Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

12 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Which one are you using? And how do i make Steam use it?

I'm using proton experimental, and it runs like crap...

GE-Proton7-43 check the box in Steam Compatibilty - Force the use....

And in the launch options.. gamemoderun mangohud WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR=1 DXVK_ASYNC=1 %command% -provider Portal

Proton runners in the Folder Home/.steam/root/compatibilitytools.d

If u dont have this folder u can make this folder 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sariliyah.8123 said:

GE-Proton7-43 check the box in Steam Compatibilty - Force the use....

And in the launch options.. gamemoderun mangohud WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR=1 DXVK_ASYNC=1 %command% -provider Portal

Proton runners in the Folder Home/.steam/root/compatibilitytools.d

If u dont have this folder u can make this folder 

I'm running it with that proton, i figured out how to change that.

I have gamemoderun, but not other launch options, nice, thanks, i'll add those.

However, it still ran badly because of some vsync issue with x11. Using wayland instead made it run smooth.

though, those additional launch option commands can't hurt. 😄

Thanks!

• Like 1

I had some problems starting the game on my steam deck last week. I am using my old account with the "-provider Protal" launch flag. When i tried the "-ignorecoherentgpucrash" workaround the launcher got stuck on "initialising...". I hadn't updated the game recently so tried to lauch my seperat f2p steam account and the game startet just fine, the update got downloaded and after this my main account, with "-provider Protal", worked again aswell when forceing Proton GE-7-29, which was most up to date GE version i had have installed at that time).

I'm not sure how the GW2 launcher works but my best guess ist that the login mask might be based on coherent aswell(?). So i assume the game wasn't able to update itself but since steam uses a different login methode it got aroud that somehow.

15 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

WOW FSR actually works on the Steam version of Guild Wars 2! Can't believe i didn't know this.

I couldn't use FSR in Windows lol, oh the irony.

Thanks for the tip @Sariliyah.8123! Appreciate it! 😊

YW :classic_smile:

And i have use your tip also.. Wayland looks smoother then X

Have gamed for 2 hours now and runs good.. 

Thnx :classic_smile:

• Thanks 1

Just so you know, never use VSync, either in-game or in the operating system. It doesn't do what alot of people think it does, and causes the game to lose both video frames and input frames. If possible, use your hardware-specific triple buffering scheme (AMD calls this TearFree), and enable system-wide compositing, which will cause your entire desktop to go through the pipeline as a single image.

Triple buffering enables VSync on its own but does it in a way that increases latency slightly instead of losing frames, so it can actually be a performance gain rather than a loss.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Just so you know, never use VSync, either in-game or in the operating system. It doesn't do what alot of people think it does, and causes the game to lose both video frames and input frames. If possible, use your hardware-specific triple buffering scheme (AMD calls this TearFree), and enable system-wide compositing, which will cause your entire desktop to go through the pipeline as a single image.

Triple buffering enables VSync on its own but does it in a way that increases latency slightly instead of losing frames, so it can actually be a performance gain rather than a loss.

Unfortunately, Manjaro doesn't have the option to turn desktop compositing vsync off. At least not in the GUI, and i didn't really find a trick to brute force it off in the terminal either...

Manjaro calls it "Tearing prevention ("vsync")" and you can only set it to automatic, only for full screen applications and one more option that warns it doesn't work on AMD cards.

There's no off option, and google search only yielded tons of angry threads about the issue. 🤣

I also don't understand why off isn't an option but hey, we're here now i guess lol.

Wayland also doesn't have an off option, but at least in wayland it's not obstructive to other applications like it was on X11.

Not sure how Wayland uses vsync differently from X, but it seems to work better. Seems to work better in general as well, looks smoother on the desktop too.

Hi everyone!

First, I just wanna thank everyone here for collaborating with a lot of useful information that makes Guild Wars 2 playable on Linux.

After some time (1 year) I've returned to Guild Wars 2 on Linux and for my surprise I've encountered some difficult installing and playing the game with Lutris. So I just wanna write down a quick list of changes that I've made so the game could run smoother. 

I- My setup:

Intel Core I5 10400

NVIDIA GTX 1650

512GB SSD

II - Installing the game:

The Lutris website script won't work properly because it tries to use Lutris-GE-Proton7-1. The solution was changing the wine version on the script to lutris-fshack-7.2 or lutris-7.2-2 and reinstalling the game.

III - Performance

I've tried both lutris-fshack-7.2 and lutris-7.2-2 and I must say that with fshack the game runs much better. 

For the environment variables I've added some that I found here:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2_on_Wine

And the DXVK_ASYNC=1 that some recommended.  

With all that the game is running at 2560x1080 on Windowed Fullscreen and ~190 FPS.

I'm using ArcDPS and trying to find a way to run GW2 Radial. (Please help!)

Again thanks everyone! 

Edited by TocNoc.2098
Format

2 hours ago, TocNoc.2098 said:

Hi everyone!

