Future of tempest?

Axl.8924

@Axl.8924 said:

@Axl.8924 said:I feel like cc is a issue for tempest.

I was told i can't do much except overcharge air and use lightning for stun, and that i should dps/heal.

Right now if you get the right support you can run in the melee ball as glass or nearly glass tempest using your overloaded (mostly air) to do good dps. What is going on is scorge support realty makes all classes super tankly. Its just you need that support and its hard to make the argument to come as a tempest and get supported by the scorge when you could just come as a scorge your self and do support and dmg better over all. In a wvw settings mind you.

I don't know about wvw, i'm talking about fractals sorry i didnt' mention it.I was on the slime was talking asking for what i could do, and i didn't get a very encouraging response.I was told to not worry about the ccs because wasn't much i could do as tempest.I'm not sure how accurate this is, but i couldn't find anyone to say anything about abilities i could use to slow down cripple and otherwise stop the slimes in the tourmanova level.I was using overcharge air to stun, because stun is one of the ccs i know for sure eles have.I do feel like tempest is super slow though when charging up for a cast at times, and if enemies move around fast,like in some levels, like chaos, then it can be pretty frustrating dealing with the boss on the electrified floor.Meteor too has this channeling cd issue too.

There lighting aura no real stun on the overload it self. You may get more out of weaver in pve for dmg.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@steki.1478 said:

@"FyzE.3472" said:I'm new to ele and wvw :-)

would be one of the most forgiving staff builds for big zergs (you can change few arcane and water traits to fit your gameplay). It offers very strong damage, some minor party heals and decent aoe condi cleanses. I wouldnt suggest tempest unless you want to go full healer mode (it's pointless in any damage build nowadays, and hybrid builds with power-focused damage are completely useless) and weaver just sacrifices too much sustain for damage, which is hard to manage as a new player.

Almost all of your damage comes from fire skills (and skill 2 on other attunements, but camping fire attunement is essential for doing damage on core ele), while other attunements have role of controlling enemies (CC) or supporting allies (heals/water fields, blasts, cleanses) so try not to spam attunements all the time.

Tyvm, good sir! :-)

@Jski.6180

The largest issue with tempest is that if you don't run healing power, clunky pve elite weapon and main elite mechanic that it's interrupted easily...it's not actually elite spec...it weaker then core. No heal related traits are just garbage.

Overloads should be main target for reworks and like I said there are just horrible in pvp. They have long charge animation, if failed it puts whole attument on bigger cd. We can buff it with Harmonious Conduit but ele is the glassiest class we got in pvp and that means: even while running maruder (or soon to be removed magi) there is no issues to just burst us while charging and easily kill us - spellbraker and holo will just cleave us and ignore damage, mesmer/scourge will burst us from distance without any risk, thief will always easily interrupt us. Stability or not overloads are just bad. The only good thing is stun break part with low cooldown. Realistically speaking we will never use vs good players in 1v1 and only in team fights if nobody focus us.

I would remove charge animation- it's just bad on something such glassy as ele- Devs would have to massivly buff charge damage to actually make it worth taking Harmonious Conduit...and even so why? We will never be able to run maruder tempest if everything that works needs healing power...

If not charge animation removed - change Unstable Conduit to give aura on START of animation so we have something from failed charge ...and something extra to stop people from just cleaving us down.

@Wolfric.9380

If scourge will be not meta - there is no way tempest will be useful for anything. Healbot was meta only to babysit necro ONLY. Nobody else if they do their builds purpose should ever need addition support and in ranked you carry on getting as much kills you can get or contest at least 2 players on node...things that tempest definitely can't do and even if will try sword weaver will be always superior in that....

@Mr Godlike.6098 said:@Jski.6180

The largest issue with tempest is that if you don't run healing power, clunky pve elite weapon and main elite mechanic that it's interrupted easily...it's not actually elite spec...it weaker then core. No heal related traits are just garbage.

Overloads should be main target for reworks and like I said there are just horrible in pvp. They have long charge animation, if failed it puts whole attument on bigger cd. We can buff it with Harmonious Conduit but ele is the glassiest class we got in pvp and that means: even while running maruder (or soon to be removed magi) there is no issues to just burst us while charging and easily kill us - spellbraker and holo will just cleave us and ignore damage, mesmer/scourge will burst us from distance without any risk, thief will always easily interrupt us. Stability or not overloads are just bad. The only good thing is stun break part with low cooldown. Realistically speaking we will never use vs good players in 1v1 and only in team fights if nobody focus us.

I would remove charge animation- it's just bad on something such glassy as ele- Devs would have to massivly buff charge damage to actually make it worth taking Harmonious Conduit...and even so why? We will never be able to run maruder tempest if everything that works needs healing power...

If not charge animation removed - change Unstable Conduit to give aura on START of animation so we have something from failed charge ...and something extra to stop people from just cleaving us down.

