how do you feel about close to death ?

DragonFury.6243

in my opinion this trait do not allow power necros to be viable in all game mode special in PVE no one want a class that do his best after the target gets below 50%ill admit that trait will help in the competitive modes to one shout in synergy with chill to death, death's Embrace, siphoned power and strength of undeath butyou know that other professions with porc invuln or any defensive traits to stop you from one shout them so:

i think instead of having that trait i hope they give us a trait that give necro 1% more dmg per vulnerability cuz:in pve that 25% buff when target above heath threshold and 5% when the target below heath thresholdin the competitive modes it ll still viable cuz axe auto apply vulnerability plus other professions but not too much that will allow toxic playand necro in general have a lot of synergy to apply vulnerability

PS: keep in mind i just want power necro to be more viable in all game modes cuz i dont think that the devs will do a remake to the core or reaper shrouds .

actually not too bad.if 1% per vulnerability stack dmg increase REPLACES the current close to death... it wouldnt be too much. maybe just enough for that almost 30k dps (because currently the gravediggerspam below 50% spikes up to 32k dps, when you just used wells and nightfall).and it doesnt synergize with yet another multiplier (imagine close to death PLUS another damage modifier).

necro just loses some "flavour" tbh. also the damage below 50% in pve is a good thing. most bosses/big mobs gain harder mechanics the lower their health drops.

one more thing.does it help necro (mainly power reaper/core) in all gamemodes? i dont think so. it will not solve the issue with the very few defenses in pvp/wvw. it will not solve the issue with missing moving skills (or rather something like tether, to bind enemies in close range).it just adds more burst. and the burst in pvp is already omg - once you are able to hit something.

Historically (almost?) every class hat a +20% below 50% gm trait. So I doubt anet will rework it on necro.

I'd like to see such a vulnerability trait nevertheless. But it would cause issues without further skill reworks. We would see 30k axe2 channels even in pvp (and 40k in pve) as axe2 already works this way and the effects would stack. That's nice for a more complex (=less boring) pve rotation but a bit too much for pvp.

@DragonFury.6243 said:in my opinion this trait do not allow power necros to be viable in all game mode special in PVE no one want a class that do his best after the target gets below 50%ill admit that trait will help in the competitive modes to one shout in synergy with chill to death, death's Embrace, siphoned power and strength of undeath butyou know that other professions with porc invuln or any defensive traits to stop you from one shout them so:

i think instead of having that trait i hope they give us a trait that give necro 1% more dmg per vulnerability cuz:in pve that 25% buff when target above heath threshold and 5% when the target below heath thresholdin the competitive modes it ll still viable cuz axe auto apply vulnerability plus other professions but not too much that will allow toxic playand necro in general have a lot of synergy to apply vulnerability

PS: keep in mind i just want power necro to be more viable in all game modes cuz i dont think that the devs will do a remake to the core or reaper shrouds .I dislike your idea for using vuln because with the absurd amount of condi clear in the game it means a minimal boost in pve for what would be a massive kill of the trait in any competitive mode. Their is simply to much condi clear in the game to have this damage modifier simply work off vuln alone.

Here is a better way to do it and still achieve some bonus above 50% without killing it in pvp and other competitive modes.

I think its pretty good as it is I think the best you can do with it though if it was to see a change is to give it a 2% damage for each condition on your foe bonus at all times. Even if you are a power necro its not uncommon to inflict several conditions on your foe at any time because thats just how necro works these days.So as it currently is now.Damage increase by 20% to foes under 50% hp

What I would do.Damage increase by 2% per condition on foesDamage increased by 20% to foes under 50% hp

This can give you a slight kick when your foe is still above 50% while still having counter play (condition removal) hp and works well with the under 50% hp

Totally unrelated but a damage modifier that we kind of need to be asking for changes is DreadAlthough to be honest with you what needs to happen is dread needs to become an effectWhen you inflict fear on at least foes they gain the effect of dread which increases your damage to them for the next 8 seconds by 20%

Currently you cant make use the current Dread because it only applies while your target is under fear and due to how of how short and scarce fear application is on the necro, how easy it is to clear or ignore the fear condition, leaving you little to no time to actually attack the person to make use of the damage bonus.The best part about dread right now is the instant 10 stacks of vuln which can some times be used with a nice axe 2 combo.

