Discuss New Ray Of Judgement For Hammer Guard

Marvok.1083

@Darknicrofia.2604 said:Removing the blind from it is absolutely a gigantic nerf.

This change could have been a huge buff and functionality change that would have been embraced had it simply kept the blind

Focus is meant to be the burst/power dps offhand weapon now. I think it's doing it's job better. The blind may have been OP if it would've occurred with every pulse

I'm the opposite tbh.

Core guard had no problems dealing damage, the new RoJ is simply a winmoar button if u can tag a thief/mes, biggest problem with Meditrapper DH was the lack of sustained damage outside of the piddly LB burst/ToF push combo in melee. Sword/Foci should alleviate that a lot. DH also doesn't need the blind/condi cleanse as much as core guard does due to access to DH virtues.

@Darknicrofia.2604 said:Removing the blind from it is absolutely a gigantic nerf.

This change could have been a huge buff and functionality change that would have been embraced had it simply kept the blind

Have you actually tried it out? I had the exact same thought as you at first, but taking the focus out for a spin convinced me that this is overall an improvement. You play a bit differently with focus 4 now, using it from range gives you decent ranged pressure, using it in melee range will make your burst/dps go up dramatically and if an opponent is running from you, this is the perfect skill to maintain damage and possibly land a kill due to the damage.

I really really dislike it... I really enjoyed the way it was, what was the reason this was changed? I personally at least never thought this needed more damage? but now we get somewhat clunky to use the ability. I tried to use it multiple time but just cus my angle is off nothing happens, and the feedback that nothing happens comes too late.I liked the dynamic it used to have where you could use it and it would go towards the target as you started pounding them with other stuff. it could remove some blinds and it was much harder for the enemy to notice it and dodge it this way. It completely puts brakes on the flow of the focus. I never once thought hey this needs more damage o.0. Perfectly content with it having the role it had.

I only play core guard, as I am in general really opposed to elite specs and what they do to the game(Still salty about them replacing the traits system with the current). I am odd like that, but this really makes it so much harder for core guardian.

Losing out on the boon you get from the bounce back and the blinds is a full stop killer for me.I do not mind rebalancing, but to change the entire function of a skill I don't like.

but maybe I am in the minority here. I used to main thief, now I main guard don't hope we see more of this kind of shakeups to be honest. Already made thief not playable for me in wvw, plz don't take to only other class I enjoy xD

One fix that would make me ok with it, plz for the love of all gods, allow us to use it without having to look the target in the eyes. be allowed to cast it when they are in front or to your sides.....AND PLEASE make it projectile again, I hate not being able to cast it just cus I do not have a target selected............

tl:tr:Please restore to how it was please, was nothing wrong with it at all, It was in a great spot. <3 (love the new skill art tho)

@Sealreth.1425 said:One fix that would make me ok with it, plz for the love of all gods, allow us to use it without having to look the target in the eyes. be allowed to cast it when they are in front or to your sides.....AND PLEASE make it projectile again, I hate not being able to cast it just cus I do not have a target selected............

tl:tr:Please restore to how it was please, was nothing wrong with it at all, It was in a great spot. <3 (love the new skill art tho)

Don't expect them to do that as they updated a few skills to only be cast while facing a target.

The only thing I miss is the blind which I'd like to see it apply one blind on initial cast. But the 1200 range, 3/4 second cast time, and the amount of damage it does turns focus into a damage off-hand rather than half hybrid weapon.

Fair enough, To be honest, the more I use it the better it feels haha. the slight bug fix properbly helped it alot for me. fine with it now tbh

hate to suggest this tho, maybe add reveal to target if it hits? would fit with the way it functions may be, but prop too OP

xD

Have tested it in PvE for a while but i still think i liked the older version better, the condition removal and multi-target blind was more useful imo. Would have preferred if they just increased the damage and velocity of the ray rather than rework the entire skill.

@Jake Orion.2049 said:

@"mrauls.6519" said:LMFAO @ focus 5 going from 36 -> 35 seconds

LOL I thought the same thing. I was like what was even the point of this???

Probably an outcome of an in-house duel to test RoJ. I'm more concerned on what that scenario would be to warrant this 1 second buff. Regardless, no one here would take much notice.

RoJ changed for the better, IMO. It has a greater chance to change an outcome in a fight (focus target burst) compared to a situational blind & cleanse. But we're comparing defensive gameplay vs offensive gameplay so there'll no doubt be Guardians who don't like the change.

@FtoPScrub.5476 said:

@"mrauls.6519" said:

@FtoPScrub.5476 said:Good on core guard, kinda mixed about it on DH.Why mixed?

The damage is pretty mediocre on DH and you lose the insta interrupt with shield. It's also full counter food unless you use it within the 4s window. I would probably prefer it over shield if they allowed us to use it against opponents behind us.

Our symbols & FB's F1#4 already feed Full Counter, RoJ change just ensures FC never goes hungry XD

@bennypig.6428 said:This skill is just too strong in PvP core guardian.It is perfect to finish escaping roamers. You can even ensure the first pulse hit then cast F1 to get burning on them.I expect a nerf incoming XD.

Too strong? It is a dot with 20 sec CD that does same damage as two AA. Anything is better than old ray of judgment. Calling it good is a stretch. Calling it too strong is science fiction.

Tried focus in roaming over the past couple days. Like others have said, it's mediocre on DH but it works wonders on core guard. Running GS and sw/f, core guards now have another option to pressure opponents so teleport/leaping away and kiting isn't the be all end all solution dealing with core guard.

At least for pvp/wvw, my final verdict on this change is that it's overall an improvement and has really turned focus into the offensive offhand it was supposed to be which is a lot more fun and thematically appealing.

I personally love this change. The old ray of judgment was unimpressive and didn't offer much, the ability to increase your pressure (especially at range and on people trying to escape) is really nice and gives the focus more purity of purpose as an off-hand power burst weapon.

I support the change. Focus #5 is nice when it explodes; damaging foes... following up with the new RoJ feels a lot more fulfilling regarding damage. Old RoJ felt pretty meh since I never benefited from the pitiful regen or pathetic bounce damage. I definitely agree with Arcaedus.7290 -the focus weapon now feels complete as an offensive off-hand.

Archived