Where will we go next?

Evil.1580

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:I never said anything about the personal story Konig. Lore is not just contained in the story missions.

And if you read, I also brought up the open world meta events. Even the non-meta events and NPC dialogue, we learn next to nothing about Orr beyond landscape and form of architecture. The most lore we get comes from the Orrian History Scrolls and Arah, and the latter is more focused on the Elder Races than humanity or the gods.

Most of the Orr campaign focuses on asura magitech, followed by sylvari stuff, followed by charr tech, and only then followed by human history and magic rituals.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:And if you read, I also brought up the open world meta events. Even the non-meta events and NPC dialogue, we learn next to nothing about Orr beyond landscape and form of architecture. The most lore we get comes from the Orrian History Scrolls and Arah, and the latter is more focused on the Elder Races than humanity or the gods.Landscape, and architecture, are two of the biggest elements to a civilization, as the landscape shapes the people in it, and the building reflect that. Orr, and the Arabic names of the places in it, shares many of the same properties as the Crystal desert in Path of Fire. These are places no on mentions in any note, or book, or dialogue, but its entirely unnecessary to do so because the names given to these places indicate the purposes or intent behind them.

In many ways its a lot like the Elder Scrolls series. In Skyrim for instance we learn that the ancient nords believed all of their gods had animal forms, and represented them as such, and one can find these animal representations all across the ancient tombs of Skyrim, but beyond the fact that Alduin was the dragon, no one ever tells you directly what animals correspond to what god(why would they, its their religion, they already know what gods are which animals and thus have no reason to talk about it) but through deduction of the environment, and unrelated stories, one can figure out which god is which animal.

The things you describe, like the asuran magi-tech gizmos, and charr tanks, are things that largely just show up for one mission, or event, and then never get mentioned or show up again. They are barely footnotes in the lore, and are basically just mission mcguffins, whereas the design, layout, and naming, of places in Orr far better informs one about the culture of Orr then any of those things do about the other civilizations.

I am personally far, far more interested in going to areas unexplored in Guild Wars 1. This includes some of the northeast, but more of the northwest regions of Central Tyria.

I also want to see what's further east and west of Central Tyria, going around the equator of the globe rather than returning to the southern regions we already know (including Cantha).

ANet can save Cantha for Guild Wars 2's final expansion... and make no mistake, Guild Wars 2 will have a final expansion.

Guild Wars 1 players can all shed a single collective tear that our final act -- or the dragons' final act -- will be to restore the Jade Sea and Echovald Forest to their natural state. Or something.

@Aneirin Cadwall.9126 said:I am personally far, far more interested in going to areas unexplored in Guild Wars 1. This includes some of the northeast, but more of the northwest regions of Central Tyria.

I also want to see what's further east and west of Central Tyria, going around the equator of the globe rather than returning to the southern regions we already know (including Cantha).

ANet can save Cantha for Guild Wars 2's final expansion... and make no mistake, Guild Wars 2 will have a final expansion.

Guild Wars 1 players can all shed a single collective tear that our final act -- or the dragons' final act -- will be to restore the Jade Sea and Echovald Forest to their natural state. Or something.

Agreed on new areas being the most exciting - Woodland Cascades and deep sea pls!

@Aneirin Cadwall.9126 said:I also want to see what's further east and west of Central Tyria, going around the equator of the globe rather than returning to the southern regions we already know (including Cantha).Well, west of Tyria the Maguuma continues until it hits a coast. Fort Koga was established to stop people trying to attack Kryta from that coast. Tyria is basically the western most end of the supercontinent.

I don't really want to see Cantha. It's not a dislike of Cantha, but I would like to see something "newer" or fills out the current map a bit more.

