/GG in fractals needs to be nerfed

@Tenrai Senshi.2017 said:

@Faaris.8013 said:Why always think about removing something...

Why not add a reward when your team makes it through a fractal without anyone dying?

Because this idea would create a lot of toxicity. Imagine the verbal abuse flying around every time someone makes a simple mistake, or the anxiety new players would feel with the pressure of having to try perform perfectly.

But this kind of stuff already happens. I was kicked from a 99cm run at the start because I didn't /gg within 5 seconds of someone asking us to. I joined the group while they were killing the knights and had to adjust my traits, so I dared to finish that and they went crazy and kicked me. /gg as it is now can be abused by toxic players, like almost everything in the game. I don't think we should let this minority affect the decision about something that could be fun for lots of people.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Faaris.8013 said:

Why not add a reward when your team makes it through a fractal without anyone dying?

Because this idea would create a lot of toxicity. Imagine the verbal abuse flying around every time someone makes a simple mistake, or the anxiety new players would feel with the pressure of having to try perform perfectly.

But this kind of stuff already happens. I was kicked from a 99cm run at the start because I didn't /gg within 5 seconds of someone asking us to. I joined the group while they were killing the knights and had to adjust my traits, so I dared to finish that and they went crazy and kicked me. /gg as it is now can be abused by toxic players, like almost everything in the game. I don't think we should let this minority affect the decision about something that could be fun for lots of people.

Yes, but we can't fix one issue by creating another. There are other solutions to preventing the abuse of the /gg mechanic. We don't need to include 'solutions' that encourage more abusive behavior.

Ppl tend to exagerate with the gg imo... Did the recs a while ago and someone started to stress the party to gg on lvl 6 (cliffside) at the last 2 seals,, while the group has already passed the mistlock instability in the long corridor. I mean.. comon.. its like 3 stepps to the checkpoint.. How much faster should a run be? there will come a time when loading screens take longer than the fractal itself xD

Yes, but we can't fix one issue by creating another. There are other solutions to preventing the abuse of the /gg mechanic. We don't need to include 'solutions' that encourage more abusive behavior.

Again, I really don't see significantly more ways to be more abusive than this minority already is. A guild mate of mine got kicked from 99cm once for dying once at Ensolyss' orbs. These people already kick you for that kind of stuff, no matter if there's a special reward for a group where nobody dies or not. These people do this for fun, even if you would just sit there and not deal with any content, they would invent situations where they can abuse you. The number of "excuses" doesn't really depend on the content or mechanics, it's made up by the toxic people.

@zealex.9410 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:/gg should be fixed, as it was recently changed back to old behaviour, where full team needs to wipe in order to reset cooldowns and CA. It worked okay for few weeks where 1 gg = full reset but not anymore.

W8 in the oast the whole team had to die. How does it work now?

I know. But they changed it at 1 point and you didn't need to wait for everyone to die to reset your skills with /gg and shortly after it was back to whole team must die.

@"Malediktus.9250" said:(left only important stuff here)

/gg is there to save our time, it's only your choice to use it. Nothing stops you from finding people who share your gameplay interests. Forcing removal of good QoL feature because of "immersion" will never work in GW2. Immersion is long gone and buried in this game.

@Faaris.8013 said:

Again, I really don't see significantly more ways to be more abusive than this minority already is. A guild mate of mine got kicked from 99cm once for dying
once
at Ensolyss' orbs. These people already kick you for that kind of stuff, no matter if there's a special reward for a group where nobody dies or not. These people do this for fun, even if you would just sit there and not deal with any content, they would invent situations where they can abuse you. The number of "excuses" doesn't really depend on the content or mechanics, it's made up by the toxic people.

The issue is that you could turn a minority into a greater majority. When you start adding rewards based on performance, it no longer becomes a matter of just completing content, it becomes a question of how well you perform in order to complete it. As it is, there's already a fair amount of players trying to enforce meta builds and perfect party compositions, yet there's still a lot of players who don't mind if people make mistakes or if a fractal takes 2 minutes longer because of it.

