Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

2 hours ago, Aragmor.5786 said:

Ok, so it's an apparent problem with Lutris. I suggest you look into Lutris logs (right-click on the game and "Show logs"). Maybe there you will find something of value.  

The only thing I saw that I have not seen in the past is the following:

GameMode ERROR: D-Bus error: Could not call method 'RegisterGame' on 'com.feralinteractive.GameMode': Failed to activate service 'com.feralinteractive.GameMode': timed out (service_start_timeout=120000ms)

I turned off Feral GameMode and GW2 fires up immediately.

Thanks for pointing me to the Lutris logs.

Edited by Mnemonic.4853
Update

14 hours ago, Mnemonic.4853 said:

The only thing I saw that I have not seen in the past is the following:

GameMode ERROR: D-Bus error: Could not call method 'RegisterGame' on 'com.feralinteractive.GameMode': Failed to activate service 'com.feralinteractive.GameMode': timed out (service_start_timeout=120000ms)

I turned off Feral GameMode and GW2 fires up immediately.

Thanks for pointing me to the Lutris logs.

The timeout of 120,000ms is 120seconds, meaning every time this failed it would stall for 2mins. I'm not sure why it has such an absurd timeout or why it tries so many times to reach the 8min+ mark. I'm also not sure how helpful it is to use something like GameMode for this game anyway.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508

4 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

I'm also not sure how helpful it is to use something like GameMode for this game anyway.

The GameMode setting was default in Lutris when I did a fresh install of GW2.  For some odd reason I was more interested in getting GW2 up and running than I was in trying to understand the Lutris settings. :classic_wink: However, I did learn something new...making it a good day.

• Like 1

After the Coherent UI update I tried reinstalling the game on my faster machine - huge mistake. I've been trying off and on for months since to get it to install without any success. The Lutris installer doesn't work at all (CoherentUI crash). The manual method didn't work. Today I finally got the game to install using the manual method, which renews my hope.

System: ArchLinux, wine-GE-7.31 (from AUR), GTX 970 w/proprietary drivers, various packages installed including from multilib.

Installation steps:

- `WINEPREFIX=~/ssdgames/gw2 WINEARCH=win64 wine64 winecfg`

- `WINEPREFIX=~/ssdgames/gw2 WINEARCH=win64 winetricks fonts corefonts`

- `WINEPREFIX=~/ssdgames/gw2 WINEARCH=win64 winetricks fonts tahoma`

- `cd dxvk-1.10.3/`

- `WINEPREFIX=~/ssdgames/gw2 WINEARCH=win64 ./setup_dxvk.sh install`

- `cd ..`

- `WINEPREFIX=~/ssdgames/gw2 WINEARCH=win64 wine64 ~/ssdgames/Gw2Setup.ex
e`

This time the installer did _not_ crash. Game runs great, though ArcDPS causes a crash on load, so I'll track that down another time.

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2022 at 4:20 PM, Tanker.9802 said:

After a few months without incidents, I did some re-install for the whole OS, I was using Debian 10 so I did an upgrade to Debian 11, everything went ok, even the FPS got better, but!, the LTP doesn't show any more, can't sell, can't buy...

and now the GW2 launch looks like this.

Image screenshot

once you r in game, everything works except for the LTP... 

** Update video

Video Trading post

There is the video so that you can see how it looks... 

I'm having the same issue as of this morning... If I disable DXVK the launcher and TP work fine, but framerate is terrible... This seems to be CoherentUI related... launching through steam gives the above affect, launching through lutris crashes at the launcher with a CoherentUI error. Disabling DXVK works for both with framerate issues. Tried multiple versions of DXVK and Proton GE. Does anyone have a fix for getting CoherentUI working properly with DXVK?

20 minutes ago, Schipmunk.2158 said:

I'm having the same issue as of this morning... If I disable DXVK the launcher and TP work fine, but framerate is terrible... This seems to be CoherentUI related... launching through steam gives the above affect, launching through lutris crashes at the launcher with a CoherentUI error. Disabling DXVK works for both with framerate issues. Tried multiple versions of DXVK and Proton GE. Does anyone have a fix for getting CoherentUI working properly with DXVK?

Did you already read this entire post?

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508

I have the same problem as Schipmunk.2158 two posts up. My partner and I have two machines running Manjaro launching GW2 via Steam since Lutris stopped working on both machines some weeks ago with the launcher crash error. Now on my partner's machine the same problem as above happens with the launcher, parts of it render outside of the window. It's much worse on my partner's machine though since it contstantly flickers so it is nearly impossible to tell what options are selected or entering a username or password. My machine is still fine as of now so I really can't tell what the cause is. We have different hardware but our system and game installs are nearly identical.

