Statistics: Obsidian Weapons

Solori.6025

@Solori.6025 said:

@Blockhead Magee.3092 said:I imagine that only the folks who like to have complete collections would want anything to do with them.

based on the numbers their arent many lol23 people for the shield.23 people own the ascended WvW shield, out of a pool of over 100k

that is beyond sad.

We now know there are 23 inner clowns hiding in the game :P

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Solori.6025 said:

@Blockhead Magee.3092 said:I imagine that only the folks who like to have complete collections would want anything to do with them.

based on the numbers their arent many lol23 people for the shield.23 people own the ascended WvW shield, out of a pool of over 100k

that is beyond sad.

Unless the skins were as good as Binding of Ipos, I wouldn't spend 350 skirmish tickets on any of them. I'm saving mine for building stat-swapping armor; I don't earn enough to be able to afford anything less than an awesome skin. (And of course, these are far from what I'd consider to be awesome. I love the color-changing aspect, but not the clownish aspects.)

@XenesisII.1540 said:Wouldn't waste tickets on these, even if I was done collecting all the other stuff I needed with the tickets.

I hear you. I'd be apprehensive about spending tickets on these weapons at any point.And for the level of design quality, they're waaaaay over priced. They need to be reduced to 50 - 100 tickets max for what they look like.

@DeceiverX.8361 said:I think the fact they even change color is kind of silly to be honest.I pick weapons which match an aesthetic of the rest if my character. Not only are the models ugly, so are the colors/fact they're not consistent.

I think it is stupid too, but we have to admit that some players prefer team color to everyone. It will match the team color include his/her own outfit accordingly.

I don’t mind the color change as much as i hate that clownish art direction. It is the key reason that killing the weapon set. If the whole weapon is obsidian material instead of just blade, will greatly improve the aesthetic level by a large margin.

I got the Ascended Shield and regreted a few minutes later lol comparing the Obsidian set with the gem store stuff becomes clear that they havent put the same effort on it. I had hopes for this set, i though they would made it to match the Triumphant armor set...i honestly hope they just gave up on this ugly weapons and spend their time finishing the Mistward weapon set, even if they lost the hammer, mace and axe(lol Anet team is amazing ) they can just start from the zero, since they allready have the concept on how the weapons should look.

@Felipe.1807 said:I got the Ascended Shield and regreted a few minutes later lol comparing the Obsidian set with the gem store stuff becomes clear that they havent put the same effort on it. I had hopes for this set, i though they would made it to match the Triumphant armor set...i honestly hope they just gave up on this ugly weapons and spend their time finishing the Mistward weapon set, even if they lost the hammer, mace and axe(lol Anet team is amazing ) they can just start from the zero, since they allready have the concept on how the weapons should look.

I would love it if they would do the Forum Chat thing they planned on doing this month so I can bring this up. :open_mouth:

@Solori.6025 said:

@Felipe.1807 said:I got the Ascended Shield and regreted a few minutes later lol comparing the Obsidian set with the gem store stuff becomes clear that they havent put the same effort on it. I had hopes for this set, i though they would made it to match the Triumphant armor set...i honestly hope they just gave up on this ugly weapons and spend their time finishing the Mistward weapon set, even if they lost the hammer, mace and axe(lol Anet team is amazing ) they can just start from the zero, since they allready have the concept on how the weapons should look.

I would love it if they would do the Forum Chat thing they planned on doing this month so I can bring this up. :open_mouth:

That would be cool, but i dont think Anet will even listen...how long has been since HoT have been released? If they had any plans to bring this weapons back to life they surely would have done it at this point. Maybe the artist who made then dont want Anet to use his concept art or something, dont know how this stuff actually works, but its the only logic explanation that I can think off...that or Anet is just mega lazy or just want to piss off players who wanted this set.

@DemonSeed.3528 said:

@"saloja.7920" said:It's no surprise that "free" weapons look less thought out than the ones you need to spend real money on. Having said that, these ones are especially lower class.

