New boss release rate

@Malediktus.9250 said:And I would say the LS episodes are wasted dev resources. Offer a few hours of new lore and achievements then you visit them never again because farming the map currency via WvW and PvP reward tracks is (despite the shortcomings of those game modes) more fun.

LS episodes bring players back to the game, so they see the gem store updates and buy the new shinnies.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:Only if hiring more people would pay for itself. You seem to think it would. I think, that if the content was really generating that big of a a positive income, they'd have started investing in more resources for it long ago.

The content isn't generating positive income because last I checked all the content in the game (outside expansions) is free. So, they go the easy way and entice their current player base again and again to buy shinnies from the gem store. You know what else is finite, other than their resources? Customer money. There are two ways for them to make money, keep squeezing their current players, or for a change, try to find new customers.

I honestly think too little is being done on all fronts.WvW and PvP hadnt had any real work done since they tried strongholds.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Amaranthe.3578 said:I honestly think too little is being done on all fronts.

Not true. Since Path of Fire was released we got 107 Mount Skins in 334 days that's almost 1 mount skin every 3 days! Amazing release pace!

We've also got Path of Fire and 3 LS chapters. As well as one raid wing and one fractal. I'm pretty sure that the amount on resources that went into those dwarfs the few artists that work for the gemshop.

By the way, i don't fully disagree with you on the matter of the gemshop. It is jarring to see more and more gemshop content (and its pricing) while there are delays elsewhere. I just think that you overestimate the amounts of resources put into those. Most of the things there do not require high resources (we've heard from them before, that weapon sets, for example, do not require all that much of a work, and the one thing that did - armor sets - is no longer offered that way). For them it's a very low investment resulting in a big gain.

Thus, they could probably put a bit more of those skins in the game, instead of the shop, but i doubt that switching more resources from the shop to the rest of the game would end up with any other visible effect. And i'm pretty sure that, specifically, it wouldn't impact the ls/fractal/raid release schedules at all.

@Astralporing.1957 said:Thus, they could probably put a bit more of those skins in the game, instead of the shop, but i doubt that switching more resources from the shop to the rest of the game would end up with any other visible effect. And i'm pretty sure that, specifically, it wouldn't impact the ls/fractal/raid release schedules at all.

Adding the skins in-game wouldn't help them much. They would either be too good and hurt their ability to sell the gem store skins, or be considered bad and players not even notice they exist. How much development time and resources go to those skins is unknown, but I'm certain 1 mount skin every 3 days isn't something a tiny team can pull off, also worth noting that we got Outfits, Mining tools (with unique effects) and black lion weapon sets as well. It's not only the mount skins that they made, although by their seer number, those skins are the bulk of the gem store items.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Malediktus.9250 said:And I would say the LS episodes are wasted dev resources. Offer a few hours of new lore and achievements then you visit them never again because farming the map currency via WvW and PvP reward tracks is (despite the shortcomings of those game modes) more fun.

LS episodes bring players back to the game, so they see the gem store updates and buy the new shinnies.

But do people who only come back a few days to play through the latest LS episode really buy a lot of gemstore stuff? I know I would not spend anything if I intend on leaving again after seeing all the new content (which usually amounts to 3 evenings at most including all achievements).

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:Thus, they could probably put a bit more of those skins in the game, instead of the shop, but i doubt that switching more resources from the shop to the rest of the game would end up with any other visible effect. And i'm pretty sure that, specifically, it wouldn't impact the ls/fractal/raid release schedules at all.

Adding the skins in-game wouldn't help them much. They would either be too good and hurt their ability to sell the gem store skins, or be considered bad and players not even notice they exist. How much development time and resources go to those skins is unknown, but I'm certain 1 mount skin every 3 days isn't something a tiny team can pull off, also worth noting that we got Outfits, Mining tools (with unique effects) and black lion weapon sets as well. It's not only the mount skins that they made, although by their seer number, those skins are the bulk of the gem store items.

The amount of gemstore releases is definitely shocking. The gemstore team must be significantly larger than the raid/fractal team for sure

@Malediktus.9250 said:

But do people who only come back a few days to play through the latest LS episode really buy a lot of gemstore stuff? I know I would not spend anything if I intend on leaving again after seeing all the new content (which usually amounts to 3 evenings at most including all achievements).