The only (extremely janky) workaround is to press 'Tab' four times (YMMV) to get to the login button and then press spacebar to login. After that auto-play handles the rest. The trading post and black lion store still will not work though. I tried the suggestions in the post Mariyuuna.6508 linked above and deleting the temp and cache folders without any luck. Is anyone else encountering this new bug? 

And then just to rant a bit...I know Linux players are a fraction of a fraction of the player base (there are dozens of us!) but it's just so frustrating having to jump though so many hoops to play a game that up until a few months ago worked flawlessly. I know it's not officially supported so it's provided as is and all that but it still sucks. 

2 hours ago, fumble.6857 said:

the launcher, parts of it render outside of the window. It's much worse on my partner's machine though since it contstantly flickers so it is nearly impossible to tell what options are selected or entering a username or password.

I got this same issue with the latest GW2 update. This applies to anything in the game using CoherentUI. So, login launcher, TP, Guild scribing UI etc.

I was using GE-Proton7-31, and tried to update to 7-37, but the results were the same.

Edit: In other news, the CoherentUI_Host memory leak appears to be gone. And all my TP slideshow-ness with it.

Things are still rendering, but are hard to navigate 😛

Edited by Hell Nirvana.9045

Hi all,

Created an account here just to share my experience with the same flickering issues on login screen and TP. This problem started to happen with me on Friday. Thursday I was playing just fine, and had updated proton-ge to 7.37. I tried downgrading to the previous version I was using, 7.31. Issue persisted. I tried several different versions of proton, proton-ge, and proton-tkg, always purging the prefix to avoid any issues. No luck.

The only way I am currently able to make the game work is to use wine-ge-custom (https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/wine-ge-custom).

I gave up on trying to isolate what is the root cause. But I do have a question to everyone else who is facing the same issue: are you using nvidia? I also tested downgrading the nvidia drivers, but didn't help.

Edited by hexengraf.8367

1 hour ago, hexengraf.8367 said:

Hi all,

Created an account here just to share my experience with the same flickering issues on login screen and TP. This problem started to happen with me on Friday. Thursday I was playing just fine, and had updated proton-ge to 7.37. I tried downgrading to the previous version I was using, 7.31. Issue persisted. I tried several different versions of proton, proton-ge, and proton-tkg, always purging the prefix to avoid any issues. No luck.

The only way I am currently able to make the game work is to use wine-ge-custom (https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/wine-ge-custom).

I gave up on trying to isolate what is the root cause. But I do have a question to everyone else who is facing the same issue: are you using nvidia? I also tested downgrading the nvidia drivers, but didn't help.

I am also using Nvidia on both machines. Works on one but not the other.

4 hours ago, hexengraf.8367 said:

Hi all,

Yes, also Nvidia. 3080 with 5900X. Manjaro. Doesn't matter whether I launch through Lutris or Steam, doesn't matter what version of DXVK or Proton... same error

Edited by Schipmunk.2158
added information

Apparently the steam beta update was causing the issue for me. Opted out of beta updates and now proton is working again.

My only concern is that whatever is causing the issue eventually gets rolled out to stable release without being detected. Can you guys check if steam beta is causing this issue on your side as well? Maybe it is worth reporting it to valve somewhere (github, I guess?).

Edited by hexengraf.8367

10 hours ago, hexengraf.8367 said:

Apparently the steam beta update was causing the issue for me. Opted out of beta updates and now proton is working again.

My only concern is that whatever is causing the issue eventually gets rolled out to stable release without being detected. Can you guys check if steam beta is causing this issue on your side as well? Maybe it is worth reporting it to valve somewhere (github, I guess?).

Can confirm, opting out from Steam Client beta fixed the rendering corruptions!

Edited by Hell Nirvana.9045
  • Like 1

Hi all,
I wanted to add to the above mentioned problem. First of, I can also say that everything worked fine before Friday and since then the game showed the rendering issues mentioned above. I can also reproduce that switching out of the steam beta makes the game run again.
After failing to get it to run under steam with different proton versions I tried to install the game via Lutris and this also failed.
Interestingly the client crashed under Lutris (also tried different runners) and returned always the following error message:

*--> Crash <--*
Assertion: Launcher: Browser crashed
File: D:\Perforce\Live\NAEU\v2\Code\Gw2\Game\Launcher\LauncherCoherent.cpp(2559)
App: Gw2-64.exe
Pid: 704
BaseAddr: 0000000140000000
ProgramId: 101
Build: 136147
When: 2022-10-24T15:48:20Z 2022-10-24T17:48:20+02:00
Uptime:   0 days  0:00:03
Flags: 0

[...]

