Feedback: Official Living World Season 4 Episode 3 Feedback [MANY SPOILERS]

@"Pifil.5193" said:Not good, given that the entire episode was delayed to make "adjustments to how we approach developing each episode that will help us hit our quality standards more consistently".I wondered what the "logistical change" was that they mentioned in that post. Totally agree with this. I'm really sad its my one day off work this week.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't get past picking up Blish's arm (and after the first time I did that, I could barely get TO that part). But the trial and the ship arrival went perfectly. I agree that Taimi's slow pace really showed Gorrik's personality in a capsule. I enjoyed Joko's commentary, had fun squishing bugs. Having a Berserker buddy along made the fights easy for my squishy Daredevil, normally I go it alone first run but he has the time off for once to join me. (So of course we couldn't get much done).

I was very intrigued by the bit from the Twins that the Commander is immune to the scarabs thanks to his/her passage through the Lost lands. Plausible. I wonder if that part is said to non-humans? Seeing as how it only affects humans, so far as we know at this point.

My one sadness, content wise, is that in the bit I've been able to play Faren did nothing to support my pet theory that he is E. :) Other than show up in a dangerous spot insisting on being brave, but that fits his cover personality too well to make it seem just a cover. Like I say, I'd have to really reach to say anything of Faren in the first instance suggests E'ness. Alas.

Just get it managed to play the first part of the story before the dc fiesta kicked in. Story telling to this point ist nice and keep me interrested. Also Faren is back so it must be a great, maybe the greatest, LS episode ever! Looking forward to what will coming next.

First part was good. (I enjoyed the hidden conversation.)

Second part was interesting.

Third part is... apparently unplayable. Given the delays, and the fact that this kind of thing has been a problem before, this is inexcusable. It's like going out to eat somewhere nice, and ordering. The appetizer is delivered, but then the wait staff simply forgets you're there and doesn't bother with the rest of your food. You're still expected to pay, though.

Rating: 2/10.

PS: I have a friend or two that have stopped playing for a while. I was going to tell them the new story was up, so they would come back and play again for a bit. But as a friend, I can't do that now.

I don't like the implementation of living world. This season more than others for obvious reasons.

In my opinion the stories have come to take too long and they keep me from the content I actually want to do, like the exploring the maps, checking out the challenges, getting the mount, etc. I find ANet's gating the gate by breaking the game especially frustrating, since I'd prefer that the broken thing not exist at all, or be pared down significantly to a manageable (for players and devs) level.

Part one was mostly great, boss was a little punishing for melee and the horde coordinating attacks can catch some off guard (like me, got downed before even realizing what happened)

The little conversations with ghosts was weird, don't know where they got their info from, am I being spied on?

Part two is tough, have problem going past the griffon riders army encounter, will report back when later. So far I think that it was a mistake making their serverkick attack undodgeable

@"Gregious.8903" said:I would just like to say this is a completely unacceptable state of the game for a new launch regardless of any excuses. This is beyond unprofessional into the realms of just plain incapable. I am looking forward to the gem compensation that should be coming to at least any who have purchased Path of Fire and have patiently waited for this "quality" episode of living story and the subsequent termination of Amazon services in favor of servers with 20% more steroids in their hamsters.

I'm sure its much harder than just releasing a new episode. Cut them some slack. They've made an amazing game and no doubt will have hiccups. Chill out bro. I'm extremely positive you couldn't do any better.

@Blocki.4931 said:

@Twyn.7320 said:I'm looking forward to effectively like playing Lord of the Guild Wars 2: Return of the King. Like, it's not original or plausible so far, so I hope it gets better later on!

Would you mind going into detail?

What exactly is not plausible? And why would it have to be original? The characters in the story are pretty original no? Not like settings can only ever be done once

Generally, the Scarab Plague is an airborne disease, so if Amnoon isn't crippled by a mass outbreak, it's a bit silly. Additionally, Gorrik wandering around as a test subject is equally as dumb, and no one challenges the concept. They're so passive to the idea of letting an Asura wander around despite being contaminated. Even if it 'doesn't affect anything other than Humans', it could still spread to Humans by just being around Gorrik.

The characters are effectively stereotypes, and are in real need of character development that's well-written. I hope Braham actually gets treatment this time, instead of being drowned out by Taimi because 'reasons'. It's been said multiple times by multiple people, all of which are being objective, but Guild Wars 2 needs to choose its story tone. Is it trying to be a Disney-type adventure, or is it trying to be more mature? If it's a Disney-type adventure, spend more time with Taimi and Gorrik. If it's a mature story, spend more time with characters like Rytlock, Kasmeer and Braham. Of course, it's my subjective opinion as to which characters fit a more mature tone, but Guild Wars 2 stands out as being a bit too... 'no consequences, big actions'. The obvious answer to all of this is: 'Stop playing if you're so negative about it.' However, it doesn't fix anything. There are problems with Guild Wars 2 right now, the most important being a lack of communication and a lack of understanding of what the community actually wants. If Guild Wars 2's community declined until only blindly optimistic people remained, it wouldn't be financially viable to keep the servers open. The irony is that Guild Wars 2's community is trying to stop ArenaNet from destroying something with so much potential, but either through lack of attention or lack of staffing, they aren't able to fix the right things efficiently. (I know I've deviated from the main point, but it's important to get it out there with a new, buggy and largely underwhelming release.)