A dread change would conflict with awaken the pain and is therefore not helpful in terms of dps. For burst it's just not needed. If there is one thing necro does not lack, it's burst.

Traits for further dps increase can be found in the blood magic traitline, e.g. vampiric presence. Adjustments to the damage numbers of the leeching traits would increase personal- and group-dps and so solve the main pve issues for necros.

In general I would not overload spite with tons of damage modifiers while other traitlines stay almost useless for everything but gimmick-builds like minion master (death magic) or rez-bot necros (blood magic). Spite is already pretty good. Rework the signet-gm in a way that traited plague signet does not kill its user and it's perfect.

@KrHome.1920 said:A dread change would conflict with awaken the pain and is therefore not helpful in terms of dps. For burst it's just not needed. If there is one thing necro does not lack, it's burst.

I dont find this to be a real argument or reason to still not change dread some the whole point of traits is for them to be conflicting and competitive with one another not to have a large number of useless ones or just a few good ones that lock you into taking them.Better burst in competitive modes above 50% hp would still be much more welcome to necros kit.

Traits for further dps increase can be found in the blood magic traitline, e.g. vampiric presence. Adjustments to the damage numbers of the leeching traits would solve everything for pve players and even improve dps group support a lot.

Those are not good excuses for dps modifiers that other professions have in their other core lines. Leeching is very under performing and locked a fixed number rather than a percentile of damage done like it commonly would be in most mmorpg games.Because these are meant to be used as supportive auras they are not a realistic damage modifier and should not be considered = to true damage modifiers.

I think the idea behind this is to look into the % damage modifiers that would be selfish to the necormancer itself rather than shared with everyone. Any time you share something with everyone it becomes decent when used with everyone subpar when used alone.

@ZDragon.3046 said:

@DragonFury.6243 said:in my opinion this trait do not allow power necros to be viable in all game mode special in PVE no one want a class that do his best after the target gets below 50%ill admit that trait will help in the competitive modes to one shout in synergy with chill to death, death's Embrace, siphoned power and strength of undeath butyou know that other professions with porc invuln or any defensive traits to stop you from one shout them so:

PS: keep in mind i just want power necro to be more viable in all game modes cuz i dont think that the devs will do a remake to the core or reaper shrouds .I dislike your idea for using vuln because with the absurd amount of condi clear in the game it means a minimal boost in pve for what would be a massive kill of the trait in any competitive mode. Their is simply to much condi clear in the game to have this damage modifier simply work off vuln alone.

Here is a better way to do it and still achieve some bonus above 50% without killing it in pvp and other competitive modes.

I think its pretty good as it is I think the best you can do with it though if it was to see a change is to give it a 2% damage for each condition on your foe bonus at all times. Even if you are a power necro its not uncommon to inflict several conditions on your foe at any time because thats just how necro works these days.So as it currently is now.Damage increase by 20% to foes under 50% hp

What I would do.Damage increase by 2% per condition on foesDamage increased by 20% to foes under 50% hp

This can give you a slight kick when your foe is still above 50% while still having counter play (condition removal) hp and works well with the under 50% hp

Totally unrelated but a damage modifier that we kind of need to be asking for changes is
Dread
Although to be honest with you what needs to happen is dread needs to become an effectWhen you inflict fear on at least foes they gain the effect of dread which increases your damage to them for the next 8 seconds by 20%

Currently you cant make use the current
Dread
because it only applies while your target is under fear and due to how of how short and scarce fear application is on the necro, how easy it is to clear or ignore the fear condition, leaving you little to no time to actually attack the person to make use of the damage bonus.The best part about dread right now is the instant 10 stacks of vuln which can some times be used with a nice axe 2 combo.