*--> Error Logs <--*
15:48:18Z Failed to open GFE XML: 2
15:48:20Z Browser view crashed
Crashed at 15:48:20Z

Some thoughts on this:

1. I assume `LauncherCoherent.cpp` shows that it is a problem with `CoherentUI`?
  2. Before switching to steam I did install GW2 via Lutris. I would say seeing that the game is still broken on Lutris indicates that just switching off from steam-beta is not actually solving this new problem. Especially since it did previously run even under the steam beta. I would like to know if the Lutris version of the game was also working until around friday? Can anyone confirm or deny this?
  3. I also noticed the falsely rendered UI only shows up under (Gnome) Xorg while running (Gnome) Wayland does not show the falsely rendered UI and just gets the launcher stuck on "initializing".
  4. I can also confirm that after logging into the falsely rendered UI by just pressing a few times 'Enter' and/or 'Tab' the game actually launches without problems. I can open the inventory and also other menus in the game without problems the only window that does not render right is the trading post.

Some further information:
At first I thought there might be a problem with my gpu drivers (AMD + mesa: 22.2.1-1) but given that other people report the same problem with nvidia I assume this also falls flat.

Edited by glyz.8795

6 hours ago, Hell Nirvana.9045 said:

32-bit games (CoherentUI is 32-bit, so it's relevant here) running via Proton are crashing on the current Steam Client beta:
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/6262

This is it! I tested re-enabling steam beta and disabling shader pre-caching, and it worked. So it is, indeed, related to ubuntu12_32/libVkLayer_steam_fossilize.so shipped in beta, as pointed out in the github's thread.

Good to know the bug is being tracked already.

6 hours ago, glyz.8795 said:

After failing to get it to run under steam with different proton versions I tried to install the game via Lutris and this also failed.
Interestingly the client crashed under Lutris (also tried different runners) and returned always the following error message:

I would say the crash in Lutris is probably due to a different reason. Check if it is not the issue number 2 described here:

Edited by hexengraf.8367
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2022 at 10:15 PM, hexengraf.8367 said:

I had enabled Steam Beta several months ago to fix a text rendering issue. Disabling Steam Beta fixed the GW2 Problems for me as well

12 hours ago, Thyfealor.1972 said:

OK so the game play fine launching through steam. But after some playtime (couple hours) the pc freeze.

I tried with/without arcdps, it's the same.

I tried adding in the steam launch option

no difference either.

Yup. This started for me about the same time as the last bug. It's not the whole PC for me, just the game. It pops up a crash reporting window behind the game with a CoherentUI issue after a couple hours. I'm on ProtonGE 37 and haven't tried other versions yet. I'm loading in with 38 right now. I'll edit this post if it's the same or changed... Edit: Still Crashes same on 38

Edited by Schipmunk.2158
updated information

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2022 at 8:19 AM, Thyfealor.1972 said:

OK so the game play fine launching through steam. But after some playtime (couple hours) the pc freeze.

I tried with/without arcdps, it's the same.

I tried adding in the steam launch option

no difference either.

CohereintUI is 32-bit and will always run out of memory after a while. You have to restart the game sometimes (once an hour maybe), like I said in my post. There is no workaround, only ways to get more time.

The devs of this product aren't related to ArenaNet and would have to fix the memory leak themselves.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508

I am on lutris-ge-proton-7.22 x86-64 and the game is working fine. Worked fine in opensuse, is working fine in gentoo. 

Kernel is decently recent.

Mesa is recent.

dxvk is recent.

Everything recent. Stuff just works.

edit: just tried lutris-ge-proton-7.33. Works fine as well.

Edited by VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.

Hi All,

As you might have noticed, quite some time has passed and I haven't updated the packages on the front page. Over the past few months I've tried many times to get the game running on my old distro, always ending in failure. Eventually I stopped trying and moved on to different interests.

Today I've taken another stab at it and I've finally managed to get the game up and running. Unfortunately this does not mean I'll be able to release newer packages anytime soon. Though, if anyone wishes to take over the project I would be happy to help.

Game appears to be running fine, no crashes whatsoever in the past hour, using setup as follows:

- lutris-fshack-7.2-2.9 (Source code: https://github.com/lutris/wine/tree/lutris-fshack-7.2-2.9)

- Mesa 22.0.5

- dxvk-async 2.0 (recently released and has a bunch of improvements regarding 32bit applications and memory management)

• Thanks 3