Having to constantly open boxes/bags is making me want to stop playing

I play multiple game modes so I get lots of different loot boxes/bags.

I'm tired of having to open them manually and really disappointed that we haven't gotten any feature like the Copper fed salvage-o-matic for this task.

That item literally makes something boring into something satisfying to watch.

Anybody has any tips or tricks to deal with this? If not I'm probably gonna end up switching to another game even tho I like GW2 a lot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 13

2 minutes ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

Pile up the boxes, right click open them once a month.

I've tried that, but even doing that there's lots of different boxes... I understand that they want to sell inventory space, but I'm burnt out of clicking crap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8

9 minutes ago, Neluv.5789 said:

they want to sell inventory space

If they wanted to sell inventory space they wouldn't box the stuff...

At any given time I have 8 stacks of green unidentified gear piling up on an invisible bag, just split them 1 per slot 8 total and the thing will fill them up over time, when it does I deal with it, if they didn't come boxed I couldn't do that.

I have a character who's whole inventory is stacked with dozens and dozens of different boxes, anything that has a multiple choice goes in there until I need it.

I really don't get what the issue is, you'd literally need more inventory is it wasn't for boxes, and you'd have to manage those items much more frequently.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Open everything, and if you don't have the appropriate infinite tools, sell the unidentified gear bags directly on the trading post instead of using them. Deposit all materials and sell the rest you're not using on the trading post. Sell rare/exotic gear on the trading post, and salvage blue/green gear that you get directly using a basic salvage kit from npcs. Sell junk to npcs and if you have white named trophy items, they are usually related to events/hearts and can be deleted.

When not sure about some account-bound material, check the wiki to see if it's part of any important/valuable crafting recipe or achievement. Most non-legendary account bound materials can be safely discarded (with a few exceptions), but with a bit of knowledge and the wiki, managing you inventory gets pretty easy and you don't need extra bag slots.

Edited by zefaistos.2601
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skub.8240 said:

It drives me nuts when I open a box and there's a bag of stuff inside. It feels like my inventory is just an endless tide of boxes to open sometimes.

Would you rather open a box and receive 25 random pieces of gear when you have 12 inventory spaces left or would you rather get 1-3 partial stacks of unidentified gear that you can sort out later when you’ve cleared enough inventory space?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I feel like wvw is the worst offender here, reward tracks tend to give you a lot of different types of containers, which tend to contain other containers. But I also have to say that this is an incredibly low threshold for being inconvenienced, and OP probably is better off trying other games until they figure out that the games aren't the problem . . .

• Thanks 3

18 hours ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

I haven't played any other MMOs (various other ARPGs though, which always dump more loot than you can carry), so do WoW, ESO, FF, etc not give loot? What do they do different than GW2?

Play ESO without ESO+ and try to do gathering and crafting without the craftbag and you'll soon see why it's such a pain in that game.  Materials only stack to 200 and loading screens are roughly 30 seconds a piece, so have fun banking your stuff, swapping to your mule character, then withdrawing it every day.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Neluv.5789 said:

I've tried that, but even doing that there's lots of different boxes... I understand that they want to sell inventory space, but I'm burnt out of clicking crap.

How do people keep failing to understand that packing things into boxes saves them space? I keep seeing takes like yours every now and then and I don't see how that's supposed to make any sense. Here are two hypothetical options:
a) you get 3 different materials and a random green item.
b) you get a bag containing those 4 items from the previous point.
Which one takes less space and lets you keep playing the game longer without managing your inventory?

Even if there are different types of boxes (because they include different types of drops), they're still saving you inventory space. Stack the containers and mass open/sort them out later. Same goes for unid gear: they didn't add them to make it harder for the players. They added them because previously we were getting unstackable single drops of gear and that was clogging the inventories extremely fast if you weren't actively salvaging every few minutes.

tl;dr: Containers are actually a good thing and what allows you to easier play the content without constantly managing your inventory. Stack them and mass open/sort later.

Edited by Sobx.1758
"less" space
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Either would be an improvement. I'd prefer they were skipped. That's not the only problem it would create tho, many of my toons have boxes that I don't want opened right away, so I'd have to move those beforehand or risk opening them accidentally. Ofc these problems are no different from existing problems with salvage kits, and salvage kits are still generally considered convenient . . .