@Wolfric.9380

If scourge will be not meta - there is no way tempest will be useful for anything. Healbot was meta only to babysit necro ONLY. Nobody else if they do their builds purpose should ever need addition support and in ranked you carry on getting as much kills you can get or contest at least 2 players on node...things that tempest definitely can't do and even if will try sword weaver will be always superior in that....

That a good point i think overloads should be very much buffed i just think they need to be more pt support aimed during and after the overload effects. At the same time tempest shout effects are a bit on the weak side when at best you can add on aoe might and aoe weakness its weaker then having a rune set effect. And the last thing is tempest WH needs a much better GM boon duration + for having a WH dose not cut it in a lot of ways it weaker then simply running arcain line effects that also gives boon duration.

I 100% agree.I'm playing ele in fractals and while doing the bloomfang boss fight, i had so much trouble landing a hit witht he channeling effect and taking damage while casting meteor and overload lightning.I feel like these effects should be shortened enough, and maybe the lightning field and buff last a bit longer to get the benefit out of it.Currently, its kind of frustrating to use.

Shure tempest got outdated but as said adding a -20% shout CD on tempestous aria might open options. I guess still not strong enough but i would be pleased.And there are a lot of traits that are of low to no use like one with fire that would help if buffed that won´t impact any meta build ...

@Axl.8924 said:I 100% agree.I'm playing ele in fractals and while doing the bloomfang boss fight, i had so much trouble landing a hit witht he channeling effect and taking damage while casting meteor and overload lightning.I feel like these effects should be shortened enough, and maybe the lightning field and buff last a bit longer to get the benefit out of it.Currently, its kind of frustrating to us

@Mr Godlike.6098 said:@Jski.6180

@Wolfric.9380

uhm , removing the overload stuck animation , making it a charge spell and being able to cast other spells while overload is doing its thing ?

uhm , removing the overload stuck animation , making it a charge spell and being able to cast other spells while overload is doing its thing ?

What do you mean?

Do you mean to say you pre charge it then cast it? That would actually be a good idea.Go and create a spell charge by channeling, then having a charge of overload lightning and or meteor then cast it.

@Axl.8924 said:uhm , removing the overload stuck animation , making it a charge spell and being able to cast other spells while overload is doing its thing ?

What do you mean?

Do you mean to say you pre charge it then cast it? That would actually be a good idea.Go and create a spell charge by channeling, then having a charge of overload lightning and or meteor then cast it.

that would be cool but no , i mean changing the overloads to a casting spell instead of a channeling spell

@Warlyx.6732 said:

@Axl.8924 said:I 100% agree.I'm playing ele in fractals and while doing the bloomfang boss fight, i had so much trouble landing a hit witht he channeling effect and taking damage while casting meteor and overload lightning.I feel like these effects should be shortened enough, and maybe the lightning field and buff last a bit longer to get the benefit out of it.Currently, its kind of frustrating to us

The animation is ok but during the overload should give your pt more support effects or even let you take a trite that gives out effect during your overload for your pt (having -100% movement cc is nice but kind of pointless for a support class why not make it aoe but weaker).

@Jski.6180The animation is ok but during the overload should give your pt more support effects or even let you take a trite that gives out effect during your overload for your pt (having -100% movement cc is nice but kind of pointless for a support class why not make it aoe but weaker).

uhm yeah maybe giving boons around while channeling would be cool , might for fire , regen for water , prot for earth and alacrity on air (or quickness )

Right now, I think the tempest represents the "Elementalist Plus" it did not make any negative change in the base line elementalist skills unlike the weaver which has the delay when trying to switch to a specific full element. Plus, Tempest can be useful in a support role. and who doesn't love becoming a fire tornado.

To add to the thing above, actually keeping quiet on this thread means risking tempest becoming plain suport just because 3-4 people want that.

If anything i would prefer the dps boosted again on the overloads so it is on par with the weird weaver.

@Ravel.5701 said:To add to the thing above, actually keeping quiet on this thread means risking tempest becoming plain suport just because 3-4 people want that.

If anything i would prefer the dps boosted again on the overloads so it is on par with the weird weaver.

I would prefer to keep Tempest as the healing spec, if people want dps they can use weaver imo.

Weaver has ridiculous rotation due to combining two elements. Keeping your lines with a single element is uselessly hard. Never agrerd with this feature when the forum proposed it, and don't agree with it now. Ele is hard to play even on regular attunments.

If they ruin tempest i would at least like to see core ele fixed to what it was.

The PVE Tempest is in an odd place. For all intents and purposes, the weaver should be better because it has the highest DPS in the game. In power, to boot. But... I hate playing the weaver. The damage rotations are complicated and very easy to mess up, a lot of the skills are channel attacks, and the dual attunements mean that I am constantly locked out of all of my defensive weapon skills and CC. The spec is so glass that I often have trouble with groups of normal enemies on PoF maps.

