favorite race to play

czerwoni.9563

I personally, enjoy the Sylvari.They are different but close enough to elves on some physical traits.They are very curious and eager to learn, yet mischievous in some ways.With HoT, there is a lot of interesting bits and pieces that made me enjoy them more, but for spoiler sake... I won't say :)As a Guild Wars 1 player, it's what sold me to buy GW2. The cut scene with the tree sprouting and the mystery and intrigue of it.

Sadly, as a GW1 player... I can never play a Charr... sorry can't forgive that race <3

The Norn, I loved them in GW1 and being honest, was the race I was planning to play when I heard about GW2; however, a lot of their uniqueness was sort of nerfed in my opinion between GW1 and GW2. Yes, you can transform into the select few of the animals; however, they are racial and are not really strong or useful... to me... that was just a turn off for the race. I remember getting the bear blessing and destroying stuff in GW1, or the wolf blessing and doing awesome stuff in the tundra. I understand why the racials are basically useless, to make it fair and what not... but it turned Norn off for me. "Hey we believe in these spirits and honor them, but they are totally useless and we never turn into the animals we honor anymore, cause you know that was a major thing for us in GW1"

Asuras, I've always hated... sorry. Little rat kittens and their egotistical kitten kitten kitten blahhh

Humans, part of the personal story just turned me off. Unknown parents, dead sister, circusWhat If i just want to be somewhat average? Has parents, no sister or doesn't want her dead, and despises the circus ._. ...With all the races, yes you have something you're forced to chose; however, with human... you're forced to chose to be gloomy."Which version of gloomy or edgy do you wish to be?" "no parents? dead sister? or not being a circus freak? "

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sylvari was okay. But I'm picking them as the best for 2 reasons.

1. For every race, the voice actors progressively got better, I'm sure we all can clearly see how bad they were, and how good they ended up getting at the end of vanilla, and especially into HOTS. But the male Sylvari really has a unique voice, with some solid emotion in it. I really appreciate the effort put into it.

2. Heart of Thorns....I never, ever, expected ANET to really put the player through what the Sylvari deal with. They went above and beyond with Mordrem whispering to you randomly, and even messing up your vision in the stories. It REALLY made me feel like I was playing a game surrounding my character, instead of just another player among millions.

@Wolfey.3407 said:Humans, part of the personal story just turned me off. Unknown parents, dead sister, circusWhat If i just want to be somewhat average? Has parents, no sister or doesn't want her dead, and despises the circus ._. ...With all the races, yes you have something you're forced to chose; however, with human... you're forced to chose to be gloomy."Which version of gloomy or edgy do you wish to be?" "no parents? dead sister? or not being a circus freak? "

In that case I'd suggest picking the dead sister option. There's no hint that there's anything special about you or your family - the story is that your sister was a Seraph soldier, her unit was ambushed by centaurs and killed, something that could happen to any soldier in Tyria.

Of course there is more to it than that, but it's about the Seraph chain of command and Krytan politics, not your characters family. And after the end of the storyline she only comes up again once (and then only in one of 3 story branches, so you may go through the whole of the rest of the game without her ever being mentioned). Personally I consider that a negative, but in this case it might work in your favour.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Wolfey.3407 said:Humans, part of the personal story just turned me off. Unknown parents, dead sister, circusWhat If i just want to be somewhat average? Has parents, no sister or doesn't want her dead, and despises the circus ._. ...With all the races, yes you have something you're forced to chose; however, with human... you're forced to chose to be gloomy."Which version of gloomy or edgy do you wish to be?" "no parents? dead sister? or not being a circus freak? "

In that case I'd suggest picking the dead sister option. There's no hint that there's anything special about you or your family - the story is that your sister was a Seraph soldier, her unit was ambushed by centaurs and killed, something that could happen to any soldier in Tyria.

Of course there is more to it than that, but it's about the Seraph chain of command and Krytan politics, not your characters family. And after the end of the storyline she only comes up again once (and then only in one of 3 story branches, so you may go through the whole of the rest of the game without her ever being mentioned). Personally I consider that a negative, but in this case it might work in your favour.

Thanks for the bit of info, i'll look into that more. :)

@Wolfey.3407 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:

Thanks for the bit of info, i'll look into that more. :)

dude this is why i picked a human necro lol

Human. I wanted to pick asura or charr, but sadly the charr armor options are too limited and asuras are too small and have most armour as gender neutral.

Sylvari could be cool, until I feel that the story is a bit too central around them.

Norn do have alot of cultural stuff that sadly needs more attention, to convince me that they are separate from humans.

Thus humans. Which have the history, armour aesthetics, and such all to their advantage. So that it becomes easier to overlook the minor issues they have.

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:Human. I wanted to pick asura or charr, but sadly the charr armor options are too limited and asuras are too small and have most armour as gender neutral.

Sylvari could be cool, until I feel that the story is a bit too central around them.

Norn do have alot of cultural stuff that sadly needs more attention, to convince me that they are separate from humans.

Thus humans. Which have the history, armour aesthetics, and such all to their advantage. So that it becomes easier to overlook the minor issues they have.

the norn are amazing culture wise, humans are cool too they ruled then lost then made alliances lol

For me, it's sylvari > charr > norn > human > asura, with the gaps getting increasingly wider, i.e. I don't even have an asura.

@Danikat.8537 said:It's a pet hate of mine when a 'beast' race has males that look like, well, beasts and females who look like humans with a slightly different skin colour and a few token differences like cute little horns or long fingernails that kind-of-sort-of pass for claws. I especially hate when a non-human race has breasts for no logical reason (looking at you Argonians).

I hear you so much. WoW's worgen are a "great" example: the men look like werewolves, the women look like broken-spined rabid chihuahua. Charr are such a great counter to that sort of thing, some of the makeover kit faces aside.

I would say Asura because the animations are so wonderful, playing Asura makes it hard to take things too seriously, and they are just fun. But, weapons shrink to nothing on them, and I didn't invest in costly skins just to have them basically disappear. Makes me sad. My Asuras are sidelined in favor of other races without this issue (which is all the rest of them).

IMO weapons should be bigger on them, oversized (proportionally) even and it would work if Greatswords and Staffs and some other weapons were hoisted up higher, as they should be- they sit so low on Asuras, it causes clipping and just looks awkward.

I remain hopeful for a fix so I can play my Asuras again.

A proud salad here.
Good majority of my toons are sylvari, my main being a male sylvari reaper. (love the VA)I have toons of other races though except for norn. Not sure why exactly, I just...dislike them. I've tried making norns in the past and I end up deleting them in favor of something else within a few days. It's been a year and a half and I still don't have the personal story achievements for norn. haha

sylvari > asura > human > charr > norn

Archived