Veteran Prestige Rewards

jwaz.1908

Greetings gamers.

Now that GW2 is well over a decade old, and with no immediate development end in sight, I think it's time to think about some long-term prestige rewards for dedicated & veteran players. Nothing game-altering of course as we wouldn't want new players to feel bad, I'm thinking super rare mini-pets - a reward which was prestigious in GW1 (some ultra-rare minis were worth a fortune). Since birthday minis aren't a thing, my idea for specific rare collections are as follows:

• Mini Zhaitan - Rewarded for collecting all Tequatl ascended weapon skins.
  • Mini Jormag - Rewarded for collecting all Drakkar ascended weapon skins.
  • Mini Elder Dragon Aurene - Rewarded for collecting all Aurene's gift weapon skins.

You get the idea. Please feel free to share any ideas you might have for prestige rewards.

Thanks for reading.

Edit:  And rare minis could be fun to show off in a potential Polymock Arena mastery in a future mini-expac! 😄

Edited by jwaz.1908
  • Like 3
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

While I like those ideas, because I'm a big fan of rewarding collections like that, they're not exactly veteran things? Anyone can get all of those if they're just dedicated enough. Cool ideas though. Hell, toss in some stuff for rewards for doing all the dungeons/getting all the dungeon gear or something and things like that for the various old content might be cool.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gop.8713 said:

Well they have recently introduced a lot of prestige titles to pvp/wvw for exactly this purpose, and pve vets have the unique items from their bday gifts ofc. Oh, wait . . .

Titles are/can be great prestige rewards, even if a few can be acquired through apathetic methods *cough* Ceres *cough*.  I especially would love an addition to "The Emperor" title, called "The Empress" in which you have to unlock every single piece of cultural armor. However I feel variety can really spice up player's goals, and minis that actually hold some awe (let's be honest 99% of minis are meaningless, no offense) would be a great fit.  I also wish they would go back and add mini collections for each expac and LW ep (like they did with SotO, which I'm a huge fan of).

41 minutes ago, Skub.8240 said:

While I like those ideas, because I'm a big fan of rewarding collections like that, they're not exactly veteran things? Anyone can get all of those if they're just dedicated enough. Cool ideas though. Hell, toss in some stuff for rewards for doing all the dungeons/getting all the dungeon gear or something and things like that for the various old content might be cool.

I only use the term veteran since the amount of time, commitment, and dedication to achieve these goals would make you one lol 😅 And collections for unlocking every piece of dungeon gear would be sweet! Devs really should add more incentives to revisit old content, even if it's a bit scuffed, so that new players can experience it, and let's be honest after 12 years we've all but forgotten the stories.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I like the idea but examples you used would not work that well.

I think that if you want something as prestige for veterans, it should not be rng based. Imagine there are 2 players, one play for 12 years and other for one month. If they both start farming lets say Tequatl and its ascended weapons, because it is rng, the player who play one month can finish it before the actual veteran player. So it is not really veteran thing then. Also, if the veteran player is really unlucky, there is a chance he will NEVER get all skins, no matter how much he try. So you may be dedicated veteran but you may never finish it. 

I guess minis or something like glider, novelty pose, chair or maybe emote would be good as a reward.

Edited by Cernoch.8524
typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cernoch.8524 said:

There already is such a collection although it does not reward anything "prestigeous" or anything that others could see.

You're absolutely right, it's been so long I'd totally forgotten, my bad.

2 hours ago, Cernoch.8524 said:

I like the idea but examples you used would not work that well.

I think that if you want something as prestige for veterans, it should not be rng based. Imagine there are 2 players, one play for 12 years and other for one month. If they both start farming lets say Tequatl and its ascended weapons, because it is rng, the player who play one month can finish it before the actual veteran player. So it is not really veteran thing then. Also, if the veteran player is really unlucky, there is a chance he will NEVER get all skins, no matter how much he try. So you may be dedicated veteran but you may never finish it. 

I guess minis or something like glider, novelty pose, chair or maybe emote would be good as a reward.

I agree that collections based entirely on RNG could feel bad if you're unlucky. They could either make the minis trade-able like infusions, or give a small amount of tokens to combat this potentially, just a thought.

• Haha 1

I think a trophy like system for both old and new content for the homestead. Kind of the same as hall of monuments. This would do a lot of good for all parts of the game 

For example. 

Expand the wizards vault with an permanent ultimate achievement tab. With rewards for finishing the entire story, killing Soo Won, Joko, World Completion. The truly major achievements. And reward them with a unique statue for your homestead to show off. 

