Time gating is NOT fun!!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what time frame are you looking for to complete your weapon? It certainly doesn't take 5 years. I've made 6 legendaries which took around 3-6 months each depending on how much I feel like playing since I'm generally half-asleep most of my life. This is while working (+ going to college for earlier ones.) Time gating was the least of my worries considering all the wood I always needed, especially for HMS Divinity, and Analmelted Gemstones, and Mystic Coin Price. The Time I got all that stuff I already finished the time gated stuff since I knew about it before-hand from the wiki. I also always had tons of Laurels too and the majority of them I cashed in for gold so the easiest part was just logging in for free money every day.

Ok, I get it... OP spent all his laurels on the T6 mats to craft his precursor and didn't know/didn't learn that he needed to save some of his laurels for certain components.

This is quite simply NOT a time gate. This is poor planning on the OP's part. Every single person who has even glanced at the wiki knows that laurels are doled out via daily log-in rewards or as a reward for each 500 Achievement Points. Failing to allow for this and spending what you had on mats isn't a time gate. It's like getting paid once a month and spending all your money on pizza then realizing you can't afford the beer to go with it.

Real time gating is what they do on certain components when they only let you craft one a day, such as Elonan Leather. If you craft everything, it takes a minimum of 36 days to craft a set of ascended armor (less for heavy.) So, call a time gate a time gate, but what happened to the OP isn't a time gate.

Lesson to learn with this adventure : never use a game currency to buy something you can easily get in another way.

Using laurels to get T6 mats is not a good idea, unless you only need a few.

You apparently have a lot of time to spend in game. Farm gold and buy T6 mats would have been a better way to achieve it.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@Blocki.4931 said:There would be exactly 0 value in any of those items if the timegate didn't exist.

For you perhaps.

Value is objective and is represented by TP prices. Or, in case of confetti infusion or chack egg sac, by RMT sites.

TP prices do not represent an objective measure of value, merely that some number of people agree with eachother about a given price. Some people valuing an item at a price point that other people do not agree with is a solid example of the definition of subjective.

I, for example, would be delighted to own some of the items mentioned, and can afford them, but I would not pay those prices. I do not value them that highly.

@Ashen.2907 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@Blocki.4931 said:There would be exactly 0 value in any of those items if the timegate didn't exist.

For you perhaps.

Value is objective and is represented by TP prices. Or, in case of confetti infusion or chack egg sac, by RMT sites.

TP prices do not represent an objective measure of value, merely that some number of people agree with eachother about a given price. Some people valuing an item at a price point that other people do not agree with is a solid example of the definition of subjective.

I, for example, would be delighted to own some of the items mentioned, and can afford them, but I would not pay those prices. I do not value them that highly.

That's how free market works. It's objective.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@morrolan.9608 said:GW2 time gating is the worst in any game I've played.

Interested in seeing the list of games you have played. The number of things time gated in this game don't seem very large relative to the number of items on the TP.

This.

That statement is of no value when Guild Wars 2 was your first MMO for example.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

For you perhaps.

That's how free market works. It's objective.

This.

The market is objective (unless cornered or monopolized, which to Arenanets own metrics happens very rarely and if then for very very short periods of time).

Archived