Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

On 8/14/2022 at 2:11 PM, Bluaxe.5014 said:

I'm going to try to get gw2 running on lutris instead of steam, and spend some time trying to make the launcher run better and integrate into the desktop better (at least on the gnome desktop). I'll update here about my progress.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but gw2 currently does not work on lutris, ive tried both from the website and they throw the same error and close out.

• Confused 1

There was en edit 4 hours ago at the time of this post to the game's installer on Lutris. Tried it and the game launched with the tp working. Note that I had the game installed before and ran it through steam for a bit before stopped playing it. 

Only hiccup is during the Lutris script installation the launcher crashed. Starting it again it worked with no errors.

This is a quick test to see if the game launches and tp works, I didn't play as I am going to work now. Will try it more when I am back. 

System is Debian 11 with Nvidia 470. Ryzen 3 CPU and 3060 GPU

11 hours ago, stuvvo.4753 said:

It dosen't work for me, why would i lie.

This is quite possible,  what the same Lutris settings can work on one hardware and not work on another - I have personally seen this more than once.

At the moment I tried a fresh clear install game on Lutris on two machines with different hardware and for now, at least! the game works - i test pve, WwW, and PVP (not sure about crashes, but maybe they will, I need to test the game longer).

Current working(?) settings :

Wine - Lutris 7.2.2-x86_64

DXVK - 1.10.2-f5fe259 (other DXVK versions just crashes the launcher)

P.S. - All Proton builds always do a same error for me at the launcher start - "browser error" message  😕

Edited by Nortes.5692

39 minutes ago, stuvvo.4753 said:

Since GW2 will be released on steam, we can't use it on there anymore, like they suggest in the wiki.

That makes no sense. You add it as a non-steam game. I've done that with other games that are on steam, like Minecraft Dungeons.

I haven't had any issues with Lutris, playing daily since the EOD expansion. The only glitch I've experienced is MangoHud not letting me log game performance while launching through Lutris. If I launch the game via STEAM instead of Lutris all is fine.

Couple troubleshooting tips for those that aren't familiar with Linux. If you run into an issue of the game not launching or crashing...

1.) Launch Lutris via the Terminal just by typing Lutris
Start your game, and when it crashes there will be a readout in Terminal of everything it was doing. One of the messages near the bottom should give you insight of an error that occurred. Simply paste the error in GOOGLE and it should shine light for a solution or post it here.

2.) Launch the game via Steam(Runtime) for narrowing down Lutris problems
You can add the GW2-64.exe to Steam by clicking the (+ ADD A GAME) Add Non Steam Game, and make sure to click the properties of the added game, select COMPATIBILITY on left to force Guild Wars 2 to use a specific STEAM Play compatibility tool like Proton Experimental. If it works then steam is your issue.

Protip: You can also do tip #1 with Steam rather than Lutris for that Terminal read out.

For Advanced Users
Here is my STEAM linux launch options which will work to for the upcoming GW2 STEAM launch end of August

Launch Options
gamemoderun DXVK_ASYNC=1 MANGOHUD=1 %command%

Using Glorious Eggroll's latest Proton version
https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom/releases

Edited by Echizen.9574

My experience is quite simple. Running the game with a 2GB graphics card is nearly impossible. Using a 3GB card gives you already less crashes. Having a 12 GB card, gives nearly no crashes. To check this, I started a loop in a console:

while true ; do clear ; nvidia-smi; sleep 4; done

It showed me that each load screen occupies around 15-20 MB of video memory. Opening the trading outpost consumes 100MB for the coherentui_host. Once, the video memory is occupied or exceeds a certain amount (something above 1.5GB with the 12GB card), the application crashes.

Further I noticed that the graphics card details are incorrect. Older crash dumps had correct video driver version and video ram size. Crash logs now report 0 byte video ram.

On 7/29/2022 at 11:01 PM, handsomedrave.2870 said:

I've tried various bottles settings on my system, and it's a no go, I did get it to work once, though <10 fps.

building a new machine soon, hopefully the different hardware will make a difference.

build my new machine:

amd ryzen

radeon 6700 XT

gw2 still crashes with wine.

I was able to get it running with bottles, with ~140fps on max settings!  YES!!!!

however, having bottles installed and a game configured in bottles borked thunar (xfce file manager), where whenever I right click in thunar as to create a new file/folder or paste a file I've copy/cut, thunar freezes and it's memory usage jumps to over 12gig. WTF?

I've posted about it here:

https://forum.usebottles.com/t/install-game-in-bottles-freezes-thunar-file-manager/568

and here:

https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=16004

it's been a good run, and I guess I can either have guild wars 2 working in bottles that breaks thunar, or a working system and no guild wars 2.

has anyone else experienced the thunar issue I've described?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, garpu.6210 said:

That problem is really weird. I'm playing with proton, and I haven't encountered any slowdowns in XFCE. 

this is a weird issue, took me a few days to figure out it was only after I installed guild wars 2 in bottles.

do you also run steam, or just proton (instead of vanilla wine)?  from what I saw when I ran it in bottles, max visuals, at ~140fps, looked beautiful. if you are running proton with no wine, I'd like to try that.

2 hours ago, handsomedrave.2870 said:

this is a weird issue, took me a few days to figure out it was only after I installed guild wars 2 in bottles.

do you also run steam, or just proton (instead of vanilla wine)?  from what I saw when I ran it in bottles, max visuals, at ~140fps, looked beautiful. if you are running proton with no wine, I'd like to try that.

Yeah, I added the game into Steam as a non-steam game, and I'm using proton. (Which is an implementation of wine.)  I've also been able to run it with proton-GE. I can't speak to Lutris because I'm not going down dependency hell for gnome, when I don't have gnome installed (nor want it.)

Hello again everyone I'm using an old as the game pc and the only issue I have now is that my pc is just too old to run it without stutter, besides that im using lutris without any configuration, I did however change the settings in the /etc/systemd/system.conf and /etc/systemd/user.conf

to remove the stutter that helped out a lot, sadly the trading post doesnt load text without running dx9 but no crashes so far in either dx9 nor dx11 which is a win.

Also I started to test the argument -dx9single to check if there are any differences

Using fresh install linux mint 21

lutris fshack-7.2-x86_64

arguments -dx9single -maploadinfo

addon arcdps

Hopefully this helps someone

I found the Lutris-specific crash. CoherintUI requires a 32-bit ICD listed in VK_ID_FILENAMES, but Lutris only places the 64-bit ICD there (with no way to turn this off), resulting in CoherintUI having no access to Vulkan. This is because the game is now a hybrid 32/64-bit application.

Hotfix:

Run "ls /usr/share/vulkan/icd.d " to get the filenames;

Then add a new environment variable in Lutris to override it, it should look something like:

VK_ICD_FILENAMES=/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/radeon_icd.i686.json:/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/radeon_icd.x86_64.json

If the i686 file is missing, then you need to install the 32-bit MESA drivers. On Debian this is mesa-vulkan-drivers:i386. They will NOT automatically be brought in by 32-bit Vulkan applications, because they're drivers, not libraries, and thus aren't considered as dependancies even though they are.

I'll write a follow up post later with detailed fixes for all the crashes we've found so far.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1