I identify as Commander

2 hours ago, Noidea Incognito.9607 said:

If they start changing title's; they could at least have given players a "Commander" title in remembrance. 

They changed our titles every two days in the beginning. And we don't have wearable ones, tho I would have always liked that (I think there was one from among them, once). 

Then they stopped changing. We just had one title forever even when it didn't really fit anymore.

Then we got a new title from people our character seems chummy with but the player themselves might not feel chummy to. 

3 hours ago, Zenith.7301 said:

Commander sounds too militaristic.

I agree.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Adngel.9786 said:

I'm missing something, when do that question happens?

Because I remember at the begining of Janthir Wilds, before enter to the portal to the Moon Camp. Countess Anise ask my character if prefer Commander or Wayfinder, and my character said Commander, so Anise joked about the old habbits. Yesterday I played with a 2nd character, and the dialogue was similar.

Are you refering to the same dialogue? Has it got an alternative version where the hero asks to be called "Wayfinder"?

The different factions call us different names. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I wish they wouldn't do the cartoon flip flop dialog back and forward between titles, it's like every character has the emotional maturity of an anxty pre teen.

They could just have different characters call you by different titles without making a fuss about it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

I wish they wouldn't do the cartoon flip flop dialog back and forward between titles, it's like every character has the emotional maturity of an anxty pre teen.

They could just have different characters call you by different titles without making a fuss about it.

I’m fine with different characters referring to us differently, but when our character is asked about their preferance, and they answer without our input, that was the most disconnected and unimmersed I’ve felt towards our character for 12 years 😞

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Justi.6243 said:

when our character is asked about their preferance, and they answer without our input

That right there is the real problem. That dialogue should never have existed, if the question was going to be asked without the player having any input to the response.

ANet, fix that line so you're not pretending to offer us the choice, when said choice clearly doesn't exist.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Justi.6243 said:

that was the most disconnected and unimmersed I’ve felt towards our character for 12 years 😞

Imagine me having to put up joining an order which alright, not egregiously bad, but then having to command a pact of characters I didn't like, then having to put up with Taimi, then having to pass the trials because Anise says so, then having to go kill Balthazar so he wouldn't kill Karlky because we couldn't kill any more dragons only for us to immediately kill Karlky followed by killing 2 for 1 dragons only to immediately go for the hexa championship on the last dragon just to be forced into the lame club of wizardry, not even cool original trilogy Gandalf wizard...

And now I get to be bossed around by The Tyrian Alliance of [censored][censored][censored].

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

Imagine me having to put up joining an order which alright, not egregiously bad, but then having to command a pact of characters I didn't like, then having to put up with Taimi, then having to pass the trials because Anise says so, then having to go kill Balthazar so he wouldn't kill Karlky because we couldn't kill any more dragons only for us to immediately kill Karlky followed by killing 2 for 1 dragons only to immediately go for the hexa championship on the last dragon just to be forced into the lame club of wizardry, not even cool original trilogy Gandalf wizard...

And now I get to be bossed around by The Tyrian Alliance of [censored][censored][censored].

That’s rough buddy 😕

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

Certainly Taimi is a good reason to break all association with the Pact. Actually Asura in general are extremely irritating; It’s such a trope to make the most technologically advanced race the most insufferable as well. Plenty of better ways that combination of traits could have been handled. Had we been given more control over Pact affairs, I’d have kicked everyone out with the exception of Canuck, Rytlock and Rox.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Since the name everyone calls us has always been some title or another based on where we were in the story I don't mind getting a new "name" now that the dragons are behind us.
That said, my impression is that our title always made some amount of sense and was always earned by doing something big relative to our level. Slaying Issormir, earning the Snaff Prize, rising through the ranks in our Order, assisting in creating the Pact. Now we're called Wayfinder because we stumbled through a rift? Without reading a lore book we aren't even told why the Ward calls us that, and even that book doesn't explain what the name is supposed to mean. 

As far as Commander sounding too overtly military for an adventurer, in the story we are constantly at war. We led an army against each dragon, led an army against Balthazar, led an army against Joko, joined an army against Bangar, joined Peitha's army. When was the last time the story sent us freewheeling on some lighthearted adventure away from organized warfare?

• Like 1

Why is it suddenly an issue we are not called Commander?
Characters have been referring to us with names/nicknames other than Commander from like the end of the Personal Story. 2017-2019 we were Outlander/Hero of Amnoon, or Champion, in EoD we were often not Commander. Why is it an issue now?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Why is it suddenly an issue we are not called Commander?
Characters have been referring to us with names/nicknames other than Commander from like the end of the Personal Story. 2017-2019 we were Outlander/Hero of Amnoon, or Champion, in EoD we were often not Commander. Why is it an issue now?

I don’t mind what the npc’s call us, what I have an issue with, is when our character is presented with the option to express their preferance in reguards to wayfinder vs commander, they go with wayfinder without our input.

This breaks my connection with my character, because in my mind, it’s not even close, the commander title, for me, is wayyy more personal and meaningful, than the wayfinder title.

None of this has to have any impact on how they decide to voiceact or write the expansion, as others have said, we could for example have stated our preferance, and the kodans could then refer to us however they liked, as the different factions have done theoughout the expansions, outlander, commander, champion etc.

In this expansion we could for example be “Emmisary” for the astral ward, and the united Tyrian factions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3