I would prefer the Charr Homelands and the Far Shiverpeaks. The Norn are in desperate need for development, and the Charr could use some development as well. The latter got a bit with the Olmakhan. I do like the idea of another Charr Civil War and turmoil within the Blood Legion. It provides a nice potential hook for charr and human characters. Though I am somewhat fatigued by more branded areas, I would like to see what happened around the area from where Kraalkatorik woke. Hopefully in either the Living World or next expansion we can see something about restoring Branded areas. Meanwhile with the Norn, we could explore their place in the past and future of Tyria, learn more about the Spirits of the Wild, and explore their connections to other races (e.g., kodan, jotun, giants, dwarves, etc.).

The LW episodes should wrap things up with Elona, Palawa Joko, the Chantry, and maybe Kraalkatorik.

What I don't understand is why the underwater stuff never really got any use. They made this huge underwater balance patch (well, buff pack) with ascended breathers and swim-speed infusions and all that stuff, yet the next Fractal they released wasn't underwater, the next LWS4 release didn't have much underwater as far as I know (haven't played it yet but it doesn't seem underwater-heavy), it just seemed like a "Hey let's do this and then that", except "that" never happened.

How about an all-underwater Jade Sea/Sea of Sorrows/whichever other body of water map? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of underwater stuff but it just seems to be so vastly unexplored. And it would give them a great opportunity to explore the mysterious Largos, a race I've been fascinated by ever since doing the Personal Story.

I just hope the "fight" with Jormag and Primordius won't be the standard "chase the dragon and kill him".The level of gameplay/lore/mechanics/global meta events quality should increase, although I am not so sure considering HoT expansion is a lot better than PoF and this has been discussed multiple times with polls and standard topics, here and other external sites.Don't get me wrong - PoF introduced many great things but took a lot more (killed vertical maps, killed global meta events chained with the story, killed the whole epic mood from HoT).

@"JackassTheX.6351" said:What I don't understand is why the underwater stuff never really got any use. They made this huge underwater balance patch (well, buff pack) with ascended breathers and swim-speed infusions and all that stuff, yet the next Fractal they released wasn't underwater, the next LWS4 release didn't have much underwater as far as I know (haven't played it yet but it doesn't seem underwater-heavy), it just seemed like a "Hey let's do this and then that", except "that" never happened.The patch was designed to make water combat less terrible, it still doesn't make it not terrible, and it still doesn't make underwater content not a drag.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:I just hope the "fight" with Jormag and Primordius won't be the standard "chase the dragon and kill him".Given that Jormag is apparently so close to already explored areas that Braham and his bunch of C-Squad goons were able to get into visual distance of him in little time, He can't be too far off.

@"Valik Shin.9027" said:Cantha does makes some sense if we are trying to deal with dragons. Kunnavang is the oldest friendly dragon we know of and if we are going for the "replacing " elder dragon approach perhaps kunnavang I strong enough for the job

The player character of GW2 probably doesn’t know about her, though. Not to mention there are surely more “regular” dragons out in the entire world than like what, 5? 6?

@Fenom.9457 said:

@"Valik Shin.9027" said:Cantha does makes some sense if we are trying to deal with dragons. Kunnavang is the oldest friendly dragon we know of and if we are going for the "replacing " elder dragon approach perhaps kunnavang I strong enough for the job

The player character of GW2 probably doesn’t know about her, though. Not to mention there are surely more “regular” dragons out in the entire world than like what, 5? 6?

Two entire species of dragons, possibly three. In Cantha, that is. Four if you count wyverns (which are physiologically very similar to saltspray dragons anyways, just as drakes are very physiology similar to rockhide dragons and dragon mosses), and five if the Bone Dragons' original species isn't extinct but just MIA atm.

If Anet is going to pull in Saltspray Dragons as "replacements' though, then I'd suspect that Shiny will be playing a role shortly. TBH, Shiny is the only reason I can think that Kralkatorrik would move to Vabbi, since it seems he had no interested in either the Grand Court of Sebelkah or the Hidden City of Ahdashim. If Kralk went to Vabbi to chase down a 250 year old Shiny, Shiny could have easily fled to Kourna where Kralk pursued.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:TBH, Shiny is the only reason I can think that Kralkatorrik would move to Vabbi, since it seems he had no interested in either the Grand Court of Sebelkah or the Hidden City of Ahdashim.I always assumed he went to Vabbi because Vabbi was one of the most magical lands seen in Guild Wars, with giant tapestries of text and floating magical gardens all over the place.