However, adding more shinies for performing well might make normally tolerant players less tolerant, because now there is something more at stake. Whereas before you could suffer a player's death without any penalty for you besides a bit of time, now the penalty increases. Players could become increasingly frustrated over simple mistakes, and even if they don't kick you for it or voice their concerns in the case of more patient players, there might still be a sense of internal frustration caused every time someone dies, which to me also undermines the "fun" factor of games by introducing undue stress factors.

Do you see how that could push more players to becoming toxic or abusive?

Again, I really don't see significantly more ways to be more abusive than this minority already is. A guild mate of mine got kicked from 99cm once for dying
once
at Ensolyss' orbs. These people already kick you for that kind of stuff, no matter if there's a special reward for a group where nobody dies or not. These people do this for fun, even if you would just sit there and not deal with any content, they would invent situations where they can abuse you. The number of "excuses" doesn't really depend on the content or mechanics, it's made up by the toxic people.

The issue is that you could turn a minority into a greater majority. When you start adding rewards based on performance, it no longer becomes a matter of just completing content, it becomes a question of how well you perform in order to complete it. As it is, there's already a fair amount of players trying to enforce meta builds and perfect party compositions, yet there's still a lot of players who don't mind if people make mistakes or if a fractal takes 2 minutes longer because of it.

However, adding more shinies for performing well might make normally tolerant players less tolerant, because now there is something more at stake. Whereas before you could suffer a player's death without any penalty for you besides a bit of time, now the penalty increases. Players could become increasingly frustrated over simple mistakes, and even if they don't kick you for it or voice their concerns in the case of more patient players, there might still be a sense of internal frustration caused every time someone dies, which to me also undermines the "fun" factor of games by introducing undue stress factors.

Do you see how that could push more players to becoming toxic of abusive?

No, I don't see that. I believe that toxicity is mainly a part of someone's character and mood. Those players who like chill runs will not be lured into toxicity by adding a reward for not dying. I would agree if something was implemented that caused a new population to join fractals, like making them competitive as suggested in another thread. That might cause the toxic players from PvP to come and do fractals. I do not believe or see any evidence that such a change could turn normal and chilled players into toxic players. People would just state in the LFG if the group is aiming to finish the run without anyone dying, but I really think this would only be done by static fractal groups anyway. There is always the chance to fall and die at some point out of bad luck.

What about adding a reward if nobody /ggs?

@Faaris.8013 said:

once

Do you see how that could push more players to becoming toxic of abusive?

No, I don't see that. I believe that toxicity is mainly a part of someone's character and mood.

A person's character or mood can change depending on their circumstances. There's a reason you see less toxicity in general in some games than others, and it has a lot to do with the nature of the content. And even if that weren't the case, you could simply be reaching that player's already-existing threshold for tolerance. "The straw that broke the camel's back" so to speak.

Those players who like chill runs will not be lured into toxicity by adding a reward for not dying. I would agree if something was implemented that caused a new population to join fractals, like making them competitive as suggested in another thread. That might cause the toxic players from PvP to come and do fractals. I do not believe or see any evidence that such a change could turn normal and chilled players into toxic players. People would just state in the LFG if the group is aiming to finish the run without anyone dying, but I really think this would only be done by static fractal groups anyway. There is always the chance to fall and die at some point out of bad luck.

A better solution would be to add a challenge mote type feature for a "no death run". That way players can consent to it beforehand, rather than it simply being included by default. Then it would be easier to split groups based on expectations and people wouldn't feel frustration for no reason.

What about adding a reward if nobody /ggs?

That's another possible solution, among many.

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@Malediktus.9250 said:I think /gg in fractals should only be able to be used if at least 2 or 3 people in your party are already dead.

Then you end up in a situation where people intentionally let themselves be killed. Everything remains exactly the same, except you waste some time and you promote terrible gameplay practice.But this costs time making the point of /gg to save time obsolete.