It's fine for settings to be re-done, but it's a setting that's over-done. We're collecting a spectral army to fight an immense evil, and banish them from the realm of the living. It's a quick fix, with no trials in the way, because it's the only way to fight and defeat Joko. We literally ask them to help and they say: 'Yah, gucci, let's go!' And then, we're meant to portal off to fight him. (Which no one can do at the moment, SoonTM.) But the main issue is actually the question you've asked to me...

'Why would it have to be original?'

This is a problem. Every game should strive to have an original storyline. Yah, you can borrow aspects from other things, it'd be impossible not to. However, you shouldn't rip entire story points, identically from another piece of media, and expect people to not notice. The ghost army is, dialogue-excluded, ripped off from Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. And I might be wrong in the approach, but if the Primeval Army is the primary reason as to why we defeat Joko, it'll be a carbon copy. Though, I don't want Joko to die, because he hasn't been developed. Though, I guarantee that he's going to die today, or be banished from the storyline.

In the first story instance behind the ship while fighting the boss, in the water near the mastery point and near the point of interest for old amnoon there is a reflection of almost a bright rainbow of colors. But there's nothing above it to reflect those colors. Is this a weird graphic glitch, an affect? It doesn't really bother me, just wondering if anyone else noticed it.

@Twyn.7320 said:

@Twyn.7320 said:I'm looking forward to effectively like playing Lord of the Guild Wars 2: Return of the King. Like, it's not original or plausible so far, so I hope it gets better later on!

What exactly is not plausible? And why would it have to be original? The characters in the story are pretty original no? Not like settings can only ever be done once

Generally, the Scarab Plague is an airborne disease, so if Amnoon isn't crippled by a mass outbreak, it's a bit silly. Additionally, Gorrik wandering around as a test subject is equally as dumb, and no one challenges the concept. They're so passive to the idea of letting an Asura wander around despite being contaminated. Even if it 'doesn't affect anything other than Humans', it could still spread to Humans by just being around Gorrik.

The characters are effectively stereotypes, and are in real need of character development that's well-written. I hope Braham actually gets treatment this time, instead of being drowned out by Taimi because 'reasons'. It's been said multiple times by multiple people, all of which are being objective, but Guild Wars 2 needs to choose its story tone. Is it trying to be a Disney-type adventure, or is it trying to be more mature? If it's a Disney-type adventure, spend more time with Taimi and Gorrik. If it's a mature story, spend more time with characters like Rytlock, Kasmeer and Braham. Of course, it's my subjective opinion as to which characters fit a more mature tone, but Guild Wars 2 stands out as being a bit too... 'no consequences, big actions'. The obvious answer to all of this is: 'Stop playing if you're so negative about it.' However, it doesn't fix anything. There are problems with Guild Wars 2 right now, the most important being a lack of communication and a lack of understanding of what the community actually wants. If Guild Wars 2's community declined until only blindly optimistic people remained, it wouldn't be financially viable to keep the servers open. The irony is that Guild Wars 2's community is trying to stop ArenaNet from destroying something with so much potential, but either through lack of attention or lack of staffing, they aren't able to fix the right things efficiently. (I know I've deviated from the main point, but it's important to get it out there with a new, buggy and largely underwhelming release.)

It's fine for settings to be re-done, but it's a setting that's over-done. We're collecting a spectral army to fight an immense evil, and banish them from the realm of the living. It's a quick fix, with no trials in the way, because it's the only way to fight and defeat Joko. We literally ask them to help and they say: 'Yah, gucci, let's go!' And then, we're meant to portal off to fight him. (Which no one can do at the moment, SoonTM.) But the main issue is actually the question you've asked to me...

This is a problem. Every game should strive to have an original storyline. Yah, you can borrow aspects from other things, it'd be impossible not to. However, you shouldn't rip entire story points, identically from another piece of media, and expect people to not notice. The ghost army is, dialogue-excluded, ripped off from Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. And I might be wrong in the approach, but if the Primeval Army is the primary reason as to why we defeat Joko, it'll be a carbon copy. Though, I don't want Joko to die, because he hasn't been developed. Though, I guarantee that he's going to die today, or be banished from the storyline.

Thank you for properly elaborating! I definitely understand your points now. Hope I get the time (and that I don't forget) to reply tomorrow

@Twyn.7320 said:

Question: How are you, and you alone, the arbiter of "what the community actually wants?"

Because I'm very active in this community, and from what I've seen, you're in the minority on this. General consensus on Reddit, on Tumblr and within the game itself (frankly, everywhere but the main forums) is pretty positive on Path of Fire, occasional storytelling blunders aside. I've seen a lot of very passionate critics praise the direction the game's taken, just months after taking them to task for the writing problems in Season 3. As far as community opinion goes, it's a far cry from the dark days of the Scarlet arc.

Your opinion is your opinion and I'm sure there plenty of people who agree with it. Heck, I can certainly agree with parts of it, even if I don't agree with the main point. But for better or worse, Arenanet IS listening to us. You just don't like the ideas they're listening to.

Archived