i like any idea that give power necros more viability but i think your idea will give to much dmg below 50% in PVE and i DO NOT think the devs will give us that amount of dmg

@DragonFury.6243 said:

Totally unrelated but a damage modifier that we kind of need to be asking for changes is
Dread
Although to be honest with you what needs to happen is dread needs to become an effectWhen you inflict fear on at least foes they gain the effect of dread which increases your damage to them for the next 8 seconds by 20%

Currently you cant make use the current
Dread
because it only applies while your target is under fear and due to how of how short and scarce fear application is on the necro, how easy it is to clear or ignore the fear condition, leaving you little to no time to actually attack the person to make use of the damage bonus.The best part about dread right now is the instant 10 stacks of vuln which can some times be used with a nice axe 2 combo.

i like any idea that give power necros more viability but i think your idea will give to much dmg below 50% in PVE and i DO NOT think the devs will give us that amount of dmg

The total number of conditions in the game is 14. Of those two possibly three are not not easily maintained on targets even in pve. this amounts to a maximum damage boost of 28% under the best case which makes you statement fair ish.

Roll it back to 1 % per condition and boom its easily respectable without being too much damage.I feel like at best a 14% boost will not amount to being too much damage when necro sits at the bottom of the charts according to everyone else. If anything it puts them right with other professions that have 20% boost and other several 5 to 10% boost or more in other traitlines they often take.

I dislike Close to death.

It is a thematic trait, that is thematically unnecessary because death's embrace, siphoned power, and gravedigger exist. Those three already give the necromancer extra punch below 50%. If I already have greatsword, and the other two traits, I'm already pretty specialized against under 50% foes.

Love OPs suggestion, which greatly helps the underperforming necromancer in PvE and will not unbalance Pvp or WvW.

@nekretaal.6485 said:I dislike Close to death.

It is a thematic trait, that is thematically unnecessary because death's embrace, siphoned power, and gravedigger exist. Those three already give the necromancer extra punch below 50%. If I already have greatsword, and the other two traits, I'm already pretty specialized against under 50% foes.

I have to point out none of your words really make sense and i dont think you understand how the traits work.

• Deaths embrace's damage only applies to you when you into the down state (which is not where you want to be at any point if you can help it) and its only other function is to provide 5 stacks of vuln once ever 10 seconds when a foe hits that health threshold This is not a real power boost by any means and you are taking the name of the skill out of context from what it actually does.
  • Siphoned power is just a boon generator and one of the only boon generators in necros whole kit that does not require you to do extra work on chance such as converting conditions on yourself into boons. In most cases you reach 20-25 might long before your foes in pve hit 50% anyways and against trash mops siphoned power hardly matters as they die quick enough for you to get maybe 2-3 stacks at most if you know how to dps properly. This provides some dps increase but what profession does not have a might generator? To top it off they also have ease of access to tons of other boons that necro does not have. Dont get me wrong this is a good trait and its solid at 50% but its only at 50% do you even start to see a benefit from this. Its not a real comparable trait to say that its the same as close to death an its functionality.
  • Grave digger Please.. this is far from a major realistic way of increasing your overall damage its a weapon skill not a trait. Close to death improves all damage including grave digger. Grave digger is slow, can be stopped easily, can be blocked or blinded to prevent its benefit when hitting under 50% and does nothing to improve your damage overall. It does not generate boons on you when you land it under 50% nore does it give your foe a debuff when hitting under 50% Its not a real dps modifier which is what this is really about.
  • Side note, Even if you apply the first 2 grave digger is an elite spec weapon skill and close to death came long before it.

This thematic trait as you call its is generally a must take in pve because the damage boost under 50% is very noticeable on power builds. Crossing 50% on anything you slap is a major step on the latter with this trait on necro and all of its dps skills.Even if you just spam grave digger below 50% doing it with close to death makes a massive difference. 20% damage is no small mater so when some one brings up changes to this its important on how its approached.

