Love the New Gathering Glyphs.

STIHL.2489

Has any kind soul out there done a 'for science!' check on what leather/cloth drops from home instance nodes?

Also is there a ELI5 on the whole system? im sort of confused about temp glyphs and if its worth it,also where my 'free' one is best placed and which type- im assuming as the only regular gathering I do is in my home instance and most of it uses the mining pick that I should get a leather one and pop it in there?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Donari.5237 said:I edited my post but that doesn't show my shame enough ... so I'll add a fresh post to note that I goofed, I didn't overwrite the Scavenger glyph, I just stuck it in another tool in a hurry and then ran off to an appointment. I realized when I got Thin Blood from logging today.

My bad, so much my bad. I've closed my Support ticket on a chagrined note.

At least you didn't lose anything, no harm, no foul. life happens.

@Rococo.8347 said:Has any kind soul out there done a 'for science!' check on what leather/cloth drops from home instance nodes?

Also is there a ELI5 on the whole system? im sort of confused about temp glyphs and if its worth it,also where my 'free' one is best placed and which type- im assuming as the only regular gathering I do is in my home instance and most of it uses the mining pick that I should get a leather one and pop it in there?

I have the leather glyph in my mining pick. Tier 1 stuff, sadly, from all the mining nodes where I got a hit. Copper to Ori, it appears to count as a low level zone. Which is only fair, I guess.

Edit: Post above mine seems to suggest that some of the nodes (maybe the LS ones) have better drop tables. I don't recall getting any leather hits on the LS nodes, so I wouldn't know if they work different or not.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@"XMeK.9408" said:Regarding the Leather Gathering Glyph, I have only been able to get Thick leather in Lvl 80 gathering zones. Anyone get anything of a higher tier than that?

Good to know. Maybe it goes by your characters level.

It goes by effective character level and material type. This means a level 80 being downscaled in lower level zones will get lower tier materials from gathering nodes. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Glyph_of_the_Leatherworker And since there's no upscaling character level, a level 60 gathering from a level 80 zone will only get T4 materials from the gathering tool glyph, even if you're gathering T6 mats like Orichalcum or Ancient Wood.

And as far as Hardened Leather goes, it's always been hard to come by. Even with the leather farm in Lake Doric, players complained they seemed to get more Thick Leather than anything and hardly any Hardened.

ditto on the title man. great move on anet's part. now just need new sexier outfits to spend my cash on. cmon anet you can do it, i have faith in you. i have the cash and you design the outfits. win, win. no toddler dressed for winter outfits please.

@Exalted Quality.8534 said:Does the glyph of industry stack with quickness or nah

I believe, according to this poster.. it does.. as well as other effects.

@Omnicron.2467 said:Just want to add how much I love melting rich nodes with my upgraded unbreakable mining pick. +50% mining speed from glyph, +50% Speed from quickness, +20% from warrior dual wield trait. Like WOW so fast!! :D

Thanks ANet !!!

To those saying "home instances are dropping T1", I can tell you're testing it in Salma District (home instance in Divinity's Reach).

Salma District is inexplicably a level 15 zone while all other home instances (well, at least Rata Sum, Black Citadel, and Hoelbrak, I never go into the Grove) are level 80 instances.

This DOES impact the results from the cloth/leather glyphs.

@"Drarnor Kunoram.5180" said:To those saying "home instances are dropping T1", I can tell you're testing it in Salma District (home instance in Divinity's Reach).

Salma District is inexplicably a level 15 zone while all other home instances (well, at least Rata Sum, Black Citadel, and Hoelbrak, I never go into the Grove) are level 80 instances.

This DOES impact the results from the cloth/leather glyphs.

Yes the leather I got in my home (Hoelbrak) was t5 & 6. I haven't tried the others yet.

@Charrbeque.8729 said:

@Linken.6345 said:Well looks like home instance count as t1 then.

Which is weird, because using the leather glyph in a home instance, the only type of leather I got from it was thick leather, which is a T5 material.

Linken was harvesting in the human home instance, which is a level 15 zone. The other 4 are level 80.

Just wanted to point out something I noticed: while in a home instance you're not downleveled. I opened the hero panel while there and saw my level as 80. If I was downleveled the hero panel would say "Effective Level ##" to show what level you're downleveled to.

