/GG in fractals needs to be nerfed

Maybe instead of removing cd reset from /gg, maybe make it so both the mistlock and /gg reset cooldowns so if groups don't want to spam /gg after every encounter they don't have to. Nerfing /gg interferes with strats that my static does that makes the runs faster, and I don't know about you, but I'd like to get my fractals done as fast and smooth as possible.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For people that may be concerned about not being able to reset cooldowns. From Ben on Reddit: "Yeah you are right about people just resetting mistlocks with GG anyways. Might need to add some sort of cooldown between mistlock deactivation and reactivation, or auto-refresh all of them after event completions. I'm fine with people resetting cooldowns, /gg is just a rather silly way to do it that is confusing to new players."

Link to comment:https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/82gtgs/possible_changes_coming_to_gg_use_in_fractals/dv9yala/

This is like the worst idea i heard in a long time. If you want to roleplay do it but don't annoy other players with it.

Only the most annoying fractals would be affected anyways. TO would turn into an unplayable nightmare.It wouldn't really change much. GG in every other fractal is mostly used to teleport to checkpoints. Only TO and the last cliffside skip need cd reset for the strats i know.Maybe the orbs event in 99cm too but that strategy isn't used a lot anyways.

But TO with this change would turn from just annoying to aids in an instant. Using teleports to sandbinders is the only part that made that fractal good and rewarding for good strategies.

I am not calling for you to be fired, I am calling out a change that is unnecessary and punishing fast(er) clears. If I have to take a 2 minute break between fights just because I used Moa or another high cd skill for the last fight it just halts progress for no reason. This is much the same with the idea that this mechanic is immersion breaking: I can cross the distance between Frostgorge Sound to the Domain of Istan in less than a second, carry multiple sets of armor and corresponding weapons around, I see hundreds of other Commanders, Dhuumslayers, etc all over the world. Sorry, Ben, but I fail to see the problem here.

@Grogba.6204 said:I am not calling for you to be fired, I am calling out a change that is unnecessary and punishing fast(er) clears. If I have to take a 2 minute break between fights just because I used Moa or another high cd skill for the last fight it just halts progress for no reason. This is much the same with the idea that this mechanic is immersion breaking: I can cross the distance between Frostgorge Sound to the Domain of Istan in less than a second, carry multiple sets of armor and corresponding weapons around, I see hundreds of other Commanders, Dhuumslayers, etc all over the world. Sorry, Ben, but I fail to see the problem here.

This change is to stop some of the more exploity skips. It does not stop people from doing boss fights with all their cds up. Mistlock instabilities before bosses will still reset on party wipe. So what exactly are you complaining about?

@Benjamin Arnold.3457 said:

@Benjamin Arnold.3457 said:I didn't read this whole thread, but I will say we are considering removing cooldown reset from GG, and instead moving it to mistlock singularities, as /gg after every encounter/trash fight to reset is not what we had in mind with that feature. This would involve doing a pass on all the mistlock singularities to make sure they aren't in boss fights, as well as adding a fail safe buff that prevents you from resetting cooldowns in combat.

If you grabbed a mistlock singularity in combat you would probably get a buff, with which your cooldowns will be reset the next time you exit combat.

Don't... It's a waste of time, and there's nothing wrong with /gg as it is. People complain because the LW release was delayed and they're railing against the fences. You guys need to stop reacting to every complaint in the forums, seriously.

Shifting that to Mystlock Singularities is a mistake, especially because singularities are incoherently placed around all fractals.A lot of fractals barely have any others have one before each encounter, Uncategorized still has it's only Singularity placed completely out of the way and before a spot that in a lot of cases can remove it instantly if someone else makes a mistake and gets you caught in the damage from the cascading projectiles.So basically you're going to have to waste manpower and time shifting singularities around, coding the new behaviour all for something that is a non-issue.

This isn't a reaction to comments on the forums, this is our own personal reaction to what we have been seeing in game. Many guide videos have you /gg after every checkpoint now. Mistlock singularities may not be the solution but surely we can come up with something better than requiring the entire party to die on purpose, thats just really weird game design.

A lot of the reactions here are overblown, calling for me to get fired is silly. We haven't committed to any change yet, and the reason we comment on posts like these is so we can have
constructive
dialogue. If you read my original post no where did I say we were committed, only that we are considering.

I didn't call for you to get fired, and honestly didn't read enough to see that from others :pSure i agree it's not your usual approach. But wiping on purpose in games for resets or whatever is normal. /gg just makes it more efficient.If you feel it's against GW2's philosophy, ok, i can live with that. But it's honestly nothing different.And with so many other features that would bring more value to the game that are being neglected, focusing manpower on such a trivial think is kind of galling.

So instead of that, how about after each major encounter, completion gives players a 10-20s (enough to get rid of most skill cooldowns) 75% version of alacrity (can loop in swiftness or other bonuses you'd prefer) until they enter combat again? Call it Victory Euphoria or something.