Dunno man, even jotun greatsword is a ton better and that's just a karma weapon.

yeah, theres a lot weapon sets that you find on the game that looks really amazing, but is all pve...the Mistforged set is pretty decent, dont know how the quality decayed so much on the Obsidian set...if they wanted to go for this black textures and stuff is cool, but they could have just get a little of "inspiration" from the Daedric weapons from Skyrim...wouldnt be the coolest weapons on the game, but atleast you would look badass, and not a clown lol

@Felipe.1807 said:

That would be cool, but i dont think Anet will even listen...how long has been since HoT have been released? If they had any plans to bring this weapons back to life they surely would have done it at this point. Maybe the artist who made then dont want Anet to use his concept art or something, dont know how this stuff actually works, but its the only logic explanation that I can think off...that or Anet is just mega lazy or just want to kitten off players who wanted this set.

@"saloja.7920" said:It's no surprise that "free" weapons look less thought out than the ones you need to spend real money on. Having said that, these ones are especially lower class.

Dunno man, even jotun greatsword is a ton better and that's just a karma weapon.

yeah, theres a lot weapon sets that you find on the game that looks really amazing, but is all pve...the Mistforged set is pretty decent, dont know how the quality decayed so much on the Obsidian set...if they wanted to go for this black textures and stuff is cool, but they could have just get a little of "inspiration" from the Daedric weapons from Skyrim...wouldnt be the coolest weapons on the game, but atleast you would look kitten, and not a clown lol

Whenever i browsed the wardrobe and found a new good looking weapon, i searched internet and always come down to RAID.

Guess we will never get good skin from wvw and pvp.

@kash.9213 said:

@kash.9213 said:the other weapons have the best parts crowded out by the bulky trash.

This is something I have noticed about their weapon design in general. Bulky, awkward, clumsy, thick, etc. Many sets have one or two very beautifully balanced pieces, and the rest look like giant cardboard cutouts (see Lovestruck sword, which is gorgeous, and Lovestruck longbow, which looks like a piece of architecture wrenched off of a ceiling). The Obsidian weapons show this tendency off to an unfortunate extreme, but I am not really surprised by it. They seem to get a really great idea for a piece or two, and then just mash the rest together and paint them the same color.

There has to be a few disconnects along the way from concept to design to implementation because most gear in this game looks pretty bad when not with other items from their set. Using Warbeast Medium legs with Medium Glorious Chest leaves a bright glow from warbeast effect at the waist because whoever designed that set didn't care about how each piece might look without the rest of the set and didn't know we can sport anything but trench coats and heavy rags. Whoever designed these Obsidian weapons threw on a bunch of gaudy chunks of what looks like plastic or 3d printed metal similar to the slightly disconnected and extra large protruding pieces all over our Triumphant gear. If they took off all of the chunks that don't really need to be there most of that gear and these new weapons would look alright and some would look awesome.

unfortunately Anet seems hate complete gear concept, when u have finally have weapons+armor thats fit togheter then we dont have a backpiece. Sometimes i had impression that armor and weapons designers are 2 complete separate teams.

@"XenesisII.1540" said:Why would a dev answer this thread?

Either you like the weapons or you don't.Don't buy them if you don't like them.They're not some major content that's needed for wvw, there's no reason for them to rework the art.

1. I know a dev would never answer this thread. Was being facetious.
  2. Not many people are buying them, thats the point. This was advertised as a prestige weapon for both WvW and PvP, something unique for the playerbase to work towards and achieve. Similar to the unique prestige weapons of PvE raids. While I and (maybe) many others wouldn't have a problem if say 1 or 2 looks a little off or " unique" in it's own fashion. These weapons are straight up godawful. They look like they were an afterthought. This is an issue.Dev resources are spent making these unique competitive weapons and about .05% of the population has even bothered to buy one of them.I would love for major content, like actual world adjustments or new maps, unfortunately manpower is being spent on these ugly weapons and if this is what their work is putting out I would rather they either start over or just stop.

And you know they will do some AMA boasting about how they added unique weapons to WvW and then tell the community " Look we did work, you guys should be happy".Because damn the community.

They cost more than a week's worth of tickets for each, there's a bunch of other things that need tickets that are priority for players. They would have to drop the ticket prices to like 10 tickets for anyone to bother collecting the set.

I doubt the wvw devs spent much time on it other than having to implement them on the vendor, all the art and designs are different departments, I think they were basically rejected black lion weapons that were just thrown into wvw pvp areas to give some unique skins there. They're not going to spend time fixing them. Like I said either you like them or you don't, there's a lot of other terrible designs in the game, you just don't get them if you don't like them.