First, I just wanna thank everyone here for collaborating with a lot of useful information that makes Guild Wars 2 playable on Linux.

After some time (1 year) I've returned to Guild Wars 2 on Linux and for my surprise I've encountered some difficult installing and playing the game with Lutris. So I just wanna write down a quick list of changes that I've made so the game could run smoother. 

I- My setup:

Intel Core I5 10400

NVIDIA GTX 1650

512GB SSD

The Lutris website script won't work properly because it tries to use Lutris-GE-Proton7-1. The solution was changing the wine version on the script to lutris-fshack-7.2 or lutris-7.2-2 and reinstalling the game.

III - Performance

I've tried both lutris-fshack-7.2 and lutris-7.2-2 and I must say that with fshack the game runs much better. 

With all that the game is running at 2560x1080 on Windowed Fullscreen and ~190 FPS.

Again thanks everyone! 

You can also skip lutris, install the Steam version, put "gamemoderun WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR=1 DXVK_ASYNC=1 %command% -provider Portal " in the launch options, and run it without the hassle with scripts and such. The original post is very old by now, .and latest scripts broke the lutris install even on 7.2-2 for most people.

Steam version runs fine.

And other than arcdps, there's no known way to run any other GW2 addons.

16 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

You can also skip lutris, install the Steam version, put "gamemoderun WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR=1 DXVK_ASYNC=1 %command% -provider Portal " in the launch options, and run it without the hassle with scripts and such. The original post is very old by now, .and latest scripts broke the lutris install even on 7.2-2 for most people.

Steam version runs fine.

And other than arcdps, there's no known way to run any other GW2 addons.

I still need to try the Steam version. Everyone says that it runs with a pretty good performance. But I was so used on playing the official website version (back when  it wasn't on Steam) that I tried directly on Lutris. 

About adding other addons I'm still searching for a way to implement a chainloader/addon-manager. Still gotta try the manual installation of GW2 Radial and see if anything crashes. Any progress I will try to report here.

7 hours ago, TocNoc.2098 said:

I still need to try the Steam version. Everyone says that it runs with a pretty good performance. But I was so used on playing the official website version (back when  it wasn't on Steam) that I tried directly on Lutris.

It's literally the same as running the official website version. Just have to add "-provider Portal" to launch options.

When you start it, it'll open up the same launcher from the web version, you put in your Anet account username and password and you're in game.

Nice to know GW2 Radial works!

Just a heads up if you're having issues with X11 and GW2 but don't want to use Wayland.

You can disable desktop compositing with a widget (KDE):

https://store.kde.org/p/1596521

Or with a keyboard shortcut:

Alt+Shift+F12 (on Manjaro - look for your distro's shortcut)

Even with the shortcut, i still perfer having the widget cause it indicates if the compositor is on or off.

There's some transparency issues with the launcher, but the game works like it does on Wayland!

No issues found for now!

I guess i could write a script as well, and disable compositing, run game, then re-enable compositing upon exit, but i'm good for now. Anyway, X should now work just as well!

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Like 1

Running via Lutris, and experiencing frequent hangs or crashes, especially when moving or zooming/scrolling the world map.

When it hangs, sounds keep playing, but the UI becomes unresponsive.

When it crashes, it displays "Guild Wars 2 has encountered an unrecoverable graphics driver error and must terminate."

Other than the Wine version, I am running with the defaults that the Lutris installer chooses. I switched the Wine version to lutris-GE-Proton7-27-x86_64 because 7-1 led to the launcher crashing.

-ignorecoherentgpucrash doesn't help.

GPU is an nVidia GTX 760.

Driver is nvidia-tesla-470-driver 470.161.03-1.

OS kernel is Devuan's stable-backports 6.0

What else can I try?

I had Lutris show error logs, and I get this:

err:   DxvkSubmissionQueue: Failed to sync fence: VK_ERROR_DEVICE_LOST
err:   DxvkDevice: waitForIdle: Operation failed
err:   DxvkSubmissionQueue: Command submission failed: VK_ERROR_DEVICE_LOST

Trying with -dx9. So far seems more stable. Would be nice if it would work with the default -dx11.

Edited by Nahd.2861
added error msgs

3 hours ago, Nahd.2861 said:

Running via Lutris, and experiencing frequent hangs or crashes, especially when moving or zooming/scrolling the world map.

When it crashes, it displays "Guild Wars 2 has encountered an unrecoverable graphics driver error and must terminate."

Other than the Wine version, I am running with the defaults that the Lutris installer chooses. I switched the Wine version to lutris-GE-Proton7-27-x86_64 because 7-1 led to the launcher crashing.

What else can I try?

Trying with -dx9. So far seems more stable. Would be nice if it would work with the default -dx11.

Hate to say it, but a GTX 760 is a 9 year old entry level card. You might just not have the juice to run it especially through translation layers in Linux.

4 hours ago, Nahd.2861 said:

What else can I try?