Also, what you see in guides is a comically exaggerated version of what most people will do. Half the time the time it takes for everyone to /gg is greater than most cooldowns they're getting rid of, and honestly big cooldown skills aren't necessary as often as they make it seem in some of those guides.

But stuff like one player rushing to a checkpoint so others can /gg is pretty handy, i mean in uncategorized it cuts a lot of downtime now that there's a checkpoint just before the boss.

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

@Benjamin Arnold.3457 said:I didn't read this whole thread, but I will say we are considering removing cooldown reset from GG, and instead moving it to mistlock singularities, as /gg after every encounter/trash fight to reset is not what we had in mind with that feature. This would involve doing a pass on all the mistlock singularities to make sure they aren't in boss fights, as well as adding a fail safe buff that prevents you from resetting cooldowns in combat.

If you grabbed a mistlock singularity in combat you would probably get a buff, with which your cooldowns will be reset the next time you exit combat.

Don't... It's a waste of time, and there's nothing wrong with /gg as it is. People complain because the LW release was delayed and they're railing against the fences. You guys need to stop reacting to every complaint in the forums, seriously.

Shifting that to Mystlock Singularities is a mistake, especially because singularities are incoherently placed around all fractals.A lot of fractals barely have any others have one before each encounter, Uncategorized still has it's only Singularity placed completely out of the way and before a spot that in a lot of cases can remove it instantly if someone else makes a mistake and gets you caught in the damage from the cascading projectiles.So basically you're going to have to waste manpower and time shifting singularities around, coding the new behaviour all for something that is a non-issue.

This isn't a reaction to comments on the forums, this is our own personal reaction to what we have been seeing in game. Many guide videos have you /gg after every checkpoint now. Mistlock singularities may not be the solution but surely we can come up with something better than requiring the entire party to die on purpose, thats just really weird game design.

A lot of the reactions here are overblown, calling for me to get fired is silly. We haven't committed to any change yet, and the reason we comment on posts like these is so we can have
constructive
dialogue. If you read my original post no where did I say we were committed, only that we are considering.

I didn't call for you to get fired, and honestly didn't read enough to see that from others :pSure i agree it's not your usual approach. But wiping on purpose in games for resets or whatever is normal. /gg just makes it more efficient.If you feel it's against GW2's philosophy, ok, i can live with that. But it's honestly nothing different.And with so many other features that would bring more value to the game that are being neglected, focusing manpower on such a trivial think is kind of galling.

So instead of that, how about after each major encounter, completion gives players a 10-20s (enough to get rid of most skill cooldowns) 75% version of alacrity (can loop in swiftness or other bonuses you'd prefer) until they enter combat again? Call it Victory Euphoria or something.

Also, what you see in guides is a comically exaggerated version of what most people will do. Half the time the time it takes for everyone to /gg is greater than most cooldowns they're getting rid of, and honestly big cooldown skills aren't necessary as often as they make it seem in some of those guides.

But stuff like one player rushing to a checkpoint so others can /gg is pretty handy, i mean in uncategorized it cuts
a lot
of downtime now that there's a checkpoint just before the boss.

Imagine if instead of fixing /gg (which is not broken), Ben would actually create BUILD TEMPLATES.

Think about it Ben.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

constructive

But stuff like one player rushing to a checkpoint so others can /gg is pretty handy, i mean in uncategorized it cuts
a lot

Imagine if instead of fixing /gg (which is not broken), Ben would actually create BUILD TEMPLATES.

Think about it Ben.

Ahh yes because one would take as much effort as the other.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

constructive

a lot

Think about it Ben.

Build Templates, doing a reward pass for PoF stuff (probably not his job, but hey manpower is manpower), getting rid of the Grandmaster Marks for purchasing ascended gear (it's nonsensical to have to craft items to do the thing you'd do to avoid crafting ascended armor or weapons), getting rid of all the inconsistent crafting recipes and time gated stuff left over from clumsy attempts to balance the economy, which are all obsolete atm. Etc.

@zealex.9410 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

constructive

a lot

Think about it Ben.

No, but the hours (and would be several hours) spent "fixing" /gg which isn't broken, could be spent getting a headway in other issues.

@Ultimatepwr.9562 said:

This change is to stop some of the more exploity skips. It does not stop people from doing boss fights with all their cds up. Mistlock instabilities before bosses will still reset on party wipe. So what exactly are you complaining about?

Excuse me, which exploity skips are you talking about?