No it doesn't - you still get cooldown refresh.

@Nephalem.8921 said:

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:Agreed, it's starting to become annoying.

It's another symptom of raid mentality. Everyone becomes used to /gging in raids and running builds that don't use bloodlust or corruption.

Bloodlust or corruption weren't even used in dungeon speedruns even before raids exsisted. They stopped being worth as soon as stacks disappeared with weapon switch.

That's not true at all. There are many builds that benefit from bloodlust/corruption. They just aren't builds that you'd take into a raid for obvious reasons. For things like dungeons/fractals however, bloodlust/corruption is still very powerful whenever mobs are present to fuel them.

Scourge is a great example. There is no reason to swap off Scepter/Torch for a DPS rotation. In this case, you can run a Warhorn on swap with corruption or a Staff, w/e suits your taste. Plenty of other builds like this that are outside of the meta site raid builds, that work great in dungeons/fractals.

Yeah they do work great actually. I had geared up my girlfriend's account who just came back to the game. She only has the core game so options are limited on what she can play. Her options are limited in what gear she can use because she has no crafting and no access to new stat lines beyond grinding spvp or wvw for gear that allows stat selection, which will take some time to do.

Long story short, I put a Carrion setup on a Core Burn Guardian for her so she could at least run dungeons and start learning early fractals. This is what I did:

• Exotic Carrion with Balthazar Runes - eat food with burn duration
  • Radiance/Virtues/Valor
  • Sword/Torch with Smoldering & Superior Sigil of Fire - Scepter/Torch with Smoldering & Corruption. <- This is what I'm talking about right here. There is no option that is better than corruption in this particular situation. The +250 whole number is inherently stronger than adding in malice or bursting or even geomancy considering she is working with burn duration specifically and not universal expertise. The fire sigil procs once every 5s and works to activate more Permeating Wrath. At first I thought that a 2nd Fire Sigil would be better but after testing the DPS myself, the corruption yields a lot more damage because there are so many burn ticks from other sources that the +250 whole number just outweighs another source to proc more burns or some otherwise slight DPS gain.
  • Just all meditations so she can keep her fury up and not die

Surprisingly... this build ended up being one of the most effective mob killers I have ever seen. The more in the mob, the merrier. The permeating wrath becomes exponentially ridiculous the more mobs that are present and since it's Carrion/Meditations, she can actually get in the middle of a mob and not die. If she is solo'ing she can do valor medis or if she's in a good group she can honor and do shouts for team support and party might stacks on crits. This is easily the most powerful core build a person could run in pve if they had no other options. The only way to upgrade it would be to switch to Grieving, which we intend on doing.

But point being is: You guys gotta stop looking at everything from the perspective of "everyone has hot, everyone has pof, everyone plays raid meta" because they don't. Does she deserve to be omitted from a T4 fractal group? No, especially considering how much god awful damage this build spits out. Is making her /gg to lose that +250 condi bonus worth it? No it isn't, if you're talking about "how to keep the run speedy".

I wonder if it is faster to gg or or not. If you gg you lose stacks, if you dont you w8 2 minutes for moa.....

I usualy ask for gg, If player dont know what gg is i explain.

On the other hand once i played chrono in reactor and had port, blink, mimic for cooling chamber. We finished all 4 events but there was a bug that we were still in combat so i gged, explained and ask them to gg. They didnt and said to me to come to the boss. I said i dont want to go for boss with portal so i will not so either kick me or gg but i will not respawn. They did the boss solo while i was eating, died and then we easily destroyed him in second try.

Edit: But i expect your girlfriend is not playing T4. In T1 and T2 its ok to nit gg i guess

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:I wonder if it is faster to gg or or not. If you gg you lose stacks, if you dont you w8 2 minutes for moa.....

It depends on the next encounter. If you really need the cc, it's better to /gg. I would not want to start MAMA in 99cm when my Basilisk Venom and Mesmer's Signet of Humility are on cool down for the next 40 to 180 seconds. Without /gg, we would simply not use lots of skills when we fight Knights just to save them for MAMA. This would make the pre-event just longer and a bit more tedious. We only use all we have for the Knights because we can reset the cds afterwards.

