Celestial ele?

necromaniac.7629

Sorry, probably a bad joke. For context, back prior to HoT running all celestial gear on an Elementalist was a very powerful build.

Today, however, it's going to be mediocre. That's basically how Celestial gear is balanced at this point; anyone can run full Celestial and have a serviceable character. You won't be getting invited to any raid groups, though, and you won't be winning many PvP matches against skilled opponents. Celestial Ele just doesn't do enough damage to offset it's low armor and HP pool.

Actually Pre June 22 2015. When ele was awesome pre hot release. It was post HOT beta so we wrecked all the new elite spec classes. Anet than crushed core ele into dust making tempest a requirement, the time after that was the death of core d/d ele in spvp. Tempest became a f1 spammer in tempest former being able to clear condi/crowd dps and play bunkeroo. Few months after that the scapped cele and the following month after that they gut crusader amulet from pvp. Rolled out some tempest stomping nerfs and then Reapers became gods spammers of pvp for a year. PS they got nerfed also afterwards to the ground. I heard Weaver is ok in spvp. It's better in wvw since it can clear condis faster than core ele and have more stability. However it lacks raw damage and strong rotation. I can play a core fire d/d ele and suppress any form of Weaver. However core ele can't not touch any of the new metas of POF or even some left overs builds from HOT.

Please bring arcane traitline back and core fire. I miss skillful rotations of a true d/d ele. Where you can have a good time and people will praise your skills. Core ele was popular pre 2013 and earth d/d ele was ok in spvp. It's not till the emergence of fire ele d.d in due to blind ash traitline did fire shine. Before the nerfs.

I could carry 1-2 players in rank fight easily. That's how power rangers were a thing. A good core fire ele could most 1v1s in time and some 1v2 with skillful rotations and even hold 1v3 at mid. Unless you get corrupt and condi bombed non stop or hit by retro Power Necros elite.

• 2 years later...
9 minutes ago, Marcellusz.7382 said:

I don't know guys, I just geared my ele with celestial stuff and traveler runes,  and compared to zerker the dps loss seems to be compensated by waaaay more durability and versatility. 

You can achieve better damage and durability with a condi build using dire/trailblazer gear though.

Someone else started a thread the other day about celestial but not focussed on Ele.

I cooked up this Ele build.

[&DQYfJSU5ODcAFnQA9RVNATUXHAHLAFABEheWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=]

Pretty sure it's absolutely viable and fun  in Open World though I haven't given it my usual tests yet.

Here it is soloing a HoT hero Point (though one of the easier ones). Gameplay is a bit scuffed as it was my first time on the build, but it's really survivable. Has decent TTK on the champ and allows for quite a few mistakes.

Edited by mindcircus.1506
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After Celestial gear got buffed with TWO additional stats, i can say that Celestial gear is now perfect for Sword Weaver in open world and WvW. It's also very effective on dagger or staff Tempest/core (Staff cele Tempest dmg + group healing is not bad at all!), if you don't wanna smash your fingers with weaver 🙂 And it's so much fun when you actually rotate through ALL of your attunements (with exception of celestial Staff Tempest or core ele).

Edited by Sifu.9745

I really don't intend to come across as trashing what is absolutely a viable open world set, but you should really try trailblazer. It really is much better damage and sustain. 

I have been testing cele in wvw, where I think it works well but doesn't really change the factors that hold sword weaver back in roaming.  I will say you can stack a lot of might for yourself and allies using aristocracy rune with the boon duration on cele!

Edited by AliamRationem.5172
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

I really don't intend to come across as trashing what is absolutely a viable open world set, but you should really try trailblazer. It really is much better damage and sustain.!

what is your TTK on the Security Golem HP using trailblazers?

On 8/3/2018 at 4:49 PM, necromaniac.7629 said:

i'm thinking of making an official ele toon, tried it out in pvp a few times but I get confused and smash keyboard(i'm gonna try to learn it this time) I was wndering if since they have some connection with every attribute in the game; their 4 elements focus on one specific attribute sometimes more. So I came up with the idea that full celestial would be the perfect stats for them (for wvw and openworld) So you guys think this also?

Many people have tested Cele since the patch. Most came down to the same conclusion:

- Cele is certainly *viable* in both Open World PvE and WvW.