So it seems the home instances are counted as level 80 zones. But even though I have gathering nodes of different tiers, I still only get Thick Leather from the leather glyph no matter what node I use it on.

Edit: Just reread the item description: "Material types are determined by your character level and location in the world.". Doesn't mention the tier of node your gathering from. I think it means that it doesn't matter what type of node you're gathering from with the glyph. Only what your effective character level is depending on what map you're in. And since home instances count as level 80 maps, I'll only get T5/T6 leather from any type of node in the map.

This whole glyph system is great, and I love it, but at the same time a little confusing. It is nice to finally be able to add a chance for extra mats to my Super Adventure Logging Bear. Watchwork Sprockets from trees? Leather from metal ore? Seems logical =)

Oh and, my Glyph of the Leatherworker is from the free glyph choice in the gem shop (not from black lion chests or trading post).

"Material types are determined by your character level and location in the world."

As far as I could tell from what I puttered with today (Lucky Dog with leatherworker's glyph), it pretty much all depends on the map level.

I started out with a Level 80 character on a Level 80 map, and got all thick leather. So I gave it to my Level 40 character who was doing map complete on Plains of Ashford (Tier 1) and she got rawhide. Moved on to the next map or so and got thin leather on the low end and coarse on the high end. I actually had to get all the way to Fireheart Rise to get rugged, and my 40-level was getting swatted like a mosquito by casual mobs, so I gave the leather-lucky-dog to an 80-level character again, who got all rugged leather while doing Sparkfly Fen events.

Maybe the place where your character level counts are non-level map areas like guild gathering. (Or are there any non-leveled areas?)

Hmm........got T1 leather from leather glyph on my gathering tool with my human ele. I noticed my human's effective level in the hero panel was 15 while in the home instance. Until today I was playing my asura, and that character wasn't being downleveled while in home instances. Her effective level was 80.

Seems to be a bit of inconsistency here.

Edit: It seems only humans are downleveled to 15, but only in the human home instance. All 4 other home instances they're level 80.

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:"Material types are determined by your character level and location in the world."

As far as I could tell from what I puttered with today (Lucky Dog with leatherworker's glyph), it pretty much all depends on the map level.

I started out with a Level 80 character on a Level 80 map, and got all thick leather. So I gave it to my Level 40 character who was doing map complete on Plains of Ashford (Tier 1) and she got rawhide. Moved on to the next map or so and got thin leather on the low end and coarse on the high end. I actually had to get all the way to Fireheart Rise to get rugged, and my 40-level was getting swatted like a mosquito by casual mobs, so I gave the leather-lucky-dog to an 80-level character again, who got all rugged leather while doing Sparkfly Fen events.

Maybe the place where your character level counts are non-level map areas like guild gathering. (Or are there any non-leveled areas?)

One thing remains to be properly tested: Underleveled characters. Does a lvl 40 in VB get Thick/Hardened Leather or Coarse/Rugged?I think it scales to effective level, that is it takes downleveling in consideration.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:"Material types are determined by your character level and location in the world."

One thing remains to be properly tested: Underleveled characters. Does a lvl 40 in VB get Thick/Hardened Leather or Coarse/Rugged?I think it scales to
effective
level, that is it takes downleveling in consideration.

A level 40 get level 40 range materials even if they are in a 80 area.

@Charrbeque.8729 said:Hmm........got T1 leather from leather glyph on my gathering tool with my human ele. I noticed my human's effective level in the hero panel was 15 while in the home instance. Until today I was playing my asura, and that character wasn't being downleveled while in home instances. Her effective level was 80.

Edit: It seems only humans are downleveled to 15, but only in the human home instance. All 4 other home instances they're level 80.

Salma District (home instance in Divinity's Reach) is a level 15 zone. Everyone is downscaled to that, not just humans.

@Drarnor Kunoram.5180 said:

@Charrbeque.8729 said:Hmm........got T1 leather from leather glyph on my gathering tool with my human ele. I noticed my human's effective level in the hero panel was 15 while in the home instance. Until today I was playing my asura, and that character wasn't being downleveled while in home instances. Her effective level was 80.

Salma District (home instance in Divinity's Reach) is a level 15 zone. Everyone is downscaled to that, not just humans.

Oh! It seems you're right. I checked charr and asura and they were downleveled in Salma District (home).

Archived