Participation for long duels

Banzai.8064

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:Roamers should consider sPvP for their small scale fight needs.

Zerglings should learn that roamers contribute more to their server per person than any of their zergling peers individually, with the possible exception of their commander.

You're assuming my server cares about PPT.

Nope.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Banzai.8064" said:participation; nounthe action of taking part in something.

contribution; nounthe part played by a person or thing in bringing about a result or helping something to advance.

Correct, the action of dueling 1:1 for 10 minutes doesn't constitute "contributing" to your team. You get credit for successes, not draws.

I see you missed the point of what I said. If Anet wants the system to reward contribution, calling it a "participation" system is missleading.The way it is now implies that playing the wvw game mode while give you progress in the system, instead of accomplishing things in the game mode

@Banzai.8064 said:

@Banzai.8064 said:participation; nounthe action of taking part in something.

contribution; nounthe part played by a person or thing in bringing about a result or helping something to advance.

Correct, the action of dueling 1:1 for 10 minutes doesn't constitute "contributing" to your team. You get credit for successes, not draws.

I see you missed the point of what I said. If Anet wants the system to reward contribution, calling it a "participation" system is missleading.The way it is now implies that playing the wvw game mode while give you progress in the system, instead of accomplishing things in the game mode

It's only misleading if one assumes "participation" means nothing more than "showing up". The game mode is well defined as realm-vs-realm combat and includes scoring points by taking objectives. Dueling is not "playing the game mode"; it's fighting one on one (which has its own pleasures).

It's well within the common usage of participation as word to include "meaningful contribution", as in requiring more than attending school and turning in homework before giving Johnny high marks in participation on his grade school report.

Regardless of the common usage or dictionary definition, in this case, "Participation" is a technical term as used by ANet for GW2. It has a particular meaning, defined by them, and like other jargon words in the game, it doesn't have a 100% correspondence to how it might be used in the real world. ("Burning" in Tyria doesn't set other flammable objects on fire and 'breathers' don't help characters to breathe under water.)

In other words, it misses the point of "participation" as defined by GW2 to suggest that Dueling qualifies. Killing a foe earns participation, but trading blows isn't sufficient.

From anet's perspective, someone who managed to kill nothing and claim no objective for 10 minutes is not worthy of rewards. Seems perfectly logical to me.

I don't understand duelists. If you want small fights, why don't you just pvp? Virtually everything about pvp is more rewarding to a duelist than wvw. Its really hard for me to feel sorry for honorable duelists when it seems like the majority of duelists are really just gankers looking for easy kills against people playing zerg builds.

Archived