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:Yeah they do work great actually. I had geared up my girlfriend's account who just came back to the game. She only has the core game so options are limited on what she can play. Her options are limited in what gear she can use because she has no crafting and no access to new stat lines beyond grinding spvp or wvw for gear that allows stat selection, which will take some time to do.

Long story short, I put a Carrion setup on a Core Burn Guardian for her so she could at least run dungeons and start learning early fractals. This is what I did:

• Exotic Carrion with Balthazar Runes - eat food with burn duration
  • Radiance/Virtues/Valor
  • Sword/Torch with Smoldering & Superior Sigil of Fire - Scepter/Torch with Smoldering & Corruption. <- This is what I'm talking about right here. There is no option that is better than corruption in this particular situation. The +250 whole number is inherently stronger than adding in malice or bursting or even geomancy considering she is working with burn duration specifically and not universal expertise. The fire sigil procs once every 5s and works to activate more Permeating Wrath. At first I thought that a 2nd Fire Sigil would be better but after testing the DPS myself, the corruption yields a lot more damage because there are so many burn ticks from other sources that the +250 whole number just outweighs another source to proc more burns or some otherwise slight DPS gain.
  • Just all meditations so she can keep her fury up and not die

Surprisingly... this build ended up being one of the most effective mob killers I have ever seen. The more in the mob, the merrier. The permeating wrath becomes exponentially ridiculous the more mobs that are present and since it's Carrion/Meditations, she can actually get in the middle of a mob and not die. If she is solo'ing she can do valor medis or if she's in a good group she can honor and do shouts for team support and party might stacks on crits. This is easily the most powerful core build a person could run in pve if they had no other options. The only way to upgrade it would be to switch to Grieving, which we intend on doing.

But point being is: You guys gotta stop looking at everything from the perspective of "everyone has hot, everyone has pof, everyone plays raid meta" because they don't. Does she deserve to be omitted from a T4 fractal group? No, especially considering how much god awful damage this build spits out. Is making her /gg to lose that +250 condi bonus worth it? No it isn't, if you're talking about "how to keep the run speedy".

It still depends on your reference. Compared to core builds - fine. Compared to a proper power dps in a meta comp? No, sorry, your burn guard will be way behind. Let's say you can keep up, even maybe pull a little ahead in the trash phases. Once you hit the boss, the difference will be night and day. That's not "working great". That's "the best you can do".

I think /gg removed a lot of the interesting theorycrafting and planning ahead from speedruns. Now you just bring skipping utilities for skipping and your heaviest DPS utilities for fights, there's no consequence to popping a huge cooldown right before a long skip. I don't mind its usage for skipping ahead to checkpoints though, just wish it didn't reset the CDs. If anything it has only contributed to the massive power creep in fractals at the moment, since you're free to just burst every cooldown you have whenever you want.

Sure it's boring to have to wait ages for cooldowns before fights without /gg, but did anyone actually wait on cooldowns before /gg was added to fractals? You just recognised that you'd screwed up by wasting CD's and got on with it.

@Faaris.8013 said:No, I don't see that. I believe that toxicity is mainly a part of someone's character and mood.I don't miss Wildstar's Gold-or-bust days, not one bit.

Each dungeon had a set of additional objectives (kill X, collect Y, finish within Z minutes, no deaths) that contributed points towards getting bronze, silver, or gold medals. No deaths was a requirement to get gold. At one time the drops for anything but a gold medal run simply weren't worth the bother. You can bet your last dollar that toxicity was sky-high. Once they adjusted things so that Silver medal runs were worth doing things got so much more chill.