- Cele is *suboptimal* compared to Trailblazer. Trailblazer has higher Vitality, higher Toughness (effective healing), higher DPS, lower Boons Duration (which you don't need since the patch introduced boons cap).

The rest is up to your play style and what you enjoy.

10 hours ago, mindcircus.1506 said:

Someone else started a thread the other day about celestial but not focussed on Ele.

I cooked up this Ele build.

[&DQYfJSU5ODcAFnQA9RVNATUXHAHLAFABEheWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=]

Pretty sure it's absolutely viable and fun  in Open World though I haven't given it my usual tests yet.

Here it is soloing a HoT hero Point (though one of the easier ones). Gameplay is a bit scuffed as it was my first time on the build, but it's really survivable. Has decent TTK on the champ and allows for quite a few mistakes.

I'm home from work so I went ahead and recorded a full trailblazer with undead rune condi weaver setup against the mark I golem.  Completion time is 31 seconds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is no reason to run Celestial in Open World unless you really can't afford other stats. What makes Celestial a good armor spread is that it is balanced in everything, but you don't need everything in PvE. You either go full Power, full Condi, or full Support. It'd work but you'd honestly just be better going with one of the extremes. Not only will it work better for DPS, it will teach you how to play better overall because you are more specialized.

Celestial in WvW is probably the meta armor set for Elementalist at the moment for roaming only. The recent buff the stat spread got is nice too, adds some extra damage with the longer boon duration and expertise, but its hardly groundbreaking. Ele got better but its still in about the same place it was before: you'll still  be unkillable in 1v1s but struggle to take on anything more than two fairly bad players. But even most Eles don't take full Celestial, most toss in other armor types to help balance it out. You can also get decent enough results by mixing other stat spreads altogether like Trailblaizers and Marshals, but thats just ez mode imo. However, if you're into Zerg play for WvW, stick with Marauder/Beserker or a power based armor set. Celestial Ele can work in zergs, but as with PvE, you're better off going to the extreme because you're only handicapping yourself with the stat spread.

EDIT:  Didn't even notice this was a 2018 thread lol

Edited by fuzzyp.6295
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, fuzzyp.6295 said:

There is no reason to run Celestial in Open World unless you really can't afford other stats. What makes Celestial a good armor spread is that it is balanced in everything, but you don't need everything in PvE. You either go full Power, full Condi, or full Support. It'd work but you'd honestly just be better going with one of the extremes. Not only will it work better for DPS, it will teach you how to play better overall because you are more specialized.

Celestial in WvW is probably the meta armor set for Elementalist at the moment for roaming only. The recent buff the stat spread got is nice too, adds some extra damage with the longer boon duration and expertise, but its hardly groundbreaking. Ele got better but its still in about the same place it was before: you'll still  be unkillable in 1v1s but struggle to take on anything more than two fairly bad players. But even most Eles don't take full Celestial, most toss in other armor types to help balance it out. You can also get decent enough results by mixing other stat spreads altogether like Trailblaizers and Marshals, but thats just ez mode imo. However, if you're into Zerg play for WvW, stick with Marauder/Beserker or a power based armor set. Celestial Ele can work in zergs, but as with PvE, you're better off going to the extreme because you're only handicapping yourself with the stat spread.

EDIT:  Didn't even notice this was a 2018 thread lol

Old thread somebody dug up, but it's relevant!  I agree with this assessment.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 2:09 PM, Sunshine.5014 said:

Many people have tested Cele since the patch. Most came down to the same conclusion:

- Cele is certainly *viable* in both Open World PvE and WvW.

- Cele is *suboptimal* compared to Trailblazer. Trailblazer has higher Vitality, higher Toughness (effective healing), higher DPS, lower Boons Duration (which you don't need since the patch introduced boons cap).

The rest is up to your play style and what you enjoy.

lmfao this comment is way back from 2018....and i never decided to play ele btw 🙂

In wvw it "seems" you need to push at least 2k power with out might and blood lust stacks and about 40% crit chase you can get close to this with full cele but you got to add in some main combo power gear or run a power rune set but this makes you a bit more glassly. It works better on weaver because of barrier and getting doable effectiveness form healing power tempest needs to fall in more of an support roll because it lack this barrier and core ele is core ele.

The lack of barrier for tempest and core ele realty holds back there ability to use cele well.