To contrast, the tempest is really easy to use. The overloads are stun breaks, which gives them defensive utility. There's a trait to automatically gain protection and magnetic aura when hit, which is an utter life saver in countless places. I automatically stun break the first stun that hits me. The DPS rotations are a lot simpler, and because of the overloads they are a lot more mobile. I can also share projectile reflection and even remove a fatal hit on command. I don't run DPS meters, so I don't know if I am doing more or less damage, but in harder content it is definitely much easier to use and I spend less time eating dirt.

Healing tempest is also in an odd place. As far as overall healing goes, it is one of the best in the game. The passive healing is good, it heals in a very wide range, and the burst healing / rez abilities are strong. But... it doesn't see a lot of play, because it does little else but heal. The other big healing classes (druid, firebrand, renegade) give a lot of boons and miscellaneous group support.

If we wanted tempest to be meta, we'd have to see some kind of unique group buff that increases damage. That's what is holding the class back, because realistically those buffs are the only reason why any class other than Chrono is meta.

Well,tbh i'm running tempest d/w fresh air build, when i'm doing fractals recs daily. I feel mobile, and i can play safe with my overlords and i'm still the first dps on the group. The weaver makes me feel like i'm an slowpoke. Some skills need to be channeled and lets not forget that if you just one single tiny mistake in your rota, your dps is going down like a fallen star. The entire weaver spec...feels so oddly for me.

Weaver is the strongest dps in current meta because there are lots of damage modifiers (which stack multiplicatively with already big number of self modifiers) and because it requires lots of heals/blocks aka ways to counter enemies interrupting its rotation. Basically it needs a lot of babysitting to get those high dps numbers (which is provided by competent druids/chronos or even dragonhunters).

Tempest on the other hand has instant stun breaks, stability, improved protection which make it a lot better and safer in non optimised party.

@"Blood Red Arachnid.2493"

Healing Tempest actually does offer a lot of special effects to the party: auras. The problem is none of the effects from those auras themselves are particularly helpful in end-game pve content and only a couple (magnetic and shocking) matter in pvp and wvw, with their more notable benefits being from traits. Consider this build; it can maintain might, fury, regen and vigor on its sub-group or party.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFUQJBIhdSfJ0fJWhJYEBwhJWGAMitQWoI4uaft32gAQEoAA-jxhIQBwUPgOV/JpKBJqyvu9AAAwJAYH7PsOYAYrBwu7ubju7u7u7WKA/GGB-e

With that said, I do agree Tempest needs something, such as a unique effect, in order to be taken more often as a healer. Maybe a trait can be changed to make auras apply a small damage buff which stacks in intensity per each unique aura in addition to their current effects. Depending on how that's done, it could even make dps Tempest desirable in group content again.

I feel like they should standardize the druid spirits to be some kind of buff that can be used by other professions, the tempest as a support can benefit a lot with it imo. For example:

• Spirit of Frost when the Tempest uses "Flash-Freeze!"
  • Stone Spirit when the Tempest uses "Aftershock!"
  • Sun Spirit when the Tempest uses "Feel the Burn!"
  • Storm Spirit when the Tempest uses "Eye of the Storm!"

They can even change the name of those buffs to be more standard and give to some other classes.

Anet needs to revisit tempest and rework the effectiveness of Auras to make them more attractive/viable. They’ve made changes to light aura, but the only way for eles to have access to them is through rune of radiance. I’m in favor of adding light aura to rebound, along with potentially increasing its duration for lethal blow from 5s to 7s?

Tempest is awesome. On release, I never thought I'd like it over regular ele, but it turned out to really fit my playstyle. I've tried weaver, but the best dps I could get with it was only 2k more than with tempest. I'd rather get the extra stunbreaks, heals and boons.

Then again, I must admit I'm lousy at playing weaver. 30k on a big golem is the best I could get.

@Emtiarbi.3281 said:I feel like they should standardize the druid spirits to be some kind of buff that can be used by other professions, the tempest as a support can benefit a lot with it imo.

Interesting idea. If there were any place to give eles some unique boons, auras would certainly be the prime candidate. I feel that the major issue is that some professions (notably warrior and ranger) have multiple unique, non-boon raid buffs. If it were just Spotter for example, you could say: 'Sure, we can manage without a ranger.' But giving up that ranger means you lose 3 unique raid dps boosts (4 if you count the glyph) and that's just too much. It would have to be a tempest trait, to prevent weavers from becoming the best at everything.

@Emtiarbi.3281 said:For example:

• Spirit of Frost when the Tempest uses "Flash-Freeze!"
  • Stone Spirit when the Tempest uses "Aftershock!"
  • Sun Spirit when the Tempest uses "Feel the Burn!"
  • Storm Spirit when the Tempest uses "Eye of the Storm!"

How about, instead of just shouts, replacing the current aura effects to match those of the spririts? That would allow for much more uptime, but would still require a dedicated build to actually provide said buffs consistantly.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived