Holosmith Specialization Updates for the Path of Fire Launch

Robert Gee.9246

@Xyonon.3987 said:

@Bovan.9481 said:

@Xyonon.3987 said:

@Bovan.9481 said:Holosmith was definitely too strong in PvP and WvW, but I never got the impression it was too strong in PvE.

Afaik WvW used the PvE stats, so the lowered version unlike PvP. Tell me if I'm wrong tho ...

That's how it always used to be, but as far as I'm aware they now have the ability to split WvW and PvE as well. Even if that's not the case I didn't feel WvW was too overpowering either because of the nature of the gamemode. But I dare not say too much about WvW because I haven't spend much of my time testing outside of PvP and the first open world map of the expansion.

Yea I also believe pretty much everyone went full zerk for the beta anyway so yup - also seen some crazy Deadeye oneshots. :P We just need time to adapt and
after
that rebalance if necessary.

Yeah, absolutely. I just believe that expressing concerns early on is a positive thing. I'm sure I can speak for everyone if I say that I'm concerned it's not quite going to hit the mark, and that I wish the best for the class and really want to make it work. I am super excited to see what the sword changes are going to feel like.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A li'l disappointed there wasn't any rework to the heat benefits for the sword auto attack. Flat crit % is largely useless in harder content, so it looks like we'll just stick with rifle and bomb kit while cooling down. Unless "Retimed attacks in this sequence to flow better" makes it attack a fair bit faster, anywho, or the tooltips might've been incorrect during the stress tests (meaning 25/50% more crit damage instead of chance).

@Robert Gee.9246 said:

• Hard Light Arena: Now shares boons with allies in the arena at half duration.

Could you please clarify whether it shares all player's boons or only boons generated by this skill? If it shared all player's boons it would be finally a good useful group utility for engi that wouldn't be passive. Also is there a person cap?

@leviathan.2148 said:

• Hard Light Arena: Now shares boons with allies in the arena at half duration.

Could you please clarify whether it shares all player's boons or only boons generated by this skill? If it shared all player's boons it would be finally a good useful group utility for engi that wouldn't be passive. Also is there a person cap?

I am 99% sure that it applies the boons to non-player allies standing in the arena now.

@leviathan.2148 said:

@lorddarkflare.9186 saidI am 99% sure that it applies the boons to non-player allies standing in the arena now.

Well yeah, I'm just wondering whether it applies only boons it generates or it allows me to share i.e. 25 stacks of might I'll generate in Forge with my party.

Well that's what I am saying, I doubt it does that. That would be brand new functionality and _much _more powerful than it was before.

The other option makes a lot more sense.

Yes, there's no chance it does anything other than 1s of Fury/Protection/Regen per pulse to allies while we get 2s per pulse. Which is really awesome and more than I was hoping for when I posted in the other thread about this skill. Thanks again Robert for making this happen!

I still would like to see heat bonuses on core weapons (and >100% on Exceed skills), but I appreciate the early mini patch notes. Looking forward to the full version on Friday.

@Adamantium.3682 said:Yes, there's no chance it does anything other than 1s of Fury/Protection/Regen per pulse to allies while we get 2s per pulse. Which is really awesome and more than I was hoping for when I posted in the other thread about this skill. Thanks again Robert for making this happen!

I still would like to see heat bonuses on core weapons (and >100% on Exceed skills), but I appreciate the early mini patch notes. Looking forward to the full version on Friday.

Agreed, and even at half duration its not bad considering the skill is at a 1s interval, so as long as they stay in the area they get the boons for the full duration of the skill. Also the allies is probably 5 but it would be cool if over 50% heat it was more, but that might be asking too much.

@leviathan.2148 said:Well it would be nice if Holo could be an alternative to PS warrior with sharing might IMO. But yeah, I won't hold my breath for this.

Maybe the next elite spec, but you can't have the damage of Holo and the boonshare of PS War! Need to stay realistic :) The change to HLA is nice because it's a small bit of support that adds a bit of value, not enough to step on any toes of actual support builds.

@Adamantium.3682 said:

@leviathan.2148 said:Well it would be nice if Holo could be an alternative to PS warrior with sharing might IMO. But yeah, I won't hold my breath for this.

Maybe the next elite spec, but you can't have the damage of Holo and the boonshare of PS War! Need to stay realistic :) The change to HLA is nice because it's a small bit of support that adds a bit of value, not enough to step on any toes of actual support builds.

Well it wouldn't be that good with the halved boon duration although I guess they'd have to adjust 1s ticks to longer intervals.

@Robert Gee.9246 said:

• Crystal Configuration Storm: Fixed a bug which allowed projectiles to be fired behind you. Lowered damage by 10% when compared to normal photon forge auto attacks. Changed projectile behavior to fire in straight lines rather than hovering relative to ground height.Does that mean it uses your camera angle when you use it without a target?

