Match Ranking

maxan.7836

I notice a trend of more blow out matches when my queue time is longer, but sometimes the player skill deviation is less of an issue than the team comp we have on each side.

the matchmaker only got a limited pick of players to pick from within your rating range at a certain time of the day. it just RNG if you get paired with a couple of people who either think like you in a match and have a team comp that gels and gets the job done. or you get a team of headless chickens including yourself because everyone's to blame (but speciality the thief )

or maybe the pvp matchmaker runs like the mystic forge and skritt just grab a bunch of people and sort them randomly onto teams. I would say quick and efficiently but queue times getting longer so maybe we need to upgrade from skritt to something faster.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@"Nightmare.1234" said:I notice a trend of more blow out matches when my queue time is longer, but sometimes the player skill deviation is less of an issue than the team comp we have on each side.

I've actually noticed something around this, too. Where when I have a queue time that is 1.5-2x longer than the "average" time, the game feels less balanced, one way or another.

In solo-queue unranked, if my queue time goes beyond 5 minutes, I cancel it because I feel like I was likely to be matched against a 5-man premade.

This is all just feels, no proof.

Well to be fair, you cant really say if a player is legend league or true bronze league, because lets say you are legend or plat or whatever and you need to go away for some days or weeks, then you can say bye to your legend league and stick to bronze. its the decaying point of ranking that lets pro players play with noobs/beginners.

@Lucas.3718 said:Well to be fair, you cant really say if a player is legend league or true bronze league, because lets say you are legend or plat or whatever and you need to go away for some days or weeks, then you can say bye to your legend league and stick to bronze. its the decaying point of ranking that lets pro players play with noobs/beginners.

Effective rating =/= skill rating.

@phokus.8934 said:@Ben Phongluangtham.1065Just show the MMR for each player in a game to stop these type of threads. We definitely need more transparency rather than all of this guess work.

I would like this too, but people should realize the game mode is dead, and no amount of tinkering will fix in part of anet, short of adding content.. I would be surprised if there are more than 250 players actively spvping in ranked. So depending when you play, you might get a pool of at best 50 players online, so the matchmake can either take forever to happen, or pair you with higher ranks

• ArenaNet Staff

@Lucas.3718 said:Well to be fair, you cant really say if a player is legend league or true bronze league, because lets say you are legend or plat or whatever and you need to go away for some days or weeks, then you can say bye to your legend league and stick to bronze. its the decaying point of ranking that lets pro players play with noobs/beginners.

Decay does not affect matchmaking. Matchmaking uses your undecayed rating.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

ohhh ok didnt know

@"Axelteas.7192" said:This season im finding pro teams in silver, thats unacceptable... matches losing 15-500

Can you tell me the date/time and exact score of the match where you as a silver player had pro teams? I'd like to look at that match.

Is there even point in telling you that?

Sure, we could look into the match and try to see if there was something weird that happened with the matchmaker. However, in this case it wouldn't have mattered. We didn't find any matches where the poster played any "pro teams." Or anyone even in high platinum.

what an ignorant statetment no offence, you are assuming they are posting on the same account that they played on.

Any chances of showing player's rating at the end of the match?

I think I've had some matches with teammates/opponents who have a several hundred rating difference compared to my own. My friend and I were duo queuing last night during off hours and we had a match where I only gained 1 rating. I was wondering if a dev could check out the match to see how much of a rating discrepancy there was between my friend and I compared to those of the other players in that match.https://imgur.com/a/PpGqLj8

@phokus.8934 said:@"Ben Phongluangtham.1065"Just show the MMR for each player in a game to stop these type of threads. We definitely need more transparency rather than all of this guess work.

Yes Ben, I can't remember what season it was, maybe 3 or 4... we could see the other team badges but somehow someone though it was a good idea to "hide" a feature that was allready implemented.If you want to stop specullation we need transparency... Else I am allowed to believe in that 50/50 theory, when you are winning "matchmaker" finds a team of noobs for you to carry agains better people.Am I right or are you going to show those badges during match? ;)

I was doing really well, getting players who knew what they were doing and winning matches. Suddenly I get games with people who don't even know how to make a proper build. I'm in gold and suddenly I'm losing only 11,10 points per loss instead of 13 I had been getting before. I even had 1 match of -8. How am I supposed to keep winning and raise my rating, when the matchmaker doesn't even think I'm on teams that should be winning?