@Malediktus.9250 said:I think /gg in fractals should only be able to be used if at least 2 or 3 people in your party are already dead. It should not be able to be used as a quick way to reset your cooldowns or even skip parts of the instances.It also feels completly immersion breaking if your party commits mass suicide about every 2-3 minutes, sometimes even twice in succession to remove the cooldown on white mantle portal device... I also know I am not forced to take part in such activities, but any half decent group pretty much takes abusing /gg for granted now.

I'll take immersion breaking any day of the week over having to sit there and wait three minutes for my Chrono to get to change his elite skill or something...

Or, say, to wait endlessly for somebody to finish the uncat/chaos jumping puzzles when they could just /gg and not waste everyone's time.

I didn't read this whole thread, but I will say we are considering removing cooldown reset from GG, and instead moving it to mistlock singularities, as /gg after every encounter/trash fight to reset is not what we had in mind with that feature. This would involve doing a pass on all the mistlock singularities to make sure they aren't in boss fights, as well as adding a fail safe buff that prevents you from resetting cooldowns in combat.

If you grabbed a mistlock singularity in combat you would probably get a buff, with which your cooldowns will be reset the next time you exit combat.

@Benjamin Arnold.3457 said:I didn't read this whole thread, but I will say we are considering removing cooldown reset from GG, and instead moving it to mistlock singularities, as /gg after every encounter/trash fight to reset is not what we had in mind with that feature. This would involve doing a pass on all the mistlock singularities to make sure they aren't in boss fights, as well as adding a fail safe buff that prevents you from resetting cooldowns in combat.

If you grabbed a mistlock singularity in combat you would probably get a buff, with which your cooldowns will be reset the next time you exit combat.That would be a great.Also fix things like skipping the first phase of the nightmare fractal end boss (if you /gg at the fight, you can restart the fight without the first phase). Same with the first boss in that fractal. /gg should also respawn the champion knights.

@Benjamin Arnold.3457 said:I didn't read this whole thread, but I will say we are considering removing cooldown reset from GG, and instead moving it to mistlock singularities, as /gg after every encounter/trash fight to reset is not what we had in mind with that feature. This would involve doing a pass on all the mistlock singularities to make sure they aren't in boss fights, as well as adding a fail safe buff that prevents you from resetting cooldowns in combat.

If you grabbed a mistlock singularity in combat you would probably get a buff, with which your cooldowns will be reset the next time you exit combat.

that wouldn't fix anything if /gg would still work for checkpoint teleports. /gg would still be used a lot. Especially if checkpoint is next to a mistlock singularity.In my opinion current iteration of /gg is fine. I like extra layers of performance-adjusting-micromanagement.

As someone who runs fractals on a daily basis with a static group, including challenge modes, I honestly don't really like that idea. Our chronomancer swaps skills for almost every part of every fractal, usually changing things like blink, mimic and portal to wells for quickness and alacrity. Removing /gg will result in either a) us waiting until her skills are off cooldown or b) her going back to using one static build for all fractals, without using the variety of possibilities a class like mesmer can offer. If there was a singularity before and after every part of a fractal, that would work, but currently there's not enough singularities for that - or if there are, they are in positions where it's not necessary for cooldown reset, like at the start of a fractal, or they're simply not worth it.So while I'm not totally against the idea of having cooldown reset on singularities (which would make them more interesting in general), it's pointless if it takes as much time to run to one as it takes for the skill to go off cooldown. All it does is slow down experienced groups, making people like me even less likely to enjoy repetitive end-game content if it comes at the cost of having to waste time either running to a singularity or waiting. It would also make long cooldown skills even more unpopular, even if they'd be the best choice for an encounter.

Tldr: if done well, reset on singularities can work out nicely - but it can also massively affect the mesmer role in a negative way, making it nothing but a quickness/alacrity bot. If I can finish all my dailies, including CMs, in less than an hour, having to waste even just 5-10 minutes more on cooldowns and running to singularities will definitely make me question if I want to keep running them all, because I'm a busy person and I like my clears being quick and efficient. But I see that that wasn't the point of /gg, so I'm curious what kind of changes we'll see in the future.

Archived