So no weapons swap and editing heat to make her affect other weapons... This Spec is half done: Only three first skills from sword interact with heat, what about shield 4,5 and pistol 4,5, hum? I'm see where it's going, a sword with three skills with a skin of light saber, that is all? This spec is aethetic, maniable but not finished 100% for me. It's kinda unfair 3 skills changed when some others elite have 5 totally new skills with one weapon. Also worrying wbout the tone down change power, hope it's only for pvp, because if that the case in Pve it will be hell, prefer keep my scrapper if that!

@hugo.4705 said:So no weapons swap and editing heat to make her affect other weapons... This Spec is half done: Only three first skills from sword interact with heat, what about shield 4,5 and pistol 4,5, hum? I'm see where it's going, a sword with three skills with a skin of light saber, that is all? This spec is aethetic, maniable but not finished 100% for me. It's kinda unfair 3 skills changed when some others elite have 5 totally new skills with one weapon. Also worrying wbout the tone down change power, hope it's only for pvp, because if that the case in Pve it will be kitten, prefer keep my scrapper if that!

Any of the new specs feels unfinished. The "patches" showed, that anet doesn't care or thinks they are fine. I don't know what is worse.

You guys are making way too big of a deal over other weapons not having a heat modification. Realistically, the only things that could be added would be quite insignificant because the weapons need to stand on their own. We're talking about things like Rifle#1 gaining a short bleed on auto, Rifle#3 getting +1 bleed stack, Rifle#5 apply extra vulnerability and so forth. It's just not worth the trouble.

The only thing that needs to be balanced properly is the damage output of Photon Forge. We're giving up a couple of things to be able to get Photon Forge and we are unable to use kits during it. Personally I'm very worried whether Photon Forge lives up to the DPS loss from not being able to use other kit skills in PvE. PvP modes I'm sure it will work out just fine through the sheer utility it brings.

@Bovan.9481 said:You guys are making way too big of a deal over other weapons not having a heat modification. Realistically, the only things that could be added would be quite insignificant because the weapons need to stand on their own. We're talking about things like Rifle#1 gaining a short bleed on auto, Rifle#3 getting +1 bleed stack, Rifle#5 apply extra vulnerability and so forth. It's just not worth the trouble.

The only thing that needs to be balanced properly is the damage output of Photon Forge. We're giving up a couple of things to be able to get Photon Forge and we are unable to use kits during it. Personally I'm very worried whether Photon Forge lives up to the DPS loss from not being able to use other kit skills in PvE. PvP modes I'm sure it will work out just fine through the sheer utility it brings.

I agree somewhat. Sword itself has a less than decent damage output without any accumulated heat, which is why it has a heat mechanic (makes sense because engineers wouldn't really have finesse with swords so they use technology to enhance it.) My problem with other weapons not having heat modifications is that engineers already lack weapon swap, so dealing with people that are far away from you is a burden with sword. Sure, Mortar Kit and Grenade Kit are a thing, but then you miss out on the exceed skills that come with the new specialization. So I think heat mechanics on other weapons, even if it's only on rifle, is justified.

@Bovan.9481 said:The only thing that needs to be balanced properly is the damage output of Photon Forge. We're giving up a couple of things to be able to get Photon Forge and we are unable to use kits during it. Personally I'm very worried whether Photon Forge lives up to the DPS loss from not being able to use other kit skills in PvE. PvP modes I'm sure it will work out just fine through the sheer utility it brings.

Heya, I'm the guy who creates the Engi Spreadsheets on each patch and worry not, the Forge AA is already 25% stronger than the bomb AA. If they would have kept the PvP values for PvE, we'd have a 32k AA for Raids, which we probably all agree on would be op af. So the current Forge AA may be strong but we won't have a 100% uptime of it and sword AA being slightly lower than bomb AA, i think we're in a pretty good spot right now.

The Holo Spreadsheets will be aviable within 7 days after PoF release. :)

@Xyonon.3987 said:

Heya, I'm the guy who creates the Engi Spreadsheets on each patch and worry not, the Forge AA is already 25% stronger than the bomb AA. If they would have kept the PvP values for PvE, we'd have a 32k AA for Raids, which we probably all agree on would be op af. So the current Forge AA may be strong but we won't have a 100% uptime of it and sword AA being slightly lower than bomb AA, i think we're in a pretty good spot right now.

The Holo Spreadsheets will be aviable within 7 days after PoF release. :)

Hey how much lower is "slightly lower" by your estimation? Does sword have a longer after cast to account for? just accounting for cast times, sword looks a bit higher but I know cast times are very deceiving.

Archived