Also, both the Hidden City and the Grand Court have been branded, so I'm not sure why you would say he had no interest in them.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@Fenom.9457 said:Id rather cover the entire map we have now instead of more layers - and they move Primordus on purpose, for a ring of fire/ sea of sorrows expansionThere's not enough room in the Ring of Fire for an expansion. The Ring of Fire only has one island left unexplored, and its only the size of Ember Bay. The Sea of Sorrows is just water. Not to mention, going underwater to reach Primordus would be pointless since Primordus is underground, not underwater. So if we went into the water, it would just to be to find a place to dig into underground where Primordus is.

Primordus only went to the Ring of Fire so he could absorb Mordremoth's power, but that's already over, so he has no reason to stay there. It makes more sense for Primordus to wake up, move back under the Shiverpeaks where hes safer, and then use that to give us an expansion that begins in the Deldrimor front area, then has us go underground via ancient dwarven/asuran tunnels, to find one of the old Asuran cities, and then reach Pridmordus.

While the dragons aren't racially coded or anything, each one of them has been used to explore, or gain new information on, a new area of the world.-Zhaitan was Orr/humans/gods lore-Mordremoth was Maguuma/Sylvari/Forgotten lore-Kralkatorik was Elona/Crystal desert lore-Bubbles will likely be Cantha lore-Jormag will be Far Shiverpeaks/Norn lore-Primrodus will be Southern Shierpeaks/Dawrven/Asuran lore

That one island on the fire isles would be a suitable guild hall spot, would be neat thematically.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Two entire species of dragons, possibly three. In Cantha, that is. Four if you count wyverns (which are physiologically very similar to saltspray dragons anyways, just as drakes are very physiology similar to rockhide dragons and dragon mosses), and five if the Bone Dragons' original species isn't extinct but just MIA atm.

If Anet is going to pull in Saltspray Dragons as "replacements' though, then I'd suspect that
will be playing a role shortly. TBH, Shiny is the only reason I can think that Kralkatorrik would move to Vabbi, since it seems he had no interested in either the Grand Court of Sebelkah or the Hidden City of Ahdashim. If Kralk went to Vabbi to chase down a 250 year old Shiny, Shiny could have easily fled to Kourna where Kralk pursued.

That all sounds good, my only point was how much room there isn’t to introduce entirely new dragon species, and have the player character go where we want instead of forcing cantha just for one dragon. Either way I just want to see more non ED dragons out there in the world

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@"cptaylor.2670" said:I feel like you just took the last half of the map and put 5 everywhere.Yeah, I have a hard time placing 5 because it could literally be basically anywhere, and make sense. It is, in some ways, both the least important, and the most important, of the episodes. I would get rid of it entirely if it wasn't for That Shaman suggesting there would be 7 episodes, and thus, i need to think about where all 7 would be.

I'm not so sure about 6. I guess you did it because it's closer to the purple mountain, but I'm not sure what all is there really that would be worthy of story.Several things. One the old Sunspear Sanctuary in Kourna is located there, and, unless Joko collapsed the whole place in, it would make for a great central command for the forces we gather against Kralkatorik. Its a good spot near enough to Kralkatorik's lair that it would be a relatively short march to his lair, but still far enough away that you wouldn't get swarms of branded coming off the mountains because you are too close.

It would also be useful to the Sunspears themselves. We have already set up a base in Vabbi, as part of the Griffon collection, and they have one in Istan, under the Astralarium, it would make sense for them to turn the Old Sunspear Sanctuary in Kourna back into their base for the region. Helping them regain their foothold in Elona that much more. Not to mention the choice of letting the Sunspears into Amnoon which further helps their recovery.