@"Ben Phongluangtham.1065"It seems to me you don't want to fix the Match Making.Luckily I have a solution to work it around! Wow!(For the hundredth time)This method would reduce the frustration factor what Match Making can cause when it draws together players with totally different amount of pvp experiences or/and ineffective builds against the opposite team. These are the matches what we call Total Blowouts with result like 100-500 or worse.The player can fall hundreds of league rank points in a bad row of games what happens more often then you think.

Instead of that it would be much more fair if the system would reward the player's personal efforts. Even if the player is on the the losing side the system should consider her or his personal match points and calculate the league rank point loss according to this. The higher personal match points the less league skill rank points to lose (maybe even none at all). I think it'll make the game much more fair and less less less frustrating, the community less toxic and your rank will be reflecting your personal pvp skill better not your luck.We already got the following match statistics in the game: damage, healing, kills, deaths, revives, offense, defense.More would be need to cover the different builds and playstyles like "party heal" and "boons applied on party members" etc...This system would keep the fighting spirit in players even if the match seems clearly a Total Blowout.I think it will also prevent the "idle on spawn point and cursing" type of behavior.

@Bazooka.3590 said:@"Ben Phongluangtham.1065"It seems to me you don't want to fix the Match Making.Luckily I have a solution to work it around! Wow!(For the hundredth time)This method would reduce the frustration factor what Match Making can cause when it draws together players with totally different amount of pvp experiences or/and ineffective builds against the opposite team. These are the matches what we call Total Blowouts with result like 100-500 or worse.The player can fall hundreds of league rank points in a bad row of games what happens more often then you think.

Instead of that it would be much more fair if the system would reward the player's personal efforts. Even if the player is on the the losing side the system should consider her or his personal match points and calculate the league rank point loss according to this. The higher personal match points the less league skill rank points to lose (maybe even none at all). I think it'll make the game much more fair and less less less frustrating, the community less toxic and your rank will be reflecting your personal pvp skill better not your luck.We already got the following match statistics in the game: damage, healing, kills, deaths, revives, offense, defense.More would be need to cover the different builds and playstyles like "party heal" and "boons applied on party members" etc...This system would keep the fighting spirit in players even if the match seems clearly a Total Blowout.I think it will also prevent the "idle on spawn point and cursing" type of behavior.

That's not going to do much because statistics don't necessarly mean anything. If i'm playing 1v2 on far , my team should be able to win the 4v3 on other points. On such scenario, i'm unlikely to get any stat. If we lose the match, statistics will tell i was useless, and my teammates did a better job, though they couldn't manage to win a 4v3 situation. Would it really be fair ?

What needs to happen is to have a leaderboard where everyone is at his deserved spot during a long time, and thats why you need to get rid of useless placement games, creating either frustrating either illusion of being good, starting back a few weeks later.

I come here again to expose my experience, as I told in the past this season again when I'm 1-2 matches to pass my pvp rank Anet puts me in a spiral with losers teams to keep me stuck in low levels. This way they guarantee low waiting times because in high ranks there's less people. Ans when I told that in the past season son CM said I was conspiranoic about that. No, Anet does it in purpose, they dont want so much people in high divisions. I QUIT I feel treated like ...... damn manipulations

@Devilman.1532 said:

@"Axelteas.7192" said:This season im finding pro teams in silver, thats unacceptable... matches losing 15-500

Can you tell me the date/time and exact score of the match where you as a silver player had pro teams? I'd like to look at that match.

Is there even point in telling you that?

Sure, we could look into the match and try to see if there was something weird that happened with the matchmaker. However, in this case it wouldn't have mattered. We didn't find any matches where the poster played any "pro teams." Or anyone even in high platinum.

So the old "working as intended" ? Come on with this many people for all these years telling you how broken it is, posting vids, ect I hope you guys aren't going to cling to the notion that the matchmaker is not a train wreck. Listen to your customers for once instead of trying to disprove everything they say.

For every legit match maker problem there are like what, 6 bitter people who are just angry they had a bad team? It's something to monitor, but not something where you should ever listen to what the most common opinion is.

Archived