I don't like this new aura system...

ROMANG.1903

This is a flat out buff to certain skills and a new gameplay feature as well - what is there to complain about? You havn't lost anything at all, it's literally only gains. As several people have pointed out, it opens up new synergies and possibly builds. I'm looking forward to experimenting.

Just because it's not the change you would prefer doesn't make it bad.

I don't see why anyone would be unhappy with the new aura buffs. It added extra utility to skills that desperately needed it. Aura's should probably get a bit of a bigger rework in the future, but for now this was a nice change. I wish we would have a little longer to detonate them though. 4 seconds is pretty short and they kinda feel a bit clumsy. I suppose an additional two seconds of having the new denotation effect linger around would be good, but then you just wouldn't use it until the aura ran out.. eh, its mostly a L2P issue right now I guess and the clunkiness will probably wear off soon.

Over all this patch was a great step in the right direction to bringing back some of the midline ele game play. My props to Arena-Net for this one! But please don't call the job done, we still have a ways to go for core Elementalist to be on the same level as other classes right now.

@Rhyse.8179 said:This is a flat out buff to certain skills and a new gameplay feature as well - what is there to complain about? You havn't lost anything at all, it's literally only gains. As several people have pointed out, it opens up new synergies and possibly builds. I'm looking forward to experimenting.

Just because it's not the change you would prefer doesn't make it bad.

Having that new mechanic forced on every weapons, means that you have to use it if you want to play at peak efficiency. That means there is no way to avoid this mechanic, which in turns means it has to be implemented perfectly and fit with the rest of the gameplay. Right now it feels clunky and out of place. No one's saying anything about wether it is too strong or too weak. We're merely making suggestions on how to make it more fluid, less stressful, and less restrictive to use.

@"fuzzyp.6295" said:eh, its mostly a L2P issue right now I guess and the clunkiness will probably wear off soon.

I perfectly manage to use the mechanic, I just don't like being forced to do it. Stop thinking everyone who complains about a recent change just needs to "l2p"...

@ROMANG.1903 said:

@"fuzzyp.6295" said:eh, its mostly a L2P issue right now I guess and the clunkiness will probably wear off soon.

I perfectly manage to use the mechanic, I just don't like being forced to do it. Stop thinking everyone who complains about a recent change just needs to "l2p"...

Lol I wasn't even referring to you, I was talking about myself having to learn how to use the new mechanic effectively as a L2P issue. And ultimately, it is a L2P issue right now since its a brand new mechanic that hasn't been part of the Elementalist kit before and we need to learn how to use it effectively in all game modes. It hasn't even been a day yet so I doubt anyone is using it 100% perfectly. ;)

I don't get all the complaining. It's a 3x condi cleanse on abilities that people said they never use anyway. Nearly every build has a Weapon Aura somewhere in it, now that aura actually does something for you!Plus, there's more build diversity since you don't have to rely heavily on Water Trait line.Lastly, there shouldn't be a clunky feeling cause Aura's don't last long. Either pop the aura and it's second effect to condi cleanse. Or pop the aura, attack with another skill on the same bar, then activate the second aura skill. It would fit nicely, even for PVP weaver's who run through skills pretty fast.

@Stallic.2397 said:I don't get all the complaining. It's a 3x condi cleanse on abilities that people said they never use anyway. Nearly every build has a Weapon Aura somewhere in it, now that aura actually does something for you!Plus, there's more build diversity since you don't have to rely heavily on Water Trait line.Lastly, there shouldn't be a clunky feeling cause Aura's don't last long. Either pop the aura and it's second effect to condi cleanse. Or pop the aura, attack with another skill on the same bar, then activate the second aura skill. It would fit nicely, even for PVP weaver's who run through skills pretty fast.

It's not just the cleanse, either. There's damage, healing, boons, stuns, and a blast finisher. Shocking aura discharge with lightning rod is a nice little burst.

@ROMANG.1903 said:

@"lLobo.7960" said:People need to understand.

This was not a buff to auras, it was a buff to aura weapon skills.

The weapon skills now have more use. Thats it.Fire shield on focus is not such an useless skill anymore.

If you look at it from this perspective, it was an interesting change.

We all understood very well what it was, thank you. The change is still bad and the points everyone made still stand.

