having to go fish for materials in such bulk quantities (I think this is the result of a lack of innovation and creativity from the developers, but whatever).

"I can't see how those things can be issue if u into crafting and actually seeking the honey flowers."

Trans: Can't see how you don't like the unfun aspect of crafting if you like crafting. Well, maybe because we like the crafting part, and not the chore of collecting so many materials. I don't see how liking one means you have to like the other. There is no entailment here. Further, I don't like crafting because it is crafting. I like it because I get to decorate something with the things that I craft. I wish that it wasn't such a chore like most fetch X things in this game. BTW, I also collected thousands of the other materials needed for the decorations (wood, metal, etc.), so I'm not a stranger to collecting materials.

"Decorations take too much time and effort to build, taking the fun out of the homestead" - the thread

Just went back to the first map to double-check how long it really takes...results: 22 flowers-18ish minutes. This was after scouring most of the map for flowers. That's enough for two maybe three decorations.

Edited by Logos.5603
  • Like 3
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Logos.5603 said:

Yea, stop strawmanning. You literally took the worst conclusion that could follow from what I was saying.

A charitable position would've been to assume that I'm arguing for a better balance of materials to decorations since it isn't really fun having to collect 15 flowers for a bed. Incidentally, this is my position.

Further, from the fact that its always been like that for X, Y, or Z novelty or crafting thingy doesn't follow that that was the best balancing of materials to crafting (or more fun).

I've also played for 11 years. It's always irritating having to go fish for materials in such bulk quantities (I think this is the result of a lack of innovation and creativity from the developers, but whatever).

"I can't see how those things can be issue if u into crafting and actually seeking the honey flowers."

Trans: Can't see how you don't like the unfun aspect of crafting if you like crafting. Well, maybe because we like the crafting part, and not the chore of collecting so many materials. I don't see how liking one means you have to like the other. There is no entailment here. Further, I don't like crafting because it is crafting. I like it because I get to decorate something with the things that I craft. I wish that it wasn't such a chore like most fetch X things in this game. BTW, I also collected thousands of the other materials needed for the decorations (wood, metal, etc.), so I'm not a stranger to collecting materials.

"Decorations take too much time and effort to build, taking the fun out of the homestead" - the thread

I was asked once what I was doing in game by those in my guild. I answered "Going broke at light speed" they asked "Ecto gambling?" I replied "No, some call it crafting". The death blow of Janthir for me was hearing you must learn a new crafting profession. I have all crafters including scribe. But they want me to learn yet another crafting prof. No thanks. I know the difference between rain water and something else.  I have played guild wars since gw1 launched, and since GW2 was in open beta. I am 66, I am not going to jump through all these mindless hoops they call content. I will play on their dime until the lights go out (Theirs or mine). I stay for the community in game. I used to say Anet gets more right, than they do wrong. But lately, I just don't know what is going on. Sad. Truly sad.

• Like 8
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Mysty Meadows.1425 said:

I was asked once what I was doing in game by those in my guild. I answered "Going broke at light speed" they asked "Ecto gambling?" I replied "No, some call it crafting". The death blow of Janthir for me was hearing you must learn a new crafting profession. I have all crafters including scribe. But they want me to learn yet another crafting prof. No thanks. I know the difference between rain water and something else.  I have played guild wars since gw1 launched, and since GW2 was in open beta. I am 66, I am not going to jump through all these mindless hoops they call content. I will play on their dime until the lights go out (Theirs or mine). I stay for the community in game. I used to say Anet gets more right, than they do wrong. But lately, I just don't know what is going on. Sad. Truly sad.

Well this time you have to complete a mastery rather than train a crafting skill. I think this is slightly better than training the skill. But, the barriers they put in front of fun baffles me.

Edited by Logos.5603
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Just now, Logos.5603 said:

Well this time you have to complete a mastery rather than train a crafting skill. I think this is slightly better than training the skill, I think. But, the barriers they put in front of fun is something baffling to me.

I mean, I find it fun.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Logos.5603 said:

Correction.

I find the mastery kinda fun (because you have to kill things and complete quests)...the searching for the flowers...not at all.

I found htem all over the western side of the map. Maybe not hundreds, but I def got a good 15-20 with just noticing and harvesting them.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Logos.5603 said:

Well this time you have to complete a mastery rather than train a crafting skill. I think this is slightly better than training the skill, I think. But, the barriers they put in front of fun is something baffling to me.

EOD felt rushed and unfinished. SOTO was beautiful, but a bug fest. Again it felt rushed. I feel bad for the devs. As a programmer I know what it means to pour hours into your work. They have to do as they are told. It can be soul crushing to put out sub standard work. To them I say thank you for trying. To those making decisions, pay attention to us. Oh we are not players. We are CUSTOMERS. Keep that in mind.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Neathra.1950 said:

I found htem all over the western side of the map. Maybe not hundreds, but I def got a good 15-20 with just noticing and harvesting them.

Yea, I just talked about this...that takes about 15-20 min just to be able to craft 2 decorations. Lame.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Soo... housing decorations require materials players can gather. Is that supposed to be bad or somehow unexpected?

I'll sell you mine btw, just open trading post.

Did you read what has been posted, or just skimmed?

Unexpected, no. Bad...well it depends. If I told you that in order to craft 4 chairs you needed 100 flower (2+ hours of fetching)...I would say that excessive, and not fun. That's the point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

3 hours ago, Mysty Meadows.1425 said:

Try guild hall deco. To make the Springer rental, you need 25,000 snowflakes.

People were asking for guild hall decoration system overhaul for years. And that was even after Anet did some thweaking to it early on. The prices are one thing (some decoration cost is truly ridiculous), but the heavily nested and unnecessarily convoluted crafting trees aren't any better.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

While I get the disappointment for some, isn't this the case for most housing systems in other games as well? You need materials and currency to be able to buy/craft things?

Yes, because it's new you don't have many of the materials yet. It's only logical.

Though I do agree that most of the recipes could be a bit adjusted when it comes to how much of the new materials they need. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Mystflower.7319 said:

While I get the disappointment for some, isn't this the case for most housing systems in other games as well? You need materials and currency to be able to buy/craft things?

Yes, because it's new you don't have many of the materials yet. It's only logical.

Though I do agree that most of the recipes could be a bit adjusted when it comes to how much of the new materials they need. 

FFXIV, while housing is difficult to have, you have no timegate on the resources to craft/decorate.

ESO, same. There's none of that.

It's just here.

• Confused 4

9 hours ago, Logos.5603 said:

What kind of system requires you to pick up 5-15 honey flowers or whatever before you can build a BED?

Spoiler

Because you're crafting a bed cover with a specific pattern to honor the memory of someone that used to live in that homestead, to dye the bed cover you need that flower.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1