The Steam version. Way more stable right now.

Also, try gamemode, might not do much but might help a bit. Google how to install it for your system.

Here's what you paste in the launch options (to make it use your Anet account and not your Steam account)

-provider Portal

And if you have gamemode installed, do this:

gamemoderun  %command% -provider Portal

or

gamemoderun mangohud WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR=1 DXVK_ASYNC=1 %command% -provider Portal

45 minutes ago, Schipmunk.2158 said:

Hate to say it, but a GTX 760 is a 9 year old entry level card. You might just not have the juice to run it especially through translation layers in Linux.

Yeah, that's a bit old, i mean, i'm probably getting better performance on a Ryzen vega integrated GPU.

I'm not even sure that thing can do Vulkan, and if so, i don't think Steam will run either.

So @Nahd.2861, you need a  Vulkan capable GPU to run it on linux. If your GPU can't do Vulkan properly, or doesn't have enough memory, you'll have a bad time unfortunately.

Edited by Veprovina.4876

6 hours ago, Nahd.2861 said:

What else can I try?

You can't use DXVK with this graphics card, it needs to natively support Vulkan and have at least 4GB of memory. Vulkan was introduced several years after the 760 and isn't natively supported by it, but is instead using a translation layer in the driver (i.e compatibility mode only).

You'll need to run the game in WineD3D mode with DX9, see the link in my signature for help.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508

Thank you all for your suggestions. My GTX 760 is the EVGA 4GB variant that was, when I built this machine as a Hackintosh, one of the better options. Then time passed. . . .

I'll limp along with what I have, using DX9, so that I don't have to rush into a purchase.

Edited by Nahd.2861

1 hour ago, Nahd.2861 said:

Thank you all for your suggestions. My GTX 760 is the EVGA 4GB variant that was, when I built this machine as a Hackintosh, one of the better options. Then time passed. . . .

I'll limp along with what I have, using DX9, so that I don't have to rush into a purchase.

Well, if you're in the market for a new system - most if not all new CPUs come with a graphics processor integrated, not sure how powerful they are though. I have the previous generation Ryzen 5 5600g and it's playing GW2 just fine, it's not "just so it can display output" kind of chip but not meant to be powerful either. If i had a smaller monitor and not have to use 1440p in order to be in boderless window, i'd probably have way more performance as well. Minecraft runs well. 😄

Newer Ryzens i think all have GPUs on them. You can use that to kinda future proof the system, and game on it (with lowered expectations), while you shop or save for a new GPU, more ram, more SSD or whatever.

The bare modern minimum nowdays is actually doable for GW2.

20 hours ago, Nahd.2861 said:

Hey @Nahd.2861 sorry for the late response but if you are trying to play using Lutris you can try lutris-fshack-7.2.

Check my post here:

On 12/30/2022 at 11:35 PM, TocNoc.2098 said:

Hi everyone!

I- My setup:

Intel Core I5 10400

NVIDIA GTX 1650

512GB SSD

III - Performance

Again thanks everyone! 

23 hours ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Newer Ryzens i think all have GPUs on them. You can use that to kinda future proof the system, and game on it (with lowered expectations), while you shop or save for a new GPU, more ram, more SSD or whatever.

The bare modern minimum nowdays is actually doable for GW2.

Considering an AMD GPU, as they're not as expensive as nVidia. It'll be a different adventure to get it working with my Debian-based distro (Devuan), but doesn't appear to be exceedingly painful.

The rest of my system is still fine for all my use cases - i7-4790K, 32GB RAM, enough SSD to run the things I want to run. If that changes, I'll already have a near-current GPU.

Edited by Nahd.2861

On 1/3/2023 at 8:18 PM, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

You can't use DXVK with this graphics card, it needs to natively support Vulkan and have at least 4GB of memory. Vulkan was introduced several years after the 760 and isn't natively supported by it, but is instead using a translation layer in the driver (i.e compatibility mode only).

You'll need to run the game in WineD3D mode with DX9, see the link in my signature for help.

For those on AMD cards, am I right to conclude that an RX 6600 with AMD's own Linux drivers will work?

11 minutes ago, Nahd.2861 said:

Considering an AMD GPU, as they're not as expensive as nVidia. It'll be a different adventure to get it working with my Debian-based distro (Devuan), but doesn't appear to be exceedingly painful.

The rest of my system is still fine for all my use cases - i7-4790K, 32GB RAM, enough SSD to run the things I want to run. If that changes, I'll already have a near-current GPU.

8 minutes ago, Nahd.2861 said:

For those on AMD cards, am I right to conclude that an RX 6600 with AMD's own Linux drivers will work?

AMD doesn't need special drivers. AMD has open source Mesa drivers built into the linux kernel, there's no need to do anything, it just works. That's why everyone recommends AMD if you're going to be on Linux. Not sure why it wouldn't work on a "debian based distro". As long as it has mesa drivers, you're golden.