We're not arguing wether or not it was a good idea to buff those skills. I think it was, but the issue is
how
they were buffed.

Doesn't seem like. Everyone is calling this "the new aura system". Its not a new system, it was a buff to core skills.

"Why doesnt it work with tempest warhorn?"Because its not an aura system, it was a buff to certain skills. The warhorn skill already does more things than just an aura, it apply protection, increase duration of boons and gives magnetic aura. I think the lack of a transmute on it was fully intentional.

@"Stallic.2397" said:I don't get all the complaining. It's a 3x condi cleanse on abilities that people said they never use anyway. Nearly every build has a Weapon Aura somewhere in it, now that aura actually does something for you!Plus, there's more build diversity since you don't have to rely heavily on Water Trait line.Lastly, there shouldn't be a clunky feeling cause Aura's don't last long. Either pop the aura and it's second effect to condi cleanse. Or pop the aura, attack with another skill on the same bar, then activate the second aura skill. It would fit nicely, even for PVP weaver's who run through skills pretty fast.

Again, no one is complaining about those skills being buffed... I actually find it really good that we don't need Water traitline to get condi cleanse, and that these Aura weapon skills are now useful.

The issue is that it was done in a way that adds unneeded micromanagement, on a class that is already complex enough."Transmuting" the Aura is a thing we will want to do (Because why wouldn't you use a free AOE??), so why should we have to press the button a second time instead of being able to move on to the rest of our skillchain?And since transmuting the Aura removes it, the optimal way of using it is to wait until the very end to do so, which adds even more unneeded micromanagement. The easy way to fix this would be to have the transmutation AOE occur on skill activation. That would remove the benefit of being able to transmute Auras from other sources, but I find this to be way too situational to be of any real benefit: The transmutation cooldown representing a good chunk of the Aura weapon skill's cooldown, makes it likely that when the former is ready, the later is too.

@Victory.2879 said:Well as a staff tempest I'm glad I can ignore all these as I watch weavers get even stronger.

Hopefully they will rework them in the future to not be so weapon specific.

If this goes over well perhaps they'll take the aura concept and develop an Elite around it. I don't see them removing them from being weapon specific unless it was an Elite dedicated to the act.

@Conqueror.3682 said:

Wouldn't it be more simple/fluid to have the detonation be the base skill, with the side effect of applying an Aura?

I think this is much better than a detonation mechanic.

the amount of times I have died to confusion since this aura change...

im a tempest DD player for PvP and switching to Air for static aura was a good way to deal with mesmers and confusion but now when I switch over I have to kill myself on confusion procs from activating the detonation of auras that have a CAST time before I have access to the aura packing cleansing waters that would have normally saved me.

I love the new aura mechanics but clearly the practical functionalities of them need to be adressed.

@AllNightPlayer.1286 said:I don’t understand the problem. :astonished:The new mechanics are completely optional. It’s still possible to use/activate auras the same way as before. But now, you can choose, to do something special, if you have an aura up.

The mechanic exists on almost every build, which means that, if you wish to play your elementalist in an optimal way, you have to use them, or else you loose the utility or damage they provide. I don't have the choice to remove the option of transmuting auras in return for something else.If I don't use them, I won't do as well as someone who uses them. It is that simple.

On a side note, my sword/dagger build was nerfed with the last patch, because they replaced the might stack when receiving an Aura with another trait that is quite useless in PvE...

I don't know how to feel about it. I think that its clunky in that auras are spread so far out on weapons and that you can receive all auras but only detonate one or two depending on the weapon set that you have equipped, and even then its lackluster in application.

That said, I play a healer ele and the Frost Aura change has resulted in every skill on S/D being a heal skill, so now I feel like my healing on Weaver is on par with my Tempest build as the #4 has made up for the lack of a Water overload for the most part, getting similar HPS results (though less cleansing).

The Fire Aura also has extremely.. well, borderline OP applications for basically making burning builds immune to conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

The new aura changes didn't help with anything. It's just extra button presses. There's even a 1/4s delay on top of the 1/2 cast time before the detonation effects go off, much like how aftershock's immobilize portion never hits thanks to delays. Not sure why balance team loves to associate elementalists with so many skills slow, unimpactful skills.

Archived