Snowblind? People /gg here to respawn near boss after one fast(er) player skipped the mobs. CD reset here is more of a bonus but not the reason for the gg.Vulcano? Same again, people jump down after first shaman fight, run accross the lava and trigger the checkpointSwampland? Some groups /gg after Mossman, some don't.Uncategorized? Same as Snowblind, added benefit for Dragonhunters/Holosmiths after Old Tom to skip the last harpy run.Urban Battleground? No particular reason to /gg here.Chaos? Used as a shortcut after the torch run.Underwater? shortcut again.Underground? Shaves a few seconds off after the cage eventAetherblades? See UrbanMai Trin? See aboveMolten Boss? See aboveJade Maw? See aboveMolten Facility? See aboveObservatory? Used after Viirastra/Artsariiv since Arkk follows immediatelyNightmare? This is the one with the most uses of /gg: After Knights, Before Siax, After SiaxOasis: Some groups /gg to speed up the Yoko drama

All of this was prevalent in dungeons as well, minus the cd resets for certain bosses which already have a singularity before them thus changing absolutely nothing in these cases.

@zealex.9410 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

constructive

a lot

Think about it Ben.

No it won't. But if they start making them instead of wasting time on /gg fix, that would be a huge step forward.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

constructive

a lot

Think about it Ben.

No it won't. But if they start making them instead of wasting time on /gg fix, that would be a huge step forward.

Ahh yes because only ben works on build templates and nobody else in the company.

@zealex.9410 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

constructive

a lot

Think about it Ben.

Ahh yes because only ben works on build templates and nobody else in the company.

Whole game is a team work. If they have time to work on irrelevant stuff like /gg, they can work on something people ask for since 2012.

Not sure it is broken at all, but if Anet does decide to work on it, I'd like to see /gg added to PvE, even if the requirement for using it is that you are in the downed state. It's annoying to have to wait for your health to drain away when no-one is able to rez you.

@"Grogba.6204" said:

Oasis: Some groups /gg to speed up the Yoko drama

All of this was prevalent in dungeons as well, minus the cd resets for certain bosses which already have a singularity before them thus changing absolutely nothing in these cases.

TO has the most gg uses by far. You basically kill sandbinders, gg and immediatly use a portal to next sandbinder. You also want the cd reset because of portal and burst skill cds.This is also the only really affected fractal. Nerfing gg with cd reset would make white mantle portal mandatory if you want to do it fast and it would also slow down slightly the kill times. All this change would achieve is annoying organized speedrun groups.The roleplayers that want this change don't even play with them to begin with. Its just a matter of: "if i can't do it fast nobody should be allowed to do it".

Basically, there are two reasons people use /gg:

1. They want to reset their CDs instead of waiting around for 1+ minutes for the CDs to naturally reset. This seems like a reasonable use of the mechanic (since it's what the mechanic was ultimately designed for).
  2. They want to use exploits, glitches, stealth, or other mechanics to skip portions of the Fractal. This can be further broken down into two sub-reasons:

A. Skipping cinematics. A reasonable request. After all, who really needs to watch the same scene that many times? A better solution would be to have the cinematics only for the T1s or adding a skip button to them.B. Skipping mobs/mechanics. A less reasonable request. The mobs/mechanics were intended to be beaten, so finding ways around them is violating the essence of the intended challenge. Why bother even having the mobs/mechanics if everyone is just skipping them? Either delete them all and start everyone right at the bosses or fix the Fractal to require passing through by resolving all the mobs/mechanics.

@Neural.1824 said:Not sure it is broken at all, but if Anet does decide to work on it, I'd like to see /gg added to PvE, even if the requirement for using it is that you are in the downed state. It's annoying to have to wait for your health to drain away when no-one is able to rez you.

This. Or ressing yourself with downed 4 when at 99% random risen appears to kick you and run away.

While I can see the reason of 'it's weird game design / we don't really want players to die on purpose', using it for better or smoother skips is fine imo. Trash that doesn't hardblock progress while alive can be skipped, Ben himself said that TO was designed akin to Dungeons back then with intended skipping.

One could argue that skipping should be skillful in itself and you should need to plan ahead but I don't know. To me it would just slow down the whole experience.

@Malediktus.9250 said:I think /gg in fractals should only be able to be used if at least 2 or 3 people in your party are already dead. It should not be able to be used as a quick way to reset your cooldowns or even skip parts of the instances.It also feels completly immersion breaking if your party commits mass suicide about every 2-3 minutes, sometimes even twice in succession to remove the cooldown on white mantle portal device... I also know I am not forced to take part in such activities, but any half decent group pretty much takes abusing /gg for granted now.

NO THANKS

ALREADY HAVE 100CM + 99CM + T4's + RECS PER DAY

PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THEM LONGER

@Neural.1824 said:Not sure it is broken at all, but if Anet does decide to work on it, I'd like to see /gg added to PvE, even if the requirement for using it is that you are in the downed state. It's annoying to have to wait for your health to drain away when no-one is able to rez you.Lol, people are so impatient nowadays. The penalty for dieing is miniscule anyway, no need to make it even less

Archived