The OP idea only works if it happens as a skill split though. In competitive play that change would kill the trait as condi clense removes vuln which removes your bonus.

The trait is good as-is, the problem is poor weapon damage coefficients, that it competes with Signets of Suffering, poor over-time AOE field uptime, and reliance on Grave Digger <50%. Some things they could do would be to make RS5 pulse damage in its chill field and move Signets of Suffering somewhere so that it doesn't compete with any of the better traits in Spite (probably to Soul Reaping).

@Rising Dusk.2408 said:The trait is good as-is, the problem is poor weapon damage coefficients, that it competes with Signets of Suffering, poor over-time AOE field uptime, and reliance on Grave Digger <50%. Some things they could do would be to make RS5 pulse damage in its chill field and move Signets of Suffering somewhere so that it doesn't compete with any of the better traits in Spite (probably to Soul Reaping).Signets of Suffering should replace Dread. Or Dread should be drastically improved and switch places with Signets of Suffering.

ANet already stated they are pretty unhappy with the current state of Signets of Suffering and would like to put it into master tier. But this statement is a few months old. I doubt we will see any changes in the near future. Other things seem to be more important to ANet.

@Methuselah.4376 said:They could rework it a bit:+5% above 90%+10% from 90-75%+15% from 75-50%+20% >50%Too strong compared to other classes GM traits.Too selfish to make reaper wanted for group play.Still too weak to make power reaper damage competitive (we would end up at about 29k dps).

Still too weak to make power reaper damage competitive (we would end up at about 29k dps).

well in COMPETITIVE modes power necro still weak not because of the damage coefficients only but the fact we can only gain fury from Furious Demise which is in condi trait or from condition conversion -_-i hope they replace the damaging condition in Signet of Spite and give us fury in steedand Signet of Vampirism heals when you spend (or gain) LF ICD 1 second

that may help power necro in competitive modes

@KrHome.1920 said:ANet already stated they are pretty unhappy with the current state of Signets of Suffering and would like to put it into master tier. But this statement is a few months old. I doubt we will see any changes in the near future. Other things seem to be more important to ANet.To be fair to ANet, this was before the trait got reworked again. Right now, I would say it's a very good trait, but Plague Signet needs a different passive enhancement (say, 1 second of Resistance when it transfers a condition?).

@KrHome.1920 said:

@Rising Dusk.2408 said:The trait is good as-is, the problem is poor weapon damage coefficients, that it competes with Signets of Suffering, poor over-time AOE field uptime, and reliance on Grave Digger <50%. Some things they could do would be to make RS5 pulse damage in its chill field and move Signets of Suffering somewhere so that it doesn't compete with any of the better traits in Spite (probably to Soul Reaping).Signets of Suffering should replace Dread. Or Dread should be drastically improved and switch places with Signets of Suffering.

ANet already stated they are pretty unhappy with the current state of Signets of Suffering and would like to put it into master tier. But this statement is a few months old. I doubt we will see any changes in the near future. Other things seem to be more important to ANet.

@Methuselah.4376 said:They could rework it a bit:+5% above 90%+10% from 90-75%+15% from 75-50%+20% >50%Too strong compared to other classes GM traits.Too selfish to make reaper wanted for group play.Still too weak to make power reaper damage competitive (we would end up at about 29k dps).

Signets of Suffering is too important on reaper to put in contention with ATP and CoD. Aggro PvP/WvW reaper is already pigeon-holed into a very few select trait options that don't suck to keep it sticky. Unless they just made all signet passives work in shroud baseline.

Reaper damage is bad because shroud has no uptime for good sustained damage in PvE now that they've buffed it but reduced its duration to nothing, while not changing the out-of-shroud options the class has.

They could probably just buff AA damage by 10% on a few weapons and things would be a little better.

Overall CtD is fine, it's just necro's options ot stacking other damage modifiers are bad considering their crazy good might gain is meaningless with PS war.