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Gop.8713 said:

Either would be an improvement. I'd prefer they were skipped. That's not the only problem it would create tho, many of my toons have boxes that I don't want opened right away, so I'd have to move those beforehand or risk opening them accidentally. Ofc these problems are no different from existing problems with salvage kits, and salvage kits are still generally considered convenient . . .

Invisible bags stop a salvage kit's "salvage all" don't they?  I would hope that Invisible bags would also be exempt from an "open all" command.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

They added them because previously we were getting unstackable single drops of gear and that was clogging the inventories extremely fast if you weren't actively salvaging every few minutes.

And if you didn’t have any of the unlimited salvage kits from the gem store, then you were constantly having to carry 5-6 full salavage kits with you and even then you still wouldn’t have enough to salvage everything from a single meta event… unidentified gear greatly helps out players who don’t buy gems by making it so that they don’t need carry as many salvage kits with them and they can buy the exact number they need whenever they go back to town again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Invisible bags stop a salvage kit's "salvage all" don't they?  I would hope that Invisible bags would also be exempt from an "open all" command.

So what you're saying is

2 hours ago, Gop.8713 said:

I'd have to move those beforehand or risk opening them accidentally.

I wish I'd thought of that : /

• Haha 1

If you find opening a lot of containers at once daunting it might actually help to not save them. Any time you have a moment open your inventory and open a few containers, then click the deposit materials button in case there's anything which can be cleared out.

Unless you're carrying a lot of stuff (or haven't gotten any new bags) you probably won't fill your inventory up doing that and it means you don't have to deal with all of them at once.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Panda.1967 said:

Would you rather open a box and receive 25 random pieces of gear when you have 12 inventory spaces left or would you rather get 1-3 partial stacks of unidentified gear that you can sort out later when you’ve cleared enough inventory space?

I only open my boxes at the end of whatever I'm doing after I've sold the first round of junk and cleared out space because I'm going to be getting a lot of random gear and trash, so opening boxes when you have a clogged inventory just sounds like a bad idea full stop.

On 9/5/2024 at 11:49 PM, Neluv.5789 said:

I play multiple game modes so I get lots of different loot boxes/bags.

I'm tired of having to open them manually and really disappointed that we haven't gotten any feature like the Copper fed salvage-o-matic for this task.

That item literally makes something boring into something satisfying to watch.

Anybody has any tips or tricks to deal with this? If not I'm probably gonna end up switching to another game even tho I like GW2 a lot.

dont open boxes, problem solved.

• Confused 1

I can tell some of these posters play WvW and some don't.

In WvW, for reward track you can get a lot of different boxes. They many that are labeled differently (each would be a reward for some different enemy that exists in the map of the reward track usually) which prevents stacking. But they all have similar items: some crafting mats, some unidentifieds, etc. It saves space if you open all the boxes every now and then and push "deposit all" for materials. 

Regardless, GW2 has by far the best inventory management of nearly any game I've played. 

Edited by willow.8209
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Skub.8240 said:

I only open my boxes at the end of whatever I'm doing after I've sold the first round of junk and cleared out space because I'm going to be getting a lot of random gear and trash, so opening boxes when you have a clogged inventory just sounds like a bad idea full stop.

A few nights ago I got over 250 pieces of unidentified gear from a single meta event in Maguuma Jungle… if those had been random gear instead my bag would have filled up so fast it wouldn’t even be funny. And that was from opening all the bags after finishing everything with my inventory cleared of all random junk.

58 minutes ago, Panda.1967 said:

A few nights ago I got over 250 pieces of unidentified gear from a single meta event in Maguuma Jungle… if those had been random gear instead my bag would have filled up so fast it wouldn’t even be funny. And that was from opening all the bags after finishing everything with my inventory cleared of all random junk.

I'm not sure why you're bringing up unidentified gear even, given that it wasn't even what my post was about. It's like if I said stepping on rocks hurt and you rushed in to say it'd be worse if I got hit by a car instead.

• Confused 1

On 9/6/2024 at 12:14 AM, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

I really don't get what the issue is

You found your way to deal with the issues.

That the issue exists as an issue shows itself that you have 8 piles of unid armor waiting to be filled and a character full of unopened choice boxes waiting for you to be bothered. 😉

If there wasn't any issue then you wouldn't have any work around for said issues.

• Confused 2