That area is also where the Elonian Centaurs lived, and while Joko claims to have killed them all, I wouldn't be surprised if we find a living tribe to interact with. Would be great to see more non-hostile centaurs, and possibly get them on our side in the battle against Kralkatorik.

If we're going to the Charr lands and east, then I would wager that the area where Kralk first took flight will come in before we fight Kralk for some reason.I've suspected that as well, and the area around "Lake Kralkatorik" in the Charr Homeland got updates back when Episode 1 came out, the same update that also changed parts of the map around what would become Sandsweapt Isle, The Domain of Kourna, and the area around Jahai/the Waterworks.

If we do end up going there I would suspect it would be to find something of KRalkatorik's, be it a scale, or blood, or some magical tie, to use either to make a new weapon to use against him like the Dragonblood Spear was, or to help /empower Aurene in some way.

It would make sense narrative as well-Episode 1 = Help the Sunspears, gain the Corsairs as allies, find out Joko is back and looking for something-Episode 2 = Find the Olmakhan, defeat the Inquest in Elona, stop Joko's portals, and try(fail) to prevent him from getting the Scarab Plague-Episode 3 = Stop Joko from releasing the plague, and end his threat of invasion-Episode 4 = Deal with the Fallout of Joko's death, Order of Whispers/Shadows stuff, change gear to fighting Kralkatorik-Episode 5 = Go to Charr Homelands are around Lake Kralaktorik to find mcguffin needed for anti-Kralkatorik weapon/help Aurene. Likely deal with some more Olmakhan/Charr stuff.-Episode 6 = Go to Kournan Sunspear Sanctuary area to establish forward base where all of our allies/whatever Pact soldiers Logan can send can rally at before moving on the Dragon. Meet up with, and gain allies in some Centaur tribe.-Episode 7 = allied army moves on Kralkatorik, we use anti-Kralkatorik weapon/Aurene to beat him, Aurene takes his place so planet wont die, insert hook to Expansion 4 here.

I don't see us getting more of Istan thoughI largely agree. I just put it as a possibility since the datamined map goes down further into Istan enough to where they could maybe squeeze another map in if they wanted, its on the really low possibly chart for me.

I guess it all depends on where we are going in the next expansion. I'm also not sure that we will actually deal with Kralk in the purple mountain. A partially suspect that Kralk will fly North again towards Scavenger's causeway passing west of the desolation.I would be really sprised if Anet had him fly off again, simply becuase it would be utterrly stupid idea to try to follow up a desert themed expansion with ANOTHER desert themed expansion, especially when Path of Fire already hit all the major Kralkatorik beats one would expect(Vlast, Glint, her lair, the spear, etc.) since Balthazar was going after Kralkatorik, and thus, we were going after Kralkatorik indriectly by going after Balthazar. I just don't see the narrative hooks needed to support what would amount to another Kralkatorik themed expansion.

Well when I mentioned scavengers causeway I meant within this season, not an expansion set in that area. That area is kind of small anyway.

But that’s also just wishful thinking because I would love to fill out the rest of Orr.

@"Tyson.5160" said:I always imagined that we would be fighting Kralky in mid flight. Scavenger’s causeway could be where we crash land him.As much as Anet has tried to improve since we fought Zhaitan, I don't think that would be possible.

I could see them making the griffon collection "canon" regardless of if we did it or not, and having some sunspears on griffons alongside us as we are on Aurene fighting Kralk, but that wouldn't be some big chance along the coast of Elona into the Scavanger's causeway, it would be over Mount Kralkatorik.

@Tyson.5160 said:

@"cptaylor.2670" said:Well when I mentioned scavengers causeway I meant within this season, not an expansion set in that area. That area is kind of small anyway.Ahh, ok.

I always imagined that we would be fighting Kralky in mid flight. Scavenger’s causeway could be where we crash land him.

Whoa now I really want that. Maybe he crashed into the sea though, and expansion 3 is us finding his body to make sure he’s dead and discover the deep sea dragon is very close to attacking tyria, and we move strait into the ocean after it

Archived