Edited by Cronospere.8143
  • Like 1

I don't think it's possible to make a reward that only 'veteran' players can get. The nearest is the unique items from birthday gifts, and even then someone could have bought the game in 2012, created a character and never logged in again and if they logged in today they'd get 12 years of gifts.

I suppose maybe achievement rewards. They're not time-gated of course, but it would take a lot of time and effort to get to the later ones. If you see someone with the later Radiant or Hellfire skins, or the pinnacle weapons you may not know when they started playing but you know they've gotten a long way through the game.

There are already many collections and some individual items which require a lot of time and effort to get, but that doesn't exclude newer players.

Personally I think one of the benefits of having an older account which has been played throughout the life of the game is the variety of items, abilities, skins etc. I've accumulated and having been able to space out getting them throughout that time, so collecting the stuff I wanted (almost) never felt overwhelming. I don't feel like I need a specific item to sum up everything I've done, and I can't think of anything that would do it.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Flyntlok.1584 said:

I would be happy with just removing the daily AP cap.

Ah, my own personal little hill : ) The idiocy of having an infinite reward track without an infinite means of progressing it was gw2's first flaw, I think. But don't bring it up. You'll have ppls explaining to you that it's not a reward track and 2+2 is not actually 4. Like seriously. Not kidding. It's not worth the effort . . .

11 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I don't think it's possible to make a reward that only 'veteran' players can get. The nearest is the unique items from birthday gifts, and even then someone could have bought the game in 2012, created a character and never logged in again and if they logged in today they'd get 12 years of gifts.

I suppose maybe achievement rewards. They're not time-gated of course, but it would take a lot of time and effort to get to the later ones. If you see someone with the later Radiant or Hellfire skins, or the pinnacle weapons you may not know when they started playing but you know they've gotten a long way through the game.

There are already many collections and some individual items which require a lot of time and effort to get, but that doesn't exclude newer players.

Personally I think one of the benefits of having an older account which has been played throughout the life of the game is the variety of items, abilities, skins etc. I've accumulated and having been able to space out getting them throughout that time, so collecting the stuff I wanted (almost) never felt overwhelming. I don't feel like I need a specific item to sum up everything I've done, and I can't think of anything that would do it.

To me that person who bought the game at launch and didn't log in again until today is still a vet and still deserves 'vet' rewards, while someone who bought the game some years later but has logged many more hours will have other rewards the vet has not yet achieved . . .

And I don't see the vet rewards as an attempt to sum up what's been accomplished, I see it as a tip of the hat, a little appreciation for the ppls who believed in the game before it had proven anything and have stuck around through all the ups and downs. I'm just talking about a little unique something in a bday gift after all, nothing game changing. And I say this as someone who hasn't been around that long, and wouldn't have access to those rewards until years after they were first introduced . . .

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Gop.8713 said:

To me that person who bought the game at launch and didn't log in again until today is still a vet and still deserves 'vet' rewards...

...have stuck around through all the ups and downs.

I am not sure that logging in twice in twelve years constitutes sticking around through all the ups and downs.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I don't have any colored titles and will likely never acquire one due to my playstyle (not a complaint).  That being said, it seems that if there are lots of colored titles then people will be upset that the colored titles are no longer special.  What's next?  Blinking titles for certain achievements?  Larger fonts for others?  It seems that if you dilute the "specialness" then it's no longer something special.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 10/3/2024 at 4:27 AM, jwaz.1908 said:

Edit:  And rare minion how off in a potential Polymock Arena mastery in a future mini-expac! 😄

If we combine Polymock as an expansion feature and the community create a different kind of chouses -gym in a gem contest , would be a dream .

We can create pseudo-generated whole cities , that reset every day 

With a tongle on button that when a player touches an npc and another in some other map ((while the loading screen is loading) , they try to capture-avoid be captured scenario , unknown to each other .

An rewards could be a random 0,1% box that offer every skin from every mode and gemstore , an the usual stuff is more free decorations that can be used to win the house contest 

Edit: or random chance to drop a color that you can combine with any random title you have , to be enqbled (Baitmaster!)

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2024 at 1:28 PM, Geoff Fey.1035 said:

Royal Guard Outfit nowadays is a prestige item for anyone who had an account before Aug 29, 2015

Or I suppose the Celebration Hat, though it's muddled since you could get it in 2022 as part of a giveaway.

Honestly "prestige" doesn't really mean much in this game

You're mostly right, but those actually made me miss my old account 😞

On 10/3/2024 at 11:23 PM, Gop.8713 said:

I don't mind if the reward spills over to a few outlier cases that you don't feel deserve it. It's just a token anyway . . .

I am not the one commenting on what people deserve. I also didn't raise the subject of people who logged in at launch and then not again until this week. But others are pushing the idea that some people deserve things more than do others.