I imagine they buy the latest shinny, then leave again. Some might not leave quickly, but not everyone finishes all LS content in 3 evening for sure, especially when it contains a heavy grind like the annoying turrets in Long Live the Lich. I'd wager the same is true for Fractals and Raids, when a new Fractal or a new Raid is released, lots of players will come back but Fractals/Raids don't bring back as many players as an LS episode. But probably bring them back for a far longer period of team (provided the fractal has a CM)

@maddoctor.2738 said:How much development time and resources go to those skins is unknown, but I'm certain 1 mount skin every 3 days isn't something a tiny team can pull offI'd bet they had a large part of those already done during PoF development, and just withheld them for gemshop. And at least some of those are just reskins, really.

Also, some of those things are likely done not by gemshop team, but by artists from other teams when they have downtime.

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:I'm a bit confused at those asking for a specific Raid release, like one wing per 2 months, 4 months or whatever else length of time you choose, when the rest of the game doesn't have a fixed release schedule either. Let's say that we go with 1 wing per 4 months. It took them 3 and a half months to release Long Live the Lich and another 3+ months to release A Bug in the System. Asking for Raids to have a fixed release schedule is futile, it won't happen.

But they gave a clear time window of 2-3 months per living story episode. And the new map alone without the ~3 story instances per LS is already like 10 times larger than a raid wing.And I would say the LS episodes are wasted dev resources. Offer a few hours of new lore and achievements then you visit them never again because farming the map currency via WvW and PvP reward tracks is (despite the shortcomings of those game modes) more fun.

I'm sure if it had repeatable AP content, you'd be farming LS episodes like a good trained lemming.

@Mahou.3924 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:I'm a bit confused at those asking for a specific Raid release, like one wing per 2 months, 4 months or whatever else length of time you choose, when the rest of the game doesn't have a fixed release schedule either. Let's say that we go with 1 wing per 4 months. It took them 3 and a half months to release Long Live the Lich and another 3+ months to release A Bug in the System. Asking for Raids to have a fixed release schedule is futile, it won't happen.

But they gave a clear time window of 2-3 months per living story episode. And the new map alone without the ~3 story instances per LS is already like 10 times larger than a raid wing.And I would say the LS episodes are wasted dev resources. Offer a few hours of new lore and achievements then you visit them never again because farming the map currency via WvW and PvP reward tracks is (despite the shortcomings of those game modes) more fun.

I'm sure if it had repeatable AP content, you'd be farming LS episodes like a good trained lemming.

Sure, if it had something I could not get in any other way. But currently there is no point

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Ferus.3165 said:6 months for 3 bosses? ah what a dream xD. We've got 2 bosses in the last 18 months or so.I guess wing 4 doesn't count? [/sarcasm]

he counted from the day after w4 release, it has been infact 564 days since the release of w4, which is 1 year 6 month 18 days. So he is in fact correct about only 2 bosses in 18 months.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Amaranthe.3578 said:I honestly think too little is being done on all fronts.

Not true. Since Path of Fire was released we got 107 Mount Skins in 334 days that's almost 1 mount skin every 3 days! Amazing release pace!

We've also got Path of Fire and 3 LS chapters. As well as one raid wing and one fractal. I'm pretty sure that the amount on resources that went into those dwarfs the few artists that work for the gemshop.

By the way, i don't fully disagree with you on the matter of the gemshop. It
is
jarring to see more and more gemshop content (and its
pricing
) while there are delays elsewhere. I just think that you overestimate the amounts of resources put into those. Most of the things there do not require high resources (we've heard from them before, that weapon sets, for example, do not require all that much of a work, and the one thing that did - armor sets - is no longer offered that way). For them it's a very low investment resulting in a big gain.

Thus, they could probably put a bit more of those skins in the game, instead of the shop, but i doubt that switching more resources from the shop to the rest of the game would end up with any other visible effect. And i'm pretty sure that, specifically, it wouldn't impact the ls/fractal/raid release schedules at all.

If they dont then how much more resources do ingame rewards (which we see awfully few) take? Alot of ppl jokingly call each new weapon they put out legendary and the timekeeper outfit would also be considered legendary armor tier if it was ingame.

Compaired to the 6 years birthday armor the difference in quality is clear.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

But its not a healthybstate of the game when your goal is basically to grind gold and buy stuff from the gemstore.

Ppl need the carrot that will have them playing and commimg back amd fashion wars is endgame. Gemstore updates wont bring them back.

Archived