Don't know why people think the wvw devs do everything that gets implemented, they also don't do the balancing of the classes, they don't design art for the game, but people come in here to complain like they do.

Lastly.... good luck getting anet to talk about wvw in an AMA, seriously. They won't comment on stuff that looks bad to the community, better to just let it blow over, just like the golem event was completely ignored.

@XenesisII.1540 said:They cost more than a week's worth of tickets for each, there's a bunch of other things that need tickets that are priority for players. They would have to drop the ticket prices to like 10 tickets for anyone to bother collecting the set.

Some people yes, and some no, I finished legendary armor a few weeks ago.Their is literally nothing else I need to spend tickets on

Also disagree, these skins should be 2 gold, and not cost tickets at all.That's how bad they are

I doubt the wvw devs spent much time on it other than having to implement them on the vendor, all the art and designs are different departments, I think they were basically rejected black lion weapons that were just thrown into wvw pvp areas to give some unique skins there.

I thought this was a given, but,Anet consist of a team of people that make the game what it is. With that said, every department has a head or lead that communicates with other departments which ultimately go through the head of the studio, Someone from the Art team said- These weapons are good enough- and sent them through other leads which approved the design and ordered the implementation.That means someone, in a lead position, approved these monstrosities and basically gave the finger to the WvW players.

Don't know why people think the wvw devs do everything that gets implemented, they also don't do the balancing of the classes, they don't design art for the game, but people come in here to complain like they do.

Never did, and seeing as this is a WvW and Spvp issue I post in the designated forum sub sections. Would be weird to post a WvW issue in general when it has nothing to do with the general game.Lastly.... good luck getting anet to talk about wvw in an AMA, seriously. They won't comment on stuff that looks bad to the community, better to just let it blow over, just like the golem event was completely ignored.

Refuse to be silent and condone bad choices.This is a bad choice,.Could you imagine the state of the game if no one complained about anything in the game?Mesmer's would still have clones doing the same damage. :(

They only created the weapons set to help eat up tickets/shards because many players will/already finished the wvw/pvp legendary armor and backpack... so they rushed some weapon to shut those players up.

DO NOT SAY you have no where to spend your tickets/shards, there you are, complete the whole obsidian weapon before we talk.

I prefer to give feedback when needed and this was one of them that needed it. Being that it was already worked on and released, if they dedicated some time to this then getting feedback wouldn't hurt to improve what was already there so it wasn't an entire waste. I'd like for them to go back and rework them, and justify whatever time they spent on making the initial release, otherwise it will then truly have been a waste of time.

@"Solori.6025" said:I would love to know how many players are proudly using these weapons and showing them off

My opinion ( though it seems to be shared by a few) These weapons are trash.They look like rushed jobs that were put together to say " look we added WvW content".It's honestly a little sad how these look vs the skins you released for tickets on the same day.

The obsidian was a cool texture, but honestly I think they ultimately need to go back to the drawing board.Maybe for future WvW items, you could do a community poll on reddit and the official forums as to what style the majority of players like?Would probably be better than releasing weapons like you did and basically giving kitten to the community

They are indeed fugly. I just want the axe because it seems it might look good along Eureka for my Revenant. That's pretty much it. And i don't want the final tier of the weapons. The higher the tier the uglier the weapon seems to be, the Ornaments (spikey crown-like ornaments) on the weapons make them look like joke weapons and not the weapons that celebrate massive battles.

@"Solori.6025" said:Refuse to be silent and condone bad choices.This is a bad choice,.Could you imagine the state of the game if no one complained about anything in the game?Mesmer's would still have clones doing the same damage. :(

There's a time and place and legit issues to complain about, art on weapons that wasn't designed by the wvw team isn't one of them, sorry. Great to hear you finished everything else, not everyone else has, so could care less about another crappy looking set of weapons in a long line of crappy looking weapons and armors for a game that's suppose to be about cosmetics.

Also the wvw team isn't going to say "no" to stuff to add to wvw, "hey art team your weapon skins suck, redo them or we're telling Mo." Like I said these were most likely rejected black lion skins and they wanted to use it somewhere it wouldn't cost gems, because why waste it, if it were any good in the first place it would have been used as a black lion weapon set.

Archived