@DeceiverX.8361 said:

@"Methuselah.4376" said:They could rework it a bit:+5% above 90%+10% from 90-75%+15% from 75-50%+20% >50%Too strong compared to other classes GM traits.Too selfish to make reaper wanted for group play.Still too weak to make power reaper damage competitive (we would end up at about 29k dps).

Signets of Suffering is too important on reaper to put in contention with ATP and CoD.

Lol. Its one of the Most worthless traits necro has. It gives you nothing.

180healpower? Hahaha3% lf instead of 2? hahaha270 instead of 180 Power? HahahaEven more conditions on you? HahahaA little bit more heal when getting Hit? Hahaha

The only good Thing it does, is giving passives in shroud. But the Most of the passives just suck. And the actives arent good either.

Not to mention, that you loose an important utility slot.

1.The rezz from undeath takes way to long for only 3people rezzed in such a small radius

2.The active from locust combined with the passive.... Well its 108 more heal. But thats it. You wont geht any other benefits. And since you dont want to fight 1v5 As a necromancer (so it would be 5×1608=8040 heal instead of 7500) its pretty Bad. Why? Because of again loooooooooong casttimes.

3/4second is Just way too much and almost Impossible to pull off while standing inside of an enemy group of 5, because necro has No stability.

1. Signet of Spite is okish. 90 more Power would be pretty good. If there was No other dmg Booster in spite traitline. 20 % more dmg below 50% is better than 90 Power. Same would be If the trait was moved somwhere Else in this traitline. Awaken the pain and spiteful Talisman will both give you more dmg than those 90power will

2. The healing Signet. Yeah Well whatever. Its Just Not good. Even when traited. If active and passive would be the other way round, so you Siphon health (1sec ICD) passive and If you activate it, it gives you a Buff that gives you health when talking a Hit. Then it would actually be a pretty nice Signet

3. Plague Signet is good. But the thing that you get from taking the trait is just worthless piece of Trash. Make it improved condidmg or conditionduration or less incoming conditionduration then it would be fine

Aggro PvP/WvW reaper is already pigeon-holed into a very few select trait options that don't suck to keep it sticky. Unless they just made all signet passives work in shroud baseline.

Reaper damage is bad because shroud has no uptime for good sustained damage in PvE now that they've buffed it but reduced its duration to nothing, while not changing the out-of-shroud options the class has.

I dont think thats why reaper dmg is Bad. Its because of Bad traits and skills with loooooooooong casttimes.

They could probably just buff AA damage by 10% on a few weapons and things would be a little better.

Overall CtD is fine, it's just necro's options ot stacking other damage modifiers are bad considering their crazy good might gain is meaningless with PS war.

Im Not saying that necro is Bad Balanced. Maybe its the Most Balanced class in the game. Cause you have traits to do. Want dmg, loose survivability. Want survivability, loose dmg.

Not Like other classes that still do a shitload of dmg while having all Defensive traits or that have so much survivability while still having all offensive traits.

@Nimon.7840 said:

@"Methuselah.4376" said:They could rework it a bit:+5% above 90%+10% from 90-75%+15% from 75-50%+20% >50%Too strong compared to other classes GM traits.Too selfish to make reaper wanted for group play.Still too weak to make power reaper damage competitive (we would end up at about 29k dps).

Signets of Suffering is too important on reaper to put in contention with ATP and CoD.

Lol. Its one of the Most worthless traits necro has. It gives you nothing.

180healpower? Hahaha3% lf instead of 2? hahaha270 instead of 180 Power? HahahaEven more conditions on you? HahahaA little bit more heal when getting Hit? Hahaha

The only good Thing it does, is giving passives in shroud. But the Most of the passives just suck. And the actives arent good either.

Not to mention, that you loose an important utility slot.

1.The rezz from undeath takes way to long for only 3people rezzed in such a small radius

2.The active from locust combined with the passive.... Well its 108 more heal. But thats it. You wont geht any other benefits. And since you dont want to fight 1v5 As a necromancer (so it would be 5×1608=8040 heal instead of 7500) its pretty Bad. Why? Because of again loooooooooong casttimes.

3/4second is Just way too much and almost Impossible to pull off while standing inside of an enemy group of 5, because necro has No stability.
  1. Signet of Spite is okish. 90 more Power would be pretty good. If there was No other dmg Booster in spite traitline. 20 % more dmg below 50% is better than 90 Power. Same would be If the trait was moved somwhere Else in this traitline. Awaken the pain and spiteful Talisman will both give you more dmg than those 90power will
  2. The healing Signet. Yeah Well whatever. Its Just Not good. Even when traited. If active and passive would be the other way round, so you Siphon health (1sec ICD) passive and If you activate it, it gives you a Buff that gives you health when talking a Hit. Then it would actually be a pretty nice Signet
  3. Plague Signet is good. But the thing that you get from taking the trait is just worthless piece of Trash. Make it improved condidmg or conditionduration or less incoming conditionduration then it would be fine

Aggro PvP/WvW reaper is already pigeon-holed into a very few select trait options that don't suck to keep it sticky. Unless they just made all signet passives work in shroud baseline.

I dont think thats why reaper dmg is Bad. Its because of Bad traits and skills with loooooooooong casttimes.

Im Not saying that necro is Bad Balanced. Maybe its the Most Balanced class in the game. Cause you have traits to do. Want dmg, loose survivability. Want survivability, loose dmg.

Not Like other classes that still do a shitload of dmg while having all Defensive traits or that have so much survivability while still having all offensive traits.

I just want to point out people said the same thing about Speed of Shadows to me when I said it was better than Soul Marks.

Passive non-swiftness movespeed is so significant right now, particularly on reaper, that the effect gained in shroud is worth it alone.

The heal active on SotL is massive and literally a second heal in outnumbered situations and the damage ignores immunities being a siphon which can be big (also hits and heals from AI like ranger pets and mesmer clones). This signet has literally won me 1v3/1v4/1v5 situations and allows Onslaught builds significant extra healing.

The trait itself could use changes because it makes some of the signets self-destructive, but the synergy with SotL in particular and how much it makes reaper better by giving it more mobility and sustain is massive.

This also opens up UB on SR builds which unless you plan to sit attacking your foe with Axe 1 all day, effectively accounts for the 10% average damage lost from a lack of Close to Death by using RS1 a few times.

It's crap on core necro, but core necro is crap in general due to powercreep, projectile-denial being easy to come across denying DS1, and a lack of synergy across multiple trait lines with Death Shroud - more than just one trait in Spite which is done solely for issues core necro doesn't even really have.

Put something almost new, like "gain quickness when you gain fury (icd: #sec). Quickness grant you +300 ferocity". Quickness would be really strong with Reaper's Onslaught (more DPS, and more LF regen). It'll be stronger in pve, it'll open more templates in pvp/wvw with boon duration, sigil of Agilty, runes of chrono, etc.

But the "dmg above/under 90 -50 % life etc" it won't give reaper more diversity, juste 1k dps somewhere.

A damage modifier is strictly stronger than extra ferocity because damage modifiers excluding ferocity are multiplicative which makes your DPS gained from other players' support abilities larger than basically any static ferocity bonus. In practice, a static ferocity gain is just worse across the board and opens up fewer builds as a whole.

Given how a lot of groups already have permanent or near-permanent quickness uptime, what you're suggesting is strictly weaker than current CtD.

@Zhaid Zhem.6508 said:In pve* yes. In other mod it's quite more fun.

Yeah but at this point that's the only context to even run Close to Death because unless they strap an absolutely stupid amount of extra damage to it, there are just strictly better build paths which don't take it.

It worked in SR+Spite-Might builds prior to the SR and signet changes, but it lost all PvP/WvW value in that build when they removed SoS from the game and buffed the damage coefficients on reaper shroud skills.

Archived